• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When do you expect the Animal Crossing Direct?

• February 5th or 6th

Votes: 58 6.6%
  • February 12th or 13th

Votes: 119 13.5%
  • February 19th or 20th

Votes: 297 33.7%
  • Later Feburary

Votes: 123 13.9%
  • Early March

Votes: 127 14.4%
  • No Direct

Votes: 158 17.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 22, 2019
It just better not take forever to get a rod and net I swear to god.
Animal Crossing is painful when you see bugs/fish and can't catch them.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Why bother with turnips when beetles are all night every night?

I'm probably gonna be a foreign fruit baron again, unless there's a new revenue stream. Turnips just epitomized my terrible luck.
That's how I did it. Getting lucky with turnips was fun but getting like a guaranteed 800k+ a night was more than enough for house expansions and public works.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
That's how I did it. Getting lucky with turnips was fun but getting like a guaranteed 800k+ a night was more than enough for house expansions and public works.
Unfortunately it immediately ruined any sense of economy in the game, but that's been the case ever since post-GC game as online multiplayer inherently lends itself to wealth being easy to attain.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Unfortunately it immediately ruined any sense of economy in the game, but that's been the case ever since post-GC game as online multiplayer inherently lends itself to wealth being easy to attain.
I'd visit some absolute ballers in New Leaf, but would only ever accept stuff like duped 7-Eleven/region specific furniture or a nice bowl of perfect fruit.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
In college I played hours and hours of Wild World with my friend Jordan. He's since passed away. Gonna be bittersweet playing this new one without him ever being able to visit my town or brag about his bug collection and stuff.
How lovely you've got those memories with him. Maybe name your town in his honour?

Jun 2, 2019
Late to the discussion I guess, but Stardew Valley is a game you need to tame before it becomes enjoyable. You need to reach a certain grade of automatization before in becomes a relaxing game.

It's enjoyable before that, but for that you have to enjoy the farming gameplay, and not bite more than you can chew. Not a game I would recommend to people that mostly enjoys the relaxing pace of Animal Crossing games.

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
More Gay would be nice
How do you introduce More Gay into a setting where everyone barely even seems to comprehend the concept of romance, though?

Clearly we need to *cough* cross new horizons.

213_200131_NSW_Animal-Crossing-New-Horizons_Characters-26-790x790.png

More Trans

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, I don't want any kind of sex in Animal Crossing. We won't have time for it in my upcoming town. There's work to be done.

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I don't want any kind of sex in Animal Crossing. We won't have time for it in my upcoming town. There's work to be done.
I mean, gay doesn't necessarily entail sex, a person can be gay and asexual.

What I'm saying is that I'm pretty sure Animal Crossing civilians by and large can't even fully comprehend the concept of a relationship beyond general platonic friendship.

They seem kind of, uhhhhh. . .dense.

The few characters I entirely trust to understand the concept are all married to their jobs or just extremely poor fits for a normal dating regimen. Like, I have no issue assuming, say, Isabelle gets it, but she's also running on one hour of sleep a night and lucky if she hasn't had to have her contact lenses surgically removed at least once with how often she wears them and then inevitably passes out because of the above. Contrary to the fanart that earlier pages were making cracks about, I doubt she's had that kind of time since before she started college.

That work ethic syncs up well enough with our collective resolves to create banana republics on release, at least.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My biggest problem with modern Animal Crossing is efficiency at the expense of atmosphere. Since its inception Animal Crossing has been about converting minor inconvenience into gameplay: the way you have to arrange furniture like a puzzle; the way you have to buy stationary and walk to the post office to send letters, all the while having inventory space to do so. I'm sure I could think of more examples of this game design in time, but one of these principles is the concept of distraction. If you're going to the store, for instance, you used to have to walk through your town and see bugs and fish and villagers and either choose to ignore them or succumb to your curiosity. It isn't obvious, but this is gameplay! This phenomenon is resource management, your resource being time. And when you have a discrete section of the town in which you talk to the villagers, and a discrete part of town where you do all of the task-oriented market stuff, it detracts from both this element of the gameplay and the game's atmosphere.

Animal Crossing was first advertised as a "life simulation" game (or "communication simulation," as I've also seen). I am wary of the trend from New Leaf onward of leaning into the "simulation" of that descriptor while increasingly neglecting the "life" (or "communication").

