• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When do you expect the Animal Crossing Direct?

• February 5th or 6th

Votes: 58 6.6%
  • February 12th or 13th

Votes: 119 13.5%
  • February 19th or 20th

Votes: 297 33.7%
  • Later Feburary

Votes: 123 13.9%
  • Early March

Votes: 127 14.4%
  • No Direct

Votes: 158 17.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
...I actually find Stardew super relaxing and it's something I play to put myself to sleep.

Pangorogoro

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah the cards are selling for crazy prices. I'm lucky that Graham is pretty unpopular so he was just 480 yen (around 5 dollars US) on Amazon JP, but Marshal, my actual favorite, is going for 13,000 yen (~130 USD)! :o
It's funny how popular Merengue is over here ($20-30+ Auctions) while I got my Merengue card for around 300 yen and she goes for around 550 yen on Japanese auctions now.

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
My only hope for this game is to let me enter and exit a building without having a forced dialogue box.

That and being able to run without penalty.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
My only hope for this game is to let me enter and exit a building without having a forced dialogue box.

That and being able to run without penalty.

Yeah, hopefully the emphasis on custom paths this time around means they've gotten rid of grass wear. Did anyone ever like that feature?

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Is the stalk market in the game or anything similar? I've only ever played New Leaf so not sure if it this has been in every AC game? I really enjoyed it in NL.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Yeah, hopefully the emphasis on custom paths this time around means they've gotten rid of grass wear. Did anyone ever like that feature?
I've seen a few defenders of it but their opinion is bad and not worth listening to.

Is the stalk market in the game or anything similar? I've only ever played New Leaf so not sure if it this has been in every AC game? I really enjoyed it in NL.
Yes, now handled by a new character named Daisy Mae instead of Joan.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
That was the worst. I can kinda see why they thought it might add something unique (natural paths), but it was a terrible idea and they kept it around for the next game!

What run button? I was slowly walking around everywhere :(

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
I think I know that I'm hyped for this game when I completely forgot that Persona comes out like a week later

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
My dilemma is I'm selling my OG Switch to get the Coral Switch Lite, which releases April 3rd. Do I tease myself with the game for two weeks and then start over when the Lite comes out, or do I just wait? The lack of save backup really stings right now.

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH
Real talk though, what modern games besides Animal Crossing do you guys play to relax?
I usually don't play for that purpose, but I feel that way about most strategy and turn-based games, and visual novels. Animal Crossing is the one with the most long-lasting supply, so to speak. The next closest thing, for me, was whenever I was exploring the wilderness and different locales in BotW.

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
I work until 7-8-9 pm. Except for weekends. Will I be missing out on stuff playing mostly at night?

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Paintings are a yes I reckon, but she's also awkwardly painting with the buttons.

R1YzAB9.jpg

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Really? That's great news! I might do the tutorial part before going to bed, then!
I might be misremembering, but, didn't some of the other Animal Crossing games work the same way, where the beginning part had anything you needed unlocked, and then stores and whatnot would close after you got through the whole thing?

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I might be misremembering, but, didn't some of the other Animal Crossing games work the same way, where the beginning part had anything you needed unlocked, and then stores and whatnot would close after you got through the whole thing?

Right. Starting every previous AC game at super late hours would give you everything needed to pass Nook's tutorial stuff, and then would immediately go to "normal game" mode once you had finished that.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain

I've never started an Animal Crossing game at night before, so I'm not sure. It's good to know, though.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
as a boomer I can confirm typing on the gamecube was hell
Flashback to when I was certain we had to gently ask in the letter for the commussion to get our fossile analysed.
I hope they reissue the cards, I'm afraid to look at the prices for Ankha and Coco :( I couldn't ever find them in NL. Might just have to try again in game.

I bought the most important card - my only Amiibo of any kind - minutes after the Direct ended anyway. It was for Stinky!
I might be the only fan of Stinky. He was $2.
There's so many cards that a lot are around 2$ yeah. Gabi, Groucho, Sly are 3 that I want in my village and they're all at 2 or 3€.
Real talk though, what modern games besides Animal Crossing do you guys play to relax?
I don't think that I have a game as relaxing as Animal Crossing ? It's such a unique game, I don't think there's anything else like it as relaxing.
But I definitely have a bunch of games that put no pression on me. Sims 4 is a one that I play a lot.
I play JRPGs on the easiest difficulty too, it's pretty relaxing. Persona 5 is the chillest thanks to the music, art direction, and real life sections. It's so cool to just hang out in the hub areas after school. (And the easiest difficulty is so fun, you get probably... At least 3 or 4 times more xp and money than in other difficulty modes, it's really insane lol)
I can't wait to go back into it when Royal release.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I liked it in theory. Natural paths popping to showing where you tread is neat and New Leaf's paths in particular looked very nice, many people jealous of my natural pathing.

