• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So for someone that buys the game and never connects to the internet, they won't have holidays ok their island? Are we also assuming that once you download the update for a given holiday, it will also continue to loop for each subsequent year?
Yes I'm sure they're just not including the holidays in the base game. They're smart enough to know that people will datamine the hell out of this game so why include something on the cartridge when you can just add it later?

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Wow, that museum was incredible! And the home decorating! And the island renovation!

This is gonna be the ultimate AC experience.
Exactly my thoughts. Those were 3 Of the biggest takeaways from me. My absolute favorite addition is the ability to place where future islanders go. Now I can make an actually community, designated park space, retail core, etc without fear of an islander ruining my setup.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
Crafting your own waterfalls sounds huge to me. I missed having varied terrain in New Leaf.

I'm still not a fan of this cloud save support, especially that they couldn't have it implemented day one. To a certain extent, I can understand not transferring whole islands to duplicate items, but when there's just my account on my Switch and I want to upgrade to a Pro somewhere down the line, I really don't want nor need two separate consoles just to play my full library.

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I couldn't watch due to work :(

can someone summarise pls, i'm a major AC nut and it's annoying that I missed it :(

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Terraforming is a megaton, while I'm excited to dive into it I can't wait to see what players around the world will do with that. Expecting a bunch of "must see" island over time.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Economy in a non competitive game? Who gives a damn. Nintendo just can't figure out basic stuff that has been in consoles for 15 years.
Yeah, I was mocking that mindset. Its really stupid and overzealous when there will more than likely still be glaring exploits eventually. This decision is complete ass.

Olinad

Oct 30, 2017
That looks like Animal Crossing to me.
Which is ok, just kinda samey for being the 5th game. Very incremental.

It's safe but it will sell gangbusters, and I'll likely get it at launch anyways... But I'm not that excited lol

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
If I can't transfer my game to a new system then I'm going to wait. I definitely think I'll be upgrading within a year.

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome. New Horizons looks nice and relaxing... except for the anxiety it will induce in the time before their stupid ass backup option is available.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I'm about to fly out to Japan Nintendo headquarters and demand some real goddamn explanation about this blatant erasure of Reese & Cyrus, my beloved alpacas have truly been done dirty, and as a Reese stan, I'm currently reconsidering my pre-order while being curled up on the floor crying 😭

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Can we have an OP update with a summary for those who missed it please?
You can choose your island layout.
You can choose where villagers place their homes.
You can relocate your home.
You can terraform the land, adding elevated areas, expanding or shrinking rivers, etc.
You can limit visitors from using things like Axes, and designate best friends who don't have those restrictions.
You can use limited time Dodo codes so only people with that code can enter you island when you open the gate.
Lots more I'm forgetting.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Ok I need to get this off my chest, take the reactionary punches that follows and then I'm done here.

HUGE AC fan here, easily my favorite Nintendo DS and Nintendo 3DS titles and I have limited experience with the home-console games. What drew me in was just the vibe. It's as simple as that, but what kept me was the charming design, of having random seeds which breeds "unique per player" content, and makes it really satisfying once you burnt out after 3 months on your village, constructions and management to say "Ok I'm gonna do-over it all, give me a new seed and a clean town!" and the joy of being in those 3-month sprints where I actually played it was all about the lived-in feeling. It would update my calendar spontaneously (even if it's all pre-planned systematically) and I would "log-in" every day and be surprised there was almost always something new happening. That hasn't changed but the rest of the experience has... and I can already tell it won't improve what I think makes the games work.

What makes it all work is the subtle and "hidden" nature of the way the games are systematized. It's the random terrain and town seeds, pattern generation, face generation, who comes and goes.

They literally took everything that used to be a reactive and organic element of the game engine and said "HERE YOU GO, PLAYER! YOU CAN CHEAT NOW." and we just get to decide literally every thing right down to almost stats that determine what is in your world. This is a cop out. Almost none of these things are actually new features to the game or its engine, they just give you the keys to them. I was already a bit leery about the Mayor thing in NL but it was a nice balance between the generated and the player-driven content. This is like 100% more player-driven and it takes out too much of what made AC stand out from any other "SIM" franchise.

