• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Now guess how much time, from 0-25 minutes, will be spent on amiibo support

0 = "Oh shit, they didn't put amiibo support into this game, did they"
25 = "Why god did they focus so much on amiibo"

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that might be there that kinda fits this is if an Animal Crossing character would be announced as the first Fighter Pass 2 fighter for Smash. I can't see that happening as that won't be a big 'must have' character like Joker or Banjo who really sold passes, but who knows. This thing is called an Animal Crossing: New Horizons Direct for a reason. Not a Direct focussed on Animal Crossing: New Horizons and other stuff.
This would be totally fine though :)

Oct 28, 2017
Why were people anticipating a general? We still know very little about AC. It seemed like a guarantee for a while that the next one would be AC focused.

Don't expect a general one until April at soonest IMO. And even then they might just save stuff up and have a massive announcement blowout at E3.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Cant say I'm a fan of them wanting a much more online focused animal crossing. Like Andre wants like a fully online Co-op town but I just dont see how that fits the vision of animal crossing. The more human players and houses you add the less animal villagers there would be logistically. Not that online couldn't be improved/expanded from new leaf but I dont see how an (online)cooperative town would even work with a game you can take offline and play by yourself.

Also I'm really against the idea of adding more islands via and expansion. Of course there's going to be a gimmick island like new leaf and the online will basically amount to you visiting other islands, but adding any significant amount of content post launch and having it not take place in the island you created seems like a bad move. They even namedropped the welcome amiibo expansion that only added things on top of your town, not give you a separate one to mess around with.

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
Not sure if I want to watch this since I'm already buying the game. On the other hand, the game is still over a month away....

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
I'm mildly interested in Animal Crossing so I'll watch it, I just hope it's a well paced Direct. That Animal Crossing segment in the September General Direct DRAGGED, and it was only a few minutes long (compared to 25 here). Hopefully it's interesting though, I played Wild World a ton as a teen and have a soft spot for city building games so I'm tempted to pull the trigger on this.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
I'm mildly interested in Animal Crossing so I'll watch it, I just hope it's a well paced Direct. That Animal Crossing segment in the September General Direct DRAGGED, and it was only a few minutes long (compared to 25 here). Hopefully it's interesting though, I played Wild World a ton as a teen and have a soft spot for city building games so I'm tempted to pull the trigger on this.

That's because it was just a recap of E3 2019 news basically.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017

I have no interest in Animal Crossing usually but all of my friends are super excited, it's contagious. This will be my first Animal Crossing.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
So they did announce a direct for my birthday (the 20th). Not the one I wanted but I'll watch anyways. Not sure if I'll buy AC because Fire Emblem is taking all of my time. Maybe I'll be done by the end of March.

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Cant say I'm a fan of them wanting a much more online focused animal crossing. Like Andre wants like a fully online Co-op town but I just dont see how that fits the vision of animal crossing. The more human players and houses you add the less animal villagers there would be logistically. Not that online couldn't be improved/expanded from new leaf but I dont see how an (online)cooperative town would even work with a game you can take offline and play by yourself.
Haven't listened, but I hope any of the social aspects that eventually get in don't detract from the single player experience. I've noticed Andre has been wanting a lot of co-op/online versions of Nintendo games in many discussions. I'm all for the option but, I have two kids, travel a lot for work, and don't have a lot of time to devote to video games like a professional might (not saying the GX crew doesn't have other commitments). I just want to unwind and do my own thing, and single player animal crossing feels like a tailored experience for where I am at in life.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019

Also I'm really against the idea of adding more islands via and expansion. Of course there's going to be a gimmick island like new leaf and the online will basically amount to you visiting other islands, but adding any significant amount of content post launch and having it not take place in the island you created seems like a bad move. They even namedropped the welcome amiibo expansion that only added things on top of your town, not give you a separate one to mess around with.
Animal Crossing is interesting because everyone has a different idea of where it should go / should have gone

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I hope they give some idea of what they have planned for transferring your island to a new switch...but I doubt they'll say anything about that until later.

