• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still looking for answers here.

I haven't gotten a DIY recipe using a golden nugget myself yet, but I glimpsed a "golden plate" (as in a dinner plate) recipe in a review of the game that showed a gold nugget as part of a recipe. Having remembered that recipe, I chose to sell the 2 I found (10k bells each) to expedite the first loan payment. Worth it, IMO. Can't be that rare if in one day I found two.

Last edited:

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
My starting Villagers were Frobert and Pashmina.

I don't think I like the design of the Frog Villagers very much. Pashmina seemed to get annoyed because I talked to her too much.

I got three new villagers about to move in. Gonna need to do some careful setup of my Tree layouts to make room for all the new villagers moving in.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
So how do I learn how to make a shovel or axe?
Talk to Tom Nook with fish or bugs in your inventory. Select "I found a creature." Keep doing this until he gives you a blueprint for the axe. I don't recall the specifics of the shovel, but I got my first one for 100 Nook Miles from the pilot while I was visiting a random island.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Think i need to shift expectations. After playing stardew and a few other survival games i figured since AC was the grandaddy there would be similar loops and pacing.

This is its own animal though. Little variety in activities and no way to accelerate daily progression? AC is an odd bird. Its like it wants me to play something else.

If this is the first game in the series you've played, I don't blame you. But yeah, ultimately the idea is for this game to be a part of your daily routine for months rather than a game to binge in weeks.

However, the start of this game is a bit slower than past entries. It looks like it'll pick up after a few days once more villagers and shops are on the island.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Talk to Tom Nook with fish or bugs in your inventory. Select "I found a creature." Keep doing this until he gives you a blueprint for the axe. I don't recall the specifics of the shovel, but I got my first one for 100 Nook Miles from the pilot while I was visiting a random island.
I see, thanks, I kept selling my bugs and fish D:

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have apples, oranges, pears, coconuts, peaches. What am I missing besides cherries? And does anybody want to trade fruit? I'd like to finish out my fruit root nook miles card today!

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Can we take a second to appreciate how good the HD rumble is in this game? Being able to fish with the rumble alone while the sound is off, and telling how big the fish is based on how hard it rumbles, is amazing. The way the rumble is just barely noticeable as the bobber hits the water; chopping trees has a strong vibrating effect as if you're feeling each chop reverberating back to you, shaking trees also has slight rumble to it. Just soooo goood.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got a great white shark, holy shit that thing is huge.

Funny because I'm trying to farm for a boot but I got a shark instead.

Snagret

Oct 25, 2017
Think i need to shift expectations. After playing stardew and a few other survival games i figured since AC was the grandaddy there would be similar loops and pacing.

This is its own animal though. Little variety in activities and no way to accelerate daily progression? AC is an odd bird. Its like it wants me to play something else.
Yeah it was a bit strange to me how limited my first day on the island felt. Maybe I just don't remember the other games very well but I feel like this is definitely the slowest intro in the series as far as what it lets you do on the first day. Still looking forward to day 2 though, I played for a couple hours and decided to put it down instead of just grinding out nook miles.

What's everyone's opinion on the music so far? I remember waiting for the tune to change from 2pm to 3pm but when it rolled over the song sounded exactly the same. Is it just that similar or does it not change every hour anymore?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Gotta put this thread on ignore for a bit. Far too many cool things I'd rather discover myself lol.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
So I have a boat load of era people on my friends list from other games in the past that are currently playing this game.

How do I visit their island. I want to buy fruit from their vendor. All I got are peaches.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Stardew valley is more Harvest Moon than animal crossing.

The problem is people using any of the other games as a comparison point for Animal Crossing to begin with.

Why people continue to do so is a bit strange, especially factoring Harvest Moon / Story of Seasons and Stardew Valley gameplay loop of running a farm, maintaining your stamina gauge, and managing it within a somewhat strict daily time limit.

While you can plant stuff in Animal Crossing it is not the central focus, nor is there stamina or time management since it's tied to real time. I've said in previous posts on the subject the similarities are superficial at best and it is misleading use them as a example for Animal Crossing in terms of a gameplay loop.

Deleted member 1238

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's definitely unique. Animal Crossing is a game which you aren't necessarily supposed to grind out for several hours every play session. It's a game where you'll sometimes find yourself checking in for just 30 minutes or so to do your daily routine. But there are also days where you'll easily spend hours.

The early days of a new animal crossing game are always somewhat slow, but New Horizons takes things to a new level since the island is completely barren and you have to build it up. This does give the game a little more direction, but it also means that I'm these early days it's easy to run out of things to work towards. Obviously as you build up the island that will change, and it's easy to see how the game will open up. In most games you'd be able to set aside a few hours and grind out the opening tutorial, but because animal crossing is synchronized with the real world you have to actually wait days.

when you say "its like it wants me to play something else" you're not actually all that wrong. You will eventually run out of things to do. You'll learn soon enough that animal crossing is about the long haul. Don't worry about grinding out little things every day. Nook miles and the "challenges" associated with them are nice, but I do fear that they will encourage people to just do repetitive things for hours each day in order to clear all the checklists as fast as possible when in reality those goals are probably supposed to last for months (it seems like people here are really grinding them out). If it feels like you've run out of meaningful things to do, then it's ok to put the game down and come back tomorrow or later at night. That's how animal crossing works. Some days you'll play for hours, some days you'll play for 30 minutes.

