• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
While asking your pronouns would be best, I'd much rather have the game be "genderless" where you can change your appearance at any time and wear anything, than have a binary choice at the start of the game which cannot be changed later.
This is basically where I stand. Having good pronoun options that cover those who are non-binary is the ideal route. But given that Animal Crossing doesn't really use your pronouns that often anyway, I can respect this decision over the typical "Are you a boy or a girl" question.

Robust pronoun options > No stated gender > "Are you a boy or a girl"

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
This is basically where I stand.

Pronoun options with they/them > No stated gender > Only male or female
I understand the issue of making more options and accounting for them, but the reason you can be male of female in so many games is because they reflected the social norms of the time. With that in mind I think the future of games is:

3 Options
  • Pronoun: "They/them", "He/him", "She/her", (Optional: "USER_DEFINED")
It's honestly a matter of adding more options in, what is possibly a list or array of options that are already there. Of course being binary, some games might contain Male vs Female as a boolean (a "True or False" data) but instead you could contain it as a list of names or an integer.

Technically speaking we're not talking about something major here, and all that its ramifications is, are placeholders in the dialogue for the pronouns or certain gender-traditional phrases that need to be accounted for. It's a matter of developers being on that page and taking the initiative for it without taking any political higher-road away from "controversy" or whatever.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure I've ever encountered a specific moment where that happened really. Wouldn't a jock like Scoot want to lift weights with you regardless of gender?
yeah, but if you're a boy he calls you "bro" and if you're a girl he calls you "brosephine"

that's why jocks aren't allowed in my town. I will never be a brosephine

Jan 10, 2018
I wish all games could have this feature. It would save soooo much time having to restart your game just because you ended up disliking something about your characters appearance.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
iNHRTMU.jpg

They're already wearing an accessory, though.

3d glasses are back?

Top tier accessory of the forever. CANT WAIT

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I just realized something. If Smash switches to the New Horizons Villagers in the next game, they'd be our first human non-binary character.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I'm so glad I don't have to pick a gender because I was considering making two characters. This way I can just change the appearance of mine whenever I want!

Oct 27, 2017
As much as I love Animal Crossing threads, I don't think this deserves a thread on its own and we already have 2 other threads with discussions of the game.

BradenAndEggs

Jan 8, 2018
So if you can use a mirror to change appearance, does this mean Shampoodle is gone?

Like the other "missing" NPCs I think Harriet will be one of the "tourists" the direct described (like Kicks) that will show up from time to time giving exclusive hairstyles you can only get when she is in town. This is just me speculating though.

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
As much as I love Animal Crossing threads, I don't think this deserves a thread on its own and we already have 2 other threads with discussions of the game.
To be honest it's done for every big release here, I honestly don't mind when I see so many threads on games I'm not particularly interested in.

cyappu

Jun 4, 2019
I remember Pokémon-gate when there was a new thread for every bit of bad news about that game :')

Wolfapo

Dec 27, 2017
I understand the issue of making more options and accounting for them, but the reason you can be male of female in so many games is because they reflected the social norms of the time. With that in mind I think the future of games is:

3 Options
  • Pronoun: "They/them", "He/him", "She/her", (Optional: "USER_DEFINED")
It's honestly a matter of adding more options in, what is possibly a list or array of options that are already there. Of course being binary, some games might contain Male vs Female as a boolean (a "True or False" data) but instead you could contain it as a list of names or an integer.

Technically speaking we're not talking about something major here, and all that its ramifications is, are placeholders in the dialogue for the pronouns or certain gender-traditional phrases that need to be accounted for. It's a matter of developers being on that page and taking the initiative for it without taking any political higher-road away from "controversy" or whatever.
Technically... it's actually quite challenging. Maybe not for English, but for other languages where adjectives or other words are based on the gender.
Or when the sentence is grammatically different depending on the gender used.

It is possible, but it's a lot of work for the developer and also for the translators to make it happen.
Don't assume English is the only language that would then need this adjustment, it has to work for every language supported.
A proper gender/grammar system in any game that supports multiple languages is a major task.

Jun 22, 2019
This is awesome, but I wish Shampoodle or some other NPC were responsible for changing your appearance.
Going to a stationary item that opens a menu feels less personable and loses the charm, even if it is more convenient. I feel like Animal Crossing is the game when it comes to charm over convenience though.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
I was literally just thinking about if they would do this a few days ago. They allowed you to change your look and gender in splatoon 1&2 at anytime so it seemed like a no brainer to add it to animal crossing too. This is great news!

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
I absolutely don't care about RDR2, The witcher series, FF7 remake, Persona5 or Cyberpunk 2077... and you don't see me complain about the numerous daily threads made about those.

This is a big change in the game and more inclusivity in a Nintendo game is welcome.

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely don't care about RDR2, The witcher series, FF7 remake, Persona5 or Cyberpunk 2077... and you don't see me complain about the numerous daily threads made about those.

This is a big change in the game and more inclusivity in a Nintendo game is welcome.

But you're addressing a different issue, though. We've known from the get-go that AC was being inclusive, it was even mentioned before the Direct, I believe (could be wrong), through interviews. What's being discussed here is the ability to change you appearance willingly through the game - and not having to use Shampoodle's to change it.

