• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I do wonder how many of these facial features are actually selectable by the player, or just an undocumented function of some totally unrelated set of dialogue choices when you fire up a new file, as has sometimes been the case.
They had full customization in Pocket Camp and there's little reason to believe they'd walk back from that.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
The new clothing options are really great. I'm going full hippie in this one, I wasn't any hyped for the game but as Nintendo is revealing more customization and details I'm getting more and more interested.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
vJaY6Pn.png

Game Freak on blast
From what i can tell,
Customization seems to be at the core of Animal Crossing.
Customization can be completely dropped from Pokemon without it ultimately mattering.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
The inclusivity of New Horizons is easily the most exciting part for me, prior games were god awful with it. To be black you had to tan yourself in the sun and your tan would then fade back to white over time - I wish this was a joke. It's so refreshing to see everything be so much more varied and I'm very happy for all the people that can properly reflect themselves in the game now

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
God there's so many great games coming out in 2020
I'm going to put so much time into this

it looks SO GOOD

I love the much deeper customization!

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
h5kG4c0.png

Goddamn this guy looks like he's been smoking up the reefer all freaking day.

Tom Nook getting into weed farming?

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yub0EaG.png

this one shows off some native american stylings, so that's really cool to see

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
They had full customization in Pocket Camp and there's little reason to believe they'd walk back from that.
Except they're completely different games with different goals. Of course if they wanna change direction of the series (which has been shifting since New Leaf) to more and more customization then of course they'll do that... but it's not a given because the DNA of all the games until New Leaf had pretty minimal "player God mode" in them. You get what the game generates for you and you basically become as much a part of the town as all the NPCs. In New Leaf they started enacting the usual power fantasy of making you the Mayor and giving you more control over what the town looks like. The new one seems to be a complete craftathon so far, and I'm a little worried about that.

There is grinding in AC but it never felt like the checklist type of grind. It felt like games you could enter and leave at any point and any grinding you did was only becuase you set a goal for yourself. I don't think the charm of the game came from how much you got to control the development of your map, it came more from what it generated, and then there was a real joy in visiting other players, or replaying it a year later from scratch and getting a completely different character skin.

The last thing I need is AC being full of dropdown lists.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
The inclusivity of New Horizons is easily the most exciting part for me, prior games were god awful with it. To be black you had to tan yourself in the sun and your tan would then fade back to white over time - I wish this was a joke. It's so refreshing to see everything be so much more varied and I'm very happy for all the people that can properly reflect themselves in the game now
Happy Home Designer was the first game to fix the skin tone problem, but I feel like a lot of people didn't even notice because it was Happy Home Designer

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
WAIT I JUST REALIZED

Are there different tiers of the axe and net? I know there's the basic one and the gold one, and even some silver ones in NL, but one net is orange and one axe is made of stone!

(Also Nintendo, pls let us have our tools separate from our inventory and accessible on the d-pad!)

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Happy Home Designer was the first game to fix the skin tone problem, but I feel like a lot of people didn't even notice because it was Happy Home Designer
I should have specified mainline but yeah you're right, it's just crazy how the series has taken around 20 years to add people of colour but at least it seems to be a standard now

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Except they're completely different games with different goals. Of course if they wanna change direction of the series (which has been shifting since New Leaf) to more and more customization then of course they'll do that... but it's not a given because the DNA of all the games until New Leaf had pretty minimal "player God mode" in them. You get what the game generates for you and you basically become as much a part of the town as all the NPCs. In New Leaf they started enacting the usual power fantasy of making you the Mayor and giving you more control over what the town looks like. The new one seems to be a complete craftathon so far, and I'm a little worried about that.

There is grinding in AC but it never felt like the checklist type of grind. It felt like games you could enter and leave at any point and any grinding you did was only becuase you set a goal for yourself. I don't think the charm of the game came from how much you got to control the development of your map, it came more from what it generated, and then there was a real joy in visiting other players, or replaying it a year later from scratch and getting a completely different character skin.

