• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019

Chorazin

Nov 13, 2017
Lancaster County, PA, USA
this is how i feel. but it's difficult to talk about how animal crossing has changed (not for better or worse! just changed!) without getting told you are an idiot and go play a different game and you don't understand what REAL fans want

like the core gameplay loop of animal crossing is just very different in this game. you are no longer a dude living in a small town that existed before you were there and that will exist after you leave. it's about creating a town from the ground up, exactly to your liking, and customising the very small details of said town.

this will absolutely thrill a lot of people but it's just quite a big change from the original games that i'm only 99.99% on board for. pls dont crucify me.

This is exactly how I feel. Being the new person in a small town with people already there that feels lived in, and then making it better, is what always drew me to AC.

I think the new stuff is interesting and I'm not freaking out about it, but I am worried the customization will overwhelm me to the point of inaction like some open world games do.

Bend

Oct 27, 2017
Did they show skin color options? I know they added it, but I need to show my fiancee to ease her worries. In new leaf she used to leave her character out on the island to tan, I always felt bad

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Wait a minute.

Did I got this right? Everything in part 2 is "upcoming" and "in development"? So shops!, events, museum, any big town houses etc. Are all not in the game base?

Holy shit, we seriously really are just buying an "early access" version in March. Kinda shocked about that. Everything in part 2 should already be there and not something to get exiting for in the future.

I mean, in the end it doesn't matter much cause we will all play for weeks or more until we would get to the "normal" city part from previous games, but still, that's nothing you should proudly advertise tho......

Edit:

Misunderstood, thanks for the clarification. :)

Last edited:

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
thumbnail-acnh-explore-decorating-5-2x.jpg

finally, human sacrifices to moloch

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Oct 26, 2017
Wait a minute.

Did I got this right? Everything in part 2 is "upcoming" and "in development"? So shops!, events, museum, any big town houses etc. Are all not in the game base?

Holy shit, we seriously really are just buying an "early access" version in March. Kinda shocked about that. Everything in part 2 should already be there and not something to get exiting for in the future.

I mean, in the end it doesn't matter much cause we will all play for weeks or more until we would get to the "normal" city part from previous games, but still, that's nothing you should proudly advertise tho......
It's in the game, but you have to unlock it... like every game before it.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Wait a minute.

It is in the game, it'll gradually unlock when playing the game.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
Wait a minute.

You got this wrong, when your island expands shops, etc will be coming onto the island. It's already in game but you don't start the game with everything like before.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Wait a minute.

The whole point of the game is that it's a deserted island, and you have to build them. They're not on the island to begin with, but they're in the "base game." You just have to build them. Please pay attention.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Wait a minute.

That is supposed to mean that the island is in development. Not the features.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
This is exactly how I feel. Being the new person in a small town with people already there that feels lived in, and then making it better, is what always drew me to AC.

I think the new stuff is interesting and I'm not freaking out about it, but I am worried the customization will overwhelm me to the point of inaction like some open world games do.
Yeah, I'm feeling like this too. There's just this thing where you COULD avoid all the customization and just play it like the old ones. Man, Wild World days were amazing. Animals already know each other, you arrive in the middle of everything and create friendships... I still have hope for this game !

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Take a shot of Brewster's Espresso every time they said "Deserted Island"
giphy.gif

Well, yep, it's animal crossing, at least the customisation stuff is on point, I couldn't even get the public works to happen in new leaf because, well no characters ever mentioned them.
So I'm glad they're finally just allowing pure customisation and such.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Ok I need to get this off my chest, take the reactionary punches that follows and then I'm done here.

HUGE AC fan here, easily my favorite Nintendo DS and Nintendo 3DS titles and I have limited experience with the home-console games. What drew me in was just the vibe. It's as simple as that, but what kept me was the charming design, of having random seeds which breeds "unique per player" content, and makes it really satisfying once you burnt out after 3 months on your village, constructions and management to say "Ok I'm gonna do-over it all, give me a new seed and a clean town!" and the joy of being in those 3-month sprints where I actually played it was all about the lived-in feeling. It would update my calendar spontaneously (even if it's all pre-planned systematically) and I would "log-in" every day and be surprised there was almost always something new happening. That hasn't changed but the rest of the experience has... and I can already tell it won't improve what I think makes the games work.

What makes it all work is the subtle and "hidden" nature of the way the games are systematized. It's the random terrain and town seeds, pattern generation, face generation, who comes and goes.

They literally took everything that used to be a reactive and organic element of the game engine and said "HERE YOU GO, PLAYER! YOU CAN CHEAT NOW." and we just get to decide literally every thing right down to almost stats that determine what is in your world. This is a cop out. Almost none of these things are actually new features to the game or its engine, they just give you the keys to them. I was already a bit leery about the Mayor thing in NL but it was a nice balance between the generated and the player-driven content. This is like 100% more player-driven and it takes out too much of what made AC stand out from any other "SIM" franchise.

Very, very disappointed right now. It's like "Animal Crossing: Materialist Edition".

