• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I think it is, personally. Play the game as the designers intended.
Not having any way to back-up your saves is "as the developer intended"? What exactly do you think the point of cloud saves is?

It's incredible that for every other game on every other platform there is, the developer's "vision" manages to be unimpeded by save file backups, but somehow it's not the case for Nintendo. For multiple games.

Nah, it's ridiculous.

Oct 25, 2017
Man that is a complete bummer that you can't even transfer from switch to switch. Better wrap mine in bubble wrap if I don't want to lose all my stuff =/

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Great Nintendo doing anti consumer stuf again and pissing fans up, that mean it will break records in sales again.

The majority of buyers will be folks far less invested in the details around this, but my guess is that unlike the National Dex / reused animations debacle, this can have a real impact on them. My wife for one would be pretty upset if she were told she has to keep this particular Switch indefinitely, and if it breaks she's stuffed.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Not having any way to back-up your saves is "as the developer intended"?

It's incredible that for every other game on every other platform there is, the developer's "vision" manages to be unimpeded by save file backups, but somehow it's not the case for Nintendo. For multiple games.

Nah, it's ridiculous.

Animal Crossing is different because of it's clock system, as I said before. It's meant to be played as the year goes on. No rewinding time.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
Once again, I get not being able to do cloud saves. One of the series biggest mechanics is the real time clock system, and cloud saves would fuck that up. But to not be able to transfer your progress to another Switch is some bullshit.
How on earth would cloud saves fuck up a real time clock?

LBsquared

Banned
Nov 22, 2019
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a cloud save --- ahem, save a game at a specific point in time? Anything that happens afterward doesn't count?
How in the world is that in any way different than a local save? The game is using your Switch's clock/calendar to determine time/date.

LBsquared

Banned
Nov 22, 2019
But you're not able to go back to that point in time on a local Switch. You would be able to do that on a cloud save if I'm thinking correctly.
Again, how is it in any different? My local save is still going back in time to whenever that save was created despite me playing the game minutes, hours, days, weeks, months or even years later. It's just a save. The game is going to react based on the current time/date regardless of where the save comes from.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Again, how is it in any different? My local save is still going back in time to whenever that save was created despite me playing the game minutes, hours, days, weeks, months or even years later. It's just a save. The game is going to react based on the current time/date regardless of where the save comes from.

Maybe you're right. I don't know. Also, what's the point of cloud saves, anyways? I've never had to use one.

LBsquared

Banned
Nov 22, 2019
But how does your cloud save account for the changes that were made in your town by other players on the system?
That's the complaint, isn't it? They didn't even provide an option to not allow other players on the same system. And they didn't attempt a work-around to account for other people playing on the same system. If others modify the world, why not immediately back it up to the cloud using the island creator's save? I mean they're pulling the local save from the island creator anyway. There's one save regardless, why not also back that one save up to the cloud? It's stupid. Why is it that almost every single time Nintendo has a call to make, they make the absolute stupidest one? Instead of doing anything creative here, they've simply banned saves. It's moronic.

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
Everyone coming in here talking about Cloud Saves needs to realize that what's going on here is FAR WORSE.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's the complaint, isn't it? They didn't even provide an option to not allow other players on the same system. And they didn't attempt a work-around to account for other people playing on the same system. If others modify the world, why not immediately back it up to the cloud using the island creator's save? I mean they're pulling the local save from the island creator anyway. There's one save regardless, why not also back that one save up to the cloud? It's stupid. Why is it that almost every single time Nintendo has a call to make, they make the absolute stupidest one? Instead of doing anything creative here, they've simply banned saves. It's moronic.

You just described a layer of complexity that is almost insane and then called the creators actions "moronic" for not implementing them.

Creating asynchronous changes to cloud saves to recreate and account for persistent actions in somewhat real time so your cloud save is up to date...

How moronic of them not to commit to such a feature /s

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Cloud saves thing is "understandable" in a way just because Splatoon and others do it, but not being able to transfer your profile to another Switch and have your Animal Crossing save go with it is really scary.

My Switch died back in 2018 and literally right before it completely died I managed to transfer the saves to the new Switch(was before cloud saves too). With Animal Crossing, my transfer would've been pointless, I would've lost the save no matter what I did. They really need to fix this ASAP, hopefully before it releases.

LBsquared

Banned
Nov 22, 2019
You just described a layer of complexity that is almost insane and then called the creators actions "moronic" for not implementing them.

Creating asynchronous changes to cloud saves to recreate and account for persistent actions in somewhat real time so your cloud save is up to date...

How moronic of them not to commit to such a feature /s
Nothing I described is remotely complex. It's what they're already doing locally. And yes, not allowing full transfers is fucking moronic.

beansontoast

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2020
As far as I'm concerned any game put out by Nintendo should accommodate cloud saves. If Nintendo aren't going to put in an effort to include that feature all their first party games, then it should have been free and not a clear advertised incentive to purchase Switch online. Its not up to forum members to find solutions for any issues with cloud saves, its up to a technology company to do it, so that they can actually fulfill what they promised. Splatoon for example is a complete joke, there isn't even a semblence of an excuse for that one, they just couldn't be bothered. Other companies have worked out how to do it, why not Nintendo?

koalanose

Feb 9, 2019
Whats the likelihood Nintendo will actually address / fix this? I would normally assume very low, considering that the incentive for companies to fix things people don't like is pretty slim when it doesn't really impact their bottom line. While it sucks and is dumb as hell, people will still buy AC so I doubt it impacts them all that much.

But like others have said, what do they expect to happen when they introduce A Switch pro and no one can bring their AC saves over? I can't imagine they don't realize that's going to be a dealbreaker for a lot of people, I guess it doesn't matter to them if they don't plan on introducing a switch pro for awhile?

