• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I'm seriously considering buying a Celeste amiibo now. She's my 2nd favorite non-villager character after Reese, we stan.
But do we really need to have amiibos/cards of characters to have them in our village though?

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone done the math based on existing footage for how big the island is? If shops are being put back into the main map, plus you're now expected to have a large front lawn with lots of stuff in it, it seems like it should be a little bigger than in the past at least.

The direct implied there'd be a handful of animals going to the island with you in the beginning of the game. Do you know the amount that starts the town?
It was either 2 or 3.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
They haven't confirmed it yet, but I'd be surprised if you can't still recruit villagers from other people's towns by talking to them while they're in boxes. Amiibo cards will hopefully not be the only way of a guaranteed recruit.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Regarding villager numbers, I've been wondering about this a bit.
Is it possible we don't have a singular hard number for animal villagers on an island because...that maximum might change based on how many human players enter? The amount of space taken up and crowded feeling would be waaay different if you were to have 1 human and 12 animals compared to 8 humans with 12 animals. There may be more of a rolling max based on total population to some extent, though I have nothing to base that on.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I loved most of what I saw in the Direct. I'm curious about a couple of things though.

I'm not interested in micromanaging the villagers. Do you have to mark lots for them to move in or is that just an option? I'd rather they move in wherever and work around them.

Also, this might be a stupid question, is all of the themed furniture coming back? I know you can buy some premade stuff, but is it a limited amount of items or will all the old stuff cycle through. Or is all that stuff craftable too?

Regardless, I can't wait. I've started up a new town in Magician's Quest to kill time, but it's not the same.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone done the math based on existing footage for how big the island is? If shops are being put back into the main map, plus you're now expected to have a large front lawn with lots of stuff in it, it seems like it should be a little bigger than in the past at least.
Based on the E3 trailer it's a tiny little bit larger than New Leaf, though that seems to be mostly because it has beaches on all sides. I haven't seen any updated estimates from the direct though I doubt it would have changed much. I'm worried that it's going to be too small

Feb 4, 2018
i really need to know if eugene is in

4de0100d3f057c65b56d6512320f15b480a5edf6.gifv

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Is it possible we don't have a singular hard number for animal villagers on an island because...that maximum might change based on how many human players enter? The amount of space taken up and crowded feeling would be waaay different if you were to have 1 human and 12 animals compared to 8 humans with 12 animals. There may be more of a rolling max based on total population to some extent, though I have nothing to base that on.
Yeah, a compromise like that would be ideal. Additionally, since anyone moving in has to be approved by the player choosing a location, you should theoretically be able to decline any more animals if you feel your island is already crowded enough. Having the maximum number of animals be somewhat high, while then giving the player the freedom to choose how many they want would be an even better solution.

SurTAR

Dec 9, 2018
Gotta questions. Shop owners such as Gracie, Brewster, Labell (even KK Slider?) will first come to our island in order to see if it's ready to get their shops established on It? I didnt understand it well... But seeing Harvey as a tourist and then as a place owner made me think that.

If that's true, could be the reason why we haven't see barely any special characters (nor shops) and could be a way to get updates including new ones. I miss Cyprus and Resee :(

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
I think I will have the houses in one area and make the island in sections. Like a housing section, a garden/parking, shopping, and other sections.
I should definitely make a park area. Somewhere cosy to hang out on rainy days. Bit of a dilemma, 'cause I probably need to make it myself but I want it to look natural.
Definitely a neighborhood. I've wanted to build a true neighborhood for years.
I'm still undecided on whether I'll build a neighbourhood or not, but I'm definitely gonna group my favourites together, like they used to live in my old GameCube town. I've missed seeing Bill and Dizzy hang out ever since Bill moved out, like fifteen years ago.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Gotta questions. Shop owners such as Gracie, Brewster, Labell (even KK Slider?) will first come to our island in order to see if it's ready to get their shops established on It? I didnt understand it well... But seeing Harvey as a tourist and then as a place owner made me think that.

If that's true, could be the reason why we haven't see barely any special characters (nor shops) and could be a way to get updates including new ones. I miss Cyprus and Resee :(
I'm kind of skeptical that Reese and Cyrus will be in since you're able to customize stuff by yourself now, and Tommy and Timmy seem to be in charge of recycling stuff again.

They'll probably pop up somewhere, but I'm having trouble racking my brain to think what they could permanently be in charge of.

SurTAR

Dec 9, 2018
I'm kind of skeptical that Reese and Cyrus will be in since you're able to customize stuff by yourself now, and Tommy and Timmy seem to be in charge of recycling stuff again.

They'll probably pop up somewhere, but I'm having trouble racking my brain to think what they could permanently be in charge of.

Maybe the Market Place?

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Based on the E3 trailer it's a tiny little bit larger than New Leaf, though that seems to be mostly because it has beaches on all sides. I haven't seen any updated estimates from the direct though I doubt it would have changed much. I'm worried that it's going to be too small

I'm also a bit concerned about overall size. It's hard to see and compare right now with the footage we have. It could be a little bit bigger than NL though. Well... that's what i'm hoping for anyways.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017

That section was just talking about the usual special visitors. Harvey in particular is set up on a different island, Photoopia, rather than just a building you can make. And some like the new turnip girl and Saharah will likely just be usual visitor-only characters.
I do think we'll see them eventually able to "add on" to stores, though, since we kind of already had that in New Leaf with Gracie and Katrina. Label in particular seems like she'd join up for a boutique expansion ala Gracie and Kicks seems like someone who'd get his own store again. We haven't seen Leaf, but him joining back up with the nooklings would make a lot of sense.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
I'd say the terraforming is a rather major change, personally.
I see it as a QOL feature to make your island more personal to how you want it. Animal Crossing to me has always been about the events and activities you take part in with the villagers and they didn't do much innovation on that front. I was hoping we'd get more activities instead of the usual fishing and bug catching.

