• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Animal Crossing: New Horizons has been a huge hit in the UK. Its sales are 3.5 times bigger than the launch of the last main game (on 3DS). Its launch week is bigger than the launch of all the other Animal Crossing games combined (inc spin offs). And that's even without digital

Massive launch.

UPDATE:
www.gamesindustry.biz

Animal Crossing: New Horizons smashes sales records in the UK

Animal Crossing: New Horizons has become a major hit in the UK.Nintendo's critically acclaimed sequel has sold more cop…

Nintendo's critically acclaimed sequel has sold more copies in its first week on sale than the launch sales of all previous Animal Crossing games combined, including the spin-offs. The launch is 3.5 times bigger than the last game in the series, 2013's Animal Crossing: New Leaf on Nintendo 3DS, which was the previous biggest launch for the series. It is also the biggest single game launch on Nintendo Switch since the console came out, although if you combine the sales of Pokémon Sword and Shield together, those games enjoyed a bigger first week.

Last edited:

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's literally all I'm seeing over my IG and Facebook feeds. Quarantine for sure is also getting more people to play and connect. (I'm US)

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game was always going to be big, but it literally could not have launched at a better time.

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
and I bet it sold a ton of digital copies. Everyone I know who has bought the game has done so digitally.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
It's gonna get a lot of play time thanks to quarantine in some places and you can literally play it for years.

Also helps that it's both a home console and handheld release, which finally means: a game is perfect for the Switch.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Digital not included? Yeah the numbers for this are going to be crazy WW. I wonder if if it may have already hit 10m sold?

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Everybody needed a place to relax, I think. I'm glad the game's popular! So many of my friends love it so far.

I wish I could partake in the excitement, but I relax more if I can play intense, atmospheric, complex and engaging games; and I feel more comfortable in games with slightly melancholic atmospheres than just straight up 110% wholesome all the time (which is cool don't get me wrong).

The digital numbers for this game are going to be insane
I really didn't need to see Corinthian Josuke. That avatar is amazingly uncomfortable lmao I love it

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
It's like 95 percent of what everyone on my friends list is currently playing. Smash wasn't even so prominent. It's insane.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Now I wish my preordered copy from Target would arrive! Target noted that it was delayed due to high demand.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Picked this up digital and was never planning to...mostly because of the current circumstances.

Game is going to have monster sales, wouldn't be surprised if it gets near to Pokemon numbers.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
New Leaf did 12.45 million worldwide. New Horizons will crush that in no time.

I wonder if NH can have a debut near those numbers. Considering we're hearing it's doing massive numbers at retail but considering the state of the world I'd expect this game to have an enormous digital ratio, probably higher than any previous Nintendo game.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Remember when the Switch was doomed because all of Nintendo's heavy hitters released by the end of 2017? Good times.

Man Nintendo have just gone from strength. No one can match them anytime soon.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Picked this up digital and was never planning to...mostly because of the current circumstances.

Game is going to have monster sales, wouldn't be surprised if it gets near to Pokemon numbers.
If Sw / Sh were a normal Pokémon game I would say that AC would win but with the season pass Pokémon is going to have more legs than normal in the franchise.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Cross posting from the PAL thread:

* Wipes sweat from brow *

Animal Crossing New Leaf did over 32.4k, so AC NH did (well) over 113.4k. That's pretty huge! I think it should be the best release behind Pokémon Sword/Shield. Pokémon Let's Go did 116k or so I believe.

Edit: Chris Dring said he'd include a bit about the game's position in the Switch debut ranking when he finishes the article, so we'll know by then if it hit that mark.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cross posting from the PAL thread:

* Wipes sweat from brow *

Animal Crossing New Leaf did over 32.4k, so AC NH did (well) over 113.4k. That's pretty huge! I think it should be the best release behind Pokémon Sword/Shield. Pokémon Let's Go did 116k or so I believe.

Smash sold more FW than Pokemon Lets go. Around 130k IIRC.

So it'll be 3rd or 4th but barely.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Too bad Switch hardware is supply constrained now so we'll never see how much New Horizons could have boosted hardware sales.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's very possible that Switch made Animal Crossing a Mario Kart-tier level of franchise now. Just like it did for Smash Bros.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Not even surprised. It's gonna be a massive seller.

All over my social media, this game is all I see with a splash of Doom here and there ofc. I've seen so many friends post about this game, friends I wasnt even aware had any interest in Animal Crossing, let alone had a Switch.

Even I bought the game. Twice even :P And I had absolutely no intent to do so just one month ago.

Oct 27, 2017
Someone has to go back through older threads where people were claiming AC was niche. The crow eating for this will be spectacular

BigTime_2018

Dec 31, 2018
Based on what I've been seeing online, the game seems to really be resonating with culture at large.

(Edited for clarity. Don't mean U.K. culture specifically. Just culture in general.)

Last edited:

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Always great to see a game doing well. This is going to do absolute numbers, really fascinated to see the overall numbers come the end of April.

Hopefully any hot take about this being a niche franchise and genre can die a very quick death