I'm gonna go ahead an start an island terraforming thread then, since that is probably the biggest change in the series, lol.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
This is nice, iirc they always let you crossdress if you wanted to. So that combined with how they never used any gender pronouns; this was merely them removing the question of if you're a boy or girl and giving a character creator. I'm a fan.

This is awesome, but I wish Shampoodle or some other NPC were responsible for changing your appearance.
Going to a stationary item that opens a menu feels less personable and loses the charm, even if it is more convenient. I feel like Animal Crossing is the game when it comes to charm over convenience though.
They still could be there to give you options to things not available in the character creator or through items.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
It's a great addition and change to the system. It would be nice if Shampoodle returns in some way, maybe for some more unique and special hair styles and options, but if not it's a worthwhile trade off for much more inclusive and comprehensive character creation and customization options that will have a far greater and more profound impact in many people's experience with the game.

Last edited:

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Technically... it's actually quite challenging. Maybe not for English, but for other languages where adjectives or other words are based on the gender.
Or when the sentence is grammatically different depending on the gender used.
Say you're really at an impasse. Let's say there's a language called Ferbrigian.

In Ferbrigian pronouns are really complicated and boil down to way too many things rather than just a pronoun prefix or postfix on a name.

Solution: They have another word like "you", and all those variables of "Ms." "Mr.", "Her" etc. becomes "them" or "you" or whatever.

This is what you have localization for, I mean. You have variables available, get creative.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I'm ready for this.

ETA: These are the options that were shown in the short videos released via Twitter yesterday, and we already know there are even more options available to purchase from the Nook Mileage program. Top is character creation at the start, bottom includes options that seem to unlock around when you upgrade your tent to a house via a vanity (furniture item).

Already have my look.

Skin Color: 6
Hair: 9, 13 or 14 depending on Season
Color: B
Nose: 2
Mouth: 1
No Makeup
Eyes: 18 or 19
Color: B

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
No! More! Gender!

🥰 I can't wait for this game. It's gonna be so beautiful.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty cool, I assume they'll have tweaked the Able Sisters response to when you pick up a dress too (it used to be inclusive albeit after Mabel kinda "othered" you for a hot second). And I don't remember many pronouns being used.

It seems like something they took wholecloth from Splatoon, too. Pretty sure that has a lot of similar prompts.

I do kinda wish the appearance changing was at a store or something more whimsical than a furniture item, though. Maybe they could have brought back the fountain and had you look at your reflection, or something?

Wolfapo

Dec 27, 2017
Say you're really at an impasse. Let's say there's a language called Ferbrigian.

In Ferbrigian pronouns are really complicated and boil down to way too many things rather than just a pronoun prefix or postfix on a name.

Solution: They have another word like "you", and all those variables of "Ms." "Mr.", "Her" etc. becomes "them" or "you" or whatever.

This is what you have localization for, I mean. You have variables available, get creative.
As I said, it is possible. Variables are heavily used in games all the time.
Each language's rules of grammar need still to work with the system implemented.
It's not just replacing words. It's also changing words depending on what comes before and after, the sentence structure in general, or who is talking to whom etc.
Translators could get around that by phrasing dialogue to avoid any of that, but it could make the text bland and boring. And that's what you don't want to have in AC. The more variables you introduce, the more complex it gets on the programming side to make sure it works in all the situations.

To get back to your example... so you have a language which has complicated grammar. Even if it only boils down to just some simple concept, it's still part of the language and not using it would be really awkward and limiting.

You mentioned that it's not a major task and I merely disagree with that notion. It's not as easy as it looks initially, but can result in heavy workload if you want to do it right and flexible. If done correctly, it significantly improves the quality of the text and is more inclusive.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So there isn't a stylist you go to, to change your hair? You can just do it at the mirror? That's disappointing :/

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
First order of business will be to get more styles because what's been shown looks terrible. Wish we could have some decent beards as well.

Lbbaker

May 21, 2018
Welp unfortunately it looks like you must pick between being a male and female character.

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
I share the same feeling, but that menu only has 8 hairstyles, New Leaf had 32. So I'm thinking that Shampoodle has all the missing hairstyles.

EDIT: https://twitter.com/animalcrossing/status/1232675303715041284?s=19

In this footage you can see more hairstyles. I guess you have to unlock them somehow, maybe buying a vanity will do that. Eek.

Last edited:

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't be so hasty.
I don't have a screenshot at hand, but the setting is literally just labeled "Pick a setting". It might just be a body type option that is divorced from pronouns.

Male and female Animal Crossing villagers' body types have been indistinguishable from each other ever since they stopped forcing the dresses on girls and shorts on boys. It definitely feels like they're continuing the trend of them being 1 to 1 the same in New Horizons, too.

I'd much sooner assume the 'choose your setting' option is them trying to be a little more lowkey with the dated 'boy or girl' choices, and that your choice will ultimately result in gender based dialogue based on which one you choose as it's been in the past.

But dang, I really would love to have a neutral option in addition to feminine and masculine.

Oct 28, 2017

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
I guess the gender option solves the question about pronouns.

I'm excited about the face texture option - hopefully i can draw myself a badass moustache or a beard.