• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When do you expect the Animal Crossing Direct?

• February 5th or 6th

Votes: 58 6.6%
  • February 12th or 13th

Votes: 119 13.5%
  • February 19th or 20th

Votes: 297 33.7%
  • Later Feburary

Votes: 123 13.9%
  • Early March

Votes: 127 14.4%
  • No Direct

Votes: 158 17.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PhazonBlazer

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm holding off on pre ordering just in case Nintendo randomly announces the return of vouchers before it comes out.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yo so this is the place to be before the OT gets created? Damn, here I am!
Yup, the Era AC Discord is pretty active too. There's an invite link somewhere in this thread and in the AC Hangouts OT. And you can join the Turnip/Flower/Fruit Tracker too if you want to go ham on the Stalk Market and gardening with us at release.

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
You can make money off flowers? How does that work?
Oh i didn't mean money, just growing hybrids. But there's a chance flowers will be more profitable this time around. The price of weeds is like 60 bells in NH, where basic flowers were just 40 in past games. So they probably will be worth more in NH too.

But more importantly you can harvest flowers buds without losing the flower itself. That means if Blue Roses are worth 2k bells again or more you can sell the flower part while the stalk will remain and a new bloom will appear again after some point. Whereas before you had to sell the entire flower and hope for you hybrid setup to produce a new one.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Oh i didn't mean money, just growing hybrids. But there's a chance flowers will be more profitable this time around. The price of weeds is like 60 bells in NH, where basic flowers were just 40 in past games. So they probably will be worth more in NH too.

But more importantly you can harvest flowers buds without losing the flower itself. That means if Blue Roses are worth 2k bells again or more you can sell the flower part while the stalk will remain and a new bloom will appear again after some point. Whereas before you had to sell the entire flower and hope for you hybrid setup to produce a new one.
Oh shit, they finally added farming like I had always dreamed :D
I know its not exactly, but I'll take it

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I'm interested in the limits on terraforming. Like, I suspect you can't flood the entire town with water.
I also wonder to what degree you could reshape or remove the river... would they let you just totally fill it all in? Also the cliffs can you just get rid of them all or do some always stay behind? It'l be interesting to see for sure.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I spent so much time trying to get a blue rose in New Leaf and it never happened. I was meticulous in putting the right flowers next to each other on my private beach, so I could be certain that the red roses were indeed of proper origin, and I set up cluster after cluster after cluster of them all over the rest of the beach, and I stopped watering any other flowers, and I time traveled day after day for months of in-game time doing nothing but flower maintenance... and still the blue rose never populated. It was so demoralizing.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I spent so much time trying to get a blue rose in New Leaf and it never happened. I was meticulous in putting the right flowers next to each other on my private beach, so I could be certain that the red roses were indeed of proper origin, and I set up cluster after cluster after cluster of them all over the rest of the beach, and I stopped watering any other flowers, and I time traveled day after day for months of in-game time doing nothing but flower maintenance... and still the blue rose never populated. It was so demoralizing.
I just moved all my flowers to the beach in big X patterns and ended up getting pretty much every colour hybrid possible. I had so many orange roses and blue tulips as those are my favourite two, can't wait to get those again in New Horizons. I remember I was trying to get a black pansy to grow for ages... atleast that's what I think it was, it's been a while now.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
64 pages? Damn, ya'll are hype. I have a Switch, but never played a Animal Crossing game before. I'm not even sure what the game is or about. Anyone have one of those neat, and well put together Youtube videos that explains the series?

I have looked myself, but there are a lot to choose from and this place knows quality :)

Teejay

Oct 27, 2017
64 pages? Damn, ya'll are hype. I have a Switch, but never played a Animal Crossing game before. I'm not even sure what the game is or about. Anyone have one of those neat, and well put together Youtube videos that explains the series?

I have looked myself, but there are a lot to choose from and this place knows quality :)

I like this

Philia

Oct 25, 2017
I just moved all my flowers to the beach in big X patterns and ended up getting pretty much every colour hybrid possible. I had so many orange roses and blue tulips as those are my favourite two, can't wait to get those again in New Horizons. I remember I was trying to get a black pansy to grow for ages... atleast that's what I think it was, it's been a while now.

I just had to come in here and point this out. Blue Tulips are Pocket Camp exclusive only. Not in ACNL.

ACNL do not have blue tulips. Or a black pansy. You're thinking of the purple pansy. Purple pansy takes forever to grow too but had better odds of spawning than the blue rose for sure.

Just want to clarify this. Carry on.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know if Best Buy is sending out digital codes already or not? I've read that some retailers already sent out codes and people have been able to pre-load, but I didn't know if Best Buy was among them. I was hoping to snag the Bell Bag bundle but I want to have the game at midnight so I can't count on waiting for them to email it on release day.

Edit: nvm, I was able to dig through this thread and saw people saying they were sending codes. Game's currently downloading on my Switch rn!

