• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When do you expect the Animal Crossing Direct?

• February 5th or 6th

Votes: 58 6.6%
  • February 12th or 13th

Votes: 119 13.5%
  • February 19th or 20th

Votes: 297 33.7%
  • Later Feburary

Votes: 123 13.9%
  • Early March

Votes: 127 14.4%
  • No Direct

Votes: 158 17.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Trrzs

Oct 29, 2017
It's kinda strange that this game won't introduce any new animal species... maybe in a future update?

But guys, I'm really worried about my guys Reese and Cyrus. The crafting feature replaced their job in New Leaf ):

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
It's kinda strange that this game won't introduce any new animal species... maybe in a future update?

But guys, I'm really worried about my guys Reese and Cyrus. The craft feature replaced their job in New Leaf ):

I wouldn't be worried about anyone. We know there are free updates coming, so anyone could come back even if they aren't in the game yet.

Maybe Reese and Cyrus opened a new business that does something completely different now and we'll see them at some point in a few months!

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
It does make sense though. I don't like it either, but cloud saves can be used to duplicate items (upload your save, go offline, transfer your stuff and money to a friend via local play, go online and download your save), and on top of that it won't work with the whole system save thing. Seeing as this game uses two seperate save files, one for the island which is used system wide and one for each account on the Switch, it wouldn't be possible to back-up your save to the cloud. It should back-up both your own save and your island save, but what if someone else placed an item outside on your island and you download your backed-up save after that. They would lose their item. On top of that their account saves would be linked to a different (newer) island save, which would make them incompatible.

The way this game works is just super complicated, which complicates things for the save files even more. Hence why Nintendo is working on custom tools to allow save file back-ups (via a one time download if your console gets stolen or breaks), and full system transfers so you can transfer your island to a new console.

I would've loved cloud saves, especially after losing 250+ hours of progress in New Leaf, but it just won't work unless Nintendo changes the save file architecture of the game (as far as we know).
Well, they really should've had something in place at launch.

cyappu

Jun 4, 2019
There seem to be very few new villagers in general. Just 8 so far.

I guess they're hiding more behind the embargo but it seems odd to do so.

GPink

Oct 26, 2017
It does make sense though. I don't like it either, but cloud saves can be used to duplicate items (upload your save, go offline, transfer your stuff and money to a friend via local play, go online and download your save), and on top of that it won't work with the whole system save thing. Seeing as this game uses two seperate save files, one for the island which is used system wide and one for each account on the Switch, it wouldn't be possible to back-up your save to the cloud. It should back-up both your own save and your island save, but what if someone else placed an item outside on your island and you download your backed-up save after that. They would lose their item. On top of that their account saves would be linked to a different (newer) island save, which would make them incompatible.

Do you have a source for the bolded? That doesn't sound like a feasible design decision to have two save states pointing to the same data. Does it not make more sense to have an island state, a system wide save system, which just contains user data, and points them to particular user accounts?

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
Unbelievable. The US President! How did we get here?
I don't think BLM or any other intersectional progressive group has any less of an expectation of hypocrisy than the average person. I would go so far as to say that particular group has been among Kobe's most visible critics, even if plenty within that spheres acquiesce to his cultural importance.
t was a God of War-lite. Functional, but out of place. Gatekeeping the stages with the tedious Sun/Moon medal collecting also majorly hurt all momentum players may have had. Some unfortunate performance issues also plagued b
Pascal?

animalcrossing.fandom.com

Pascal

“If you try something new, it's not new anymore, maaan.” ― Pascal, City Folk Pascal (ラコスケ, Rakosuke?) is a special character that debuts in Wild World and later plays a role in City Folk, New Leaf, and New Horizons. He is a red sea otter, with a yellow muzzle, a brown nose and whiskers, as well...
Pascal?

I don't think we've seen him yet, but I'm sure he'll show up at some point.

yes! thank you both
please come back Pascal you were wise beyond your ottery years~

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if running on grass causes wear in this one?

