• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When do you expect the Animal Crossing Direct?

• February 5th or 6th

Votes: 58 6.6%
  • February 12th or 13th

Votes: 119 13.5%
  • February 19th or 20th

Votes: 297 33.7%
  • Later Feburary

Votes: 123 13.9%
  • Early March

Votes: 127 14.4%
  • No Direct

Votes: 158 17.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
calm down guys, we're probably getting patches for at least a year (I'd bet two), by the end of content updates I'm sure everybody will be accounted for

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really looking forward to this, my health has been a bit on and off lately so something I can lay down and relax with is what the doctor ordered.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Super anxious about some work related stuff - damn I could use this game right about now.

Also cannot wait to see my wife's new themed Switch.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
opened up new leaf for the first time really since like 2015 (though i checked it a couple of times in like 2017 but not a lot)
holy jeez the storage they added in the welcome amiibo update is crazy! and i didn't realize they already had the drag and drop decorating since that update, thought that was new in New Horizons. weird

also forgot i had a ton of bells saved up. i need new horizons now, i have like 3 other people who are getting it as well that i am gonna play with, its gonna be so good

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I know nothing but will be there day one, what's the consensus so far without spoiling anything? (I don't really care about spioilers but because I've gone this long I might as well go in with no knowledge).

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I know nothing but will be there day one, what's the consensus so far without spoiling anything? (I don't really care about spioilers but because I've gone this long I might as well go in with no knowledge).
We're all in awe, this is the definitive Animal Crossing game. Only concerns so far are about some special characters we haven't seen yet

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
Attaching rewards like emotes to villagers is a good move, more things the villagers do and give the better. Will it suck if some characters don't return? Sure. But does everyone have to always return? It's not like they aren't adding new characters.
It's not even about character but events. Going to the hair saloon was an event. Now it's a menu. Going to the show get emotes was an event. Now it's gone.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Going to the show get emotes was an event. Now it's gone.
nah, it's not gone. Now it's part of talking to others, which is both actually how kids learn emotions irl, and what this game was supposed to be about in the first place

edit:
I can confirm what Aleh said, I'm basically their opposite, I'm a god damn Animal Crossing boomer, and even I am delighted by this fantastic game

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
It's not even about character but events. Going to the hair saloon was an event. Now it's a menu. Going to the show get emotes was an event. Now it's gone.
I'm preferring it this way (or the idea of it, since I we still have a solid 3 weeks to wait).
Changing your hairstyle or learning how to frown, these don't need to be "events". Maybe they've got more interesting events now instead.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
I'm preferring it this way (or the idea of it, since I we still have a solid 3 weeks to wait).
Changing your hairstyle or learning how to frown, these don't need to be "events". Maybe they've got more interesting events now instead.
The events are now establishing new shops and public works in your growing community. We get to participate in its growth every step along the way. Like how Blathers starts in a tent himself before the whole museum gets built.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
That a character is 'gone' now doesn't mean they're gone forever. I can see Tortimer hitting the dirt, but it doesn't make sense to kick out Redd or Shrunk. I can see them giving us special event weekends like Splatoon that they'll introduce in update videos (a big fishing tournament where Chip'll come back, or some kind of art event where Blathers sends you to a unique island where Redd lives, that kinda stuff). This is a game from the Splatoon team after all, and that game had constant updates for what... 2 years? I guess they don't want people to datamine every special little thing about the game on day 1, and I really like that.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Important to note that I agree with GJ that p much the whole gang is gonna be patched in, I just mean this list as a relative metric

Tier list of likelihood an unconfirmed character is gone:

No way:
Redd
Kapp'n
Brewster
Lyle

Probably not:
dog police
Tortimer
Phineas
Wendell
Pascal
Blanca
Those cats that get lost and separated
Katrina the fortune cat
Gracie

Maybe:
Shrunk
Rover
Leif
Luna the dream tapir who I forgot even after like twenty edits

A little likelier:
Nat
Chip
Joan
Harriet
Reese & Cyrus
Don Resetti (best character btw)

Kinda likely:
the mail pelicans, given how awkward adding a whole different post office would be...
Digby
Lyle's relative, like a niece or something (edit: lottie apparently)

Almost certainly:
Train monkeys
Frillard
Sarina (I think? Fountain dog)

Will never die in our hearts:
Cornimer

I think I got em all this time

Last edited:

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I like that you listed "Lyle's relative" (her name's Lottie btw) but not Lyle lmao. I wouldn't be sad at all if he was gone, and I wouldn't be surprised if Digby fully took over as the face of the Happy Home Academy.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I like that you listed "Lyle's relative" (her name's Lottie btw) but not Lyle lmao. I wouldn't be sad at all if he was gone, and I wouldn't be surprised if Digby fully took over as the face of the Happy Home Academy.
whoops, thanks lol

lyle is 100% coming back, there's no way a character whose role has changed so many times just gets cut

he's also the face of the hra and I'll accept no substitute

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
That a character is 'gone' now doesn't mean they're gone forever. I can see Tortimer hitting the dirt, but it doesn't make sense to kick out Redd or Shrunk. I can see them giving us special event weekends like Splatoon that they'll introduce in update videos (a big fishing tournament where Chip'll come back, or some kind of art event where Blathers sends you to a unique island where Redd lives, that kinda stuff). This is a game from the Splatoon team after all, and that game had constant updates for what... 2 years? I guess they don't want people to datamine every special little thing about the game on day 1, and I really like that.
Wishful thinking. Hope you are right.