But in practice it was a pain. Grass died too quickly in City Folk in particular; I never had a dreaded desert town happen but even just walking a few days would start to tear and it goes barren very quick. New Leaf put it to more managable levels but still had the OTHER issue: no fast way to regrow grass. Flowers worked too slowly and trees werent much better. And it was very easy, especially in CF , to undo progress.

Just letting you have full control over pathing is not the end point I expected but I am here for it.

l2iv6

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
all of my friends are telling me to get a nintendo switch lite so I can play with them, would it be worth it?

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I work until 7-8-9 pm. Except for weekends. Will I be missing out on stuff playing mostly at night?
Maybe. We doesn't know if we can play with time in this game. Will events will be open from 00:00 to 23:59 ?
But yes, there is a risk. Some things are only available at night and it is true for the day too.
all of my friends are telling me to get a nintendo switch lite so I can play with them, would it be worth it?
"Worth" base on what ?

l2iv6

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
"Worth" base on what ?

I just wonder if it's something I'd get sick of quickly? I played animal crossing on mobile, and it was super cute, but I found myself never going back to it after a week or so because there wasn't a lot of customisability/things to do. It seems like there's a lot more going on with this release though, so maybe it'll be worth it? I'm sure I'd find other games to play too, though I haven't really played any nintendo games since the DS came out lmao

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I just wonder if it's something I'd get sick of quickly? I played animal crossing on mobile, and it was super cute, but I found myself never going back to it after a week or so because there wasn't a lot of customisability/things to do. It seems like there's a lot more going on with this release though, so maybe it'll be worth it? I'm sure I'd find other games to play too, though I haven't really played any nintendo games since the DS came out lmao
Oh yeah the mobile game is nothing like the main line Animal Crossing games.
If you want to customize your world, don't worry, it's the main appeal of this game. It's more customizable than it has ever been.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain

Animal Crossing is the kind of game you can play for literally years. You play a little bit every day, doing what you want at your own pace. If that sounds appealing to you, then it's definitely worth it.

In terms of customization, this is the biggest entry in the series by far. And it seems like there will be a lot of content to keep you busy.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Paintings are a yes I reckon, but she's also awkwardly painting with the buttons.

R1YzAB9.jpg

To be honest I might actually prefer doing this with buttons. The patterns in AC have always been more about "plotting" pixels rather than outright drawing, and that canvas looks way too small to do it reliably even with a stylus that works with the Switch

I assume both will be supported though yeah

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Shoesnothing, sorry,
that's because Pocket Camp is shit.

*join us*

Also the customisability is getting up there with furniture and pathing etc, confirmed.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Can we move spaces between profiles? My 200+ hour Zelda save is on my 12 year old's profile, since the little shit was only playing on the main adult/PayPal one since we got it. So now I want to make another profile, move the Zelda one there, then set up my new village on an account for adults. You never know what I may want to play in the future and I'd hate to have to create a new profile just for Death Mario: the Beheading of Link.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The mobile game is nothing like the main game. The main series is one of the most customizable feature rich life sim games there is.

Oh no

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Just bought a Kid Cat Amiibo card for a few £. The thirst is real! You guys weren't kidding about the price of some of the cards though, wow.

l2iv6

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah the mobile game is nothing like the main line Animal Crossing games.
If you want to customize your world, don't worry, it's the main appeal of this game. It's more customizable than it has ever been.

Animal Crossing is the kind of game you can play for literally years. You play a little bit every day, doing what you want at your own pace. If that sounds appealing to you, then it's definitely worth it.

In terms of customization, this is the biggest entry in the series by far. And it seems like there will be a lot of content to keep you busy.

Shoesnothing, sorry,

that's because Pocket Camp is shit.

*join us*

Also the customisability is getting up there with furniture and pathing etc, confirmed.

The mobile game is nothing like the main game. The main series is one of the most customizable feature rich life sim games there is.

so good to hear! just messaged someone about buying a switch lite just now. after watching the nintendo direct vid I'm pretty convinced.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
so good to hear! just messaged someone about buying a switch lite just now. after watching the nintendo direct vid I'm pretty convinced.
IMO a great choice. I haven't used my original Switch attached to a TV in over a year, and I've grown to hate how it feels in handheld mode. I used a co-workers Lite a week or so ago and it convinced me I needed to get rid of my OG and grab a lite + Flip case, and then Nintendo announced a Coral Lite, which is why I currently still have my OG Switch and not a Lite.