• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When do you expect the Animal Crossing Direct?

• February 5th or 6th

Votes: 58 6.6%
  • February 12th or 13th

Votes: 119 13.5%
  • February 19th or 20th

Votes: 297 33.7%
  • Later Feburary

Votes: 123 13.9%
  • Early March

Votes: 127 14.4%
  • No Direct

Votes: 158 17.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 28, 2017
Who ever thought of the 20th and voted for it well done! :D
No brainer, it is exactly one month before release. That's the same timing as the New Leaf Direct, based on that alone it was a smart move to pick the 20th. There's also some kind of embargo on media lifting that day (second/third party merchandise pictures?). Plus, it is the last Thursday available before pax east starts. Add that in with insiders basically saying they're focusing on Animal Crossing and ignoring other franchises right now and it all adds up if you're a freak who scours every corner of the internet looking for any piece of news about the game... like me.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
I'll take any fruit except Peaches, but I would prefer Pears or Cherries, since I've never had them before.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
My original fruit on Gamecube was cherries so I'll be pretty nostalgic if I get those again.

Oranges would be neat.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They look like butts though...
giphy.gif

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Cherries where my first fruit. The only other Animal Crossing game I've played was City Folk on the Wii.

I cannot believe it's been twelve years since I last played a game from this series. I never played the original GC release or the 3DS New Leaf game. So I guess this will be a substantial jump in terms of content and whatever other innovations the AC titles had I didn't experience over the years.

I am greatly looking forward to the game and will enjoy watching the Direct.

Salamiaddict

May 15, 2018
Northern Germany
Let me ask you something. Maybe it's not known yet, but is there some kind of online hub in Animal Crossing? Or do you always have to have special friends to play with?
Hey, maybe the game uses the new invitation feature of Switch OS?!

Oct 28, 2017
Let me ask you something. Maybe it's not known yet, but is there some kind of online hub in Animal Crossing? Or do you always have to have special friends to play with?
Hey, maybe the game uses the new invitation feature of Switch OS?!
There isn't usually an online hub in the traditional sense. In the last mainline game, there was the ability to meet up with players from all over the world randomly online, but it was restricted to the island area and activities. The online functionality of this game hasn't been revealed yet. It has traditionally been best to only play with people you trust because it is very easy to have all your hard work wrecked in moments if you accidentally invite a hacker or a troll, or even just someone who's a little incautious about where they run.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
I've had pears in New Leaf. I wouldn't mind any of the fruit.

I hope grass decay is gone. Let me run!

Namea

Dec 2, 2017
Huh? How does that completely ruin the immersive aspects of you (who in real life are able to change your name, which is much easier than getting plastic surgery to change your eyes/nose may I add) landing on a deserted island (which you name, and it's not like cities/towns/islands have never changed their names in real life)?
Ummm, I didn't mean to offend you, but choosing "your name" and sticking with it has always been a thing in video games.

Salamiaddict

May 15, 2018
Northern Germany
There isn't usually an online hub in the traditional sense. In the last mainline game, there was the ability to meet up with players from all over the world randomly online, but it was restricted to the island area and activities. The online functionality of this game hasn't been revealed yet. It has traditionally been best to only play with people you trust because it is very easy to have all your hard work wrecked in moments if you accidentally invite a hacker or a troll, or even just someone who's a little incautious about where they run.
Oh okay, thanks. Then I guess it's people from the Discord or playing alone ... forever ^^

Jun 22, 2019
Ummm, I didn't mean to offend you, but choosing "your name" and sticking with it has always been a thing in video games.

I'm aware.
I'm not offended, I have simply never heard anyone claim that being able to change your name in a video game "completely ruins immersive aspects" before. Please elaborate as to why you think this.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i haven't watched the gameexplain video but more often than not these nintendo focused channels have probably the worst understanding of why nintendo games work and want them to change into something completely different.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
i haven't watched the gameexplain video but more often than not these nintendo focused channels have probably the worst understanding of why nintendo games work and want them to change into something completely different.
Having just finished the prediction video, I would say this is 100% accurate.

Usually I like GE videos, but I guess those are primarily ones that examine official media. This one was not my cup of tea at all.

Namea

Dec 2, 2017
I'm not offended, I have simply never heard anyone claim that being able to change your name in a video game "completely ruins immersive aspects" before. Please elaborate as to why you think this.
Oh, I see! Sorry, I gotcha. I'm not a native speaker, so pardon me in case my answer isn't worded perfectly.

