• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 25, 2019
The item is called "12 crushed grapes". It's on the Japanese site.

Though they don't look like grapes or crushed.
Oh my, grapes to wish on. Beautiful.

Does the update include anything that wasn't in a prior game? Sitting down outside I guess?
9 new reactions, 6 new hairstyles and an storage expansion of 800. There's also 2 new items and the international release of 5 items. The irl Catalogue app is also there, I guess.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
You can get drunk with other people, as they are adding little champagne glasses.

15572_30.jpg

If the green things are grapes, I can also pretend to wish on them like real life. Without the almost dying because I can't eat 12 grapes that fast.
Where is that from? How do you get those food items?

holeung

Oct 28, 2017
Yeh, after all these months suffering from having the villagers sitting & blocking my way,
I can finally block their walking path, bite me!

Woylie

May 9, 2018
I don't think it was mentioned in the OP, but Random Dream Islands are returning from New Leaf too. I'm excited, since Random Dream-hopping was one of my favorite things to do in NL and it was a bummer that NH initially forced you to use a dream code. Hopefully it'll work with the favorites function so we can favorite cool random islands we find.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Winter time in Animal Crossing is so cozy. Can't wait to return to it. Though I will have to take down all the Halloween stuff I had up in October...

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
It's just all a little odd cause the "Christmas Update!" is just what Animal Crossing is in a way... it's expected when you buy it that it has Christmas and holidays ect. So the updates are always a bit disappointing because its like, yea? I guess I've just been waiting for a "2.0" style update that I know will never come, but I still will retain hope.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Save data transfer. Like yeah, a month late after i decide to change my Switch and lost my Island from March....

Annyway, still having fun rebuilding, hope lost content from New Leaf will make it one day. Cant wait to see if cooking is only for thanksgiving or forever, its a cool feature.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I don't see why people want an expanded Nook when there's not really enough items to justify it. To me, they need to expand the item pool massively at the same time as an expanded nook or I'll just be looking at the same items every day, except more this time.

It seems they are finally, after COVID-19 and everything else, hitting QOL and fan requests with storage updates and ethnic hair, so we'll see where this goes. I know I need that storage, it's one of the things that got me out of the game.

COVID-19 pushed Nintendos entire schedule months backwards, games like 3D All Stars and 3D World were meant to come out months before. I think it's safe to say COVID-19 had a huge effect on New Horizons patch development.
A store upgrade should also come with an expansion to the furniture catalog. ACNH is pretty light on sets compared to previous games and there's a ton they can add back.

It's expected that store upgrades would include permanent sections for Leif, Kicks, and Label like in previous games. They should also expand what the sell. The way these characters work now is a pain the ass.

Even if they don't add new furniture, just allowing you to buy variants would be a big deal. We shouldn't have to do catalog parties.

FinalArcadia

Nov 4, 2020
USA
I do like being able to see the seasonal changes to the shop. Previous games those mid tier shops were gone within a week. Having a bigger store won't help item diversity since it'd just be more items on display of what we've already seen. Hoping the next upgrade would bring those old sets back (rococo, yes please). Grace needs to return, because her girl Mabel has awful taste and all of her clothing is tacky af.
I imagine most people asking for an expanded store want more older furniture pieces added in at the same time.
Yeah, if there was a store upgrade, I'd hope they'd add in new furniture too that would shuffle in to add some much needed variety, though I guess that's not a given. It's like most of the stuff that Timmy and Tommy currently sell are more knick-knacks than legit furniture, with just a few exceptions like the antique set (which, admittedly, I do love lol). With more store space, it seems like it'd be perfect to add more sets to have larger items for sale in one section or something.

Gracie's store was great in City Folk, it'd be cool to see her come back with all those sets and maybe even some new ones. She'd probably just be one of the roaming NPCs kinda like Label is now, but Gracie being part of a late T&T upgrade as the upstairs would be neat. Wish we'd get more actual buildings though, it's part of why I'm waiting to see Brewster come back and see if he ends up going in the museum, being a plaza guest, or getting his cafe back from NL.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
It's just all a little odd cause the "Christmas Update!" is just what Animal Crossing is in a way... it's expected when you buy it that it has Christmas and holidays ect. So the updates are always a bit disappointing because its like, yea? I guess I've just been waiting for a "2.0" style update that I know will never come, but I still will retain hope.
Game isnt even a year old - they are not reinventing the wheel with a 2.0 update only a couple months in during Covid. Thats something i would expect in year 2.