I'm sure people that love to decorate and customize their islands will see terraforming as a gamechanger though

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Someone here probably knows more than me about it, but was this cell tower in the previous titles? With the introduction of the NookPhone, I got the immediate feeling it opens up phone features, but then again it can be completely cosmetic.

HAwnZi5.png

r_n

Oct 25, 2017

I suspect that while Nook will offer his own workshops, as shown in the direct, there will be other special seminars that you can get recipes from that are handled by the Alpacas.

basically think of Nook as to the Abel Sisters what the Alpacas would be to Label or Kicks

I also wouldn't be surprised if we see other special npcs come in to offer improved or take over other aspects. Like right now, Mail is handeled by the Dodos. But I would be pretty surprised if we're never able to bring in Pelly, Phyllis and Pete for a proper mail office.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't have much expectations of New Horizons and I didn't plan to buy it, but after seeing all the things you can do, I might buy this at launch. That was a good presentation. Chill and jolly.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I suspect that while Nook will offer his own workshops, as shown in the direct, there will be other special seminars that you can get recipes from that are handled by the Alpacas.

basically think of Nook as to the Abel Sisters what the Alpacas would be to Label or Kicks

I also wouldn't be surprised if we see other special npcs come in to offer improved or take over other aspects. Like right now, Mail is handeled by the Dodos. But I would be pretty surprised if we're never able to bring in Pelly, Phyllis and Pete for a proper mail office.
That's certainly all possible. I was kind of wondering if they might change things up this time around and provide upgrade options for more locations. Seeling Labelle as a traveling guest kind of made me think that the Able Sister's shop might be upgradable this time so that she adds her accessories to it again.

Maybe down the line the Airport gets a similar upgrade, and Reese and Cyrus set up shop in the T&T shops.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
I see it as a QOL feature to make your island more personal to how you want it. Animal Crossing to me has always been about the events and activities you take part in with the villagers and they didn't do much innovation on that front. I was hoping we'd get more activities instead of the usual fishing and bug catching.

I'm sure people that love to decorate and customize their islands will see terraforming as a gamechanger though
Ah yeah, I can understand.
Hopefully, if you do get it, you'll still find some fun in it.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Someone here probably knows more than me about it, but was this cell tower in the previous titles? With the introduction of the NookPhone, I got the immediate feeling it opens up phone features, but then again it can be completely cosmetic.

HAwnZi5.png

I'd figure it's just cosmetic, entirely because it would feel a bit restrictive to tie gameplay mechanics to something that might mess up the aesthetic of your town. It's neat, though! I might make a little suburb with some of those for flavour

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
I'm seriously considering buying a Celeste amiibo now. She's my 2nd favorite non-villager character after Reese, we stan.
But do we really need to have amiibos/cards of characters to have them in our village though?

Celeste is a special NPC, neither her amiibo figurine or amiibo card will work to summon her. None of the AC amiibo have that functionality in NH, AFAIK.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I doubt that, because then you'd end up in situations where you have to force animal villagers to move out before you can create more human characters.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
No you don't need it.
Especially for non villagers. The amiibos let you do a photo shoot in a set with the characters you summoned via amiibo or amiibo cards.

For villagers, amiibo cards just let you have them in your village for sure. Otherwise, it's just pure luck. You can go to the deserted island a lot since you'll find a villger other there that you can ask to come to the village. So go there as much as you can, and hope to find the one you want.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is Animal Crossing Villager the first Nintendo character to canonically own a cell phone? The closest I can think of are the characters from Tokyo Mirage Sessions, but I'm not sure if they're partially owned by Atlus.

Edit: Woomy

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy that the visuals are actually pretty close to the mk8 track. Arguably better in some aspects.
1200px-Animal_Crossing_preview_MK8_art.png
It's actually crazy - somehow, New Horizons makes this level look more like those "MARIO 64 IN UNREAL ENGINE" videos - despite the fact that I wanted the Switch AC to look like this level SO BADLY when it came out.

New Horizons is seriously gorgeous.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone interested in helping me curate an online catalog of user-made designs? I'm currently looking for designs and QR codes from previous games, but will continue adding them to the simple database I'm creating after the release of the game.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Is Animal Crossing Villager the first Nintendo character to canonically own a cell phone? The closest I can think of are the characters from Tokyo Mirage Sessions, but I'm not sure if they're partially owned by Atlus.

There's the Rotom Phone from Sword & Shield, but Pokémon's a grey area. If you counted it you could even technically count the PokéGear from way-back-when.

Also kinda sorta Kirby

New Horizons is definitely the first fully featured one in terms of gameplay mechanics, though

hjort

Nov 9, 2017

Jimmy T from WarioWare has a flip phone in the GBA game. Maybe later, too.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy that the visuals are actually pretty close to the mk8 track. Arguably better in some aspects.
1200px-Animal_Crossing_preview_MK8_art.png
New Horizons is leaps and bounds beyond the Mario Kart track. Just look at the tree in the fall snapshot and compare it to one of the trees in New Horizons, it's a night and day difference. The lighting in Hew Horizons is way more sophisticated too. The only thing that is close or better is the water, but they are so stylistically different that it's hard to make a comparison. In retrospect the Mario Kart track looks a little ugly, the stock bushes and grass kind of ruin the look for me

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Woah

HAwnZi5.png
Woah, I did not see this screenshot before. This game is beautiful and the outside customization is insane.