Not to be too presumptuous, but I'm sure XandBosch has opinions on this school of thought, especially my last point.
I'm not sure what I can add here, other than that I agree 100%. At the risk of repeating myself, Animal Crossing has turned the focus from you interacting with the things around you - to the things around you interacting with you. The series is becoming more and more of an empty canvas and they're letting us do more and more when it comes to the customization of our overall experience. While this sounds dandy, it's come at the cost of the atmosphere of the earlier games, IMO. The Gamecube game was very much "you're new in this town, this is how we live" and you had to adapt. In the more recent games it's been the opposite.

And yeah, where I feel most strongly about this - Animals went from being these characters you wanted to interact with to characters you had to interact with. They really felt more like a necessary evil to me in New Leaf than something the devs really wanted me to spend time with, which is a huge shame. Tbh I have a feeling this isn't going to change a whole lot, but I really hope I'm wrong.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
I'm not sure what I can add here, other than that I agree 100%. At the risk of repeating myself, Animal Crossing has turned the focus from you interacting with the things around you - to the things around you interacting with you. The series is becoming more and more of an empty canvas and they're letting us do more and more when it comes to the customization of our overall experience. While this sounds dandy, it's come at the cost of the atmosphere of the earlier games, IMO. The Gamecube game was very much "you're new in this town, this is how we live" and you had to adapt. In the more recent games it's been the opposite.

And yeah, where I feel most strongly about this - Animals went from being these characters you wanted to interact with to characters you had to interact with. They really felt more like a necessary evil to me in New Leaf than something the devs really wanted me to spend time with, which is a huge shame. Tbh I have a feeling this isn't going to change a whole lot, but I really hope I'm wrong.
New Leaf was my first AC game...And honestly I loved the NPC, that's mostly why I fell in love with the game in the first place. They were all so charming, funny and well written.
I tried the older games later on and while it is true they had more "bite" I didn't find that much of a difference.
They were more things to do in NL, so maybe the focus wouldn't seem as much as usual on NPC at first but I felt that if you wanted to focus on social interactions, the game still had a ton to offer. To me it mostly felt like you had more options to handle how you wanted the experience to be.

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New Leaf was my first AC game...And honestly I loved the NPC, that's mostly why I fell in love with the game in the first place. They were all so charming, funny and well written.
I tried the older games later on and while it is true they had more "bite" I didn't find that much of a difference.
They were more things to do in NL, so maybe the focus wouldn't seem as much as usual on NPC at first but I felt that if you wanted to focus on social interactions, the game still had a ton to offer. To me it mostly felt like you had more options to handle how you wanted the experience to be.
I would definitely agree that you had more options on making the experience what you wanted it to be - but I just can't agree about the villagers. I envy you for getting into the series with New Leaf, because I wish I thought there was any depth to the social interactions.

It's not just that the villagers in say, the Gamecube version had more bite (although that dynamic is welcome), it's that they had WAY more to say, and what they had to say had WAY more depth. I could probably count the number of unique things the animals would say in New Lead on two hands. Okay, that's an exaggeration, but it honestly feels like that to me.

I was still running into new things that the animals would say in the gamecube game like years after first playing it. And they would ponder life, question the meaning of things, question coincidences, etc. In New Leaf all the the things they have to say are completely surface. "HEY WANNA WORKOUT?"

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I would definitely agree that you had more options on making the experience what you wanted it to be - but I just can't agree about the villagers. I envy you for getting into the series with New Leaf, because I wish I thought there was any depth to the social interactions.

It's not just that the villagers in say, the Gamecube version had more bite (although that dynamic is welcome), it's that they had WAY more to say, and what they had to say had WAY more depth. I could probably count the number of unique things the animals would say in New Lead on two hands. Okay, that's an exaggeration, but it honestly feels like that to me.

I was still running into new things that the animals would say in the gamecube game like years after first playing it. And they would ponder life, question the meaning of things, question coincidences, etc. In New Leaf all the the things they have to say are completely surface. "HEY WANNA WORKOUT?"
This is a good post going into why I love the Gamecube villagers. A lot of people seem to think that it's just the rude aspect people miss (which I mean, them being rude is funny) but it's so much deeper then that. They had personalities and weren't so dumbed down. Snooty villagers talked more then just makeup and fashion, jocks talked more then just sports, etc. The 6 personalities were just a base for some conversational topics but did not dictate everything they would talk about.

