• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I'm going to end up buying this game aren't I lol. Kept telling myself I wasn't going to get it, but every thread I see about the game makes me want to get back into the series. Mind you I haven't really played Animal Crossing Wild World on the DS... Mind you I have great memories of those days but the game came out in like 2005... Just not sure I'd be able to enjoy the game as much as I used to 15 years ago.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait.

I hope Egbert comes back. Ever since my old roommate got the entire town saying, "Egbert sharted..." I've eagerly awaited his arrival.

Oct 25, 2017
ezwjh3zon1c41.jpg
Anyone know what that screen cover thing is officially called???

And is there any available for the Switch currently by any company??

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
i visited the nintendo store in tokyo today and picked up some of the ac merch. they were playing the animal crossing theme on the speakers and i got so emotional, lmao. everyone was really interested in the ac branded items. i hope we get a direct soon.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
We can... Whenever Nintendo decides to stop teasing us and put it up for digital preorder. :(

Well, the game has to be pretty much done for digital since it will download the entire game when you pre-order.
And we are still 2 months out, it's really unlikely it would go up this early

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Seems kinda mad that we've had videos for Pokemon and Smash that are announcing content not out for ages, yet here Animal Crossing fans are having to pour over 3rd party accessory announcements for morsels of info like animals wearing long sleeve clothing, for a game that is out in less than 2 months. Although in some way I guess this is ironically building hype up to a fever pitch.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Seems kinda mad that we've had videos for Pokemon and Smash that are announcing content not out for ages, yet here Animal Crossing fans are having to pour over 3rd party accessory announcements for morsels of info like animals wearing long sleeve clothing, for a game that is out in less than 2 months. Although in some way I guess this is ironically building hype up to a fever pitch.

It's really annoying yeah. I get that it's AC so there's not a whole lot you need to show but the marketing has been close to non-existent recently. You would think it wasn't out this soon.

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
This game is going to take over my summer gaming time. Would not surprise me if Nintendo does not release many of their big titles over the first half of 2020 as a result (Not including ports, remakes, etc. though).

New Horizons is going to do huge numbers for Nintendo, despite how little we actually know about it. Cannot wait to see what else they have in store for their first HD entry.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
God I want to be excited for this game so bad, but it's really hard. So far all the new stuff for this proper sequel looks less than a regular Stardew patch. I really wish they went all out with this one and made it something more... perhaps there are some things they are holding back. But I definitely hope its more than "Characters can now wear sweaters" and "The weeds look different".
Again, I feel like people are just expecting too much. If you aren't excited for an Animal Crossing that's fine.

I don't want Breath of the Wild Crossing. It's been 7 years since the last major entry and about 3 years since I actively played an AC game. That time window is enough that going back to it feels nice, and with a little coat of paint to freshen things up.

On the contrary I'm the opposite. I hope they DON'T change too much because all this island building and focus on crafting seems antithesis to what the spirit of this franchise has been. It's not Stardew Valley it's a game about simply being in a village with virtual friends, and the game largely runs itself but then there's activities you can go and do for maybe an hour or two per day, and very little you can do on sundays when everything is closed.

I hope they just keep it simple.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
oh wow that's an actual Disney character? Lol looks like a knockoff.
Well, its the first actual Disney Prince. Every human in snow white looks jank becuase of heavy rotoscoping, even snow white.
fe4728d450f0d7c432ee8d5364ff62b0.png

3579254dd7b240f817f4603c883b943c.jpg

Modern reinterpretations make them look better, but there still some jank and they can never get the prince looking similar in various official art.
250103_1306697895182_243_300.jpg

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
This game looks so perfect. The gameplay changes are just what I didn't know it always needed. It will consume me alive.

OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Well, the game has to be pretty much done for digital since it will download the entire game when you pre-order.
And we are still 2 months out, it's really unlikely it would go up this early
Yep, and I made this thread in December for this occasion:

www.resetera.com

I must convince you all why you must buy the digital eShop version of Animal Crossing: New Horizons

The short list: You get 5% Gold Coins from Nintendo. It's more convenient. The game itself is best played in multiple, short splurges. Because of above, having to switch game cartridges would be a hassle when you have other games to play. You can do all of the activities in one long session...

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
Yep, and I made this thread in December for this occasion:

www.resetera.com

I must convince you all why you must buy the digital eShop version of Animal Crossing: New Horizons

The short list: You get 5% Gold Coins from Nintendo. It's more convenient. The game itself is best played in multiple, short splurges. Because of above, having to switch game cartridges would be a hassle when you have other games to play. You can do all of the activities in one long session...
lol, why make the thread so early?

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I hope Happy Home Designer elements are in this, loved that game

I wanna say they confirmed the most important element, namely that objects can be moved at half-block increments

They've also put in the animals-wearing-accessories from Pocket Camp, too, which is its best feature tbh

Animal-Crossing-New-Horizons-12-31-19-Screenshot-1.jpg

Honestly at this point my only worry is the removal of shops and their associated NPCs, but I figure we just haven't seen those yet for a reason. I also assume the Nook home base will be upgraded to an actual building at some point, and we still have no idea where Isabelle lives

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, theres no Amiibo support? Not even the villager cards? I wanted an easy way to guarantee Flip goddammit

gimme the monkey boy

Coztoomba

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, theres no Amiibo support? Not even the villager cards? I wanted an easy way to guarantee Flip goddammit

gimme the monkey boy

Where does it say that? I thought they already confirmed Amiibo support?

