• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When do you expect the Animal Crossing Direct?

• February 5th or 6th

Votes: 58 6.6%
  • February 12th or 13th

Votes: 119 13.5%
  • February 19th or 20th

Votes: 297 33.7%
  • Later Feburary

Votes: 123 13.9%
  • Early March

Votes: 127 14.4%
  • No Direct

Votes: 158 17.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Namea

Dec 2, 2017
Have people decided digital vs. physical?
I've never struggled so much with this question before, I'm still a bit on the fence...

Animal Crossing is definitely THE perfect game to buy digitally. Then again, my favorite game store usually ships copies a bit early, so I'd probably get the game 1-3 days before the official release date and my hunger for New Horizons is real. Although I don't care that much about physical versions, it'd feel strange to not have Animal Crossing (of all games) in my collection and therefore on my shelf.

I guess it'll be some kind of last minute decision for me...

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
I'd had an extra voucher from last summer that I was hanging on to specifically for this, so digital all the way for me. This is exactly the sort of game I'll want to pop into in between playing other things.

Plus this motivates me to keep my Ring Fit Adventure card in the system as long as possible so it's easy to access on the daily too, lol.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Every logical part of my brain is yelling at me to go digital, and how this is the perfect game to have accessible at all times.

But I'm going to go physical because I'm weak and need that box on my shelf.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
I suspect (no, I know I am) that I'm in the minority here, but is anyone else really annoyed and put off by the fact you have a damn smartphone in the game?
Animal Crossing has always been a mini-vacation for me and when I go on vacation in real life I look forward to shutting my phone off and leaving it on a drawer somewhere. Hell, I live by the ocean and I'd love to just throw the damn thing in. The last thing I want is to have a smartphone in Animal Crossing. What's next, in game instabook and email and facetwitter?

... am I just old and cranky?

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I suspect (no, I know I am) that I'm in the minority here, but is anyone else really annoyed and put off by the fact you have a damn smartphone in the game?
Animal Crossing has always been a mini-vacation for me and when I go on vacation in real life I look forward to shutting my phone off and leaving it on a drawer somewhere.
Yeah, I guess this makes sense, Animal Crossing is supposed to be about peace and self-direction, I can understand how...

What's next, in game instabook and email and facetwitter?
oh so you're just an old man huh

obviously not serious lol, I get you

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Animal Crossing has always been a mini-vacation for me and when I go on vacation in real life I look forward to shutting my phone off and leaving it on a drawer somewhere. Hell, I live by the ocean and I'd love to just throw the damn thing in. The last thing I want is to have a smartphone in Animal Crossing. What's next, in game instabook and email and facetwitter?

Maybe a liiiiittle old and cranky.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017

You're officially an AC Boomer

Oct 25, 2017
Have people decided digital vs. physical?
giphy.gif

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Less than three weeks to go!!

Any restrictions with game sharing with this game if one owns the digital game? I'm still weighing up whether or not to get the cart or the download.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States

I don't hate it, but I do think it's interesting that Gaming has reached an age where it is simulating other devices within the game itself. But I'm not sure what I actually mean by that because video games have always simulated other devices within them (computers in particular). Even Animal Crossing has fully simulated other video game consoles and emulated other video games, which has allowed you to play a video game in a video game, which is way more existentially frightening than the presence of a smartphone.

Yet somehow a smartphone feels different. I guess when other video games would have computers in them I always perceived them as lesser or specialty terminals that perform limited functions. And with the video game consoles that appeared in Animal Crossing, those were always retro games. Maybe a smartphone feels so different because it's contemporary piece of technology which makes the escapist experience of Animal Crossing feel less removed from real life.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017

I mean is it not just a facade for what would otherwise be a floating menu? It's not like you're getting work emails on it.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017

Agreed!!!

Feels detrimental to the theme. In the end it's just a mechanic and they probably added it for qol reasons.

supervino256

Aug 14, 2019

Except the phone in New Horizons is more like a pocket PC :P
I mean, there's no messaging feature, no annoying notification, no social network app, none of that stressful stuff :)
It's like a calculator / encyclopedia, more so than a phone. It's only here when you really need it.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I don't hate it, but I do think it's interesting that Gaming has reached an age where it is simulating other devices within the game itself. But I'm not sure what I actually mean by that because video games have always simulated other devices within them (computers in particular). Even Animal Crossing has fully simulated other video game consoles and emulated other video games, which has allowed you to play a video game in a video game, which is way more existentially frightening than the presence of a smartphone.

Yet somehow a smartphone feels different. I guess when other video games would have computers in them I always perceived them as lesser or specialty terminals that perform limited functions. And with the video game consoles that appeared in Animal Crossing, those were always retro games. Maybe a smartphone feels so different because it's contemporary piece of technology which makes the escapist experience of Animal Crossing feel less removed from real life.
Another way to think about it is that the last Animal Crossing game that could be played on a TV came out around the same time as the first smartphone (as we know them today), and the series by far precedes them. The world has changed around Animal Crossing as time has gone on, and the NookPhone is a plain reminder of that.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
The point is that the AC world has operated with the relaxed idea that you can walk around and talk with all your neighbors and friends, with a postal system servicing that small community (plus characters in other towns.) NES games aren't really the same thing since they functioned as mini-games, which players are familiar with in various games. With a smartphone one then has to consider the idea of modern communication somehow intersecting with this quaint setting.

danielvdell

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Feb 12, 2019
Los Angeles
Would love a music app on the nookphone that lets you listen to KK and previous games' soundtracks while walking around town. Doubt they'll go that far, though.

