• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When do you expect the Animal Crossing Direct?

• February 5th or 6th

Votes: 58 6.6%
  • February 12th or 13th

Votes: 119 13.5%
  • February 19th or 20th

Votes: 297 33.7%
  • Later Feburary

Votes: 123 13.9%
  • Early March

Votes: 127 14.4%
  • No Direct

Votes: 158 17.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
I have a question if I buy this game digitally and I have 2 switches can me and my wife have different islands if we use 2 seperate switches ?

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
didnt the DLC part get removed from its rating?
it's back and on the eshop page right now :/

QOQ3POc.png

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Animal crossing is all about being able to build up your town, house, etc in your own way, and yet people are against customizing.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't there a way to play online with shared games still though? They couldn't do local wireless, but over the internet could potentially still work.
Maybe? I don't know. I looked into getting a switch lite for this game and sharing a digital version between the two consoles, but people were saying you can't be online with both at the same time if you're doing this.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
With all the customization talk, now I ask myself if the villager voice can be changed anytime or not
Villager voice? Other than the funky victory call sound they used to make when catching a fish in the original game the player character has never had a voice. If you're talking about animalese, that would be nice. For some reason New Leaf removed the option to have villagers speak in bebelese or be silent, which never made sense to me.

Last edited:

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Could we hold the "I'm so sad this isn't coming back" talk until we actually know if it isn't coming back? We barely know what the game has in store for us. We didn't even know if the Museum was coming back until last week! THE MUSEUM!

Also, I understand that Shampoodle was a cute gimmick and people liked it, but I thought it was super annoying that you had to answer some random questions and you could end up with an ugly-ass haircut that you couldn't change until the next day. No thank you. This is way better.

I don't see why they couldn't have Shampoodle bring up the same interface. Best of both worlds and makes a bit more sense than changing your entire appearance, genetics and all, using some flimsy mirror (at least there's some logic to Harriet's machine causing that level of change).

Mind you maybe it's still in the game. We haven't seen Mii masks yet have we?

Donizetty

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Mexico
Villager voice? Other than the funky victory call sound they used to make when catching a fish in the original game the player character has never had a voice. If you're talking about animalese, that would be nice. For some reason New Leaf removed the option to have villagers speak in bebelese or be silent, which never made sense to me.
In every AC game, when you write, your villager pronounces the letters you write. That voice is different if the char is male o female

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
In every AC game, when you write, your villager pronounces the letters you write. That voice is different if the char is male o female

Oh right, this was a thing. I did notice in the direct during the postal service demonstration, you can hear what sounds like an effeminate voice when the player is writing the letter. However, I have noticed that at least in the case of male animal villagers, their voices are a lot more higher pitched than they've been in the past.

Perhaps voices won't be made to be distinctly masculine or feminine for the villager and (non cranky) animal villagers?

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
If they were to add farming elements, I agree with people before who brought up the idea of a greenhouse. I think if you were able to plant crops anywhere, a lot of people would feel like they'd need to devote a bunch of space in their town to do so, and it would ultimately cramp people's artistic styles. But just having it locked into a greenhouse means everyone is free to farm while maintaining whatever town aesthetic they'd like.

But even without adding full blown farming, I'd like it if they'd even just expand the types of fruits beyond just trees. Let us have strawberry bushes or grape vines or pumpkin patches. Just more variety among plant life to spruce up our towns with. Similarly give us more types of trees and bushes. They keep adding new types of flowers, so why do we need to be stuck with only three types of tree designs? Give us willow trees, magnolia trees, Italian cypresses, give us jacarandas that bloom blue in the fall, eucalyptus trees with the white bark, crepe myrtles with multiple different color options. Just give us more than only generic leafy tree, pine tree, and palm tree, lol.

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they were to add farming elements, I agree with people before who brought up the idea of a greenhouse. I think if you were able to plant crops anywhere, a lot of people would feel like they'd need to devote a bunch of space in their town to do so, and it would ultimately cramp people's artistic styles. But just having it locked into a greenhouse means everyone is free to farm while maintaining whatever town aesthetic they'd like.

