• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 8, 2017
This while no cloud saves business is really getting out of control.

Let's punish the players because of a few bad apples.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
As some people have pointed out, Animal Crossing isn't the first game to block save data transfer. Yu-Gi-Oh also did it. Here's what happens when you try to transfer:

It's so annoying that Switch is the only place to play the complete version (for now)

This while no cloud saves business is really getting out of control.

Let's punish the players because of a few bad apples.

I can understand for competitive games (although everyone else solved it 10 years ago)

But causing trouble for everyone because cheats in Animal Crossing???

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
People put hundreds and even thousands of hours into Animal Crossing. For many people it's an ongoing experience with no end...decorating your house, playing through the seasons, interacting with animals, catching/collecting, etc.

There's absolutely no way they don't eventually allow saves to be transferred between consoles.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
People put hundreds and even thousands of hours into Animal Crossing. For many people it's an ongoing experience with no end...decorating your house, playing through the seasons, interacting with animals, catching/collecting, etc.

There's absolutely no way they don't eventually allow saves to be transferred between consoles.
It's Nintendo.

APP

Dec 1, 2018
Why Nintendo is so stubborn about saves in Animal Crossing series? Resetti in New Leaf have already annoyed me sometimes.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
People are misunderstanding the reasons for this. All the issues with this game are caused by one thing: the fact that all profiles on a system are tied to one island. That's why cloud saves can't work with it and that's why saves can't transfer. Because those are features that are tied to profiles, while AC save data is tied to the system. And there's one reason they tied saves to the system instead of profiles: to sell more Switches. They know that it'll encourage households that are currently sharing one Switch to buy another Switch or two so everyone can have their own. And they know there are AC fans out there who are dedicated enough to buy a second system just to have two towns.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
This is seriously awful. I want to get a new Switch at some point in the next year, and in doing this I have to give up my island? It makes me not want to invest time into this game

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
pretty obviously an issue with this particular Nintendo dev. Splatoon also has serious issues with this.

Question is, why does Nintendo allow a single dev so much power? These stuff should be company wide policies and not up to whims of developers.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao. Nintendo is such a hack company. This is legit making me rethink my purchase.

I am in literal disbelief. This is a deal breaker. This can't be what the wording means, right? Like, okay you can't transfer data "between" consoles but you can move it wholesale from and to.

I will be holding off from getting this game until it's cleared up. They can fuck off if this is actually true. Starting to think Mr Resetti is based on an actual joyless husk of a person on the AC team.

Last edited:

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People are misunderstanding the reasons for this. All the issues with this game are caused by one thing: the fact that all profiles on a system are tied to one island.
The one-island-per-console policy is itself bad and unpopular. Sabotaging save security, crossplay between switch and switchlite, and save transferring, all as a necessity to support a shitty restriction that itself does nothing to benefit the customer just means they've fucked us so they can fuck us again.

It doesn't bring me any satisfaction to know that this will help Nintendo to sell more switches.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Not enough to make me not buy it, but I just don't understand putting such draconian restrictions around it...

Kohlbiri

Apr 3, 2019
Sorry if this has been asked before or it's really obvious but I wanted to make sure—near the bottom under "Software" is that a list of supported languages?

EDIT: OKAY I'M DUMB I didn't read the bullet point above that literally says supported languages please ignore me

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Startiing to get a little worried we no so little about this game. It's like a mixture of hype and anxiety. Hypiety. Why do we know so little about this Animal Crossing entry? We know that we will be building up from scratch, but I really want a confirmation that the old-school style of play is there as well. Everything looks awesome from what we've seen, but I really hope you can just relax in your town like the old games as well.
I love AC, and will play the new entry hard, but in my opinion it looks like not enough has changed. Too old school if anything.

Antoo

May 1, 2019

I'm straight up in denial mode right now because if this is true then fuck Nintendo. I ain't paying for your garbage ass online service ever again.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Fucking awful, guess I'm never buying another Switch or keeping my first one around forever? New Leaf followed me through multiple 3DS systems, jfc

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
This is the only reason why I will probably never buy this game, despite being interested in it. I'll stick with Stardew Valley, thank you very much.

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
That's really disappointing. I wonder how that works with console transfers because it also deletes the user data on the old system?

Moodz

Oct 28, 2017
Oh nice!
Now I won't know if my girlfriend stays with me for me or for her animal crossing save on my switch...

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I considered giving AC another shot after two attempts at New Leaf, but I think I'm good without it.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I so wish we could get comments from the developers on why they chose to handle things this way. And not some fluffy ambiguous response - but a real deep dive into technical challenges faced. It's not something we'll ever get obviously.

Here I was thinking this was the kind of game that might follow me through to any new revisions, potentially whatever Nintendo version of "next gen" is this go around. Now it feels like they've put a 1-year life on my game and its killed my hype.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
This was already known since it works exactly like Splatoon 2. Which is annoying as hell since you can't backup your saves at all since the Switch won't support local saves off a SD card or even a hard drive like a normal system.

mandiller

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
This was already known since it works exactly like Splatoon 2. Which is annoying as hell since you can't backup your saves at all since the Switch won't support local saves off a SD card or even a hard drive like a normal system.