I'm desperately trying to find mention of this in a review as well.
Presumably not since you can just lay down grass "path" at will

I'm mainly waiting for confirmation on exactly what buildings can and can't be moved. Can you move villager houses after they settle in? Can you move resident services?

Last edited:

Trrzs

Oct 29, 2017
I wouldn't be worried about anyone. We know there are free updates coming, so anyone could come back even if they aren't in the game yet.

Maybe Reese and Cyrus opened a new business that does something completely different now and we'll see them at some point in a few months!

I hope you're right, at the end we are talking about the same team that made Splatoon so I expect a lot updates in the coming years! Reese and Cyrus should open an online betting house with some special furniture!

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
Hey everyone sorry if this has been covered already but is there no place I can preorder the animal crossing themed switch? It seems to be sold out everywhere I'm looking. Wanted to get one for my daughters bday but I might be SOL. I saw Amazon has it but it's like $450.00 on there for some reason.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
Cool, so a bunch of NPCs and buildings from previous games are cut. Paintings, gyroids, and swimming are cut. And the max villager count is still fucking 10. Fuck this game.

Trrzs

Oct 29, 2017
Hey everyone sorry if this has been covered already but is there no place I can preorder the animal crossing themed switch? It seems to be sold out everywhere I'm looking. Wanted to get one for my daughters bday but I might be SOL. I saw Amazon has it but it's like $450.00 on there for some reason.

Amazon Mexico has it for $8500 MXN (is really overpriced here) something like $375 USD, if you don't mind an overprice check if they deliver to your country (:

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish Nintendo would release this early to ease over all our quarantine/self-isolation/social distancing woes :)

herbchamberz

Oct 27, 2017
my hype, good lord. i'm about run through a fuckin wall after reading these reviews. which, yes, i know, is against the spirit of animal crossing. but still.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
Nintendo will support this game for a long long time so I wouldn't discard some NPCs slowly being added.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017

But guys, I'm really worried about my guys Reese and Cyrus. The crafting feature replaced their job in New Leaf ):
I feel like people forget the other half of retail was putting things for sale on display

Pangorogoro

Oct 31, 2017
It was all but confirmed, but every review has the uchi + jock mix, plus someone who got the game early posted a video and they have cobb + paula. Now I can only hope for Hamlet and an uchi I can stand, ahaha.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Just received a mail from Amazon saying that my physical edition pre-order of the game had been cancelled (mostly likely because of Covid-19, my country is expected to go into total confinement in a matter of hours/days now). I'm a bit disappointed, I really wanted the physical edition, not gonna lie.
But we also immediately turned to the Nintendo Online Shop and bought the digital version there, and it's now pre-loading on our Switch, so I'll be absolutely ready for this game on the 20th, and I just can't wait for it!

LFzdasL.jpg

Last edited:

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
It was all but confirmed, but every review has the uchi + jock mix, plus someone who got the game early posted a video and they have cobb + paula. Now I can only hope for Hamlet and an uchi I can stand, ahaha.

I hope I get Cherry as my uchi villager. I wanted her so badly in New Leaf and I never even saw her after years of playing New Leaf.

As for my jock... I'd be happy if I got Tank. He was one of my first villagers in Wild World and I liked him a lot.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Im not gonna get bent out of shape if a few characters and features are cut considering we have new characters and features and updates on the way. Turns out sequels cut things and add things not in the previous game!

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Well, they really should've had something in place at launch.
100%!

Do you have a source for the bolded? That doesn't sound like a feasible design decision to have two save states pointing to the same data. Does it not make more sense to have an island state, a system wide save system, which just contains user data, and points them to particular user accounts?
I don't, but it's the only way the game would work with multiple Switch profiles. What you're describing is probably what I meant. It uses and island save, which would have to be system wide, and specific user saves that contain your character and what's in your pockets etc. Seeing as cloud saves only apply to user saves, it wouldn't back-up your island.

