• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Eurogamer:
I'm not sure how much you can say about an all-new Animal Crossing from just an hour spent in its company - these are games for life - but between that and everything from today's Direct I can certainly try. This is a gentle upgrade for Nintendo's life-sim series, but one that brings more structure to your life while streamlining many other elements.
www.eurogamer.net

Animal Crossing: New Horizons is a much more structured take on the series

I think it was Sam Beckett - the playwright, not the body-hopping scientist - who once said you can learn just as much …

The Verge:
New Horizons isn't just the series's long-awaited debut on the Switch; it's also what looks like the biggest departure for Animal Crossing to date. By shifting the setting to a near-deserted island, the developers at Nintendo have found a premise that lets them play with a well-worn formula while still keeping what works.

IGN:
In my time with New Horizons (the first 30 minutes) gameplay doesn't stray far from what makes Animal Crossing so charmingly addictive a few key updates aim to make it the most customizable entry in the series.

The Animal Crossing Nintendo Direct showed massive potential for the newfound deserted island to grow into a proper village, and I got to see what it's like from its meager beginnings. Granted, one half-hour isn't enough time to get a true sense of New Horizons' day-to-day gameplay, but I did get to see some of its new systems.
www.ign.com

Animal Crossing: New Horizons – Hands-On With the First 30 Minutes - IGN

This new entry promises an extremely fresh start with a start on a deserted island.

GamesRadar:
Even from the smallest sample of island life, it's clear that Animal Crossing: New Horizons iterates on everything that we know and love about the series as a whole. Taking the mechanics that made Animal Crossing: New Leaf so utterly brilliant, New Horizons adds shine and polish, making tweaks where necessary to ensure that there's enough in here to keep it feeling fresh. New Horizons isn't an overhaul in any sense of the word, this is more of the Animal Crossing you know and love – and it is bliss.
www.gamesradar.com

Hands-on with Animal Crossing: New Horizons – Reassuringly familiar, but that's exactly what you want

Don't worry, Animal Crossing: New Horizons is going to be everything you hope it would be

Game Informer:
Animal Crossing is a tough game to appreciate in such a short session, but I can already feel myself getting drawn into its laid-back loops.
www.gameinformer.com

Hands-on With Animal Crossing: New Horizons

I got to pitch a tent, meet my neighbors, and use a (breakable?!) fishing pole in Nintendo’s upcoming village sim.

Last edited:

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Has Tom Nook been donezoed yet? That mfer is dangerous in these games.
He's now the El Capitan of this fledgling Banana Republic. He Jim Jones us every day over microphone from the town square with a morning announcement. I fear for the day when he asks Isabelle to hand out the Flavor Aid after some government officials visit the island.

Last edited:

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
God bless these previews, but only MMOs would give you a smaller snapshot of the full experience after 60 minutes of playtime than Animal Crossing.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I have a question that I don't think warrants its own thread, so I am going to ask here. I want to be excited about this game, but the only other AC title I've played was the original on GameCube. There were things about it I enjoyed, but for the most part it just felt like... I don't know; work, I guess? Like, there was a sort of sense of obligation to play, that if I didn't spend half an hour with it every day that I was neglecting a chore that needed to be done. That memory has kept me from trying Stardew Valley so far, because I got the sense that it would be the same kind of thing.

So, with zero intent to disparage anyone's enjoyment of the series, I guess I'm curious what about this game people find fun and/or enjoyable. It's obviously doing something right, given how excited people are for it. Maybe it's just not for me (which is fine), maybe there was something about it I was missing (I didn't have anyone else to play with, so I missed out on all the trading stuff, writing letters, etc), maybe something else.

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
I have a question that I don't think warrants its own thread, so I am going to ask here. I want to be excited about this game, but the only other AC title I've played was the original on GameCube. There were things about it I enjoyed, but for the most part it just felt like... I don't know; work, I guess? Like, there was a sort of sense of obligation to play, that if I didn't spend half an hour with it every day that I was neglecting a chore that needed to be done. That memory has kept me from trying Stardew Valley so far, because I got the sense that it would be the same kind of thing.

So, with zero intent to disparage anyone's enjoyment of the series, I guess I'm curious what about this game people find fun and/or enjoyable. It's obviously doing something right, given how excited people are for it. Maybe it's just not for me (which is fine), maybe there was something about it I was missing (I didn't have anyone else to play with, so I missed out on all the trading stuff, writing letters, etc), maybe something else.

It's a relaxing sim game. You design things how you want, and place things were you want them to go to make your own town and customize it. Sure you have to check in every day or so if you want to and that could be perceived as work. But if you play any modern shooter and you check in for the daily challenge to get more xp or a weapon skin you want, it isn't much different.

It isn't for everyone but everything you do in Animal Crossing isn't for skill, it's for self satisfaction and customization.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
This game will easily be in my top 3 most played Switch games. This and Smash Ultimate (my #1).

Nov 5, 2019
In general, it seems like great improvements in customization and presentation without significant alterations to general gameplay. No paid DLCs at the moment either unless you count Amiibos and the AC villager cards (I still need a Marshal card).