Really debating whether I am getting it day 1 now. I hope they mitigate this lameness via good post-launch support so there's still a sense of an immersive and ever-growing world that changes with the clock.
Feel the same way about a lot of these points, but to a much lesser degree. The experience of playing the first game kinda exemplifies my attitude towards this: the segmented, acre-by-acre camera in that game is by far my favorite, for instance. But I'll always prefer the modern camera setup going forward, not because it's "better," but because it's more convenient and accessible, and I've already had that initinal experimental experience already.

And this is kind of how I feel about everything in regards to that first game. It was so new and mysterious and it felt like you could still hypothetically run into something you'd never seen before even after 100 hours of the same repetitive daily cycle. But I don't think you can really recapture that magic anymore. The games have been great since then but that same initial feeling of discovery never quite came back.

Like city folk kind of did nothing for me despite having a lot of the stuff that makes AC good, because it had no ambition beyond that. So imo all you can really do is expand options, impart more player agency, and smooth out gameplay wrinkles, even if you start to erode aspects that initially made the series so special. The aesthetic experience of playing an animal crossing game is so strong, afterall, that I feel like it can carry a title no matter how far we stray.

By no means is this always the answer--intentional incovenience is a massive part of game design--but animal crossing's approach to streamlining has always been very sensible in the past so I'm willing to give NH the benefit of the doubt in the same way I did for the mayor stuff in NL, which mostly payed off for me.

One thing I will say I 100% regret losing is this sense of immersing yourself into a new community though. By making you the mayor, or in this case the effective diety of an island cult, the power dynamic between you and the villagers is way off. I guess this is kind of impossible to rectify with the addition of more player agency, unfortunately

Never played Animal Crossing before, which is why I have a question for you guys. Can I upgrade other villager's tents so that it will actually look like a little village some day or just my own tent? Or do villagers upgrade their tents on their own?

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hope the police station is still in.
Gonna be hilarious to see the once-bargain-binned Amiibo figures suddenly get stupid expensive on eBay.
I bought the whole set* on firesale for like $3 each back then. WHO'S LAUGHING NOW

*This of course excludes the Smash series AC amiibos, which are still pricey.

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
Feel the same way about a lot of these points, but to a much lesser degree. The experience of playing the first game kinda exemplifies my attitude towards this: the segmented, acre-by-acre camera in that game is by far my favorite, for instance. But I'll always prefer the modern camera setup going forward, not because it's "better," but because it's more convenient and accessible, and I've already had that initinal experimental experience already.

And this is kind of how I feel about everything in regards to that first game. It was so new and mysterious and it felt like you could still hypothetically run into something you'd never seen before even after 100 hours of the same repetitive daily cycle. But I don't think you can really recapture that magic anymore. The games have been great since then but that same initial feeling of discovery never quite came back.

Like city folk kind of did nothing for me despite having a lot of the stuff that makes AC good, because it had no ambition beyond that. So imo all you can really do is expand options, impart more player agency, and smooth out gameplay wrinkles, even if you start to erode aspects that initially made the series so special. The aesthetic experience of playing an animal crossing game is so strong, afterall, that I feel like it can carry a title no matter how far we stray.

By no means is this always the answer--intentional incovenience is a massive part of game design--but animal crossing's approach to streamlining has always been very sensible in the past so I'm willing to give NH the benefit of the doubt in the same way I did for the mayor stuff in NL, which mostly payed off for me.

One thing I will say I 100% regret losing is this sense of immersing yourself into a new community though. By making you the mayor, or in this case the effective diety of an island cult, the power dynamic between you and the villagers is way off. I guess this is kind of impossible to rectify with the addition of more player agency, unfortunately

this is exactly how i feel, except i was finding it hard to put my thoughts into words. thank you for writing this up.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
i feel like there's more than a few people that didn't get that the direct was talking about game features not dlc... lmao

Yeah, lol.. it was an odd way to go about things. I see what they tried to do in relegating all of the "real-world" stuff into the final FAQ section, but the middle section was muddled with both kinds of language (eg. unlockable game features vs the NSO app launching sometime after launch).

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
Never played Animal Crossing before, which is why I have a question for you guys. Can I upgrade other villager's tents so that it will actually look like a little village some day or just my own tent? Or do villagers upgrade their tents on their own?

We, the player, are the only one who gotta worry about getting Bells to upgrade.

Villagers go from tent to house within a day or so lol

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So there are a few "big" characters we haven't seen yet, right?
  • Resetti
  • Brewster
  • Joan
Resetti is handling the Emergency Rescue feature, though I don't understand why it exists. Maybe he'll have his normal job too

There are something like 20 npcs who are unaccounted for so far

Lyle, Lottie, Digby, Joan, Brewster, Phineas, Gracie Grace, Crazy Redd, Katrina, Wendell, Luna, Katie and Kaitlin, Blanca, Rover, K.K. Slider, Harriet, all the OK motors guys, Dr. Shrunk, Cooper and Booker, Pete, Pelly, and Phyllis, Leif, all the kappas, Tortimer, Porter, etc.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
You can expand the inventory? I remember reading backpacks were speculated but he doesn't have a backpack.

Also where are you all getting these new screens with hidden details?

This one I found on Discord. All others are from the official AC site.