• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The video says they'll be a service if you have a corrupt file or a lost switch to transfer it.

I want to transfer my file regardless if my switch is broken or not.

ERO4y42UEAEQphf.jpeg

Whatislove

Jan 2, 2019
Wasn't able to watch the direct yet since I've been at work, but can you move people's houses via terraforming? Ideally I'd like to be able to exile undesirables to remote locales.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
How would this game be for a first time player do you guys think?

Honestly perfect from the look of things. It seems to be set up to ease in mechanics over time, rather than dumping it all on you at once, so by the time things like shops and putting down paths etc. come up you'll be more than familiar enough with the basics.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly perfect from the look of things. It seems to be set up to ease in mechanics over time, rather than dumping it all on you at once, so by the time things like shops and putting down paths etc. come up you'll be more than familiar enough with the basics.

If anything, if you're a newbie it would possibly feel like the game is "too" restrictive and doesn't let you do enough stuff because the first instinct would be immediately grinding for materials/bells/tools, but instead it's better to play in short 20 minute bursts

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Looks great and I'm so excited... BUT, man is it not the same thing. I was hoping for a couple big advancements, the biggest seems to be the ability to effect the landscape and outdoor decorations. Just wish there was something like farming or mining ect. to change it up a tadddd...

Still ultra excited for it though. Can't figure out if its better to play in separate islands or share an island with SO...

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What kind of things were you hoping to change/be added? They've done quite a lot. I was personally hoping for some light farming and cooking elements, but otherwise I'm quite impressed.
Basically I wanted more involved tasks, such as cooking and farming, which I guess might still be in and we might not know about it, but yah. I wanted a range of activities and flexibility closer to Stardew or even old-school HM games, but in an AC veneer.
What else could they have done? They already changed the core gameplay loop (crafting), the progression (deserted island), the customization (changing the landscape, outside furniture, placement of buildings), and greatly improved the quality of life (storage systems, limitations, menus)
I can't even think of anything else right now
See above. More, better activities. Larger town -- i'm not buying the size of the "island" and it feeling lively.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
So is it save to say the game only runs in 30fps? :(

Yes, a game like AC doesn't *need* 60fps, but it simply feels, looks and controls so much nicer.

All this jittering in the direct looks horrible. Look at how smooth Rune Factory 4 on Switch looks.

Last edited:

Vitor

Oct 30, 2017
Vitor That would be cool, I'm just wondering if you can build a cliff ontop of another cliff. I'd be surprised if you could, imagine all the elevations...

The maps show three levels of terrain, light green, green and dark green:

XSMxBqD.png

And you can see a cliff on top of a cliff here:

Mg4VH97.png

Wonder if you can make an elevation on the edge of a cliff, making it twice as high? Doubt it, but it'd be great.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I have just finished to watch the Direct. This game seems really packed with features, but I am still undecided about getting it. I fear that it is a game I should play everyday, for a long period, while recently I am playing no more than 1 hour per day so it would be a bit difficult, if I would like to play other games at the same time. I think the decision will depend on the games which will be announced in the General Direct.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
The maps show three levels of terrain, light green, green and dark green:

XSMxBqD.png

And you can see a cliff on top of a cliff here:

Mg4VH97.png

Wonder if you can make an elevation on the edge of a cliff, making it twice as high? Doubt it, but it'd be great.
Oh, I somehow didn't noticed that! 3 levels of terrain suits me well. I can't wait to see what the more creative folks does when the game is released. There will be tons of must-see islands I bet.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not gonna watch this Direct, but someone please tell me: what's happened to my girl Joan? Is she really dead??

I don't think I can handle this.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Random question: Did New Leaf have these little notebooks that you could buy? Like, in the GameCube game you could get a notebook that functioned as a calendar, and you could write notes in it and stuff.

A few days ago I decided to visit my GameCube village, Onett, for the first time in about five years, and discovered my in-game diary that I kept in one of those notebooks. It was a ton of fun to read what I had written about major events, and now I feel like doing the same thing in New Horizons, if possible.

eoinmoners

Oct 1, 2018
Just finished watching and I in am two very distinct minds about it. Hope someone can help me...

I played and LOVED The Sims (1) and Stardew Valley on their respective launches at their respective moments in time. What I loved was the freedom to do whatever I wanted, not check in everyday, and control every aspect.

This looks like...not that?

What is Animal Crossing exactly? Does it require constant attention? Are there microtransactions etc??

