• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When do you expect the Animal Crossing Direct?

• February 5th or 6th

Votes: 58 6.6%
  • February 12th or 13th

Votes: 119 13.5%
  • February 19th or 20th

Votes: 297 33.7%
  • Later Feburary

Votes: 123 13.9%
  • Early March

Votes: 127 14.4%
  • No Direct

Votes: 158 17.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
Eh, dumb answer but, eh, the devs?

Like I said, maybe it's just me but when devs do special things and develop games in their way, there's a thought behind it, there's a reason for how certain things are made to get a certain feeling and impression out of you and I'm not a fan of just shitting on the way a game is supposed to be played just because you couldn't wait a week for a certain unlock.
Sure everyone can do what they want and how, but I don't have to like it. I roll my eyes and shake my head and I'm sad that this is possible.

To be serious, no wonder they do the savegame no cloud horseshit that they do because they know exactly that everyone would dup shit and cheat like hell if they wouldn't, cause that's how people are without restrictions, in general.

I don't care for time traveling, duping; cheating, but if someone does this in their own game I don't think any one should care at all. It doesn't affect you. If they couldn't exploit it through the systems at hand, there would just be hacks or mods to get what they want. Do you feel the same way with exploits used for speed runs or when people hack/mod their games?

Last edited:

ameleco

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
Nintendo making NH:

"Was this convenient in past game?"
Yes: Keep it, and overaccess it.
No: Just remove it, and streamline the game.

I'm still skeptical how I'll feel compared to the metascore a few months in. I don't like how they're letting you overaccess the things you want and taking most of the "rare" or "hard" things out of the game. It's gonna make it feel less special in the end, I feel.

I never completed my museum and I never found the art, but I loved that feeling of finally being available on a monday or whenever Redd showed up, to play the game, buy a painting and bullseye, it wasn't a counterfeit. I only got like 6 paintings submitted in any game, but it felt like one of those memories I have of the experience, and I was left wondering what the rest of the legit paintings were. You might even say one of the reasons I've kept buying each new game is because I tell myself "This time, I will do that thing."

Sure, you can look anything up in a wiki, but that's also yourself dispelling the magic of the card trick.
You know what.... you're right. The difficulty makes it worth it.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't care for time traveling, duping; or cheating, but if someone does this in their own game I don't think any one should care at all. It doesn't affect you. If they couldn't exploit it through the systems at hand, there would just be hacks or mods to get what they want. Do you feel the same way with exploits used for speed runs or when people hack/mod their games?
Right. I mean, it would be one thing if Animal Crossing was an online game with a huge internet presence and online community that also has to be playable completely offline due to the nature of the console it's on and therefore can't do serverside checks for legitimacy, thereby enabling the intended collaborative online experience to be undermined by the presence of duped items and money day-zero if such exploits went unaddressed, but that's not at all the case.

wait a minute

I've got great memories of visiting other people's towns to trade, barter, and play the turnip market, among other things. Allowing such exploits would undermine that element of online play and would enable people to subvert the game's entire progression and emphasis on social play, and personally that's not something I want because I get a lot out of the series online play.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Do they let you customize your character's hair/look in the menus now? Because then the exclusion of Harriet/Shampoodle may make sense.

Sponged

Oct 29, 2017
Got my invoice through from shopto, dated yesterday. it says royal mail 48 so hoping that means it's coming tomorrow!

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
You should be totally fine. Most activities can be done at any hour. The shops are also all open til 8 or 9 pm usually. And in the last game, you could issue ordinances that shifting shop hours early or later (not sure if that is in this game though). You will just miss the 9am to 5pm music (each hour of the day has its own song that plays during that hour) but you can listen to those on the weekends :)

They may also miss out on high stalk market prices if previous AC games are any example. Turnip prices changed at 9am and noon so there is s 3 hour window. High prices only sporadically appear in the morning though so OP will be fine. It could just take a bit longer to reach savings milestones.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A whole week, woah. Crazy in a game that runs on real time and is supposed to be played for months.

How exactly are you living your life? 🤔

Eh, dumb answer but, eh, the devs?

