• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When do you expect the Animal Crossing Direct?

• February 5th or 6th

Votes: 58 6.6%
  • February 12th or 13th

Votes: 119 13.5%
  • February 19th or 20th

Votes: 297 33.7%
  • Later Feburary

Votes: 123 13.9%
  • Early March

Votes: 127 14.4%
  • No Direct

Votes: 158 17.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Aya Kyogoku has said this a while back in regards to Pocket Camp and New Horizons:

The (what I assume to be first batch) items were also shown in the Direct:
hhSdSKI.png

Gotcha, thanks (I don't know how I missed that)

I'll just hold onto it for a little longer just incase.

pvin626

Nov 16, 2017
This is going to be my first Animal Crossing game I ever play! So how similar is this to Stardew Valley cause I've played that for like 10hrs.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
This is going to be my first Animal Crossing game I ever play! So how similar is this to Stardew Valley cause I've played that for like 10hrs.
Stardew Valley is more based solely on the farm itself and how your relationship with the town affects that.

Animal Crossing is much more intimate and relaxed. You don't have combat or stamina like in Stardew; you can do as much or as little as you like in a day, with no penalties or restrictions to speak of.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully there aren't some baffling limitations to the new terraforming/island customization. For example, I sincerely hope there is no arbitrary limit as to how many bridges you can have in your town, or how much water vs. land. I saw someone here (or was it reddit?) post an idea that seemed like Amsterdam/Venice/St. Petersburg with canals and bridges dominating the layout; I'd love to make something similar seeing as how those are some of my favorite cities IRL.

If not, I'll work with what I got, I just recall being annoyed that every idea I had in New Leaf was quickly shot down by Isabelle.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017

More accurate to say that Stardew Valley is more similar to Harvest Moon than Animal Crossing.

AC is much less rigid in that you're not rushed to do anything before the day is up so everything is at your own pace and you do not need to worry about stamina gauges like in Stardew.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Hopefully there aren't some baffling limitations to the new terraforming/island customization. For example, I sincerely hope there is no arbitrary limit as to how many bridges you can have in your town, or how much water vs. land. I saw someone here (or was it reddit?) post an idea that seemed like Amsterdam/Venice/St. Petersburg with canals and bridges dominating the layout; I'd love to make something similar seeing as how those are some of my favorite cities IRL.

If not, I'll work with what I got, I just recall being annoyed that every idea I had in New Leaf was quickly shot down by Isabelle.

I can see them limiting bridges and some extreme land/water issues (like you can't block off someone's house with water).

Oct 25, 2017

It totally sounds like something they'd do. Include an awesome tool for creation only to put a bunch of limits on what you can actually do with it.

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
So how does the game decide if you are in north/south hemisphere?

Do we select it in the menu at the start of the game, or is it based on your console region settings?

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can see them limiting bridges and some extreme land/water issues (like you can't block off someone's house with water).

I'm sure there's a limit as to how much land you can remove to not mess with the game's integral vibe and development plans (new shops, renovations, leaving room for new players, etc.) , but I hope that the number isn't something that basically limits you to two small ponds and a river, or something.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Damn, replayed Pocket Camp for a bit because I'll want the exclusive items, damn it really went full gacha since the last time I played.

Last edited:

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
As an early adopter of PC it made me question if I even liked the series. I played every day for a month for the stupid login bonuses.

PC is so soulless. It hurts to even think about.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Does anyone have a link to that Character Customization image we saw last week? The one you see when you start the game and you can select some features of the player character?

Found it.

Last edited:

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Gonna be honest, in NL after I completed the deep-sea diving museum stuff I never went back to swimming. The feature was neat for like a few hours.

So if it is gone from NH I wouldn't care too much, except with the terraforming stuff I could see people making island towns or pools where you have to swim and that would be rad.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be honest, in NL after I completed the deep-sea diving museum stuff I never went back to swimming. The feature was neat for like a few hours.

So if it is gone from NH I wouldn't care too much, except with the terraforming stuff I could see people making island towns or pools where you have to swim and that would be rad.

They've shown the flippers already so I think swimming is in.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I hope swimming is in even though I barely did it in New Leaf, just because it's a nice sense of freedom. Plus it just makes sense for an island paradise.

Also I just got super hyped thinking about Gulliver's items this time around. You'll be able to put the Moai head outdoors where it'll fit perfectly, for once! Hope they add even more fun "ruin" type items.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
You can't make an AC game that is 100% surrounded by beach and NOT have swimming. Especially when EVERY promotional trailer or gallery has beach-shots. So much beach-time means you for sure can swim.

c'mon y'all.

wildbite

Oct 26, 2017
I hope swimming is in even though I barely did it in New Leaf, just because it's a nice sense of freedom. Plus it just makes sense for an island paradise.

Also I just got super hyped thinking about Gulliver's items this time around. You'll be able to put the Moai head outdoors where it'll fit perfectly, for once! Hope they add even more fun "ruin" type items.
You can't make an AC game that is 100% surrounded by beach and NOT have swimming. Especially when EVERY promotional trailer or gallery has beach-shots. So much beach-time means you for sure can swim.
c'mon y'all.

I was wondering why the previews didn't mention swimming. I was thinking my first instinct on an island would be to jump in the ocean but then realized in the first 45 min, you won't have a wet suit which is probably the requirement for swimming again.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
In New Leaf, were the diving creatures included with the fish in the encyclopedia or were they in their own tab? Because we've seen the critter encyclopedia screen for NH, and it only has two tabs, one for bugs and one for fish.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand

They will 100% need to limit it.
No game supports an infinite number of objects. (Minecraft etc aside)
I would say somewhere around 10 bridges is probably an acceptable limit.

Terraforming I would think is okay, but maybe there are some restrictions based on pathfinding, minimum amount of land, etc etc.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
In New Leaf, were the diving creatures included with the fish in the encyclopedia or were they in their own tab? Because we've seen the critter encyclopedia screen for NH, and it only has two tabs, one for bugs and one for fish.
They had their own tab.

y'all we didn't have "confirmation" of the museum until a few days ago. Some stuff is just gonna remain under wraps.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Terraforming I would think is okay, but maybe there are some restrictions based on pathfinding, minimum amount of land, etc etc.

I understand certain limitations, in particular landmass. But why limit the amount of bridges if a player wants them in his/her town? I don't see how that would lessen the experience intended by the developers.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I understand certain limitations, in particular landmass. But why limit the amount of bridges if a player wants them in his/her town? I don't see how that would lessen the experience intended by the developers.
Its not about lessening the experience, its about performance. Number of objects on screen is a big concern when tuning performance, and one of the best ways to control that is by limiting the number of objects or type of objects that a player can build.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017

I wonder how they'd communicate limits if they're in place?

If they were restricting bridges wouldn't they also put restrictions on items on the ground? I don't see much of a difference between the two technically. If the user places a bridge is it really that different from them perhaps filling it with turf and putting a small fenced garden, etc. I assume it's all just geometry, and a bridge at least has the advantage of not being interactable, no animations, etc.

My personal guess is there aren't limits beyond usable tiles. They've likely designed a game where it's ok to fill every tile on screen with something and have it run without issue. There might be cases that cause slowdown like a field of Gyroids or other animated things, but I doubt it's restricted.

Last edited:

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Because it tends to be pretty easy to guess what gender and sometimes even what personality a villager will have based on design tropes that have been common since the first game. There are some occasional curveballs, but did anyone really see that design and not figure the sheep was probably going to be peppy or normal with those eyes and smile?