I previously mentioned that having a garden upgrade for your house would be the best way to implement a very basic farming element for a much larger cooking mechanic; you get a set number of planters that can reproduce one ingredient each, dependent upon the season. Upgrades to the yard would add more planters, spots for trees (or, as you suggested, bushes) and eventually enclose everything in a greenhouse, removing the seasonal nature and allowing you to grow out of season ingredients.

I hesitate to call it a farming mechanic though, because that makes people think of Harvest Moon / Stardew Valley; it would be more about reliably getting ingredients for a cooking system, which would be built upon the elements Animal Crossing already supports; foraging for ingredients, getting recipes / ingredients from neighbors, exchanging food as gifts and decor items, etc.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I don't see why they couldn't have Shampoodle bring up the same interface. Best of both worlds and makes a bit more sense than changing your entire appearance, genetics and all, using some flimsy mirror (at least there's some logic to Harriet's machine causing that level of change).

Oh no, I hope Shampoodle is back, I'm just glad changing your appearance isn't tied to it anymore. I was thinking maybe you can get special haircuts or hair colors there that you can't get in your own room, so there's still a purpose to it.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who hates randomized shit and prefers being able to pick my stuff, I'm happy to see that gone. All your randomization does is make me repeat the same thing over and over again until I get what I want.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't there a way to play online with shared games still though? They couldn't do local wireless, but over the internet could potentially still work.

Yes, me and my brother did this for Smash. I set my account as primary on his system after de-registering it as primary from my system via eShop.

I require an online check every time I start a game, he can play it offline without a check. I can do local wireless with other people, he cannot. We can both play online at the same time.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no, I hope Shampoodle is back, I'm just glad changing your appearance isn't tied to it anymore. I was thinking maybe you can get special haircuts or hair colors there that you can't get in your own room, so there's still a purpose to it.

It would make sense to me to have new hairstyles available at Shampoodle first. You would have to unlock them to have them available at your mirror.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Maybe? I don't know. I looked into getting a switch lite for this game and sharing a digital version between the two consoles, but people were saying you can't be online with both at the same time if you're doing this.

I game share with my partner all of the time, we've always been able to play with each other over the internet. You can't both use the same account but that much is obvious.

though local play doesn't work for some reason with shared games, we can't connect on Pokémon or anything else when next to each other, has to be online.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
When some gaming podcast you listen to refer to Animal Crossing as for "manbabies"

tenor.gif

Seriously don't be a Nintendo podcast if you're going to trash Animal Crossing

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
Game Xplain I think. Don't know if it was ironically, but 2/3 of the hosts were like "Naaah man it's not for meeee"

Switched off in disgust

Oh yeah none of the gamexplain crew really like animal crossing so that sort of explains it.
Did they really say it was for manbabies though? I'm guessing that must have been some kind of joke.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
though local play doesn't work for some reason with shared games, we can't connect on Pokémon or anything else when next to each other, has to be online.

The person that has the primary account on there system cannot play locally. But the person who de-registered the primary account but is still using that account for games on their own system, can play locally.

Not sure why it works like that, but yeah.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
I don't think any of us would call it a game for manbabies? That just isn't the attitude of anyone on the channel and can't imagine it came from our podcast

While it's true we have people on staff who don't care much for Animal Crossing, we've kept them distant from AC coverage outside of voicing scripts written by others. Daan's a mega fan and has written all the analysis videos

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I don't think any of us would call it a game for manbabies? That just isn't the attitude of anyone on the channel and can't imagine it came from our podcast

While it's true we have people on staff who don't care much for Animal Crossing, we've kept them distant from AC coverage outside of voicing scripts written by others. Daan's a mega fan and has written all the analysis videos
In fairness, it may have been another podcast, I flick through a few on my morning commute :)

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
I think they should just not talk about those topics, if they're not intersted
They do have a person around who can take the lead on Animal Crossing with BellAim though, and maybe Steve as well. But instead, they put BellAim in videos she has absolutely no knowledge of, like a FF7R discussion( where she hadn't really played FF7, and she didn't seem to have much familiarity with FF in general) ...