Yes! This is my most-wanted feature. New Horizons' soundtrack sounds phenomenal so far -- much closer to the GameCube version's than any other game's -- but I'm so nostalgic for the GCN game's soundtrack. It'd be awesome to be able to changes things up every once in a while.

I envisioned a "GB Sounds"-like item prior to New Horizons' E3 reveal, but a NookPhone app makes too much sense. I was also only hoping for hourly music replacement, but after hearing the New Horizons museum takes cues from the Wild World/City Folk/New Leaf museum music, I'd also love if this hypothetical NookPhone app would also replace music in specific locations (like shops and the museum). The GCN museum music is so much better than what came after. It was so mysterious -- almost spooky, even.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I was definitely a little disappointed. It makes sense and gives a pseudo-diegetic quality to the game's menus but it is sort of a direction that I had specifically hoped the game wouldn't go towards when it was first announced. I read into the initial teaser hard, particularly with the whole Tom Nook watching TV thing and I envisioned a version of the game that was deliberately a generation or two behind, tech-wise, and used TV as a means of connecting players rather than the thing that we use constantly now. I had hoped the game would play up the quaintness, or rather simplicity, of not having a phone.

It also just raises questions about how they're able to get reception on a deserted island. My theory is that the islands are actually little enclosed biomes located hundreds of miles beneath the surface of the Earth

Rover

Oct 25, 2017

Just think of it as a menu, because that's all it really is

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I've been playing DOOM 3 (which I got for free with the coins from ACNH) to pass the time waiting for ACNH.
I think I should be able to finish it before AC comes out.
Its a lot of fun :D I used to use the demo to test out my new pcs because it looked so good.
And on the switch it looks amazing and runs at 60fps

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Anyone tried downloading anything on a Switch with 4G? I figure I'll go to pick it up early and leave it and my phone set up as a hotspot in my locker and hope it downloads at least a little bit, but I don't even know if the system comes charged at all, because I'm definitely not leaving it out in my locker room to charge. I have no idea if this is really workable or if I'll have to just set it all up when I get home.

I haven't tried hotspot from my phone though does the locker area have Wifi? It's probably more stable. Whichever you choose, I would bring a portable battery pack & keep your devices charged while the download happens.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
The way some people in here talk, I wonder if you wanted a new Animal Crossing, or just the GameCube version in HD.

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes! This is my most-wanted feature. New Horizons' soundtrack sounds phenomenal so far -- much closer to the GameCube version's than any other game's -- but I'm so nostalgic for the GCN game's soundtrack. It'd be awesome to be able to changes things up every once in a while.

I envisioned a "GB Sounds"-like item prior to New Horizons' E3 reveal, but a NookPhone app makes too much sense. I was also only hoping for hourly music replacement, but after hearing the New Horizons museum takes cues from the Wild World/City Folk/New Leaf museum music, I'd also love if this hypothetical NookPhone app would also replace music in specific locations (like shops and the museum). The GCN museum music is so much better than what came after. It was so mysterious -- almost spooky, even.
A soundtrack swapper has been one of my biggest requests. I love almost all the music, but being able to jump around soundtracks would be great imo. Or even better, mix and match favorites.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
why is the only exception TLoU2?
I've been slowly buying digital copies of everything I have on the cheap then trading in the hard copies. Except, for some reason, I can't bring myself to trade in the Uncharted series/The Last of Us. So I'm gonna get Part 2 physical to go with that little collection and leave it at that. Weird, I know. Idk why I can't get rid of them.

Anbec

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I'm torn between Physical or digital since it's cheaper to get physical where I live ugh

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017

I wouldn't be able to enjoy a vacation unless I had my phone, personally. 30 male.

Anbec

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
On a scale of 1-10, how big an Animal Crossing fan are you???

That's the thing, I'm new on this. I wanted a game I could chill out a little every day and this seems to be good based on some comments from the hype thread.

I think... I'll go physical and in the case it's not for me I could sell it or give it to my niece :)

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand

Not sure if its been posted before, but this guy has some info I haven't seen before.
IE if you shake your trees with lights in them at christmas, they drop decorations :O
Looks like you could probably collect them and decorate your house with them :D

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
It would be neat if we would choose to leave the NookPhone in a drawer and subsequently lost access to those menus and ultimately ... not be able to function or really do anything at all.

NotSelf

Oct 26, 2017
I don't mind the smartphone what I always thought was weird is having soxes in the game I mean whats next underwear?

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Do we know yet how Christmas will be handled in the Southern Hemisphere?
Are we going to decorate summer trees? Is winter going to be missing the best part of the whole dang thing?