• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Bring back everyone

even those weird animals based on gimmicky animal translator toys
latest
latest

especially those weird animals based on gimmicky animal translator toys

Soulsis

Oct 25, 2017
My fiancé loves Nintendo and adored Harvest Moon/Stardew Valley/The Sims but has never played Animal Crossing. I can't wait to buy him a copy coz he has no idea how obsessed he's about to be. Lol

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing the original on gamecube lately and comparing it to this vid there's just something missing, don't know how to explain it.
It seems too happy? does that make sense?

In the OG there could be feelings of eeriness and strangeness sometimes and the animals could actually be pretty mean at times which I appreciated haha

This is just rainbows and happiness and collecting and yay, not that those features are bad , this game seems great, just something feels hollow.

I would say GameCube Animal Crossing is more "earthy" than eerie, which is what I loved about it. The way everything felt muddy and like an actual forest was pretty cool, like it was an actual community of animals.

That said, I think New Horizons' aesthetic is just as good. New Leaf disappointed me a bit because it felt washed out and a bit too clean, but New Horizons is leaning far into the colors and honestly looks like it will nail the feeling of being on an island in an archipelago. Just the way those rocks jut out from the sides and the general sense of adventure you'll have getting from place to place, until it's "civilized" by pavements and bridges, will be a fun development to see.

I also won't really mind the lack of mean villagers considering they've upped their liveliness in other ways, like giving them way more world interactions. Seeing the jock villagers doing morning aerobics on the beach is amazing, and I assume the other personality types will have similar quirks.

samoscratch

Nov 25, 2017
I would say GameCube Animal Crossing is more "earthy" than eerie, which is what I loved about it. The way everything felt muddy and like an actual forest was pretty cool, like it was an actual community of animals.

That said, I think New Horizons' aesthetic is just as good. New Leaf disappointed me a bit because it felt washed out and a bit too clean, but New Horizons is leaning far into the colors and honestly looks like it will nail the feeling of being on an island in an archipelago. Just the way those rocks jut out from the sides and the general sense of adventure you'll have getting from place to place, until it's "civilized" by pavements and bridges, will be a fun development to see.

I also won't really mind the lack of mean villagers considering they've upped their liveliness in other ways, like giving them way more world interactions. Seeing the jock villagers doing morning aerobics on the beach is amazing, and I assume the other personality types will have similar quirks.

That's fair and glad you like the new aesthetic. Maybe I should have said tone....there's just something that has remained unmatched in my eyes since the first Animal Crossing. I'll still play this new one for sure though.

samoscratch

Nov 25, 2017
I just think it's nostalgia. Having n64 graphics that look eerie just because they're primitive doesn't make a game somehow less hollow.
The animals being mean at times can be fun and it still happens, but I feel like that happens all the time and for no reason in the first game, and it just feels off and against the main vibe of the series
I wasn't referring to graphics really, tone would probably be a better word, but meh I'm glad everyone is happy with it, just something I noticed.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Forgive me if this has been answered, but can you live on the same island in online multiplayer?

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France

I'm not sure I like the design changes for the sheep. Their wool patterns look the same, and the shirt looks out of place, compared to before where they looked unique and the scarf was a nice touch but not erasing their glorious selves.

Also, I've seen some hate for my fave Pietro on Twitter, and I'm ready to fite anyone who comes for this precious bundle of joy, let it be known!

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
Do you think the first scene with Isabelle was made specifically for the Direct or is rather something happening in game, maybe Isabelle making announcements ?
I'm talking about this one :
vlcsnap_2020_02_20_09h19m12s048.0.png

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017

I'm not sure I like the design changes for the sheep. Their wool patterns look the same, and the shirt looks out of place, compared to before where they looked unique and the scarf was a nice touch but not erasing their glorious selves.

Also, I've seen some hate for my fave Pietro on Twitter, and I'm ready to fite anyone who comes for this precious bundle of joy, let it be known!

Yeah, Pietro was Hella nerfed for NH

:(

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you think the first scene with Isabelle was made specifically for the Direct or is rather something happening in game, maybe Isabelle making announcements ?
I imagine that we'll see Isabelle working at the desk in-game, but with the normal camera angle. I think they used one of those special debug cameras or whatever to get some snazzier shots in the game, like this.

That being said, I'm all for the snazzying up of scenes!

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017

Isabelle will probably do the announcements when the resident center gets upgraded.

the7samurai

Oct 30, 2017
Why'd they take out Hambo? He's the only name I remember from my Gamecube town. I just liked his positive outlook on life.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Town Hall would always do a "morning announcement" before, if you had the game open while the clock rolled over to the next day. They're probably just expanding that idea and giving her a real place to do it from.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I don't mind it, it was always strange the sheep were the only animals that couldn't wear clothing. I always love seeing my villagers wearing my designs so it was a bummer that they couldn't wear shirts before

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing the original on gamecube lately and comparing it to this vid there's just something missing, don't know how to explain it.
It seems too happy? does that make sense?