But I could transfer my Splatoon 2 save to a new Switch when I upgraded. Animal Crossing won't let you system transfer your save game with your profile to a new Switch. No way at all to get it off one console and onto another.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
And if a small percentage of users do dupe some items? Who fucking cares? It's Animal Crossing. There's no competitive multiplayer. And for that protection, we sacrifice the piece of mind that if our Switch dies, breaks, or gets stolen our saves with hundreds of hours on it are safe. Brilliant as ever, Nintendo. What's the point of paying for their god awful online service?

Oct 25, 2017
wow this is massively disappointing. I guess I'm glad I already upgraded to a newer switch but holy shit nintendo what is wrong with you

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
I'm still flabbergasted.

Surely they must know how pissed people are going to become when they realise they can't transfer their Animal Crossing when they get a new system/upgraded system down the line??

Do they not want us to buy more systems???

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
So I guess I'm just never going to buy this game since I don't know where I'll land on Nintendo hardware purchases in the future.

Sylvalum

Oct 26, 2017
Madrid, Spain
This is so utterly stupid, I precisely bought the Switch Lite thinking about playing this game on it on the go (because I have arm issues and the OG Switch is too big and heavy for me) and making data transfers to my OG Switch to play comfortably on the TV at night (because we already knew that there isn't cloud saves for this game). And now I have to decide which console is gonna be abandoned because there aren't data transfers either? Wow.

In fact, on a Animal Crossing: New Leaf digital copy I lost a 500 hours save file because my 3DS was stolen and there wasn't any backup options, it made me so angry and sad, and seven years later, here we go again with this stupid crap.

Last edited:

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
No cloud saves because people might 'dupe shit' is dumb enough already, but they manage to add a whole new layer of being dumb shits.

Who really cares if people duped their items anyway? There are no Achievements to 'protect' because you don't even bother to add that feature to your console. These things aren't worth real money, they're only cheating themselves in acquiring things this way right??

Hmm, I bet Nintendo is planning DLC crap that does cost real money.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm...so if I start this on my switch lite I can't play this on my TV or on a future Switch Pro. :(
This what I was planning to do. I was going to transfer between my Lite and OG to play in the go and on the TV. I don't like using the OG for handheld play.

EdIt: fuck you, Nintendo. Fuck you.

Also, journalists: please hound them about bullshit like this in interviews.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah thanks but no thanks and fuck you Nintendo.

First of all me and my wife we cannot play two separate saves? And now I can't even back up the stuff my wife will build over hours upon hours into the cloud service I fucking pay for?

I'm getting sick of your bullshit Nintendo.

Edit: not going to buy New Horizons then. My wife will stay with pocket camp.

Lbbaker

May 21, 2018
I love Nintendo games, especially Animal Crossing, as much as the next guy but good fucking god Nintendo has to be one of the most boneheaded, ass-backwards gaming companies around.

It's completely ridiculous that in the year 2020 we can't get all games having cloud-saves, decent online, or system back-ups for the Switch.

Oct 25, 2017
Been eagerly anticipating this game for months now but. Yeah I think I'm going to wait on buying this game. I'll just play doom instead.

TotalMackerel

Oct 26, 2017
I think there won't be a solution for awhile, but I'm sure they'll come out with one if they release an upgraded switch model they want us all to buy.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
You know they won't. It never happens. Especially not for a company like Nintendo who will probably gladly just not commicate with you ever.

Weren't people super pissed about the inability to play with friends online for SMM2? I remember Nintendo coming back to folks on complaints for that , and now it's implemented.

Jun 22, 2019
This is undeniably bad for customers, but as somebody who lost their Animal Crossing data multiple times across multiple games already, personally I'm unbothered. Also I plan to just keep AC on the AC Switch I bought for AC.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Weren't people super pissed about the inability to play with friends online for SMM2? I remember Nintendo coming back to folks on complaints for that , and now it's implemented.

Hadn't heard about that. I can only hope they'll renege on this. But I don't expect them to.

No. There isn't.

Switch only supports transferring users, not the whole system.

Right. Yeah, that's it. A digital purchase that is associated with a user makes it even more convoluted. They should just have a save migration app at the very least.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't meant to, it's fucking garbage. I'm just saying, all the people saying this is about preventing duping or whatever are missing the mark. This is a greedy and cynical business decision.

I feel like this move will just make people more hesitant to upgrade to a new system.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
How does Ring fit adventure work? Does that support cloud saves or transfers? Because that seems to be able to access other profiles for saves - I start the game as me, but I can see my kids profiles as save slots

why couldn't AC do the same?

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
The news about Animal Crossing save restrictions is getting worse all the time. It has really put a downer on the game for me. :(