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing I described is remotely complex. It's what they're already doing locally. And yes, not allowing full transfers is fucking moronic.

So in order to avoid save conflicts would lock a console out when the game was being played by anyone on either console? Or would you leave the current process in place and just overwrite one of the save data sets? How would you force singular islands across multiple systems that shared a single user, but may have different overall users (up to 7 differing users on each system)?

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
They really have no bloody clue what the hell they are doing do they? Totally out of touch, and total inconsistent in their approach.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Won't even bother complain about the lack of cloud saves because it happens so much with most games I play that I already got too tired of it but not being able to tranfer my save file? I really don't get it, it just makes no sense. Nintendo is claiming everywhere how they want people to have more than one Switch and now I won't be able to transfer my file to the second Switch if I ever got one? Specially with this kind of game, you really don't want to lose hundreds of hours.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Won't even bother complain about the lack of cloud saves because it happens so much with most games I play that I already got too tired of it but not being able to tranfer my save file? I really don't get it, it just makes no sense. Nintendo is claiming everywhere how they want people to have more than one Switch and now I won't be able to transfer my file to the second Switch if I ever got one? Specially with this kind of game, you really don't want to lose hundreds of hours.
That's where I am too.
Transferring the entire save is my only real concern since I do swap hardware.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Uh, i just think this is a design quirk. This is frankly fairly innocuous. And it gets people to be a lot more careful with their islands with the rare chance that someone will lose it and be sad for a while. Honestly that's kinda cute.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo needs to implement a "full system transfer" that transfers every user from source to destination system. Should cover this no?

As I understand it, the system only supports save and user transfer at the moment.

Kevinception

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2020
Once again Nintendo show why there're still so far behind the rest of the industry when it comes to basic functions.
There is no defence for this at all, none.
Absolute fucking bellends.

i wouldnt call it being "behind the rest of the industry"...I think it's rather ingenious they find effective ways to limit sharing in order to encourage households to buy multiple systems and multiple copies of games.

I call it effective in that it ends up actually working...people do buy multiple systems and games when they otherwise wouldnt. And so it's not "behind" if it's effective.

Ive heard for years Nintendo is "behind" when it comes to not choosing powerful hardware....not focusing on a "traditional" controller setup...not taking steps to make AAA multiplats more popular on their systems...not focusing on robust online multiplayer options...not discounting their games down to $20 after 3 months like all the other publishers do...etc

Look how behind the industry they are in all this!!

I don't agree with any of that. Those choices make their unique success more effective, actually. It works for them in their peculiar ecosystem. it's not Nintendo being obtuse. It's by design to what they think makes everything more successful.

If they thought these things ruined the gameplay design and goals of Animal Crossing, if they thought these things would tank Animal Crossing sales or hardware sales, they wouldn't do it. But it won't adversely affect any of that. So overall it's a positive effect. And not "backwards thinking"

Last edited:

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
i wouldnt call it being "behind the rest of the industry"...I think it's rather ingenious they find effective ways to limit sharing in order to encourage households to buy multiple systems and multiple copies of games.

I call it effective in that it ends up actually working...people do buy multiple systems and games when they otherwise wouldnt. And so it's not "behind" if it's effective.

It's also going to result in an erosion of the AC brand for some people. And no doubt some educated people will skip this game (I know I will). Others will buy the game and skip a "Pro" Switch or Lite model because of limitations like this.

I think people want to believe Nintendo is just "behind the times" rather than malicious.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
I'm frankly just mad that I bought a switch lite to be my portable machine while my OG switch stays docked. I did this mainly for animal crossing. Now, I have to decide which switch it will live permanently on.

As others have said, it's not just that cloud save isn't supported. Whatever, Pokemon Sword/Shield doesn't support it either. It's the fact that I can't transfer the save between my OG switch and switch lite AT ALL. There is no 'design decision' that gives any reason why that should be the case.

Edward

â–² Legend â–²
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
You can still transfer it to a new micro SD right? If i wanted to upgrade my 500gb to a 1tb?

Oct 25, 2017

Ive heard for year Nintendo is "behind" when it comes to not choosing powerful hardware....not focusing on a "traditional" controller setup...not taking steps to make AAA multiplats more popular on their systems...not focusing on robust online multiplayer options...not discounting their games down to $20 after 3 months like all the other publishers do...etc

Look how behind the industry they are in all this!!

I don't agree with any of that. Those choices make their unique success more effective, actually. It works for them in their peculiar ecosystem. it's not Nintendo being obtuse. It's by design to what they think makes everything more successful.

If they thought these things ruined the gameplay design and goals of Animal Crossing, if they thought these things would tank Animal Crossing sales or hardware sales, they wouldn't do it. But it won't adversely affect any of that. So overall it's a positive effect. And not "backwards thinking"

Going to have to agree to disagree here.

It's an incredibly stupid decision that seems to have become Nintendo's unwanted desire this gen.
Yes, they've had some fantastic games and some great hardware this gen, but their somewhat complete misunderstanding of the standards set by Sony and Microsoft this and last gen is just mind boggling.

Outright denying your player base the option to transfer the save directly from one Switch to another, using cloud saves or even micro SD cards to "sell more hardware and software" is not something I can believe. It screams the weakest of weak defences against something that hasn't been an issue for over 20 years now on most other platforms (and on Nintendo's own platforms in the past.)

Putting 10, 100 or even 1000 hours into a game knowing full well that save can never be moved is pure stupidity on Nintendo's part if the hardware ever dies and as I get older, it's not something I want to turn on and see, given my time as an adult to game is more precious than it was before when I was younger.

I really hope they back track on this and make some kind of proposal for it, but given their past history for a total lack of admitting mistakes were made, (with Mario Maker 2 being the only recent one that comes to mind) means I'm not hopeful in the slightest.