I looks similar to what I want but also the questions above show what I definitely don't want. I don't want a lifestyle. I want a lifestyle sim!

Oct 27, 2017
After re-watching the Direct, I've decided to write down the things that I love, don't really mind, dislike about New Horizons, as well as things I've noticed. If anyone cares to read, here goes:

Love:
  • Graphics. Just WOW. They look so gooooood.
  • Clothing, hairstyles and skin color! They've really done it. I love all of what I've seen (p.s. that dress at 10:35 is gorgeous).
  • Theme song: incredibly AC-like and relaxing. Very on-tune with the whole island theme.
  • Choosing your hemisphere! Finally.
  • Weather and seasons. It just looks so good. I absolutely ADORE the fact that there's a transition now between seasons, so you'll see the grass change slowly. I wonder how much time is there dedicated for transition, like a week or two before switching seasons, maybe?
  • I also really like the clutter of leaves. I like that there are still, very specific activities tied to specific seasons: like cherry blossoms, snowflakes, autumn leaves, building snow people. I also noticed that when she mentions that activities change according to the season, there's a villager sunbathing. Could that be maybe a summer-specific activity? Can we get a tan again?
  • I really like the Orientation Camp.
  • I dig the fact that we need to "learn" crafting recipes. And I love crafting! It'll make the game more challenging, for sure. But I also like knowing that we can buy stuff, regardless, and we're not pressured into only being able to craft them.
  • I like being able to edit furniture willingly. I'm probably not gonna use this a lot, but I love the detail of this tool (like even editing mugs!).
  • I LOVE how facilities look inside: the airport is so cozy and I really like Orville and Willbur, the dodo. I'm also glad letters/postcards are back and that we can still send things for our villagers. I wonder if we'll still be able to do that for our friends in other islands? The museum looks absolutely NUTS. I mean, I was blown away. I love that Nook's cranny is back (I was afraid we'd miss it now that Nook is in charge of the island) and Able sisters' store looks so cute and cozy (and finally, a dressing room!). I've noticed the cabinet inside Nook's Cranny has flowers/saplings. I wonder if that means the Sloth villager is gone with his garden shop (18:20). I'm also glad the main town hall building is back with the flag! I wonder what Island evaluation means. Is it how villagers perceive the island?
  • I love the Nook phone! Nooks miles is a great addition, because it will most likely keep you busy at the beginning of the game. Also it looks like it has TWO pages, so we might get even more apps than the ones shown.
  • I like the announcements. This makes me think that maybe there will be more activities going on, and perhaps more activities to include your villagers.
  • I LOVE the new items we can hold! The fan great for summer and the star rod!
  • I'm so glad bees/wasps and scorpions are back and can actually hurt you, and the fact you can get medicine again (which probably means, villagers will most likely also need medicine at some point, like previous games).
  • WISP!!! Gulliver! I'm so glad their back!
  • I'm loving the idea of keeping the island simple or going for extras and expanding. I love that we have that possibility because it allows players to play however they choose to. If you want a quiet island with just a few villagers, so be it. If you want to build an actual town, with shops and a museum, go for it! If you want something in between, the choice is yours!
  • Decoration. Oh. My. God. I love how easier they've made it but also allowing you to still decorate as before.
  • I really like tours. I wonder the magnitude of island we'll visit. They emphasize them being 'small', but will there be a catch? Any weird, special islands we visit?
  • Definitely like that we can choose where to place our villagers! I wonder how many villager we'll be able to host in one island. I've seen pictures online of up to 8 villagers at an inauguration of a bridge, but I wonder if that's the limit. I'm hoping for at least 10.
  • You can fucking relocate your house!!!!
  • I love seeing familiar faces again, but I wonder what comes out of visits like Celeste. Will she be able to come to your island with an observatory?
  • Okay, I might be freaking out but is it weird that the gorilla at (20:44) is doing exercises/aerobics with a very noticeable jumpsuit meant to be used in a gym and then she's wearing a completely different outfit but chilling eating.
  • Cute animals chatting again <3
  • Birthday celebrations with your villagers is back! I wonder if this means we'll also get invited to parties (which I hope are more parties, than 1-2 guests invited).
Don't mind
  • Often, I feel the island might seem a bit TOO cluttered, but I guess that depends on whether the island is too small or whether you want to drop a bunch of items there.
  • While I like the idea of postcards in the airport, I do hope we'll get a proper post office!
  • There's a lot of music I don't really love nor hate.
Dislike
  • Flick. I'd much rather have Nat return. He was a very cool character. I do hope we see him again at some point.
  • I don't know how I feel about Resetti's new job, because we've been shown so little of it. But what I've seen so far, I don't really like it very well. We don't even SEE Resetti or his brother.
  • I hate the music at 5:16
Things I've noticed and things I'm still unaware of:
  • Nook drinking a can of soda (13:16)
  • Fishing rod standing on its own (21:00). Maybe you can set a rod like that and check later if you've catched anything?
  • Timmy and Tommy can use umbrellas/parasols (16:01)
  • I've more or less liked what I've seen on animal interactions. I do like what I've seen about dialogue, its still pretty funny and I like that there's more options in dialogue from what I've seen. Also, I do like the fact that animals can sit, eat, do aerobics, etc. I do HOPE they're even more involved in activities. I need to check out more of villagers to make up my mind on whether I like them or not in this game.

