• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When do you expect the Animal Crossing Direct?

• February 5th or 6th

Votes: 58 6.6%
  • February 12th or 13th

Votes: 119 13.5%
  • February 19th or 20th

Votes: 297 33.7%
  • Later Feburary

Votes: 123 13.9%
  • Early March

Votes: 127 14.4%
  • No Direct

Votes: 158 17.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
When you finally find a YouTuber who will shut up and let you listen to the music on their gameplay capture... thank you. Thank you.
I think sometimes Nintendo has rules where you have to talk over gameplay footage. I thought it was weird that many people were annoyingly blabbing during footage until someone explained that.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Being able to put furniture outside alone is a massive massive addition for the series that completely changes so much about the game. The fact that we can relocate houses and businesses almost at will, move items on the half tile, have built in paths and can terraform are just additional bombshells of various proportions, but all of them really just build off of and enhance that initial bomba of furniture outside. It completely transforms how people approach customizing and outfitting their town.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
How do people feel about being able to put furniture outside?

I'll silently judge anyone who puts an open bookcase outdoors but outside of that it's great

I'm excited to see this like little Japanese outdoor festivals, too. That Yui commercial had hints of one and I'd love to see a full-blown creation.

It's kinda why I'm hoping we get something akin to the street pass home visiting from New Leaf - just let us share codes to explore each others islands without the social aspect.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
I'll silently judge anyone who puts an open bookcase outdoors but outside of that it's great

I'm excited to see this like little Japanese outdoor festivals, too. That Yui commercial had hints of one and I'd love to see a full-blown creation.

It's kinda why I'm hoping we get something akin to the street pass home visiting from New Leaf - just let us share codes to explore each others islands without the social aspect.

lol I guess this almost 100% aligns with how I feel

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
I'll be honest some of the outside furniture makes me nervous. You really just gonna plunk a couch outside or leave a bunch of books on a table? Your stuff is toast as soon as you have a rainy or windy day lol.

(I know the weather won't actually affect stuff like that but it's hard not for me to think realistically with it, and it'll affect what stuff I do or don't put out on my island.)

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm more or less limiting myself to using outdoors-y styles with outdoor furniture.

Lirose

May 30, 2018
I'm a bitter and vile person, so I get a sense of pleasure at how strongly New Horizons eviscerates New Leaf

some will call it the Apple Lisa to New Horizons's Mac, I'll call it the piece of steaming dog shit to New Horizons's high quality game

Your NL hate is kinda excessive, I see you hating on NL every single time I come in this thread. NH looks leaps and bounds improved in many aspects but NL, despite its many flaws, was fine for the hardware it was on at the time. It definitely wasn't trash.

Shawndroid

May 24, 2018
Canada
Anyone know if there is going to be a way to transfer large amounts of resources, products or DIY recipes between users? Or if there is any ownership over crafted or bought items? Like, can I deck out my wife's house while she's not playing? I guess this stuff hasn't really been tested in the previews published yet.

Oct 25, 2017
Putting items outside is the single most important addition to the game, and all the other amazing additions become even better because of it. Yes, obviously putting certain items outside is weird and I wouldn't do it. Like someone mentioned earlier, bookshelves don't make much sense outside. But there's so many trash/gimmick items in animal crossing that were completely useless to people like me before this. I want my house to be realistic and trendy, so no, I don't want a gum ball machine in my living room. Flip the script and allow me to put items outside and suddenly those items shoot up in value because of course I want a gum ball machine outside of Nook's store in my developing shopping center.

Shawndroid

May 24, 2018
Canada
Still not a great explanation. How can you possibly know how ambitious this is going to be? What is your criteria?

I have no idea what Datajoy's thoughts are. But even just to me it's clear that nearly every aspect of the game has been rethought, deepened, refined and polished. While S&S seems to have simply added and removed features, rather than reworking the ones that are still present to a significant degree. But then, I've never played a Pokemon game but I think that's where Datajoy is coming from. No idea if my understanding of the game is right.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Your NL hate is kinda excessive, I see you hating on NL every single time I come in this thread. NH looks leaps and bounds improved in many aspects but NL, despite its many flaws, was fine for the hardware it was on at the time. It definitely wasn't trash.
Couldn't agree more. NL was great and is still my most played 3DS title. It's because of that game that I've been looking so much forward to this one.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Still not a great explanation. How can you possibly know how ambitious this is going to be? What is your criteria?
I have no idea what Datajoy's thoughts are. But even just to me it's clear that nearly every aspect of the game has been rethought, deepened, refined and polished. While S&S seems to have simply added and removed features, rather than reworking the ones that are still present to a significant degree. But then, I've never played a Pokemon game but I think that's where Datajoy is coming from. No idea if my understanding of the game is right.
Yes I agree with Shandroid's reply. For me, and ambitious sequel is one that not only refines the formula, but makes bold decisions to alter existing aspects of gameplay for the better, modernizes and refreshes not just ancillary elements, but the actual core experience, and presents it all with coat after coat of polish. For comparison, look at the last time AC made the jump from handheld to home console with Wild World and City Folk. That transition was not ambitious at all. The core experience had no major innovations, the music and other elements were recycled, and the big new feature was not actually a major update to the core gameplay. New Horizons on the other hand is an absolute next gen leap in gameplay, presentation, visuals, and more.

I'm just saying I feel like most pokemon sequels, including SW/SH are in the City Folk camp.... good updates but not ambitious revolutions.

