• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When do you expect the Animal Crossing Direct?

• February 5th or 6th

Votes: 58 6.6%
  • February 12th or 13th

Votes: 119 13.5%
  • February 19th or 20th

Votes: 297 33.7%
  • Later Feburary

Votes: 123 13.9%
  • Early March

Votes: 127 14.4%
  • No Direct

Votes: 158 17.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
I really do need to think about a new town name. They've all just been Canadian cities so far, need to use my imagination a little bit more.

As for villagers, I actually hope I get ones I've never met before. I love Kabuki and Marshal the most but I feel like they were specifically part of my New Leaf experience and I'm not sure it's feel the same in NH

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they reform villagers a bit. I mainly want to be able to kidnap them so they don't leave me. You know, normal Animal Crossing things.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
My island will be called Cabeswater. It's the name of a magic forest in my favorite book series of all time and it has a nice ring to it.

I'm super excited about the game! It's almost here and I can't wait to lose myself in one of these again.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
With the amount of customization in this game, I'm sure you could easily create a cozy forest within the island!

I'd also like to direct everyone's attention to the back of the stunning AC Switch console (hope nobody minds me posting a NSFW image):

8-5.jpg

Notice—there are no less than seven islands represented on the back, all separated by a contiguous body of water. And hey, there's a sailboat too!

Now, let's take a gander at this particular section of the cover art:

images

And, of course, the title of the game itself: New Horizons. Plural!

This has been my grand conspiracy ever since they first unveiled the game at E3, but at this point I'm totally convinced: there will be multiple islands. And if that's the case, it stands to reason that each island will have some unique characteristic or attribute to justify its existence.

This is all just a very long-winded way of saying that I would not be surprised if there's a dedicated forest island for us to explore.
I saw a video about this yesterday. I hope it's true. Having some themed islands would be cool and would allow for some interesting things. More Villagers to interact with potentially. Perpetual seasons in certain islands could be a boon for many. Getting that last fish or bug you missed when in season. Just being able to experience a season whenever you want. Plus who knows what other unique features and elements they could have.

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
It was my most anticipated game of 2019 and is currently my most anticipated game for 2020.
I need it so bad.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Animal Crossing isn't really like Stardew Valley though, is it?
Nah, but I would say it scratches a similar itch. There's a bit of a venn diagram happening between the two games, I think.

I'd say that Animal Crossing is sort of like Stardew minus the stress (of maintaining your farm). Chores in Stardew feel like chores, chores in Animal Crossing feel like fun.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nah, but I would say it scratches a similar itch. There's a bit of a venn diagram happening between the two games, I think.

I'd say that Animal Crossing is sort of like Stardew minus the stress (of maintaining your farm). Chores in Stardew feel like chores, chores in Animal Crossing feel like fun.

it scratches an entire different itch for me, exactly because of the things you said in your second paragraph. AC is relaxing, Stardew isn't.

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone know if the AC themed Switch has the game itself packed in? (Either digital or physical)
In Europe, the AC themed Switch does come with a digital code for the game and releases on the game's release date. It is also the cost of one full priced game more expensive than the standard Switch model.

In North America, the AC themed Switch does not come with a copy of the game and it releases one week earlier than the game does. It is the same price as the standard Switch model.

In Japan, I don't know. They are going to be able to buy the dock and joycon separately, but you do need a valid Japanese address tied to your Nintendo account to get them.

I wish people were a little more risky with their island names. Switch games usually have larger character limits than their 3DS counterparts.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
If theres more of an expansion of how to build your perfect town, im all in. If not I will probably not get it.
I really hope this is feels somewhat new in the custom aspect of it. I never enjoyed you only controled your house, and not even that much apart of buying furniture. The limits on the tiles you could add as floor and the public works being pretty meh has always been a big dissapointment to me. The stairs in that render give me hope of better stuff.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it scratches an entire different itch for me, exactly because of the things you said in your second paragraph. AC is relaxing, Stardew isn't.
That's fair.

For me, Stardew becomes relaxing once you get into the swing of things, and that's where I find I get something similar out of it - but you're right, it's not the same.

I do think there's some crossover in the fanbases for the games though.

Oct 27, 2017
My one fear about multiple islands is having museum/roost/able sisters away from your main island. I'd want to have at least those in my main island. I also don't see how it'd work with multiplayer? We'd have different islands to choose when visiting?

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
My one fear about multiple islands is having museum/roost/able sisters away from your main island. I'd want to have at least those in my main island. I also don't see how it'd work with multiplayer? We'd have different islands to choose when visiting?

I guess only the main island has the airport, so that's where you'd embark on a multiplayer visit.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
Anyone know if the AC themed Switch has the game itself packed in? (Either digital or physical)
In Japan and Europe, a digital copy. In the US, no game included thankfully. In the US you're free to buy it anywhere and get whatever pre-order bonus you want, or use credit already on your Nintendo account to buy it that way (or use a voucher).

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
:/ I mean, if that were the case, and we couldn't be able to play online in the museum/roost/able sisters, that'd be a huge bummer. I genuinly doubt that would happen.

I can't imagine for one minute that you'd be stuck on the main island. New Leaf opened up way more and let people visit main street and stuff, so it stands to reason New Horizons will be as open as possible too.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Ohh Sats, that was a pretty wild time. But it made for one hell of a way to hype up the game and cement a really good core of people to play with once it launched.
Yeah I'm a bit worried about that as well. I'd like for there to be a Main Street again. Even if the loading is instant the time to get on a boat or plane and all the accompanying animations and dialogue sounds like it would be quite tedious.

I also still hope we get some kind of City Island that acts as a kind of community hub for all things sharing. Like Dream Suite, pattern sharing and so on.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't that bad, the topic in general I mean.
We were adding ourself on 3DS to sent Swapnotes and I loved all those drawing. I even sent some badly drawn.
We were talking about how we would name our town too.
I also remember Philia who would go into our town putting flowers the right way.
My avatar at that time was Rolf so I might put him back for the hype.

I wasn't being sarcastic :) Fun thread, but yeah, people gotta restrain themselves from posting lewd fanart.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Not really hyped.

I mean, I can't f'n wait to put my hands on it, I want it so bad, but my massive fear of disappointment and cut down features, possibilities, content, mechanics or messed up balancing is just too big to let a classic hype happen. People here already mentioned no QR anymore, possible multiplayer restrictions and who knows how much it differs on mechanics, unlocks and features in the end. We just don't know enough yet.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
What's exciting this time, is that we won't have to wait several months after the Japanese release, so I won't get spoiled about shop/upgrade and stuff.
Also f*ck New Leaf public works, my villagers never asked me for a police station, I hate them.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
What's exciting this time, is that we won't have to wait several months after the Japanese release, so I won't get spoiled about shop/upgrade and stuff.
Also f*ck New Leaf public works, my villagers never asked me for a police station, I hate them.
God, I actually forgot that getting new public works was completely random and could take ages to get something specific you wanted. Such garbage.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I'M READY.

Haven't played an Animal Crossing game since the DS, but I feel like I'm now at a point in my life where I want this kind of game again. Cute animals, chill times, lots of customization... let's do it!

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??