EDIT: I don't know, since they haven't confirmed this yet, but if chat is limited to the app, I'll fucking HATE that. I like chatting in game without the need of a fucking app.

Last edited:

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished watching and I am two very distinct minds. Hope someone can help me...

I played and LOVED The Sims (1) and Stardew Valley on their respective launches at their respective moments in time. What I loved was the freedom to do whatever I wanted, not check in everyday, and control every aspect.

What is Animal Crossing exactly? Does it require constant attention? Are the microtransactions etc??

This is a completely different thing to the sims, and probably more similar to stardew valley but lighter in "game" stuff and heavier in real world time interactions, since it works in real life time. There are no fail states and you just pretty much do what's been shown in the Direct at your own pace: grind materials for crafting stuff, decorating, home improvement, fishing and hunting insects for the museum, interacting with the animal neighbours...

Dalto11

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be interested to see if they leave in time travelling. Given their inclusion of it on New Leaf and their efforts to give players total control via optional features, I am hopeful it will remain. Either way I'm sure I can just move my Switch clock forward if need be. Thrilled to see all of the optional bits for control over island layout and villagers. It's definitely good that they're giving us the options to just carry on a life with minimal influence on everything if we want, or complete control over literally everything. New Leaf gave me a lot of what I wanted after playing the original and Wild World/City Folk. But this is definitely everything I wanted in terms of options. I cannot wait to make a lovely river filled island full of trees. It's going to be a bug and fish catching paradise with modern conveniences. March 20th can't get here soon enough.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Looks great and I'm so excited... BUT, man is it not the same thing. I was hoping for a couple big advancements, the biggest seems to be the ability to effect the landscape and outdoor decorations. Just wish there was something like farming or mining ect. to change it up a tadddd...

Still ultra excited for it though. Can't figure out if its better to play in separate islands or share an island with SO...

Honestly I've wanted outdoor furniture forever, so it alone has me absolutely pumped.

eoinmoners

Oct 1, 2018
This is a completely different thing to the sims, and probably more similar to stardew valley but lighter in "game" stuff and heavier in real world time interactions, since it works in real life time. There are no fail states and you just pretty much do what's been shown in the Direct at your own pace: grind materials for crafting stuff, decorating, home improvement, fishing and hunting insects for the museum, interacting with the animal neighbours...

This clarifies things a lot, thanks! I probably want in...just real life gets in the way of some things haha

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
I'm about to fly out to Japan Nintendo headquarters and demand some real goddamn explanation about this blatant erasure of Reese & Cyrus, my beloved alpacas have truly been done dirty, and as a Reese stan, I'm currently reconsidering my pre-order while being curled up on the floor crying 😭

Wait, what?! Did they seriously remove alpacas? I'm at work and can't verify this.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Just finished watching and I am two very distinct minds. Hope someone can help me...

What is Animal Crossing exactly? Does it require constant attention? Are the microtranactions etc??
Past games somewhat required more constant attention. Spending too long away from the game would result in your flowers dying, weeds would pop up everywhere and villagers would leave town. The last game introduced new features to mitigate the latter two, ensuring your flowers didn't die and weeds didn't take over. It's still designed for you to check in somewhat regularly, but you don't need to.

There are no microtransactions. And in terms of control you now have more control than ever before in the series in choosing where everything goes and how your town progresses. Much to the dismay of some older fans.

