• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When do you expect the Animal Crossing Direct?

• February 5th or 6th

Votes: 58 6.6%
  • February 12th or 13th

Votes: 119 13.5%
  • February 19th or 20th

Votes: 297 33.7%
  • Later Feburary

Votes: 123 13.9%
  • Early March

Votes: 127 14.4%
  • No Direct

Votes: 158 17.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
Did you have to record 24 hours of footage? That must have been a PITA to record and edit indeed. Thanks for the coverage!

Yep, a full 24 hours, which I had to restart at one point when I discovered that DST oddly meant that new days started an hour earlier in-game (which takes you to the daily Nook cutscene). And you're very welcome!

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
9b014a951459a9f535e7d36a9b4c6956584679ff.jpg

So...is Isabelle joining Yoshi in the "Nintendo Characters who committed tax fraud" list?

Feb 4, 2018
So someone posted this image on the Bell Tree forums, no idea where they found it. If it's legit I will be soooo happy.

etq8j8lwoamvdulmjjnz.jpg

Do this AC game will finially do Ankha´s cleopatra hairstyle justice? thats the real question, or have we seen her NH Render already?
We haven't yet, but all of the villagers we've seen have been done immense justice in HD so I would be optimistic. :)

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So someone posted this image on the Bell Tree forums, no idea where they found it. If it's legit I will be soooo happy.

etq8j8lwoamvdulmjjnz.jpg

We haven't yet, but all of the villagers we've seen have been done immense justice in HD so I would be optimistic. :)
That many custom dress options but no custom pants? I wanna make my own pajama pants...

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH
Do this AC game will finially do Ankha´s cleopatra hairstyle justice? thats the real question, or have we seen her NH Render already?
The animals we've seen got more texture and shading that makes hairstyles look more natural. But if you're asking if her hair will actually be hair now, instead of a pattern on her head, I doubt it. But they've changed animals before, so maybe.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Thanks so much! It was indeed my idea and a surprising PITA to make haha. The thumbnail was 100% Tom though!
Amazing video Andre! I'm not watching reviews to avoid spoilers (such as they are), but when that popped up on my YouTube home page I immediately clicked. You captured why people love the games so much in a very simple and effective manner.

Feb 4, 2018

Did he just pocket an entire tree at 7:55??? lol //edit: apparently yes but you need to eat first?? this is amazing

also I'm only partway through, but this is a good video so far. Saw four new starting map layouts - there really are a lot and I hope I don't end up resetting too much!

Last edited:

ameleco

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
KK was spotted in the February Direct

gyroids seem to be out, as are:

- paintings
- Brewster and the Roost
- Crazy Redd's
- Dr. Shrunk in any role
- Kapp'n in any role
- Reese and Cyrus
- the police dogs
- Resetti (in person at least)
- any auction function whatsoever
- any physical presence of the HRA/Lyle
- an HRA showcase analog
- Harriet and Shampoodle
- Katrina the fortuneteller (not 100% sure about this one)
- a Dream Suite analog

And more!

edit: oh, I forgot my childhood favorite character Rover, who's so dead even my memory of him is gone
Maybe it's because I like to 100% AC and get all the items but I'm not angry the paintings/gyroids are out. They're a pain to collect. That said, it's sad to see some others not here, but I'm sure DLC will fix most of it.

Olinad

Oct 30, 2017
KK was spotted in the February Direct

gyroids seem to be out, as are:

- paintings
- Brewster and the Roost
- Crazy Redd's
- Dr. Shrunk in any role
- Kapp'n in any role
- Reese and Cyrus
- the police dogs
- Resetti (in person at least)
- any auction function whatsoever
- any physical presence of the HRA/Lyle
- an HRA showcase analog
- Harriet and Shampoodle
- Katrina the fortuneteller (not 100% sure about this one)
- a Dream Suite analog

And more!

edit: oh, I forgot my childhood favorite character Rover, who's so dead even my memory of him is gone
At least for now. They did say that DJ KK cannot be called via the amiibo card yet, but characters will be added in the future via software update. I can see many of these being added over time Splatoon style.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo is so weird

Change your appearance at a genetic level? Easy! Any time you want!
Change your name? Impossible! That's against the law!

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Nintendo is so weird

Change your appearance at a genetic level? Easy! Any time you want!
Change your name? Impossible! That's against the law!

Probably because of how the save system is setup.
Otherwise to stop people from changing names to/from offensive things.