The last thing I need is AC being full of dropdown lists.
I share the same concerns with crafting being added and the game becoming too centered on making your town look exactly the way you want it instead of being about the animal villagers and a chill atmosphere, but I don't think basic character creation functionality instead of the obtuse way of choosing a face in the past should be lumped in with that.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I hope we get some good curly hair options. Character customization in almost everything has been terrible for curly haired people. It's normally just wavy hair or a full on afro.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I share the same concerns with crafting being added and the game becoming too centered on making your town look exactly the way you want it instead of being about the animal villagers and a chill atmosphere, but I don't think basic character creation functionality instead of the obtuse way of choosing a face in the past should be lumped in with that.
They've added enough variety to players that it would probably make it frustrating, but I enjoyed getting random faces and stuff when I played it on DS.

Slamtastic

Oct 26, 2017
From what i can tell,
Customization seems to be at the core of Animal Crossing.
Customization can be completely dropped from Pokemon without it ultimately mattering.
Customization was one of the few good aspects of SwSh and a motivating factor to keep playing, and dropping it would make Pokemon even worse than it already is.

Basarili

Oct 27, 2017
Haarlem
Will there be a special or Collectors Edition or is Nintendo not into that stuff? I''m still waiting for some game+statue or something.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
What are you doing Nintendo, this is the perfect early access title if I ever saw one, just pump it out and give me more content over the coming months, the progress is slow as fuck anyways.

I just can't wait to play this.

Airi

Oct 27, 2017
I'm excited for all the variety, but I'm worried about if/how the Able Sisters will fit into this game. I really loved making custom designs and recreating outfits from other media.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend lives for Animal Crossing. She has been waiting on getting a Switch for this in hopes that there is some sort of special edition coming with this like that gorgeous 3DS that came with New Leaf. Is there any chance this could happen?

^ ah poster above me touched on this

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just played A LOT of My time at Portia, so im taking a break before Animal Crossing to not get burned out

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Customization was one of the few good aspects of SwSh and a motivating factor to keep playing, and dropping it would make Pokemon even worse than it already is.

Yeah it was the best part of the game for me lol. Made getting a new town very exciting.

Will there be a special or Collectors Edition or is Nintendo not into that stuff? I''m still waiting for some game+statue or something.

I doubt it, they usually use AC to sell special edition hardware...it worked with me...twice lol

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
My girlfriend lives for Animal Crossing. She has been waiting on getting a Switch for this in hopes that there is some sort of special edition coming with this like that gorgeous 3DS that came with New Leaf. Is there any chance this could happen?

^ ah poster above me touched on this
It's practically a guarantee, though it wouldn't surprise me if they only release a special Switch Lite and no regular Switch.

Basarili

Oct 27, 2017
Haarlem
Yeah it was the best part of the game for me lol. Made getting a new town very exciting.

I doubt it, they usually use AC to sell special edition hardware...it worked with me...twice lol

Stupid question.... whats AC again? Do you mean they will sell it with Hardware only? :(

I think I will wait one month before release and we still have nothing then I guess we'll go for the normal version.

I'm no expert but... Maybe a month before? Like when they usually hype up the release of a title before it comes out with a good ol dedicated direct.

Wow is that normal for Nintendo norms? I'm more a Playstation gamer and Animal Crossing was my first DS game soo hooked up on it. Playstation Editions gets announced months before. Well I think I need to be more patient and will wait.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
Stupid question.... whats AC again? Do you mean they will sell it with Hardware only? :(

I think I will wait one month before release and we still have nothing then I guess we'll go for the normal version.

Wow is that normal for Nintendo norms? I'm more a Playstation gamer and Animal Crossing was my first DS game soo hooked up on it. Playstation Editions gets announced months before. Well I think I need to be more patient and will wait.
Did some research.

There's the special edition new leaf 3ds being announced 2 months before the release of the game new leaf which release June 9th.

So 2 months maybe!