What I really don't want to see in this game is levelling up with villagers. Leave that stuff hidden in the background. I hope they steer clear of a lot of the things they did with mobile.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Amiibo support was confirmed at E3, both cards and figures. They didn't outline exactly what they would do though, but said given the proliferation of AC amiibo they would be implemented into the game somehow.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I never understood why the animals have any importance. They barely speak to me. Animal crossing is been a slave of tanioki boy: the game.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Amiibo support was confirmed at E3, both cards and figures. They didn't outline exactly what they would do though, but said given the proliferation of AC amiibo they would be implemented into the game somehow.

I can finally use my dozens of cards.
(still need to get Marshal's card)

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wanna say they confirmed the most important element, namely that objects can be moved at half-block increments

They've also put in the animals-wearing-accessories from Pocket Camp, too, which is its best feature tbh

Honestly at this point my only worry is the removal of shops and their associated NPCs, but I figure we just haven't seen those yet for a reason. I also assume the Nook home base will be upgraded to an actual building at some point, and we still have no idea where Isabelle lives
Jesus Christ the amount of hype and sheer joy that this picture alone brings me is beyond measure and completely stupid lmao.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019

I'm guessing the shops will be on another island like the camping guy on the box but idk, not sure there would be space on the player island
Also I hope to lord they remove villagers having to request buildings for you to build them. I played New Leaf for YEARS and never got my police station.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm guessing the shops will be on another island like the camping guy on the box but idk, not sure there would be space on the player island
Also I hope to lord they remove villagers having to request buildings for you to build them. I played New Leaf for YEARS and never got my police station.
Weird, I had all my building in NL by like the end of my second or third month.

I would be annoyed if the town proper/shops were on another island. I wouldn't mind if there was a separate City we could visit that was focused on community/online features specifically, but not for general goods and shops. It's one thing to have loading screen after you just walk across the train tacks in NL to Main Street which isn't a big deal, but having to like get in a boat or on a plane to travel to another Island sounds way too cumbersome like the Bus from City Folk. Even if the loading is instant, just the dialogue and animations of talking to Chip and then like flying off and landing sound like they'd get really annoying.

No reason they can create a Main Street again and bust through those rocks on the very north of the map at some point. But I wonder if the upper 1/4th of the map, up on the cliff denoted in light green, is going to be the town area. If exploration is an element of New Horizons, with the need in stuff like the pole vault to access areas divided by the rivers in the early game, it wouldn't surprise me if we couldn't access that upper 1/4 of the map due to not being able scale the cliffs and by doing so they'd be able to reserve that land for the town shops since the player and villagers couldn't gain access to build houses or anything there initially. Carving out some paths could be a task we have to complete to open up access to that area and then construction begins on those shops.

Trevelyan

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus Christ the amount of hype and sheer joy that this picture alone brings me is beyond measure and completely stupid lmao.
Same. There is so much personality and tranquility in that photo. It's been years since I've touched New Leaf and I'm at uncontrollable hype levels for this. Being able to finally play Animal Crossing in HD has been a loooooong time coming.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Had to update my avatar to the new render. Any word on when pre-orders open on the eShop? I have a voucher burning in my Nintendo wallet.

Lemrik

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Nintendo of Europe just released an Animal Crossing Birthday Calender.
80 Platinum-Points, print-it-yourself

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
Had to update my avatar to the new render. Any word on when pre-orders open on the eShop? I have a voucher burning in my Nintendo wallet.

No idea but it's probably still a month before eshop pre-orders go up, since you download the whole game and I doubt that can be done yet.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I loved New Leaf but none of the AC since the original and WW really struck me as closely. I skipped the games between WW and NL but even NL failed to become a daily habit outside of checking every couple days the first couple months I had it.

I'm hoping this one becomes that game like the first two (in America) that became a daily habit, exciting and fun without being a chore (for me at least).

Now I have a kid and NL was his first but it never got him as hooked as I thought it would.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I loved New Leaf but none of the AC since the original and WW really struck me as closely. I skipped the games between WW and NL but even NL failed to become a daily habit outside of checking every couple days the first couple months I had it.
this made it sound like there was more than one game between WW and NL and I worried that my brain was going bad

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo of Europe just released an Animal Crossing Birthday Calender.
80 Platinum-Points, print-it-yourself

As a heads up I downloaded the PDF and it seems to be focused on Pocket Camp - no new villagers

Might be a good indicator of every villager and NPC coming back, though, considering they didn't brand it specifically as a Pocket Camp calendar

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I've only really played NL to any real extent, and I played it a lot, like several hundred hours lot. I tried City Folk for a bit but it just didn't jive with me, probably as it was on a console. So I've never actually experienced an AC with real meaningful Villager interactions. So I do hope they're able to recapture that magic and depth so many express being present in the GC installment. They really didn't do anything of interest in NL and were often just a nuisance.

Beyond that I love every thing we've seen about this game so far. The art style, setting, new features all look like exactly the type of things I'll enjoy.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
animal_crossing_figurines.jpg

Furuta will launch a new set of AC figure in February (in Japan) but is based (again) on New Leaf. I find it so weird that all merchandise so far (except some preorder bonuses) is using New Leaf instead of the new game.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
I am beginning to let myself feel the hype. Ever since the GC game, the series has always had a strange grip on me. Even low points like Pocket Camp had me logging in every single day for 2 years because I was so thirsty. There have been imitators like Magician's Quest: Mysterious Times (try it tho) but AC is so fucking sublime and imo, one of Nintendo's finest and most complex achievements.

Casual observers or people who find the game boring will never understand. Villagers can be broken down into reskinned personality types and cold shit like that but there's nothing better than visiting a favorite villager everyday, one you might even thought was hideous and disappointing at first. One time, I TT'd and lost Beardo by accident so I spent like an hour drawing a really detailed gravestone for one of those signs you can place outside. Or like, FINALLY finding that blue rose on the beach because all the cross pollination stations took over your village for weeks.

tl;dr i can't wait for horizons and need that kisekae set too