WeroZero

Nov 22, 2017
That akward moment when you visit a firends island and they have a toilet/bed/kitchen outside and your like "umm interesting 😦"

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
I thought it was lame but I'm literally the only person in the world who thinks that, so don't worry about it
you're in the clear majority there

yeah, you thought it was lame. thats fine. im not worried about it. but why did you think it was lame? did you ever play an animal crossing before? was it missing something from the other games? i have no idea what the problem with that game could have been. it was, to me, the best version of the series up to that point.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I wouldn't call it "a lot," really. It's a lot more noticeable on particularly thin objects (e.g. the harp in GameXplain's video), but it's significantly better than I've seen on a lot of console games.

I see it on everything. Characters, objects, buildings. It drives me crazy.

I'm just really surprised to see it in this game, I thought it would be super smooth.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
The thing I'm most excited for is that we can have actual back and front yours now instead of making a room that looks like a backyard like some psychopath.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
what was wrong with new leaf? i thought that game was the best animal crossing yet.

I wouldn't say I disliked New Leaf but I think it was very... Average. I think in general I expected more from it, and I also kinda hated how eventually it just devolved into constantly grinding the island and barely paying attention to aspects like the other villagers. That combined with relatively meh events, the bland city street aspect, and extremely boring museum collection thanks to Blathers losing his personality made the experience just kinda unenticing after a couple of months, at least for me.

New Horizons seems to be fixing most everything though, the only big question is the variety in villager dialogue and interactions. It actually feels like an evolution in a lot of ways, New Leaf was more of an aggressive refinement.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
yeah, you thought it was lame. thats fine. im not worried about it. but why did you think it was lame? did you ever play an animal crossing before? was it missing something from the other games? i have no idea what the problem with that game could have been. it was, to me, the best version of the series up to that point.
It offered a lot of massive improvements and came on the heels of the worst game in the series: City Folk. I don't get it, either.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I stopped grinding the island fairly quickly (I'd hop over if I was board and just wanted to catch some bugs, but money concerns stopped being a thing), still interacted with my villagers on a regular basis, thought the events were an improvement on what came before almost across the board and Main Street is one of my favorite things in the series and I'm a little bummed we've lost it entirely.
Blathers losing his blabbing was a shame but all the information kiosks were nice and to-that-point it was the nicest museum in the series (though New Horizons is even better; someone on staff must really like the Museum and keeps trying to top themselves). Seeing the villagers roam around it was also very cute.

EroticSushi

Oct 25, 2017
Got an email that Best Buy is gonna be shipping the AC Switch soon. Such a tease that they're arrive on the 13th but the game doesn't release until the week after. It's gonna be a looooonggg week.

Oct 28, 2017
Got an email that Best Buy is gonna be shipping the AC Switch soon. Such a tease that they're arrive on the 13th but the game doesn't release until the week after. It's gonna be a looooonggg week.
If you already had a Switch, this gives you plenty of time before the game comes out to do a system transfer and trade in or sell your old Switch. You can also upgrade your SD card, apply a screen protector, and gauge what other accessories you want to buy. You get to play the game day one as soon as it unlocks for digital copies, or as soon as you get the physical version without having to wait extra time for to get the system itself or performing system setup. There's no chance you'll have to restart your save file in case you get impatient and start playing the digital version many hours before the system arrives. I personally also don't want to have to download a bunch of system update files on a day Nintendo's servers are going to be slammed. Honestly, I think the NA region has it the best, getting the console a full week before the game comes out. It also allows for more budget planning, since the game is sold separately on a later date.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
My Amazon order has updated with a March 17th delivery date for my ACNH Switch.

TBD on the carry case, which is perfectly fine by me.

mera

Oct 2, 2018
playing my switch
The Japanese commercials are so cute <3 god, I cannot contain my excitement for this game, I can't even finish off my backlog at this point, the only thing I want is Animal Crossing, thank god we're 2 weeks away!

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
I wouldn't say I disliked New Leaf but I think it was very... Average. I think in general I expected more from it, and I also kinda hated how eventually it just devolved into constantly grinding the island and barely paying attention to aspects like the other villagers. That combined with relatively meh events, the bland city street aspect, and extremely boring museum collection thanks to Blathers losing his personality made the experience just kinda unenticing after a couple of months, at least for me.

New Horizons seems to be fixing most everything though, the only big question is the variety in villager dialogue and interactions. It actually feels like an evolution in a lot of ways, New Leaf was more of an aggressive refinement.

ah, i can see it. it was a refinement, i agree. but i found that refinement to be quite great coming off that freakin' wii game.

It offered a lot of massive improvements and came on the heels of the worst game in the series: City Folk. I don't get it, either.

city folk... was bad.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I have conflicting feelings on City Folk because, frankly, it really was an improvement on Wild World in just about every way but at the same time it still felt very lacking, best exemplified by the City

I enjoyed the year I put into it but even at the time there was just a wanting for more. A feeling I never really had for New Leaf beyond some genreal "hmm well this would've been nice" or qol changes, but i haev that for every game

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH
Definitive confirmation that running on flowers doesn't kill them permanently anymore:

So I can still enjoy the simple pleasure of destroying my flowers without actually destroying them.

And a town covered mostly with flowers is more feasible now.

How do people feel about being able to put furniture outside?
Furniture outside is like having a bunch of mini public works projects. Having that option is great, but how much I use it depends on me liking what this game offers beyond literal furniture (things like totem poles, statues, and other decorative pieces).