The game is meant to just be a kind of home away from home. You pop in every day or every few days, especially stop by during major holidays like Halloween or Christmas. Go fishing, catch bugs, cultivate rare flowers and harvest fruits to make money to buy new clothes and furniture for your home and town. You can interact with the other villagers. There's no real goal save for paying off your Debts to Tom Nook so you can expand your home more and unlock new shops. But overall it's way more relaxed than the Sims or Stardew where you really have to keep on top of everything and manage resources and time.

Despite running in realtime the game is quite chill. It gives you lots of reasons to regularly come back and check-in on things, but you shouldn't feel obligated to do so every single day or even week.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
Anyone else bothered by the fact that it looks like the game will stop you mid play to announce every time a multiplayer guest shows up? I was hoping they'd make it more seamless.

Can't wait for my game to stop 7 times in a row for 8 people to join.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Just finished watching and I in am two very distinct minds about it. Hope someone can help me...

What is Animal Crossing exactly? Does it require constant attention? Are the microtransactions etc??

I looks similar to what I want but also the questions above show what I definitely don't want. I don't want a lifestyle. I want a lifestyle sim!
You play on a day to day basis, unlike Sims and Stardew Valley. Animal Crossing use the real clock. One minute in real life is one minute in the game.
It's a life simulation, with no main goal other than just customize your town and house the way you want.
Other than that, you just chill with the animals, collect some fish, bugs, fossils and paintings for the museum, sell what you find... It's just a chill game.
It doesn't need constant attention, but it is designed so that you play a bit each day. If you don't want to just take some time to chill and fish more than usual, you'll play between 30 minutes and 1 hour each day to do your daily tasks (collecting all the fossiles, saying hello to every villager, etc...).

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
terrain levels is a game changer
the towns they showed in the video were so beautiful
i feel like previous games didnt really encourage making paths enough

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
So I asked during the Direct, but the post got flooded by the Isabelle hype, so I'll ask again.

Is it possible to "share" one island together with online friends or does this only work with local accounts on a single console? If that is possible, I'll get it. Having one island together to work on would be so much more fun for me.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
At first I thought there were no bells and it was just nook miles. Work for nook miles, then tom nook decides what you get for your work. I was like have we finally switched from Capitalism to Communism? Will our nook rulers give us all equal and sufficient goods for our nook mile quests? Animal Crossing? More like Animal Farm!

then i saw bells and was glad because idk how communism works.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
So I asked during the Direct, but the post got flooded by the Isabelle hype, so I'll ask again.

Is it possible to "share" one island together with online friends or does this only work with local accounts on a single console? If that is possible, I'll get it. Having one island together to work on would be so much more fun for me.
No. Islands are linked and only available on that one system. You can have people visit your island via online when you're playing, but you can't share a single island over the internet between two people as their combined town. Each person will have their own island on their separate system and can visit each other's island.

Chaos17

Oct 27, 2017
France

What is Animal Crossing exactly? Does it require constant attention? Are there microtransactions etc??

I would say that Stardew Valley is closer to Animal crossing concept since there is a lot of crafting you will be able to do except that it will not be restricted to your house. You will be able to customize the look of the whole village!
You can also build friendship with villagers like in Stardew Valley but there is 0 romance or character development. Just fluff.
You don't need to play every day and there is no Micro-transaction.

The collecting aspect is same in both game.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I really love the way this looks. Having been playing NL on 3DS recently, it's like generations better, but keeping the pleasant and relaxing aesthetic. One month!!

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
No. Islands are linked and only available on that one system. You can have people visit your island via online when you're playing, but you can't share a single island over the internet between two people as their combined town. Each person will have their own island on their separate system and can visit each other's island.
So it's basically just like before.

Meeehhh... :/

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
So if I buy it digital, my account is also on my sons switch, if he plays it under his account we could play at the same time right?
Not in the same town. You should be able to play in separate towns simultaneously and visit each others towns

To clarify you only have one Switch, yes? Your son's? I wasn't clear if you were saying you have yours and your sons, but you ALSO have an account on your son's. Reason I ask is because my understanding with this AC is that there is only one Island per Switch. If you login on your account, you are your character on this island. If your son uses his account he is on his character but that same island.

So essentially, everyone shares the same island and changes made by your son, will also be visible when you then use your character. My understanding is that you CAN play together on that one singular island though, yes. You just can't each have your own islands/towns.

Unless I am missing something, and I would very much like to be as that means my 16 year old and I that also share the Switch will be in the same boat.