But as of now it's safe to assume those characters and their shops/events are gone. We have strong evidence to assume that.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I forgot all about the fortune teller.

I'm curious if something like the Dream Suite (and Luna) is in this time.
I feel like an easy solution to including Luna without needing to take up any space with a physical location for her, is that you could just choose to go to sleep if you lie down on a bed, which would let you meet her in the dream world.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I disagree with my fellow ac boomer, learning emotes from villagers is a good change and a lot of these streamlined elements are just a matter of feature homogeneity

shrunk sucks ass and i'm glad hes dead permanently
the fucking remorselessness of this post made me laugh a lot

I feel like an easy solution to including Luna without needing to take up any space with a physical location for her, is that you could just choose to go to sleep if you lie down on a bed, which would let you meet her in the dream world.
this is

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
You know I know everyone thinks Cyrus & Reese are gone because Crafting is handeled differently, but I think it's worth noting that we haven't seen a replacement for Retail's other feature: the pawn shop.

I can easily envision either Retail the shop still being an optoin or a future addition to the normal shop headed by Reese (Cyrus will be in the corner, snoozing).

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Important to note that I agree with GJ that p much the whole gang is gonna be patched in, I just mean this list as a relative metric

Tier list of likelihood an unconfirmed character is gone:

No way:
Redd
Kapp'n
Brewster
Lyle

Probably not:
Tortimer
Phineas
Pascal
Blanca
Those cats that get lost and separated
Katrina the fortune cat

Maybe:
Shrunk
Rover
Luna the dream tapir who I forgot even after like twenty edits

A little likelier:
Nat
Chip
Joan
Harriet
Reese & Cyrus
Don Resetti (best character btw)

Kinda likely:
the mail pelicans, given how awkward adding a whole different post office would be...
Digby
Lyle's relative, like a niece or something (edit: lottie apparently)

Almost certainly:
Frillard
Sarina (I think? Fountain dog)

Will never die in our hearts:
Cornimer

I figure every character with an amiibo figure will be back, so I'd move Digby, Lottie, and Reese & Cyrus up. Even if they just get the "Welcome amiibo" treatment of having RV's roll up onto uh... the island. Somehow.

I also assume at least Pete will be back to deliver mail in the mornings, unless the Dodo's will take care of that. Pelly and Phyllis almost certainly gone, though.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Even if Reese, Cyrus, Lottie, Chip, Nat, Digby, Lyle, and others do not appear in New Horizons several of them have relatively noticeable roles in Pocket Camp which Nintendo seems to plan on supporting.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
godspeed to you saints that give a shit about lyle's niece

every character deserves fans
She's the only AC amiibo figure that I didn't buy, but the fact that she got one at all is kind of nuts. I think she's a lot more likely to play a role than Lyle is just because of how hard they pushed her as a major character in Happy Home Designer.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
She's the only AC amiibo figure that I didn't buy, but the fact that she got one at all is kind of nuts. I think she's a lot more likely to play a role than Lyle is just because of how hard they pushed her as a major character in Happy Home Designer.
She's also the main face of HHA in Pocket Camp too. Lyle has been dethroned.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Sable still doesn't have one :/

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
From the japanese website, there are
this tent I don't recognize :
animal-crossing-new-horizons-japanese-website-screenshot-19.jpg

And this building near the Able Sisters I also don't recognize :
animal-crossing-new-horizons-japanese-website-screenshot-21.jpg

Any idea ?

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
From the japanese website, there are
this tent I don't recognize :
animal-crossing-new-horizons-japanese-website-screenshot-19.jpg

And this building near the Able Sisters I also don't recognize :
animal-crossing-new-horizons-japanese-website-screenshot-21.jpg

Any idea ?
That's an upgraded Nookling store.

Shop in Summer:
Bi1n0QR.jpg

Shop around Halloween:
NyvU12P.jpg

It seems to be an upgraded Nookling shop based on the sign board, drop-off box, and mop bucket being carried over from the first version. I like how they decorate the shops for the seasons, but it's gonna be something you like never see if upgrading the shops is as quick as it was in previous games, heh.
VFWPIwS.jpg

The tent is Blathers' pre-museum tent.

dsripley

Sep 24, 2019
I played the demo yesterday and my theory is that the lab in the bug area of the museum belongs to Nat. I think I saw a picture of him in there. Could mean that he's researching something there and will still be in the game, or maybe was just an easter egg, I'm not sure. I asked the rep if he knew what personality type the new horse Reneigh is and he said he didn't know. I didn't really find out anything new from the demo but it was still really fun!

Oct 28, 2017
I played the demo yesterday and my theory is that the lab in the bug area of the museum belongs to Nat. I think I saw a picture of him in there. Could mean that he's researching something there and will still be in the game, or maybe was just an easter egg, I'm not sure. I asked the rep if he knew what personality type the new horse Reneigh is and he said he didn't know. I didn't really find out anything new from the demo but it was still really fun!
If that theory about always starting with a Jock and an Uchi is true, she's an Uchi. Nice of you to try and get confirmation anyway. I kind of want to have Cherry/Cheri and Renée/Reneigh in my town in the endgame now.

Lirose

May 30, 2018

That is very interesting that you saw a picture of Nat in there. I was also thinking that maybe Nat would the one in that lab since it looks to be next to the insect display. Perhaps Chip will have a similar thing in the fish area, maybe.