In the OG there could be feelings of eeriness and strangeness sometimes and the animals could actually be pretty mean at times which I appreciated haha

This is just rainbows and happiness and collecting and yay, not that those features are bad , this game seems great, just something feels hollow.

I think I get what you mean. I'm nostalgic of the original GCN game as well (though granted, I think I would probably grow more tired of it compared to when it released). I love GCN villager's dialogue and I think WW villagers had a similar tone. It's true that animal dialogue has softened but there are still plenty of Cranky and sassy villagers around (you might wanna keep those around if you want more of that dialogue option). In fact, Monique (a snooty villager, I believe), was a little shit in NL, and basically would make sassy comments about your outfit choice and mean comments on other villagers. True, they don't "snap" as much as they did, which is something that I hope comes back, too.

I'm skeptic still about villagers still, but from what I've seen, dialogue looks interesting and funny like the original games. We'll see.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Do we have a confirmed list now for whose in the game and who got the boot?
There's roughly 199 villagers confirmed but the other 180 or so are still unknown.

nookipedia.com

List of villagers

The following is a complete list of villagers who appear at some point throughout the Animal Crossing series. As of April 2020 there are a grand total of 480 villagers, 35 species and 8 personalities spanning nine games, six consoles, and mobile devices. 104 villagers have appeared in all...

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

Wouldn't be surprised if Tom Nook and Isabelle swap out occasionally. Maybe Isabelle would do the event day announcements while Nook would tackle the regular days? Would be cute if they got holiday-themed outfits on certain days, too.

It will do a lot to alleviate repetition, as well, if they go that route

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I revisited my gamecube town this morning, apparently I haven't talked to Cube in 134 months.
I think Marcy has been there since 2004, what a veteran.

Characters had more bite and sass back then, hope this game's dialogue picks up a bit after the last few.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Meet me outside of this thread. I'm challenging you to a duel!
Pietro is the worst.

zsDsTSM.jpg

IMMA KICK YA ASS! PIETRO IS AN ANGEL ON EARTH AND JUST WANTS TO SPREAD JOY IN A COLORFUL WAY, HE IS UNPROBLEMATIC AS FUCK AND HAS A FANTASTIC PERSONALITY, MY CHILD DESERVES ALL THE LOVE IN THE WORLD AND YOU DESERVE TO HAVE SOME ACTUAL PROPER TASTE HAMMERED IN YOU!

NmzvTje.gif

I don't mind it, it was always strange the sheep were the only animals that couldn't wear clothing. I always love seeing my villagers wearing my designs so it was a bummer that they couldn't wear shirts before

Yeah but they looked so damn fluffy before though? And unique? I loved the scarf idea too, truly a shirt doesn't fit Pietro's new design much, he looked so much better with the scarf. Some other sheep look good though, especially the crop tops. But Pietro was done dirty, mostly.

Last edited:

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. We could speculate that some NPC's got cut since they were replaced, like Nat, Joan (RIP) and Chip.
Ok, that's what I figured, thanks!

There's roughly 199 villagers confirmed but the other 180 or so are still unknown.

nookipedia.com

List of villagers

The following is a complete list of villagers who appear at some point throughout the Animal Crossing series. As of April 2020 there are a grand total of 480 villagers, 35 species and 8 personalities spanning nine games, six consoles, and mobile devices. 104 villagers have appeared in all...

Ah nice, I'll take a look. Thank you!

Jan 2, 2018
zsDsTSM.jpg

IMMA KICK YA ASS! PIETRO IS AN ANGEL ON EARTH AND JUST WANTS TO SPREAD JOY IN A COLORFUL WAY, HE IS UNPROBLEMATIC AS FUCK AND HAS A FANTASTIC PERSONALITY, MY CHILD DESERVE ALL THE LOVE IN THE WORLD AND YOU DESERVE TO HAVE SOME ACTUAL PROPER TASTE HAMMERED IN YOU!

NmzvTje.gif

I'm sorry to inform you, but if your love of Pietro brings out so much hate, your relationship is a toxic one.
I approve of your love of Isabelle though.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Who was that pink gorilla struttin' it when the player was building a ladder?
I think that's Jane.

Edit: Nope, it's Violet. She's lighter looking than she was. More Pink than Purple now.
nookipedia.com

Violet

Violet is a snooty gorilla villager in the Animal Crossing series. She originally appeared in Doubutsu no Mori e+ as islander under the peppy personality, and after being absent in Animal Crossing: Wild World, she returns in Animal Crossing: City Folk, now as a snooty villager. This makes her...

MrGerbils

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is awfully odd that it works like that. Perhaps the game would take a noticeable performance hit simulating a large portion of the island simultaneously in split-screen, and they decided to do what they could in a polished manner?

I suppose.

I wish the Switch had download play, so we could play on the same island, using different Switches, but one cart..