wildbite

Oct 26, 2017
It would be hard to believe they would remove swimming when the island is surrounded by water. It's possible you need the wet suit like in New Leaf that reviewers may not have unlocked yet.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
They added like 8 new villagers and replaced like the bug tournament, the fish tournament, and the turnip people. Those aren't new NPCs with new functions. We're missing a bunch of important NPCs. But ya'll are excited cause you can edit your rivers. I could already fucking do that in New Leaf with a save editor. So, it hardly makes up for all that is missing.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Im not gonna get bent out of shape if a few characters and features are cut considering we have new characters and features and updates on the way. Turns out sequels cut things and add things not in the previous game!
someone tell Masahiro Sakurai

no seriously, someone please tell him, we're worried about his health

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK

Jock and Uchi eh? I'm hoping for Hamlet and Diva then.

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
I want to play so badly and still have no idea if they're going to ship the console on time....might just cancel and stay with my old switch. Don't want to spend the week end without playing ;(

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Or it will be added in a "Summer Update" in a few months, which is also very likely.
Exactly. Especially things like paintings and Gyroids could be added in content updates, seeing as this is the first AC where they could push out regular updates (similar to Splatoon) I can see them not releasing all the different collectible items on day 1. And swimming makes a lot of sense in the Summer (which would give access to deep-sea creatures). The hemisphere thing kinda contradicts that theory though.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I think they could totally add the Roost in an update

Plus, given that it would be a month or two of gameplay before you'd have access to it anyway, why not push it out with a patch?

Deleted member 19742

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
They added like 8 new villagers and replaced like the bug tournament, the fish tournament, and the turnip people. Those aren't new NPCs with new functions. We're missing a bunch of important NPCs. But ya'll are excited cause you can edit your rivers. I could already fucking do that in New Leaf with a save editor. So, it hardly makes up for all that is missing.

It isn't worth getting this angry. It really isn't. I mean this in the kindest way: go outside, take a walk, and realize that because a game has lost a few features doesn't mean that it's a lost cause. Posting like this won't get you many sympathetic responses, and you'll only feel worse.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Just save edit the old NPCs back into NH and stop bitching

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
boohoo

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
dude literally just hack brewster in, that's what I'm gonna do

Owlet

Owl Enthusiast
Verified
May 30, 2018
London, UK
I wish Nintendo would release this early to ease over all our quarantine/self-isolation/social distancing woes :)
As someone about to start self quarantine in Manhattan that would make me so happy.
Just received a mail from Amazon saying that my physical edition pre-order of the game had been cancelled (mostly likely because of Covid-19, my country is expected to go into total confinement in a matter of hours/days now). I'm a bit disappointed, I really wanted the physical edition, not gonna lie.
But we also immediately turned to the Nintendo Online Shop and bough the digital version there, and it's now pre-loading on our Switch, so I'll be absolutely ready for this game on the 20th, and I just can't wait for it!

LFzdasL.jpg
Ah that's too bad.

I ended up deciding to go digital as well.

tazmin

Oct 30, 2017

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Not gonna lie though, I'm still utterly heartbroken at the complete lack of Reese I'm seeing in all of the review videos I've watched so far. I heard that her amiibo doesn't even work ingame. Why is Nintendo doing her dirty like that, sobs.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Amazon hasn't sent me anything so I still have hope that I'll get my physical edition.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Amazon hasn't sent me anything so I still have hope that I'll get my physical edition.

If you don't hear back from Amazon, most likely you'll get it then. We pre-ordered late because we had to cancel another pre-order that was supposed to be with the pins, but that one got cancelled too. I don't pre-order a lot of games, but honestly thanks to Covid-19, it was a whole lot of mess.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Cool, so a bunch of NPCs and buildings from previous games are cut. Paintings, gyroids, and swimming are cut. And the max villager count is still fucking 10. Fuck this game.
Do we know that for sure? I couldn't see any real mention of any of that in the reviews I read.

One of the reviews mentioned that they still had Nook's Cranny after two weeks of buying and selling everything, so it sounds like this is going to be the slowest burning AC game yet. There's still a chance a lot of this stuff is locked away.