• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
It looks phenomenal -- can't wait to get started playing. Concerned about the transfer to a new system -- a little surprised they didn't touch on it during the FAQ portion, but hopefully they continue to expand the cloud storage capability.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
I don't know how people can be against a terraforming option in a series where people notoriously re-roll their island terrain before they start to get one they like...

Oct 31, 2017
lol Animal Crossing with actual voice speaking from the animals would be god awful and diminish the charm by like 80% in an instant.
Isn't it weird how when Nintendo has done this people act like it was always a technical limitation before and now they haven't "caught up with the times", than it simply being an artistic decision? And yes, with real voices that would turn out so lame.

Fumpster

Nov 4, 2017
People don't know what they want.

But I what I know I don't want is this. I'm not playing this to decide everything.

I'm so fucking bummed right now...

I think a lot of people probably know what they want. I've been waiting for full town customization like this since the series' inception and I felt like the games were getting stale and not progressing enough until now.

Game looks dope and finally giving me enough juice to where I can see myself playing for a loooong time.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I mean if you don't want to just you know, voice act the lines....

You could record mini snippets like "Hey there!" and such and not have the stupid mumble noise over every word. It just sounds bad and despite all the fan boys in this thread I'm not alone in hating it.

If you like it, that's cool it's just an opinion. Maybe tone down the passive aggressive bullshit posts like this one. Or don't.
I'm pretty sure every AC game lets you switch from the animal babbles to like normal text box sounds if you want to. The game already lets you fix your problem with it, we don't need voice acting.

KendoClub

Oct 27, 2017
Im a little confused, can 8 players with separate switches live on the same island, or just 8 from a local switch?

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Only thing I didn't like about the presentation was that we don't start off with the museum. I guess I can make a temporary one?

I'm also curious about the holiday free updates. I can't tell if they're doing it this way because they didn't have time to complete them before launch OR they want them to be done server side so no one can time travel and get to them early. I would hope, game preservation-wise, if it's the latter they do a fix after each has been out once to ensure you don't need an internet connection to get them in the future.

So, a thought about the progression mechanics, and the ever-present Animal Crossing villain: Tom Nook, Debt Collector.

Early on it's mentioned that you can pay off your holiday package with NookMiles, and early on in this thread people seemed to be wondering if that had replaced the usual debt mechanics. However, then later, we do get the reveal that you can upgrade to a house (and then further to larger houses) in very much the traditional manner using Bells.

The latter mechanics are already very much familiar with us, but I'm very curious about the structure behind "pay off your package using NookMiles". I'm wondering if progression on that front is what leads to the new businesses and buildings arriving, or if possibly the house progression is gated behind the package payment progression, so you have to engage with a bunch of activities before you can delve into the full-on financial nightmare.

My impression was that in order to give players something 'concrete' to work on, Nook Miles is a separate set of tasks for people who want a more game-like progression instead of 'enjoy living on this island.' When you completely pay it off, you can use extra miles for unique 'post-game' goods, with the hope that at that point you have already gotten hooked on the core game and don't need the gamified incentive anymore.

I wouldn't be surprised if miles did gate off certain other things, but I don't think that's the main intent.

Chaos17

Oct 27, 2017
France
EROetU6WkAAfQVX

RIP my Bells/wallet.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I'm so divided between playing New Leaf or another game entirely while I wait for this. I need my AC fix but I don't want to burn out

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i actually have a way bigger issue with them not letting holidays just be a thing already baked into the game. let me skip my way to christmas or halloween if i want. i dont have good internet on my switch 90% of the time. thats more irritating than optional, late-game terraforming tools.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Im a little confused, can 8 players with separate switches live on the same island, or just 8 from a local switch?
Local only, with up to 4 players who live in that town playing together on a single Switch, with up to 8 players living on the island. And then up to 8 players can visit a town via Local wireless or via the Internet from their own system/town.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017

8 players can live on one island together on the same Switch. Local co-op with Joy-Cons only allows 4 of them to play at the same time, with 3 only playing as "followers" and one being the leader at any time.
You can also have 8 players play together on one island through local or online coop where each player has their own switch.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure every AC game lets you switch from the animal babbles to like normal text box sounds if you want to. The game already lets you fix your problem with it, we don't need voice acting.

Such a weird take. I can't think of a single game that wasn't made better with good voice acting.

If you think it wouldn't be possible that's fine and I can see that I guess. Or if you think it would be done badly, again fine bad voice acting is bad. But just "I don't want voice acting" is an odd take.

cyappu

Jun 4, 2019
Great direct overall!!
At this point my only worry is that the villagers will continue the trend of having less and less personality in each game, but that's not enough to change my mind about getting it Day One.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
8 players refers to online guests, 4 players can live on one island together locally (=same Switch).
No that's wrong, 8 people can live on a single island, which is new for this game after always being 4 in past games, however only 4 players can play together at the same time

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Such a weird take. I can't think of a single game that wasn't made better with good voice acting.

If you think it wouldn't be possible that's fine and I can see that I guess. Or if you think it would be done badly, again fine bad voice acting is bad. But just "I don't want voice acting" is an odd take.
It's really not, the game doesn't need it and I honestly don't think it would be made better by it

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
i actually have a way bigger issue with them not letting holidays just be a thing already baked into the game. let me skip my way to christmas or halloween if i want. i dont have good internet on my switch 90% of the time.
It probably wasn't ready for launch day. The game already was delayed once, they prefered to put all ressources on everything that should be there day one, and add holidays that will come later in the year as free update later.
Not ideal, but it seems it was a choice they made based on ressources available for a launch on the date that was announced.

mk_68

Banned
Feb 3, 2020
I will say, much as I don't like the access to changing rivers and geomitry stuff I am glad it's an endgame feature. It might tie back into the example I keep using of getting burnt out after 3 months and then having that "Oh this is so new again!" feeling, and it might actually mean Nintendo thought of it the same way.
Well this is how I feel. After a couple months I get pretty board with the layout of the island. This feature allows me to seemingly completely upend it into something different. I'm not the most creative person so this will overwhelm me, but I'll enjoy a refreshing look.

Same thing if I stop playing for a bit and come back. I can change the island up and it'll retain my attention for longer than it would if it was the same. As someone who's played this series for a good 12 years or so...coming back to the same island is always a drag.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Each switch as one island. Each account on the switch can create a villager on the island, up to 8. As for multiplayer, 4 players can play locally, or you can invite up to 8 to play online on your island.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Hating on animalese now?

First Twinbee and now this!?

This has been a bad week for Era takes.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I know the Direct was spoken as 'Nook Inc.' and not Nintendo, but all the 'We have plans to add' sounded like Nintendo will be adding stuff like the Museum in updates.
I don't think so -- this was definitely presented solely as an advertisement from Nook Inc. The impression I got was that they were saying as you progress and get beyond a tent that more and more features will be built on the island since it will no longer be a deserted one.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
all of my worries disappeared thanks to this Direct, it actually looks like everything I wanted New Leaf to be

I just hope there are a few more interesting ways to get Bells than turnips and fishing. Going to the different islands seems like a solid start.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York

Instead of

"Hello Ned! Can you deliver this Crucian Carp to Bunny? Skiddo-doo!"

It would be

"Hello player! Can you deliver this_____Crucian Carp____ to ____ Bunny_____?" with no customizable catch phrase at the end

Awkward pauses to wait for generic stock lines and no ability to customize anything

It'd be really robotic

Nov 8, 2017
Played every Animal Crossing and am sort of 'over it' with AC...

But this. It feels like they've actually learned and evolved the game!

SO IN!