PS. Also just because something is expected - doesnt mean you dont want to know about it details. Every big games is gonna have some kind of Christmas(Holiday event nowadays regardless of the genre and they are gonna tell their audience about it via blogpost, video or tweet xD

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Game isnt even a year old - they are not reinventing the wheel with a 2.0 update only a couple months in during Covid. Thats something i would expect in year 2.

PS. Also just because something is expected - doesnt mean you dont want to know about it details. Every big games is gonna have some kind of Christmas(Holiday event nowadays regardless of the genre and they are gonna tell their audience about it via blogpost, video or tweet xD
I mean, the stuff people want isn't exactly reinventing the wheel. They're features that should be standard. The game still has less features than New Leaf and that was a 3DS game.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I just want diagonal path edges. Come on, Nintendo. You gave us diagonal cliff and river edges. You even gave us diagonal bridges. But we can't have diagonal paths leading to and from those bridges?

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
I really need a QoL update.
I love love love this game but firing it up lately and knowing how much text I already read 1000 times before I have to click through is making me nauseous. Same with all the management bits.

Having said that the update is cute. I am really happy Black people will have more representative hair styles in game.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, the stuff people want isn't exactly reinventing the wheel. They're features that should be standard. The game still has less features than New Leaf and that was a 3DS game.
As disappointed as I am they're not adding stuff back faster, New Horizons has a plethora of big features New Leaf doesn't have, and it is an HD game that requires all new assets for everything.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

I think the weirdness is that for us used to it, this is regular ol' Animal Crossing. But for those new to it, they're trying to position it as a GaaS game that's constantly evolving/changing with updates.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
The big things I'm hoping for in year two, outside of QOL stuff like making it easier to delete flowers, is an expansion in villager dialog and one big expansion in items.

I'd really like a Splatoon style expansion, too and I'm willing to pay for it.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
In the old games all it really meant is that now you need to empty your inventory every time before doing certain activities.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
The Christmas items look great. I'll put them next to my permanent Halloween fixtures.

I think they are essentially saving the big non-holiday updates for "year two" though I needed a Nook shop upgrade year zero.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I hope next year they re-do the holiday events so that you get items to actually decorate the town with before the holiday itself. In the older games it was less of an issue because you were just decorating the inside of your house so having a themed Halloween room or whatever seemed less silly but now you don't really get to enjoy decorating the town before it's outdated.

BigTime_2018

Dec 31, 2018
The Japanese page has some other info.

Christmas log for downloading the update from Nintendo
15572_28.jpg

Pocket Camp phone design to celebrate 3 years of Pocket Camp
15572_25.jpg

Can now visit random dreams in the Dream Suite (users must first set their island to allow random visitors)
15572_26.jpg

And a Catalog update for your irl smartphone via the NSO app
kXNqMu2.png
Being able to visit random Dreams? That makes the Dream Suite so much better.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
So there isn't any real farming, that was scrapped besides pumpkins?

I could see it being delayed to the Spring update.

But that's also all datamining. We're looking at works in progress and it may have not been intended to fully come out this year. Or it was scrapped, as development does sometimes.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Like every other thing from the data leaks has been added and somehow people don't think Brewster or Gyroids are coming anymore? Why? Gyroids are even mentioned in the official guide aren't they? It says they come out after it rains.

Haelsly

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so excited for that Sit Down reaction, it's ridiculous.

Thank god for the storage increase as well, I can start hoarding things again.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Like every other thing from the data leaks has been added and somehow people don't think Brewster or Gyroids are coming anymore? Why? Gyroids are even mentioned in the official guide aren't they? It says they come out after it rains.
Covid has thrown a wrench into a lot so it's not a totally unreasonable leap in logic to think that they might've had to axe plans for both.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Covid has thrown a wrench into a lot so it's not a totally unreasonable leap in logic to think that they might've had to axe plans for both.
But why would it not just delay them? They've committed to 2-3 years of post-release support, even with Covid slowing things down and such why would that not just delay their inclusion and instead cancel it entirely? It's not like they're lacking funding or internal support for further development because the game didn't sell well or something.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
If these updates have disappointed you, I honestly wouldn't hold out hope for anything more. It's Nintendo...

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
If these updates have disappointed you, I honestly wouldn't hold out hope for anything more. It's Nintendo...

