• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
Man... Too many removed features, too few new stuff. The game is disappointing as hell for me. I don't care about terrain shaping if Luna or Lyle is absent. Or if I can't put up a Mona Lisa in my house.

No Lyle? No HHA?
No Luna? No dream town visit?
No police dogs and Lost and Found?
No way to put up furniture for sale since no Reese or Cyrus?
And no characters for special days? No Franklin or Jingle?

I wanna say they'll most likely add those with DLC but who am I kidding. The game features online trading, of course there won't be any DLC.
They literally showed Franklin and Jingle in the direct as an example of characters being added later

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Nice, the Sanrio card exclusive villagers are in the game files, I was worried since the Sanrio cards aren't supported.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
And no characters for special days? No Franklin or Jingle?

I wanna say they'll most likely add those with DLC but who am I kidding. The game features online trading, of course there won't be any DLC.
Did you... not watch the Direct? At the very least, the holiday characters are being patched in closer to those events (probably to prevent time travelling to experience them early).

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Did you... not watch the Direct? At the very least, the holiday characters are being patched in closer to those events to prevent time travelling to experience them early,

They didn't say that they would be "patched". I was planning to set my date to early October to get the Harvest Festival early. If the game doesn't allow that, it's kinda bummer.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
The extremely low number of special NPCs is a dead giveaway that there will be a lot of content updates besides just holiday events

DarkWish

Oct 27, 2017
Virginia
They didn't say that they would be "patched". I was planning to set my date to early October to get the Harvest Festival early. If the game doesn't allow that, it's kinda bummer.
Yea they did. They said the holiday events would be released in updates later, likely to prevent exactly what you're wanting to do.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Nice, the Sanrio card exclusive villagers are in the game files, I was worried since the Sanrio cards aren't supported.
Huh, I totally missed that. Holden, Filly, the other crossover villagers are missing though. I don't think the cards would be incompatible if the Sanrio villagers are going to be there at launch, so I wonder if they'll be patched in close to launch or something.

They said the characters and events would be added via free updates... so patched in.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
show

They made it pretty clear.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last month's direct made it VERY clear that holidays would be added with post launch updates. You won't be able to just time travel to your favorite holiday at launch, but it will be in the game.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
The EPD engine used for all 4 games is called Lunch Pack 2, compared to the Wii U's Lunch Pack engine used by Nintendo EPD.

The same person claims that Splatoon 2, ARMS, and Labo all run off the original "Lunch Pack" engine:

It would make sense if Mario Kart 8 Deluxe did as well, being a port. I wonder if New Horizons is the first "Lunch Pack 2" title, or if there are earlier EPD Switch titles that use it? Very interested in finding out.

Edit: Further research, and the same person says that Mario Kart 8 actually uses a different engine from LunchBox. Strange.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

It's from the Splatoon team, you know the ones that added dozens of NEW weapons, clothing items, stages and modes that weren't in the base game code through free updates

Last edited:

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
I liked Lottie... :< She deserved a role in a mainline title.

This game is gonna need some serious DLC. I didn't think so many features would be taken away from New Leaf.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I don't see the point in panicking over certain content missing. The game will be getting updates for years to come.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
The same person claims that Splatoon 2, ARMS, and Labo all run off the original "Lunch Pack" engine:

It would make sense if Mario Kart 8 Deluxe did as well, being a port. I wonder if New Horizons is the first "Lunch Pack 2" title, or if there are earlier EPD Switch titles that use it? Very interested in finding out.

Edit: Further research, and the same person says that Mario Kart 8 actually uses a different engine from LunchBox. Strange.

This makes me realize the lighting in ARMS, Splatoon and Animal Crossing is actually pretty recognizably similar lol

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
10 max villagers confirmed:

Dammit. Really hoped for 12. Though to be fair, at the end of New Leaf, my entire town was all the Amiibo crossover characters (which have been cut), so I guess I'm back to having plenty of room for other villagers.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see the point in panicking over certain content missing. The game will be getting updates for years to come.

But I don't want to play AC "for years to come". I usually do everything the AC game offers in 2-3 months and be done with it. In ACNL it was pretty easy to grind for money in unlock majority of stuff (including Cafe and Police Office) in just weeks. Not to mention putting up rare objects for sale at Reese's gave quick cash.

Looks like ACNH is going to force me to take things slow. I'm not a patient person I don't know how it's gonna work out for me.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Boycott Nintendo until they bring back froggy chair

froggy-chair-68248116.png

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
This makes me realize the lighting in ARMS, Splatoon and Animal Crossing is actually pretty recognizably similar lol

Makes a lot of sense for EPD to share the same tools, so I guess I shouldn't be so surprised. I wonder if BotW uses it, or something different entirely?

This makes two Nintendo engines that we know the name of now, with the other being the Bezel engine, which is used to run both Super Mario Party and Tetris 99.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
But I don't want to play AC "for years to come". I usually do everything the AC game offers in 2-3 months and be done with it. In ACNL it was pretty easy to grind for money in unlock majority of stuff (including Cafe and Police Office) in just weeks. Not to mention putting up rare objects for sale at Reese's gave quick cash.

Looks like ACNH is going to force me to take things slow. I'm not a patient person I don't know how it's gonna work out for me.
To each their own but this seems like a really depressing way to play a game like this.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm curious how much more is added in the 1.1 patch, which will go live tomorrow for pre-loaders to download:

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
There seems to be a lot of faith in DLC happening without confirmation aside from the holiday stuff. Just because the devs did splatoon doesn't guarantee anything.

Starlightmuse

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 27, 2017
Is this the thread where we judge how people like to play their own videogames?

I'm curious how much more is added in the 1.1 patch, which will go live tomorrow for pre-loaders to download:

I guess it wont be datamined as easily as the game itself, since it needs internet conexion to be downloaded, right?

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I'm still curious about the Sanrio villagers. Their cards were already confirmed to not summon their respective villagers, but their names are still included in that internal list of villagers.

I really want to have Étoile again, so I hope they'll be back.