It's just like..

????

Like, I get she has some sort of connection with Derrick. But they keep putting her in a context, where she really can't say anything other then agree with people around her. It really makes her a little bit grating. But why don't they give her a voice and have her lead coverage, because it is a series she has a lot of familiarity with. It would be really nice to get some female representation in GX, but I don't think it really has been done right. I really think if BellAime is going to stick around, she should take the lead covering some games. I think Animal Crossing should be that game.

Salamiaddict

May 15, 2018
Northern Germany
They do have a person around who can take the lead on Animal Crossing with BellAim though, and maybe Steve as well. But instead, they put BellAim in videos she has absolutely no knowledge of, like a FF7R discussion( where she hadn't really played FF7, and she didn't seem to have much familiarity with FF in general) ...

It's just like..

????

Like, I get she has some sort of connection with Derrick. But they keep putting her in a context, where she really can't say anything other then agree with people around her. It really makes her a little bit grating. But why don't they give her a voice and have her lead coverage, because it is a series she has a lot of familiarity with. It would be really nice to get some female representation in GX, but I don't think it really has been done right. I really think if BellAime is going to stick around, she should take the lead covering some games. I think Animal Crossing should be that game.
this, basically. She has a fresh new point of view which is severely needed and yet they are not using it right. maybe she doesn't want to, but then, what's the point?!

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Everyone has their hopes and holdouts for NPCs, and this one is mine. Picking up a shift always had me coming back in New Leaf, and I will super miss having that chill coffee shop time as part of my daily tasks if he doesn't come back for New Horizons.
I mean, we only know KK Slider is in because of the corner of one moment of one video.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, we only know KK Slider is in because of the corner of one moment of one video.

Oh yeah, I'm not despairing yet since there's going to be an immense amount of content we won't know about until the game is in our hands or a guide leaks early. Just that out of all of the aspects of Animal Crossing life I really want to see back from previous entries, Brewser's cafe was the one I had hoped to see return and be expanded upon.

Salamiaddict

May 15, 2018
Northern Germany
I haven't been enjoying their analysis videos lately. Possibly because I've switched to utilizing Reddit or ResetEra as primary sources of speculatory info. It feels more community-oriented rather than following a trend.
I used to watch everything they put out religiously, because I loved their point of view or what they had to say about a certain topic. Lately they just seem to check off a list and make a quick video. I really miss their discussions and opinions about things. I have no one to get hyped with anymore...

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Oh yeah, I'm not despairing yet since there's going to be an immense amount of content we won't know about until the game is in our hands or a guide leaks early. Just that out of all of the aspects of Animal Crossing life I really want to see back from previous entries, Brewser's cafe was the one I had hoped to see return and be expanded upon.
Brewster's Cafe music is way deeper than music from a game about making friends with horses and rabbits has any right to be

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I heard about that. Really great series. But I heard it's a bit sterile overall.
(The Home Menus icon is KILLING me)
I'd like this if I could :3

Nomtondo tell me about that golden printer cartridge currency dangit! Also, release something new please!

In unrelated news, I found my 3DS and started up ACNL and remembered how much I _loved_ the German translations and how much I _hated_ the German villager names. Now I have 23 days to decide if I wanna play in English or German -.-

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019

Nomtondo tell me about that golden printer cartridge currency dangit! Also, release something new please!

In unrelated news, I found my 3DS and started up ACNL and remembered how much I _loved_ the German translations and how much I _hated_ the German villager names. Now I have 23 days to decide if I wanna play in English or German -.-

golden printer cartridge? I feel like I missed something

Salamiaddict

May 15, 2018
Northern Germany

The German names are adorable. I'm glad Nintendo goes the extra mile and translates everything... #Kalle4life

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
I game share with my partner all of the time, we've always been able to play with each other over the internet. You can't both use the same account but that much is obvious.

Good to know. I'm highly considering getting that second switch now. Lol