This is the same subgroup and many of the same developers that worked on Splatoon 1 and 2, which handled post release content pretty well. There's reason to expect just a bit more from New Horizons than other Nintendo games.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
But why would it not just delay them? They've committed to 2-3 years of post-release support, even with Covid slowing things down and such why would that not just delay their inclusion and instead cancel it entirely? It's not like they're lacking funding or internal support for further development because the game didn't sell well or something.
The cafe and gyroids may come, but the dev team has other content that they're working on, and that they feel takes priority. That being said, data mines should always be taken with a grain of salt because there's no guarantee what you think will come because there's hints of it in data doesn't mean that it will actually come in the near term, or at all.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Is it possible for an existing resident to move to a new island and become the island representative for that island?

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
This is the same subgroup and many of the same developers that worked on Splatoon 1 and 2, which handled post release content pretty well. There's reason to expect just a bit more from New Horizons than other Nintendo games.
That's great, and the devs have handled it well, to my and many others' appreciation. But to expect some kind of '2.0' after all this is akin to asking for a new game, unless I've misinterpreted.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible for an existing resident to move to a new island and become the island representative for that island?
Players that are not the resident rep can transfer their saves to another Switch and become the resident rep of their own island, unless I'm mistaken.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Players that are not the resident rep can transfer their saves to another Switch and become the resident rep of their own island, unless I'm mistaken.
That's what I was wondering. So if my older sister wants to get her own Switch & start her own island, she can transfer her character from Merhaba (my island) to become the new island's rep.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
The cafe and gyroids may come, but the dev team has other content that they're working on, and that they feel takes priority. That being said, data mines should always be taken with a grain of salt because there's no guarantee what you think will come because there's hints of it in data doesn't mean that it will actually come in the near term, or at all.
How can you or anyone say what the Dev team does and doesn't see as a priority, we have no idea what their roadmap was/is for these features. For all we know Brewster and/or Gyroids have always been planned for New Years/January release, or even a Year 2 release, etc. I would bet that the next Nookling update would be set for a 1-year anniversary. Or maybe they have been cut! It's entirely possible given your point about taking any datelines with a grain of salt, which I agree with 100% btw. That's why my question was based on the premise of, since everything else from the datemines has made it into the game, what gives people the impression that those two would get the axe vs anything else that was discovered that's eventually made it in?

Is it that those two features are super anticipated so the wait for their inclusion is just that excruciating? Where people see other leaked features added to the game but not their dream features so they just get discouraged and assume the worst? D:

I want those Gyroids goddammit ):<

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
How can you or anyone say what the Dev team does and doesn't see as a priority, we have no idea what their roadmap was/is for these features. For all we know Brewster and/or Gyroids have always been planned for New Years/January release, or even a Year 2 release, etc. I would bet that the next Nookling update would be set for a 1-year anniversary. Or maybe they have been cut! It's entirely possible given your point about taking any datelines with a grain of salt, which I agree with 100% btw. That's why my question was based on the premise of, since everything else from the datemines has made it into the game, what gives people the impression that those two would get the axe vs anything else that was discovered that's eventually made it in?

Is it that those two features are super anticipated so the wait for their inclusion is just that excruciating? Where people see other leaked features added to the game but not their dream features so they just get discouraged and assume the worst? D:

I want those Gyroids goddammit ):<
Well, I'd say that what they've released thus far has been of a higher priority to finish, based on the fact that a lot of it is either seasonal content that had obvious deadlines or features that required online infrastructure. Data backups and save transfers for AC aren't just nice-to-haves, after all.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I didn't get around to logon during October but I'll jump back in for the Winter Update.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I'd say that what they've released thus far has been of a higher priority to finish, based on the fact that a lot of it is either seasonal content that had obvious deadlines or features that required online infrastructure. Data backups and save transfers for AC aren't just nice-to-haves, after all.
Sure I'm just saying it assumes that the other features were sidelined/cut to focus on these when we have no idea if that's the case. Though honestly it wouldn't surprise me if they initially had zero plans for all the cloud saves/save transfer stuff until people pitched a giant fit about it, that could certainly cause some stuff to get moved around and delayed under the mess that unfortunately is their work at home pipelines ):

Still, I don't see any reason to assume anything was scrapped even with other features being pushed to the forefront VS just delayed. Have hope y'all!