• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
I remember the first game had NES games you could play, but they were rare to come across. Did that continue in the later games? The GameCube version is the only one I've played.

Kentsui

Oct 26, 2017
Amazing direct, they went above and beyond of what I was hoping for in some aspects.

Ofc Online, and save management seem on the disappointing side but everything else looks amazing.

Can't wait.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Unfortunately, but to do what you want you would need an always online game which just isn't compatible with a mobile console. There's just no way to reconcile a single island shared between two people if they could potentially play offline.
While that is true, I am curious if Nintendo could've gone for the option to have an island that only is accessible online and have a separate save for your singleplayer island with the classic "visiting other islands" online mode. Kinda like playing a Minecraft seed solo or on a server.

FoolsMilky

Sep 16, 2018
I cant believe they put realistic looking spiders in this game what the fuck Nintendo
Actually pretty interested in the expansion of dangerous creatures. Certainly makes sense for a deserted island setting.

c0dCD9K.png

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing really there to make me bite on this entry, but I haven't really been interested in this series since the DS. Big changes to the online interactions elements would have drawn me in, but it's basically the same, which isn't really surprising. Oh well, it seems like fans are happy so that's good.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
I remember the first game had NES games you could play, but they were rare to come across. Did that continue in the later games? The GameCube version is the only one I've played.
Nope, they ditched that later. Which is a pity. It would be cool if they let you access the NES/SNES games from your Nintendo Switch Online in-game, but I doubt that's gonna happen.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
...I do not want an option to decorate using the GUI, like it's Happy Home Designer or Pocket Camp. Don't give me that option :/

I don't want overdone convenience. A huge part of the charm here is the DIY nature, that everything is pretty slowpaced and there's no rush to do anything at a faster pace, and I love the naturalness of pushing around stuff myself, but if I have the option to be more efficient you're kinda making me feel like a fool for not using it. And then the game turns more into a Sims to me than AC.

I don't want all these convenience features. I wanna be immersed.

Welp, you have old Animal Crossing games for that, thankfully. For the rest of the world, quality of life changes are needed for sequels.

Oct 25, 2017
To clarify you only have one Switch, yes? Your son's? I wasn't clear if you were saying you have yours and your sons, but you ALSO have an account on your son's. Reason I ask is because my understanding with this AC is that there is only one Island per Switch. If you login on your account, you are your character on this island. If your son uses his account he is on his character but that same island.

I have 2 Switches. A regular for me and my son has a lite. I added my account to his switch that way he can download and play all my eshop games.
I think since it's 2 separate switches we should each get our own island?

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
The changes made to New Horizons show you that, despite the cheery art style and all-ages appeal, Nintendo really recognizes Animal Crossing is a core-focused game in the same way Odyssey and BOTW are.

Oct 27, 2017
ERPigaGWkAA7T9N

New image confirms at least 9 villagers in your island. I think it's likely we'll get at least 10 (which, will probably be the max. number of villagers). Was 10 the max in NL?

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, I have not played since Wild World, didn't know about that. Unless there were Scorpions in that game and I just never encountered one...

Tarantulas and scorpions only appeared extremely infrequently at night (in fact, most of the times you got stung before you could even react and get the net out) so you would pass out and reappear at the door of your house. Bees appear when shaking trees for stuff.

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
I have 2 Switches. A regular for me and my son has a lite. I added my account to his switch that way he can download and play all my eshop games.

Ah yes! You are all set then. Each Switch will have its own island, yep. So you should be able to both visit each other's islands via online co-op or couch co-op.

EDIT: Ah I just noticed you won't have two copies of the game. To be honest I have no real experience with game-share/account share on Switch or how that works or what, if any, limitations arise from that!

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

I'm looking to do something similar. Does doing this unlink your Nintendo Account from your main Switch, or does that still stay there so you have access to your own games (online connection required to boot), but now your account is simply the primary on your son's Switch?

Dalto11

Oct 27, 2017

As it appears no you won't be missing out on much. Amiibos will allow you to invite specific villagers to live on your island but they can still move there regardless by random chance. As for pocket camp it seems like there may be some exclusive items that come from in-game events from what they showed - so you may miss out on that but it likely won't be anything to sweat over.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I'm going to have an entire room filled with Nintendo stuff :D It looks like you can use the editing tool to make stuff almost look like it was made with that design, definitely going to be going QR code crazy :D

AzVal

May 7, 2018
Just watched and reinforced my mind that this series is not for me (only owned the Wii one), but seems par for the course.

So what is the controversy/drama this time? I know people will find something to make a fuss over.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking to do something similar. Does doing this unlink your Nintendo Account from your main Switch, or does that still stay there so you have access to your own games (online connection required to boot), but now your account is simply the primary on your son's Switch?