Like I said, maybe it's just me but when devs do special things and develop games in their way, there's a thought behind it, there's a reason for how certain things are made to get a certain feeling and impression out of you and I'm not a fan of just shitting on the way a game is supposed to be played just because you couldn't wait a week for a certain unlock.
Sure everyone can do what they want and how, but I don't have to like it. I roll my eyes and shake my head and I'm sad that this is possible.

To be serious, no wonder they do the savegame no cloud horseshit that they do because they know exactly that everyone would dup shit and cheat like hell if they wouldn't, cause that's how people are without restrictions, in general.
yes, a whole week is a long time. I dont care how long its supposed to be played, that aspect of AC has never meant anything to me. For building up the village? sure. For basic features of the game and customizability? Nah.

singleplayer
games
dont
need
anti
cheat

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right. I mean, it would be one thing if Animal Crossing was an online game with a huge internet presence and online community that also has to be playable completely offline due to the nature of the console it's on and therefore can't do serverside checks for legitimacy, thereby enabling the intended collaborative online experience to be undermined by the presence of duped items and money day-zero if such exploits went unaddressed, but that's not at all the case.

wait a minute

I've got great memories of visiting other people's towns to trade, barter, and play the turnip market, among other things. Allowing such exploits would undermine that element of online play and would enable people to subvert the game's entire progression and emphasis on social play, and personally that's not something I want because I get a lot out of the series online play.
Nah, because AC isn't an mmo, it isnt a competitive title. It's literally all cosmetic, and accepting items earned too early(which is bulshit to call cheating) hurts no one, because youre just getting something early that you'd get later. Theres no advantage/disadvantage beyond "Oh that person's town is prettier than mine"

You wanna call time traveling cheating, you gonna have to call the era turnip market cheating too, because that gives more of an immediate advantage than just time traveling to unlock basic features does.

I would sooner remove all multiplayer than have that hold back how fun the single player could be without all the restricting anticheat rigmarole

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
yes, a whole week is a long time. I dont care how long its supposed to be played, that aspect of AC has never meant anything to me. For building up the village? sure. For basic features of the game and customizability? Nah.

singleplayer
games
dont
need
anti
cheat

I'm not one for time travelling much in AC anymore, but...

Talk to 'em.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I'm glad you can timeskip if you want to. I don't do it, but I'm not against it. But I also kinda want there to be some sort of handicap or penalty for doing so. It's okay if you enjoy it that way, but you're also going against the way the game is designed to be played, so it shouldn't be "free" to do so.

I think the whole "town gets filled with weeds and stinky flowers" thing was a good enough punishment for doing that.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
With Nintendo themed items being missing, I'm worried stuff like that will be stuck in limited time events like Pocket Camp where you have to collect a certain number of special materials in a limited period of time to build some special furniture. Or they'll have like fortune cookies where they'll give you free ones occasionally but otherwise you'll have to pay real money to get more.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Eh, I don't look forward to having the many surprises this game has in store for us spoiled over the next week or so due to time skippers. I understand the need to do small time adjustments to make the game fit in your life (eg. those who play late at night), but I'm sure glad holidays + other features will be rolled out via patches this time around.

Data miners ruin the fun in a game like this to me. If you already know what Santa's bringing you, there's no magic in Christmas.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I don't look forward to having the many surprises this game has in store for us spoiled over the next week or so due to time skippers. I understand the need to do small time adjustments to make the game fit in your life (eg. those who play late at night), but I'm sure glad holidays + other features will be rolled out via patches this time around.

Data miners ruin the fun in a game like this to me. If you already know what Santa's bringing you, there's no magic in Christmas.

I think unfortunately I'm going to have to do some serious YouTube curation because I'm sure the time skippers will not be discreet with their titles and thumbnails.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
Interesting... The fact that they aren't autorized to tell us how many villagers there are in the villages seems to indicate that it's more than 10 anyway.
Gonna go and predict it's 12.
Ooh, this is exciting.
I'm actually starting to think the max may still be 10 and have come up with two possible explanations for the video.
1. A villager is in the process of moving out and you can now start the process to move in a new villager while your 10th villager is in the process of moving out.
2. They're just moving a villager's house. Like it's possible you have to wait a day for a villager's house to move. So, their current house will stay where it is for the rest of the day and the new house will be in construction until the next day. So, on the next day, the old house will be gone and the new house will be finished.