Very, very disappointed right now. It's like "Animal Crossing: Materialist Edition".

Really debating whether I am getting it day 1 now. I hope they mitigate this lameness via good post-launch support so there's still a sense of an immersive and ever-growing world that changes with the clock.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this is a day one for me. All of it looked fantastic in my opinion. What a perfect game for the Switch. Can't wait for March 20.

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
Honestly a lot of the micromanagement of the island seems a little more than what I personally want from AC games, but I'm willing to go in and give it a try.

these are my sentiments, too. i never wanted animal crossing to be a game where i have 100% control over every single detail, down to the shape of the island. i feel like i'm going to stressed over making my island "perfect" instead of just enjoying it for what it is. i think this is just because i am a huge perfectionist.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You can choose your island layout.
You can choose where villagers place their homes.
You can relocate your home.
You can terraform the land, adding elevated areas, expanding or shrinking rivers, etc.
You can limit visitors from using things like Axes, and designate best friends who don't have those restrictions.
You can use limited time Dodo codes so only people with that code can enter you island when you open the gate.
Lots more I'm forgetting.
it's beautiful.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
03db1c6f1ff7797b504526f44a75761c.jpg

Good to see Nintendo keeping up to date with modern paleontology

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So save data issue.

"It's "meant" to be for lost or stolen devices."

The US stream has a disclaimer about only allowing one save data transfer between Switches.
The UK and JP streams have no such disclaimer.

prizna

Jan 15, 2018
I know the Direct was spoken as 'Nook Inc.' and not Nintendo, but all the 'We have plans to add' sounded like Nintendo will be adding stuff like the Museum in updates.

Nov 4, 2017
Crafting your own waterfalls sounds huge to me. I missed having varied terrain in New Leaf.

I'm still not a fan of this cloud save support, especially that they couldn't have it implemented day one. To a certain extent, I can understand not transferring whole islands to duplicate items, but when there's just my account on my Switch and I want to upgrade to a Pro somewhere down the line, I really don't want nor need two separate consoles just to play my full library.

I guarantee there will be a full system transfer functionality if a new revision of the Switch comes out, just like the 3DS got. They just aren't going to maroon people's Splatoon, AC, and Pokémon data.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
It kind of felt like when people started making paths in New Leaf (and probably before) that Nintendo wasn't intending for that. But I like that they have leaned all the way into it. A. If complaint was houses moving into areas where you had your paths, messing things up, and it's cool that Nintendo lets you have more control over that now.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Everything looks incredible. I just wish we knew more about the transfers. I'll definitely upgrade my switch to a new model at some point. My only hope is if Nintendo introduces a FULL system transfer (as opposed to user transfer) that can move AC over....

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
The best friends thing and Dodo codes seem great.
Will allow me to invite people without fear they're going to destroy my town.

Also, can you only type in game chat online with that stupid Switch Online app?

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know watching the deliberations it really is just starting to lock into my fears since E3. This is just a game about management now moreso than it's a game about relaxing in a virtual space. The hook is less that it changes with a few odd activities every week or the novelty of the 365 days a year feature with calendars mapped to the end of the century, it's about taking previous features and overexposing them because it's the only way, apparently, to iterate on the formula and I feel like they're doing this without questioning if they should.

A lot of these feature "improvements" don't hold value to me, they just incentivise a lot of stress-inducing activities because you have to customize almost literally everything now.

They removed the hidden character designer feature in the intro, fuuuuuck. I think I'm out. This is not a Day 1 for me. I'm gonna be wait and see and ignore a lot of the obligatory, gullible hype surrounding it from newcomers and Switch enthusiasts.

You can play how you want. The reality is that this was the next logical step for the game. In past versions it would reach a point where the only thing to do on a daily basis was to check the shops basically.

You can still chill. Not like you're going to be editing terrain every single day. Bask in the reward of customizing your town and home to your liking and setting up areas to chill in the virtual world as you say.

Jafku1

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Only for lost and stolen devices, huge yikes!

The disclaimer is not in the UK version though.

Uhm, don't think you have to pay. They never said anything about a separate service.
No you don't, what are you talking about??
my apologies. They did say separate service but that does not mean it's a paid service. still, it's a mystery why cloud saves aren't supported. In a service that people paid for