Well, I wasn't speaking about "my immersion" as such. I was more trying to describe Nintendo's idea of wanting players to create a world. The names are the fundament of your save file (insert talk about the meaning of variables in programming) and anything you're going to do in the future. That's where it all begins.

It's true that you can change your name in real life, but (from what I know, I never took a deeper look into this topic) you can't do it whenever you feel like it, as if you were making a cup of coffee. You have to submit an application, you have to wait, you have to pay money for it (at least where I live) and you can't do it as often as you like. I guess in the end it comes down to the value that names have in our society. What's the first thing you exchange with a stranger whom you want to get to know better? It'll probably be the name and/or where you come from.

Being able to change the character's or the place's name whenever you want would change the way a lot of people look at their game, likely to affect their attachment to it (which is part of the whole Animal Crossing experience), making the world feel less personal and unique. The names would become "yet another option" you can customize at any time, turning even the last bit of the game into something arbitrary.

While that may be nice for people who later regret their choices or who just like to mess around in general, it'd take away this element of a consistent world that you're being thrown into. Sure, cities/towns/islands may have changed their names, but I'm quite sure people had a lot of different opinions about that as well and just imagine the name of the place you live in changing randomly all the time...

If we're talking about an option to change it once (maybe I should've asked about that first lol) or just once within a certain period of time, it'd be different because that'd mean you still have to put some effort into whatever you come up with. I wouldn't say anything against that.

Edit: I may have gotten a bit carried away here... Basically, tl;dr: Names and their role in identification and emotional attachment.

Last edited:

Trrzs

Oct 29, 2017
I'm trying to get ready some of my diorama figures for tomorrow's Direct when half Twitter will be talking about the game. I'll start with Tommy (or maybe Timmy), I would like to have Isabelle ready for tomorrow but I want her to be perfect and being in a hurry won't help. Here's a little teaser.

ERIg4PfX0AAMCoY.jpg:large

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, I see! Sorry, I gotcha. I'm not a native speaker, so pardon me in case my answer isn't worded perfectly.

Well, I wasn't speaking about "my immersion" as such. I was more trying to describe Nintendo's idea of wanting players to create a world. The names are the fundament of your save file (insert talk about the meaning of variables in programming) and anything you're going to do in the future. That's where it all begins.

It's true that you can change your name in real life, but (from what I know, I never took a deeper look into this topic) you can't do it whenever you feel like it, as if you were making a cup of coffee. You have to submit an application, you have to wait, you have to pay money for it (at least where I live) and you can't do it as often as you like. I guess in the end it comes down to the value that names have in our society. What's the first thing you exchange with a stranger whom you want to get to know better? It'll probably be the name and/or where you come from.

Being able to change the character's or the place's name whenever you want would change the way a lot of people look at their game, likely to affect their attachment to it (which is part of the whole Animal Crossing experience), making the world feel less personal and unique. The names would become "yet another option" you can customize at any time, turning even the last bit of the game into something arbitrary.

While that may be nice for people who later regret their choices or who just like to mess around in general, it'd take away this element of a consistent world that you're being thrown into. Sure, cities/towns/islands may have changed their names, but I'm quite sure people had a lot of different opinions about that as well and just imagine the name of the place you live in changing randomly all the time...

If we're talking about an option to change it once (maybe I should've asked about that first lol) or just once within a certain period of time, it'd be different because that'd mean you still have to put some effort into whatever you come up with. I wouldn't say anything against that.

Edit: I may have gotten a bit carried away here... Basically, tl;dr: Names and their role in identification and emotional attachment.
I think honestly it is simpler than this. There are people who delight in deliberately wrecking other players save files in Animal Crossing and similar games. An unchangable name, island name and friend code provide a unique ID that players can use to blacklist those who have malicious intent.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure I had oranges in New Leaf so something different would be nice, but I ain't picky.

Namea

Dec 2, 2017
Bonus Question: What do you want to see most from the AC:NH Direct?
I'd definitely like to see some clarification about the whole topic of in-game purchases. Some info about amiibo functionality and/or downloadable content. Then there's the thing with the save files. I'm curious about the stamina system, if there's more to it or if we're just gonna eat a piece of fruit now and then. Oh yeah, and what we can expect from the design function! Especially if custom paths will make a return.

I think honestly it is simpler than this. There are people who delight in deliberately wrecking other players save files in Animal Crossing and similar games. An unchangable name, island name and friend code provide a unique ID that players can use to blacklist those who have malicious intent.
True, I haven't even thought about that after getting lost in my ramblings lol... It makes sense to just lock these people out.