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Yeah after the direct I think this still isn't for me and AC never will. I am ok with that but I wish they would release those controllers/colors as standalones so I don't need to buy the whole console.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
This game must be tricky to review for how it is played. It is not a game where you can rush in two weeks, it is a game to play a little every day.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like a lovely iteration to the formula, but what stands out to me most is the polish. The game LOOKS good and thought-out. I bet it will shine bright for people that love the series.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
If I were to buy New Horizons, am I able to have multiple saves/accounts on my Switch for multiple people in my house to play?

blondkayvon

Oct 26, 2017
If I were to buy New Horizons, am I able to have multiple saves/accounts on my Switch for multiple people in my house to play?
One island per Switch. Every account on the Switch can create one character to live on the island, up to 8. 4 can play together at any given time (8 can play together online).
How does that work exactly? I'm fairly new to the series and only played the mobile game, so sorry for this basic question.
Does what I said above cover it?

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
How does that work exactly? I'm fairly new to the series and only played the mobile game, so sorry for this basic question.
Up to 4 people can play together at the same time locally through one system. With up to 8 players total being able to live on the same island/system. Each player will get their own house in town and individual stuff, but the town itself and the progress/changes associated with that is shared by everyone. When playing together one player is the "leader" and everyone else is a secondary character. So basically where the leader goes everyone else does too. You can't just run off in different directions with like split screen or anything. Living in the same town has a been thing since the beginning, but this is the first title without any kind of workaround.

blondkayvon

Oct 26, 2017
Up to 4 people can play together at the same time locally through one system. With up to 8 players total locally on the same system. Each player will get their own house in town. But when playing together one player is the "leader" and everyone else is a secondary character. So basically where the leader goes everyone else does too. Living in the same town has a been thing since the beginning, but this is the first title without any kind of workaround.
Not exactly an elegant solution and totally not feasible for the vast majority but I guess one workaround would involve having two Switches. I have a regular and a lite, so if I wanted to I could use my docked Switch as a shared world but could theoretically make a separate island on my lite so use just for me.

blondkayvon

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I don't really know what The Verge is talking about with that quote.
Really? I was thinking that Eurogamer was off base. It's a huge departure for Animal Crossing when it comes to crafting and the insane level of customization options. Animal Crossing was customizable before but a lot of it involved workarounds that weren't exactly intended. Using half-squares for furniture (only seen in Happy Home Designer), putting furni outside, being able to move houses/trees, designating where neighbors can move in, real paths, terraforming, etc are megatons for people familiar with AC.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Not exactly an elegant solution and totally not feasible for the vast majority but I guess one workaround would involve having two Switches. I have a regular and a lite, so if I wanted to I could use my docked Switch as a shared world but could theoretically make a separate island on my lite so use just for me.
Yeah, unfortunately the only way to have extra islands is to have an extra system. You're out at least $200 but would only need to buy the game once, digitally at least.

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
Most worthless hands on impressions thread ever ahha. I appreciate the press efforts though lol.

Can't wait to dive deep into ACNH.

fossi8

One Winged Slayer
Apr 22, 2018
What average score do you think this game is going to get on reviews?

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Really? I was thinking that Eurogamer was off base. It's a huge departure for Animal Crossing when it comes to crafting and the insane level of customization options. Animal Crossing was customizable before but a lot of it involved workarounds that weren't exactly intended. Using half-squares for furniture (only seen in Happy Home Designer), putting furni outside, being able to move houses/trees, designating where neighbors can move in, real paths, terraforming, etc are megatons for people familiar with AC.

I spent thousands of hours in AC games and whilst these are good additions, it isn't really where I wanted AC to go on Switch.This feels like an upgrade to the last 3DS game with a lot of polish and quality of life features.

That's fine, but I just wish they went a little further. Larger towns, land travelling, etc.

daripad

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I spent thousands of hours in AC games and whilst these are good additions, it isn't really where I wanted AC to go on Switch.This feels like an upgrade to the last 3DS game with a lot of polish and quality of life features.

That's fine, but I just wish they went a little further. Larger towns, land travelling, etc.

It is just my opinion, but I think that would be detrimental to the game. Animal Crossing is great because you never feel overwhelmed with what you can do, it is all cosy and tiny so it makes the game a more relaxing experience.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got damn, nothing but positivity from the outlets for such a positive game.

Can't fucking wait, my dudes.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Is it save to say the game only runs in 30fps? :(

Yes, a game like AC doesn't *need* 60fps, but it simply feels, looks and controls so much nicer.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
The one thing I'm hoping for is more town amenities. We've had the same museum, store, etc forever. Really hope they add more content over time. Not exactly sure what else they could add though. Off the top of my head a barbershop? Maybe an Aquarium separate from the Museum? A library (with new items to collect separate from the museum)?

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Can two people play at the same time?

My daughter is dying to get this game, which is weird as she has never played Animal Crossing before. Just based on what she knows from an older cousin.