I think you'll learn to love it. Take your time. Don't feel pressured to blitz through everything. Animal Crossing is a chill game that you take at your own pace.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island

Why not just change the time on your switch and advance to the next day?

Nay

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
New Horizons is an amazing game so far. The only aspect that I find disappointing is the lack of measurements for fish and insects, although that may come with the museum (but I'm not hopeful).

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
I'm sure plenty of other people have noted it, but it's interesting that the manila clam doesn't have an entry in the Critterpedia. You'd think it would, even if you don't technically catch it by fishing.

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually, I do have one another question. Will someone give me the recipe for the slingshot so I don't have to buy it?

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nook miles and the "challenges" associated with them are nice, but I do fear that they will encourage people to just do repetitive things for hours each day in order to clear all the checklists as fast as possible when in reality those goals are probably supposed to last for months (it seems like people here are really grinding them out).

Honestly, linking the bigger challenges to the NookMiles almost feels like a mistake. Bear with me: people want the miles for a thousand QoL reasons, from storage to more materials. Sooner or later the community will find the minmaxing way of getting them, and some will put out guides saying which ones are easier/faster to do and wield more miles per effort/minute.

If those bigger challenges gave clothing or rare furniture some people would still grind them, but the number would be most definitely be smaller. That currency, at least for the moment, is way too important.

(By bigger I mean the ones pre-determined, not the random endless ones they give you later on).

CrabDust

Nov 16, 2017
If this is the first game in the series you've played, I don't blame you. But yeah, ultimately the idea is for this game to be a part of your daily routine for months rather than a game to binge in weeks.

However, the start of this game is a bit slower than past entries. It looks like it'll pick up after a few days once more villagers and shops are on the island.
Good to know. Another poster said stardew was more similar to another game than AC and that makes sense. I'll stick with it a few (real?) days and see if it opens up a bit. Pretty shocked at how small the island is compared to pretty much every other survival/crafter.

CNoodles

Banned
Mar 7, 2019
This game is so fun. Can't wait for day 2 so I can actually explore my whole island. There is also a cute little hamster that lives on my island that calls me "hammie" instead of homie. Gosh I already love this game.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
0/10 game!

I set up my island in the southern hemisphere and now the museum is telling me butterflies migrate south for winter. This sort of pseudo science is down right irresponsible!

/s

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I swear there should be a disclaimer in the OP to not use the Harvest Moon / Story of Seasons and Stardew Valley gameplay loop as an expectation on how Animal Crossing plays.

I don't even understand why some people continue to use them which will only mislead and confuse folks especially with New Horizons as their first Animal Crossing game.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is my first Animal Crossing and I am in fucking love with it. Like holy shit, this is the best game to come out right now. Even my wife loves it...not playing, but telling me what to do and where to put things "properly."

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I talked to a few people on nookmile islands and asked them to join mine, so I have to do anything else to get them to actually arrive?

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
did we get the same villagers? love Mira but hate the jock goat who always talks about working out

I got Mira as well, but my other villager is a different jock; a fat penguin funnily enough. However from what I've read all files start with a jock and female villager (not sure what her personality type is).

I hate the jock too. He literally hasn't talked about anything else aside from sports and fitness... and protein shakes.

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
ETm5FfCUcAAZ8P-

You can get 14 branches from one tree

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a squirrel named Sheldon who won't shut up about exercise.

Yeah I was hoping for a bit more personality this time around compared to New Leaf, rather than walking (waddling) stereotypes. Like, how come no-one mentions why they decided to move to a remote island?

Outside of that I don't think I have any complaints about the game, but I don't really see a reason to talk to or "befriend" the villagers.

CrabDust

Nov 16, 2017
I swear there should be a disclaimer in the OP to not use the Harvest Moon / Story of Seasons and Stardew Valley gameplay loop as an expectation on how Animal Crossing plays.

I don't even understand why some people continue to use them which will only mislead and confuse folks especially with New Horizons as their first Animal Crossing game.
I mean its not that hard to see why folks might think the loops are similar if they've only played stardew. The games certainly have a similar look at a glance (activities, not style) and there are some pretty ingrained expectations for crafting these days from games like minecraft and botw.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, a lot of time dumped in tonight! Blathers arrived and we're now ready for the full museum. I farmed up some nook miles and got the tool wheel and inventory expansion to make life a little easier. I asked for my house. I saw a ghost. Friend's wife visited as well. I'd grind for an island ticket but I think I'm wore out for tonight. Still haven't seen any damn sharks tho :(

danielvdell

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Feb 12, 2019
Los Angeles
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I recently got the AC-themed Switch. I'm planning on doing a system transfer from my existing (launch) Switch to it. Is it true that the New Horizons save can't be moved that way? I haven't started the game yet, so if my assumption is correct I should wait to start the game on my new console. Right? Are there any other saves that can't be transferred over?

Not a stupid question at all. You're right that your save cannot be transferred over, so you'll want to start the game on your new Switch after doing a system transfer. This is the only game that works this way, I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.