Last edited:

cyappu

Jun 4, 2019
How would y'all rank your hype for these things:

a.) Clothes + character decoration
b.) Furniture + house decoration
c.) Villager interaction
d.) Terraforming + outside decoration
e.) NPC interaction
f.) Seasonal events
g.) Daily activities (fishing, catching bugs, etc.)

I would go:
1. Clothes + character customization
2. Villager interaction
3. Furniture + house decoration
4. Seasonal events
5. Daily activities
6. Terraforming + outside decoration
7. NPC interaction

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019

c.) Villager interaction
e.) NPC interaction
f.) Seasonal events

I would go:
1. Clothes + character customization
2. Villager interaction
3. Furniture + house decoration
4. Seasonal events
5. Daily activities
6. Terraforming + outside decoration
7. NPC interaction
I mostly play for seasonal and daily activities, and so far I'm disappointed with NH because Nintendo actually removed some of those from this new entry (Shampoodle, Shrunk Show).

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
The more I think about it the less I think my fiancée are going to manage on one island, we play games very differently and her being the AC expert she's definitely not going to enjoy me wrecking her island design (especially because I'll probably do it partly just to mess with her).

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Woah, I just realised if they dont limit your ground painting thing... could you make your island a desert island?? Or Put bricks everywhere and make it a city? :D
It appears there are some limitations.

NXuIp8f.jpg

cAxToz9.jpg

It appears you cannot make paths/sand/dirt be flush with cliffs, ramps, the shoreline, or other paths/sand/dirt. You won't be able to completely hide the grass unless maybe by using patters to cover these gaps.

I do plan on having a desert section of my island, though, with pyramids and stuff. Hopefully Ankha moves in.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017

c.) Villager interaction
e.) NPC interaction
f.) Seasonal events
I've played a few of the old Animal Crossings for a few hours each, but could never get into them much.

But now I'm hyped mostly because of the outside decoration! So I'll say:
1. Terraforming + outside decoration
2. Furniture + house decoration
3. Clothes + character decoration
4. Villager interaction
4. NPC interaction
4. Seasonal events
4. Daily activities (fishing, catching bugs, etc.)

Yeah, I'm just there to express myself.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I just had to come in here and point this out. Blue Tulips are Pocket Camp exclusive only. Not in ACNL.

ACNL do not have blue tulips. Or a black pansy. You're thinking of the purple pansy. Purple pansy takes forever to grow too but had better odds of spawning than the blue rose for sure.

Just want to clarify this. Carry on.
I'm getting old, in my head I could have sworn they were Tulips but maybe my memory of NL got muddled with my memory of PC. Maybe they were Blue Violets or Pansies - I know for sure I had a lot of one type of blue flower as I put them all around my house. 2013 was a long time ago and I don't have the 3DS with that save on it anymore or else I'd go and check which one it was exactly.

Thanks for clarifying though, my memory isn't what it used to be and I'm not even 30 yet.

Edit:
100% they were blue violets, I just googled an image of them.

Last edited:

Sir Sonic

Jan 14, 2020
The Villages created in previews makes waiting sooooo much harder... I just want to make one for myself really soon

zzz

Oct 27, 2017
Silly question: If I get the physical copy now then bought the digital later, would my save transfer over?

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Silly question: If I get the physical copy now then bought the digital later, would my save transfer over?

Atleast for Collection of Mana it does work that way. I own the game both physically and digitally and it's the same icon in the OS no matter if I have the cartridge inserted or not I can launch it with my save there.

Philia

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: 100% they were blue violets, I just googled an image of them.

Ah, blue violets are VERY easy to breed. Absolutely no problem with them whatsoever. And I'm over 40 btw. I've picked up on ACNL again to pass my time til New Horizons and I've wiped my town 3 times to breed hybrids by TTing and refreshed my memory on these combinations. Anyway don't worry, I'm not drilling it into you, I just clarifying here for the new players to not get confused with those flowers or their combinations or rare colors in New Horizons.

Also, to contribute a bit to the thread. There's decals for people who really wants the AC themed switch but missed out on the limited preorders. Fair warning... some decals leave behind a sticky residue on them or worse, strip off nintendo's soft mold somehow. https://www.etsy.com/listing/761478...ing&ref=sr_gallery-1-1&organic_search_click=1

Last edited:

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
As someone who has never played an AC game, is this a good place to jump in, or would you recommend I play New Leaf first, considering this seems quite different to the core games from an outsider's perspective?

Also, will I be able to hang out with Blathers without getting the amiibo? Blathers is the greatest villager, and I need him.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
As someone who has never played an AC game, is this a good place to jump in, or would you recommend I play New Leaf first, considering this seems quite different to the core games from an outsider's perspective?

Also, will I be able to hang out with Blathers without getting the amiibo? Blathers is the greatest villager, and I need him.

It's not really that different, it just has some big new features. It's a perfect place to jump in, don't worry.

Also, Blathers is in every island. He's the museum keeper, so you don't need anything special to hang out with him.

Can we rename the town later on in the game?

We haven't seen any indication that we can, and you couldn't in previous games, so probably not.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017

Nah just play New Horizons, you won't miss much skipping NL.