To clarify because I don't want to make a new post:
I didn't mean to imply Nintendo doesn't allow name changes simply or solely because of immersive reasons.
Just brought that up because it's another aspect on the list that wouldn't mix well with the general intention of the series.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to get ready some of my diorama figures for tomorrow's Direct when half Twitter will be talking about the game. I'll start with Tommy (or maybe Timmy), I would like to have Isabelle ready for tomorrow but I want her to be perfect and being in a hurry won't help. Here's a little teaser.

That looks really good! Good job

Philia

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot what was my fruit was in WW or City Folk but I have peaches in NL. I wouldn't mind anything different this year.

xLemonNaDe

Sep 25, 2019
As someone who never played a mainline Animal Crossing game but always loved the charm of the series: My body is ready.

Lemrik

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I got apples in EVERY SINGLE Animal Crossing game. So something different would be nice.
Cherries would be great

shoyz

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
As someone that always started with apples and didn't realize it was possible to start with something other than apples, I had better start with apples again. I can't even imagine an animal crossing town where a luxury fruit like peaches are only worth 100 bells and apples are 500. That's crazy town.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Y'know, I don't think I've ever had apples before. Not once. It's weird because, in my head, they're pretty much the default fruit option, along with cherries.

That being said, I'm partial to the pears, both in real life and in Animal Crossing. So I'll take either of the two and be happy.

Speaking of the cherries, though, is it just me or do they... not look so hot, at least in their official render? Maybe it's because they're the only fruit unfortunate enough to be totally smooth.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I had Cherries in New Leaf. I don't mind what I get to be honest. I don't really dislike any fruit, but I'd say Cherries, Peaches or Oranges would be my preference.

Tonswelt

Aug 25, 2018
Germany
Cherries or oranges are the only fruits I'll accept in my town.
I think everytime the GameXplain crew talks about Animal Crossing gets kind of weird, since none of them seem to be that invested in the whole franchise. I had that feeling for years and I'm... "glad" others seem to feel that way too?

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Cherries or oranges are the only fruits I'll accept in my town.
I think everytime the GameXplain crew talks about Animal Crossing gets kind of weird, since none of them seem to be that invested in the whole franchise. I had that feeling for years and I'm... "glad" others seem to feel that way too?
Yet they did manage to talk for nearly an hour about a <30-minute Direct, so that's... something, though I think it attests more to how voluble they are, rather than to their interest in the series.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
The GameExplain prediction video is kinda weird. They're incorrectly remembering a lot of things.

It's a series that spans 20 years and nearly 8 since the last installment. Our memories aren't infallible, but I don't think we got that much wrong that wasn't instantly corrected by someone else? I've personally played every one of the games (I had a 2 month long New Leaf series on the channel!), though Daan and Steve are the real superfans of the group.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure I had oranges in New Leaf so something different would be nice, but I ain't picky.

I started with oranges in NL as well, but probably had most of the other fruit within a couple weeks. Between sharing with my wife (she started with peaches), letters from my mom, and the island games, it wasn't too difficult to load up on everything. The island games really gave you a lot of variety and it was nice that you could remove the fruit from the islands.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing about New Horizons I'm not looking forward to is making patterns on the touch screen, as opposed to making them in photoshop and using a program to convert it into an Animal Crossing QR code. I wish the Switch had a non-IR camera :(

Maybe we can use the smartphone app?

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
It's a series that spans 20 years and nearly 8 since the last installment. Our memories aren't infallible, but I don't think we got that much wrong that wasn't instantly corrected by someone else? I've personally played every one of the games (I had a 2 month long New Leaf series on the channel!), though Daan and Steve are the real superfans of the group.
I probably reacted that way because the video wasn't as precise with information as they usually are.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA

Sculpey?

I used to love when we got to play with that in art class way back in high school.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I started with oranges in NL as well, but probably had most of the other fruit within a couple weeks. Between sharing with my wife (she started with peaches), letters from my mom, and the island games, it wasn't too difficult to load up on everything. The island games really gave you a lot of variety and it was nice that you could remove the fruit from the islands.
IIRC your native fruit was the only one you could grow a perfect variety of so there is a little incentive to have a particular starting fruit.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017

That's so damn cute.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Knowing this game is 4 weeks away this week is so exciting. I've been replaying New Leaf to get myself back into the schedule of lunch time and nightly animal crossing sessions. It has been a ton of fun!

Yeah im pretty excited too. Typically I"d be wasting money on games to scratch that "new game itch" as I wait, but I'm being good and just dipping back into some that I've not touched in ages.
With a couple of tram journeys a day and a typically dull lunch to fill I can"t wait.

Fabulous stuff!!