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I hope they give some idea of what they have planned for transferring your island to a new switch...but I doubt they'll say anything about that until later.
Didn't Nintendo of Japan already announce that you can't transfer save files? I'm pretty sure I remember them saying that along with their new "cloud" save for stolen/damaged switches.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't Nintendo of Japan already announce that you can't transfer save files? I'm pretty sure I remember them saying that along with their new "cloud" save for stolen/damaged switches.

it's anyone's guess right now. We know you can't save your island to the cloud or transfer a save to a new switch by transferring the user over.

but a solution for a lost or stolen switch is in the works. I don't see why this would exclude upgrading your switch to a new model. It's the same concept if you plan on dumping the old one. But who knows how all of this will work.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Big fan of animal crossing but i dont know if i should watch the direct because of "spoilers" because i want to discover things

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I can see your Switch making an online backup everytime you save while connected to the internet. Kinda like the Dream Suite. That way people can still visit your island even when you turn the game off and you'd get whatever gifts they leave behind when you boot up your game again while online. This also kinda explains why autosaves are a thing now.

This would also fall in line with my theory where griefing wouldn't be a thing in New Horizons. I think people who come visit your town won't be able to cut down your trees anymore. When they hit 'em with their axe they will just get wood, and they won't be able to remove trees and place them somewhere else. This way they won't be able to alter your online save state, so when you log back in, even when you've made changes to your town while offline, people wouldn't have been able to trash your town, and everything they left as gifts would be collected in a lost & found box or something.

This also means Nintendo could push the latest version of your 'dream'/online town to a new Switch console if you ask them. I don't know how exactly this would work though. Maybe they can disable your account from a distance like Wii U accounts, after which you can login on a new Switch and get a one time push of your island on your new Switch.

A system where you can manually download your island won't ever work. That way you could just give your crown and other expensive items to a friend, download your cloud save, drop the items off again, download your cloud save etc. Nintendo has to be the party who flips the Switch on giving you access to your old save if they really want to combat item duplicating and stuff like that.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
There is a god, and her name is Isabelle.

I'm very curious about the amibo functionality and online features.

Skies

Oct 25, 2017
Wow had to do a double take when I saw this on my news notifications. The pattern is dead.

And my wife and I will be able to watch this Direct live before work! 😆

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly it's still a question in my mind what the scope of this game's ambition is. Is it just incremental updates to the Animal Crossing formula on the Switch? I would definitely be cool with that. Though I do wonder if there is some really major feature yet to be revealed.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
I really want to see a lot of new features and content. Only adding crafting and a few QOL improvements would be disappointing imo. It's been 8 years since New Leaf and they skipped a whole console generation.

Feb 22, 2018
I hope they are adding alot of new furniture sets. My favorite aspect of Animal Crossing has always been decorating my house.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Some more predictions

Co-inciding with the 2020 Olympics is a new Sports Festival, taking place over several days, where you compete with other players in slightly altered versions of the multiplayer minigames from the island. The summer aerobics classes return and are presented as training exercises for the Sports Festival in late summer

Gracie Grace has a ton more furniture, getting most of the fortune cookie items from Pocket Camp. Crazy Redd now sells knock-off versions of a lot of her stuff in addition to his art forgeries

The slingshot is gone. It doesn't appear with the other tools in the diy menu so it's safe to say it's gone. Balloons with presents will land in trees as they did in Population Growing. You will still have the option to tilt the camera upward to look at the sky, largely for fireworks but it won't have any substantial gameplay purpose.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK.
OT6 IS WHAT WE NEEDED.
I think it's blatantly obvious at this point that Nintendo is watching the Direct Speculation OTs, and that the AC direct is our reward for reaching OT6.

Next we need to reach OT10 in order to unlock the General Direct Reward.

Last edited:

Buzzth

Jan 15, 2018
Japan
I really hope they make the direct interesting like the one where they got Kazumi Totaka to jam that nice bossa Nova track with KK Slider.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why were people anticipating a general? We still know very little about AC. It seemed like a guarantee for a while that the next one would be AC focused.

Don't expect a general one until April at soonest IMO. And even then they might just save stuff up and have a massive announcement blowout at E3.
I can't wait for when the annual investor meeting in April comes around and Nintendo has to justify how a Xenoblade Remaster as biggest title lets them reach their hardware sale goals.

Or, you know, maybe we have some more games added to the line-up then to give investors more confidence.