Brews

Feb 27, 2020
Italy
Honestly I don't get why there is such a high amount of people complaining about the lack of content in the game and/or things missing from older games, especially when Nintendo couldn't make it any clearer in the latest Direct that the game will have at least one full year of free updates and support from the developers.

Pretty much this.
I already said it a couple of pages back, but I really can't wait (sarcasm) for Profasia Gamer or some other asshole to timeskip months worth of game just to upload all of their findings on their stupid YouTube channels and spoil everything they can in both their videos and thumbnails.

Lirose

May 30, 2018
I think Nintendo themed items are still in? Wasn't that the Korok mask in the newest trailer?

At 0.46 seconds in.

We haven't seen a lot of stuff yet, Brewster and the Roost will definitely be in whether now or in a future update.

saladdays

Sep 11, 2018
Honestly I don't get why there is such a high amount of people complaining about the lack of content in the game and/or things missing from older games, especially when Nintendo couldn't make it any clearer in the latest Direct that the game will have at least one full year of free updates and support from the developers.

Pretty much this.
I already said it a couple of pages back, but I really can't wait (sarcasm) for Profasia Gamer or some other asshole to timeskip months worth of game just to upload all of their findings on their stupid YouTube channels and spoil everything they can in both their videos and thumbnails.
You're not going to have to wait. The game is already in some regular consumers' hands; datamining will probably start shortly

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
Not confirmed, can still be an NDA thing, like many other things are currently.
It's not officially confirmed but nobody's seen any of them.
I think Nintendo themed items are still in? Wasn't that the Korok mask in the newest trailer?

At 0.46 seconds in.

We haven't seen a lot of stuff yet, Brewster and the Roost will definitely be in whether now or in a future update.

Crisis avoided lol

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City

wait a minute

i still don't see how that affects you in any way. You can't visit random towns, so you'll be able to choose to go to their town or not if they like to time travel or dupe items. Someone else doing it has no impact on your game, which is why I was asking if they don't do it, why it matters so much. The game shouldn't be corrupted like someone else suggested because you change the system clock.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
It's a pet dog, not a dog like Isabelle but just a regular dog, that collects materials and does chores for you

And yes you can pet the dog
Wait really? That's... bizarre. I don't know how I feel about that, just like, conceptually.

(By the way, I'm spoiler tagging this because personally I would consider it to be a spoiler)

Phoenics

Apr 23, 2019
United Kingdom, Horsham
Earlier this week 언이라브 released a map of the world showing unlock times for ACNH in lots of different regions. I decided to take that idea and bring it into the AC Aesthetic with a little design of my own and working with 언이라브 aka Brian to make sure its updated and accurate.

Y1Semdl.jpg

I'll make sure this is linked in the OT when it goes live tomorrow too!
This is very informative thank you for the map graphic!!!!!

Steve

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Parts Unknown
Gamexplain said they're making a video about it, but we don't know yet. It is not expected that the amiibo exclusive villagers like Ganon and Inkwell will return, but we'll see

I wanted to make a video on these, but sadly, it isn't worth it. You just get a message saying "This amiibo isn't supported."

Nothing else, unfortunately.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Completed my pre-order a minute ago.

It'll be my first Animal Crossing game!

I love stuff like Harvest Moon and Stardew Valley, so I'm sure that I'm going to love this one too.

Oct 28, 2017
The new wolf is named Audie. Definitely having some tear duct action after finding out that information. (She's named after the 88 year old Animal Crossing grandmother who had 3500+ hours in New Leaf.)

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Someone please tell me Ankha is a villager again in this game.
I mean, she's like one of the few that no one should be worried about, along with Bob :p
Anyway, Nintendo after the Direct tweeted that Tom Nook sended an invitation to 383 animals, which is the exact number of amiibo cards of villagers. The point of that tweet was to announce that if you had a villager card, it would work on New Horizons, meaning they're all back.

Starlightmuse

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 27, 2017

Woah you sound like a really fun individual