My account is still on my switch. I made my sons switch primary so he can take it in the car and stuff and not require internet. Anytime I boot up an Eshop game it does an online check first on my switch

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Just finished watching and I in am two very distinct minds about it. Hope someone can help me...

I played and LOVED The Sims (1) and Stardew Valley on their respective launches at their respective moments in time. What I loved was the freedom to do whatever I wanted, not check in everyday, and control every aspect.

This looks like...not that?

What is Animal Crossing exactly? Does it require constant attention? Are there microtransactions etc??

I looks similar to what I want but also the questions above show what I definitely don't want. I don't want a lifestyle. I want a lifestyle sim!
Animal Crossing is even more laid back IMO.
The way most people play is they check in once a day for a bit and then have longer playsessions exploring and redesigning.
Or you can just play whenever, the game doesnt penalize you. Except if you stay away for a long time the residents will notice and weeds will grow (but I think thats staying away for a few weeks IIRC) But in this one it looks like even weeds are worth money? so that seems like even less of a penalty lol

Also no Microtransactions.

FoolsMilky

Sep 16, 2018
Tarantulas and scorpions only appeared extremely infrequently at night (in fact, most of the times you got stung before you could even react and get the net out) so you would pass out and reappear at the door of your house. Bees appear when shaking trees for stuff.
Ah, I probably didn't play much at night then... glad they kept those in then regardless. I wouldn't mind even more hostile bugs and tiny animals.

The thing I'm most intrigued about is the other "distant islands" Mystery Tours.
  • Finding a villager on the island
  • Getting resources
  • Finding special occurrences (The group of hittable money rocks for example)
  • Are there certain resources or flora that can only be found (Naturally) on distant islands? (Maybe naturally occurring special flower types/colors)
  • Are there certain characters that can be found on distant islands?
  • Since this is a function that you may want to do forever, there must be some constant way to get Nook Miles to buy the tickets, even in the lategame
  • Is this a quick(?) and reliable way to get foreign fruit for your island?
tl;dr: What do the distant islands have naturally and is any of it exclusive. I'm kind of hoping it's not just "extra resources at random", although that's already a pretty interesting mechanic.

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, I probably didn't play much at night then... glad they kept those in then regardless. I wouldn't mind even more hostile bugs and tiny animals.

The thing I'm most intrigued about is the other "distant islands" Mystery Tours.
  • Finding a villager on the island
  • Getting resources
  • Finding special occurrences (The group of hittable money rocks for example)
  • Are there certain resources or flora that can only be found (Naturally) on distant islands? (Maybe naturally occurring special flower types/colors)
  • Are there certain characters that can be found on distant islands?
  • Since this is a function that you may want to do forever, there must be some constant way to get Nook Miles to buy the tickets, even in the lategame
  • Is this a quick(?) and reliable way to get foreign fruit for your island?
tl;dr: What do the distant islands have naturally and is any of it exclusive. I'm kind of hoping it's not just "extra resources at random", although that's already a pretty interesting mechanic.

I think the quickest way to get foreign fruit will still be with friends (that is, if you play online). But only because you need to fulfill Nook Miles in order to get Nook Tickets for those tours. Maybe if you get all Miles done, it'll eventually just let you go with like a special pass or something.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
The islands you can travel to remind me the resource islands from Dragon Quest Builders 2

Basically just areas with renewable resources for when your "home" base is running low on resources or you don't want to get anything else from your home

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My account is still on my switch. I made my sons switch primary so he can take it in the car and stuff and not require internet. Anytime I boot up an Eshop game it does an online check first on my switch

Sweet, sweet. I have a hefty hotspot amount so going online if I'm ever outside the house won't be an issue.

Do you have any issues with cloud saves overwriting each other, or is it that easy to avoid?

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
It hurts my soul that we see cakes, drinks, pizza ovens and so on and yet likely can't cook.

Cooking would be cool but I feel like there would be a gameplay reason for it - and I really don't want a hunger/thirst meter lol. But yeah with all the equipment and actual food around it will be odd if we can't cook

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Oh my gooohhhhhd! You can edit your rivers!!! I have never had a town where I was happy with the rivers and they went and let us change them as we see fit!

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
My take away from this is that you can change the landscape of your island. That's pretty cool. Otherwise, it's basically the same game I've been playing since the GameCube. It would be cool to see big exciting changes like the above.

The aquarium looked impressive from a visual perspective.

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen a bunch of people looking for Animal Crossing amiibo cards & figures on Facebook since the Direct aired.

Prices will likely go up pretty soon..!