I am going to be so very disappointed if New Horizons fails in this aspect. Just remember that when they localised the original for Gamecube they did such a great job they got asked to translate it back for an updated Japan only re-release.

Fedele

Oct 28, 2017
My top question: will I be able to collect gyroids again?

I started playing AC on the Gamecube around 15 years ago and oh boy did I enjoy it - never actually played any of the new ones tho. Looking forward to it!

Tonswelt

Aug 25, 2018
Germany
Man, is anyone else super bummed out about the "multiple islands" hypothesis? I just want to have one town with everything in it. It'll probably end up being cool though

Multiple islands are cool, but yeah, I'd rather have the essential shops and the museum on the main island instead of having to go through a loadscreen or something every time I want to look at stuff.
I am sure there are other ways of making the other islands more interesting than forcing us to go visit them every day.

Oct 27, 2017

Cannot wait for us to learn everything about the game via Taiwanese ads.

I know it's probably a stretch, but the first thing I thought when seeing those neighbors in the center was: are they doing morning aerobics a la Gamecube? They could be just waving but I wasn't the only one (Twitter agrees! Lmao). But maybe Nintendo is listening for once.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
We need to get a discord and or Google sheets going to coordinate and rig the market. See ahead of time when might be getting those juicy big spike patterns and plan things out.
Put me in this stalk gang.
I'm liking this (s)talk of white collar crime, but I like Enduin's suggestion of a discord even more.

Do we have one yet for Animal Crossing Era?
There already is an AC Era discord. I think weemadarthur manages it?

Edit: invite link is in the community thread op.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I know it's probably a stretch, but the first thing I thought when seeing those neighbors in the center was: are they doing morning aerobics a la Gamecube? They could be just waving but I wasn't the only one (Twitter agrees! Lmao). But maybe Nintendo is listening for once.
I think they are too angled to just be waving. I am on team aerobics.

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a good post going into why I love the Gamecube villagers. A lot of people seem to think that it's just the rude aspect people miss (which I mean, them being rude is funny) but it's so much deeper then that. They had personalities and weren't so dumbed down. Snooty villagers talked more then just makeup and fashion, jocks talked more then just sports, etc. The 6 personalities were just a base for some conversational topics but did not dictate everything they would talk about.

I am going to be so very disappointed if New Horizons fails in this aspect. Just remember that when they localised the original for Gamecube they did such a great job they got asked to translate it back for an updated Japan only re-release.
Agreed on all accounts.

And I did NOT know that about the Gamecube version - how cool is that!

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Tinkered with my real-time music player website today and added both the Gamecube game and City Folk as options. Plus on certain days, special events will happen.

Animal Crossing Realtime Music Player

(I still plan to replace every video with my own highest-quality possible rips from the raw files, but that's a longer job)

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
Tinkered with my real-time music player website today and added both the Gamecube game and City Folk as options. Plus on certain days, special events will happen.

Animal Crossing Realtime Music Player

(I still plan to replace every video with my own highest-quality possible rips from the raw files, but that's a longer job)

Thank you for fixing the time discrepancy. This is almost as useful as the Switch Icon Showdown website.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Agreed on all accounts.

And I did NOT know that about the Gamecube version - how cool is that!
Was playing Saturday and finally noticed Bill Trinen (and like 3 others) were the localization team. Go Bill!
I just wanted to post the Meadows scene clip, really. My thread about that comparison was initially about how multiplayer was implemented... And that's pretty much what we're looking at transpiring, but in the most Nintendo way possible. You can finally play with the same people in your town, but much more compromised than MP in Stardew.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
If you fancy something to do between now and New Horizons, a first patch for Doubutsu no Mori e+ has been released.

gbatemp.net

Animal Crossing e+ English fan translation project releases its first public patch

[ATTACH] Animal Crossing has a storied history, originally beginning as a Japanese-only Nintendo 64 game called Doubutsu no Mori, or, as it's more...

I love the Town Decorations feature, which we didn't really see again until New Leaf. And I am sure New Leaf is still missing some of the ones listed on this page..?