My best bets.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Come on gaming and electronic stores in my city in Germany, it's 3 days before release and there's a high chance you will be closed by law this Friday. Just have it today.

kizmah

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
Sorry if this has already been answered but has it been cleared out how the naming of your island works? Is island automatically added to your chosen name?

zephiross

Mar 27, 2018
Ok ERA, sell me on this game. It looks interesting but I never owned or played an Animal Crossing game. What is it about exactly ?

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

traillaitor

Jun 10, 2018
Super excited for Friday. Only think I'm slightly bummed about is that the islands with activities such as scuba diving and other 'exotic' activities are out.. really enjoyed them.

maybe they'll be included in future dlc or updates?

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Super excited for Friday. Only think I'm slightly bummed about is that the islands with activities such as scuba diving and other 'exotic' activities are out.. really enjoyed them.

Yeah i expect some things were cut for development and will reappear in time events which is good since it's an incentive to play every days/few days

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Probably. We're talking about a game from the team that made Splatoon and Splatoon 2. Splatoon 2 had frequent free content updates for at least 1,5 years after its release. That something from the earlier games isn't in at launch doesn't mean it won't be at all. They know this is a game we'll play for a long time like New Leaf (which also got a huge content update ~4 years after its release). I can't see them only adding in seasonal events and calling it a day.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's the perfect game for quarantine.

Im not a pro Animal Crossing but i owned a few of them.

Imagine an ant colony. Now stop imagining that because it's not that.

Don't try playing this game to rush it, having objective giving to you.

Think of it like an open sandbox game, because you have to create your own objectives. Sure you have a loan to pay but you dont have a time limit. Once it's paid, you have upgrades, clothings, furniture for your house, lots of thing that cost money and objectives that you give yourself.

But the most important things are the villagers. They represent the heart of the game. Each have his own personnality. Dont go in thinking it's an advance AI, but each lines have been carefully chosen for each npc you can encounter.

Animal Crossing New Leaf on 3Ds really helped me with depression when my mother passed away because it's sort of like a community, but a virtual one. They are all virtual friends that are there for you and you have no obligation to them.

"Animal Crossing chooses to reward players toward via slow progression rather than instant gratification, perhaps best represented when growing friendship with the villagers that inhabit the town. [...] The Roost is also home for Brewster who will, for 200 bells ($) will make you a coffee, once prepared, your character will shotgun this sculdging hot breverage and couldn't having more fun doing so, and the result is.... nothing, no reason for this exchange to exist as an asset to the player. Hovewer what I think it does do, is in a single moment, perfectly incapsulate what im trying to get at, to immerse yourself in a game like this, a degree of imagination is required. What you're doing in game is what you imagine you would do should you ever actuatly be in this situation in real life."

I suggest watching this awesome video that explain way better than me
m.youtube.com

Explaining The Appeal Of Animal Crossing

I promise the next video will be super edgy to make up for this one.Follow me on Twitter or else: https://twitter.com/SometimesPaulyGCN gameplay was recorded...

Brews

Feb 27, 2020
Italy
Do we have news about when and how much we can use Amiibo cards on the game? I have mine ready for some of my favorite villagers.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Do we have news about when and how much we can use Amiibo cards on the game? I have mine ready for some of my favorite villagers.
I believe you have to play bit to unlock the feature in the machine in Nook's tent/building (you cannot just start up the game for the first time and start scanning).
nintendowire.com

Nintendo releases amiibo compatibility chart for Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Sharing details about the amiibo support within Animal Crossing: New Horizons was a great way to wrap up the Direct today. Not only did we find out that

Gibbo

The Fallen
Nov 20, 2017
Do you guys think it's worth it to get another switch for my wife so that we can play it concurrently? Or is the multi-player not that fleshed out

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Maybe it's because I like to 100% AC and get all the items but I'm not angry the paintings/gyroids are out. They're a pain to collect.
Nintendo making NH:

"Was this convenient in past game?"
Yes: Keep it, and overaccess it.
No: Just remove it, and streamline the game.

I'm still skeptical how I'll feel compared to the metascore a few months in. I don't like how they're letting you overaccess the things you want and taking most of the "rare" or "hard" things out of the game. It's gonna make it feel less special in the end, I feel.

I never completed my museum and I never found the art, but I loved that feeling of finally being available on a monday or whenever Redd showed up, to play the game, buy a painting and bullseye, it wasn't a counterfeit. I only got like 6 paintings submitted in any game, but it felt like one of those memories I have of the experience, and I was left wondering what the rest of the legit paintings were. You might even say one of the reasons I've kept buying each new game is because I tell myself "This time, I will do that thing."

Sure, you can look anything up in a wiki, but that's also yourself dispelling the magic of the card trick.