• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mr. Gold

Jul 1, 2019
Honesty, really great update.

But then you sour the pot with DLC that costs half of the game which has 1/20th the content. I hate DLC models.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
i dunno about some of these changes
p5tTxtl.jpg

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah , $25 if you choose to go that route, and you keep it permanently too.

Is the DLC really not permanent if you get the Online Expansion? Best to get it standalone if that's the case, imagine columns and lighting just getting locked after cancelling Online like we're in some sort of EA Sims game.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
oh, I thought they were new because I Googled them and nothing came up

Turns out they just never had English names until now

Wonder if they'll all be returning after the initial few new ones. Probably, I guess. There's 8 new ones there for the 8 personality types. There should be 12 more cards to be seen, I think?
Yep, some of them were previously exclusive to the Japanese N64 & Gamecube games. (Chabwick, Frett, Azalea, and Roswell.)

I've written down a list of all the confirmed Series 5 amiibo cards:

401 Tom Nook (Spring/Summer)
402 Timmy & Tommy
403 Isabelle (Spring/Summer)
404 Orville
405 Wilbur
406 Blathers
407 Celeste
408 Mabel
409 Sable
410 Label
411 K.K. Slider
412 C.J.
413 Flick
414 Daisy Mae
415 Kicks
416 Saharah
417 Harvey
418 Gulliver
419 Wisp
420 Lottie (Island)
421 Niko
422 Wardell
423 Tom Nook (Fall/Winter)
424 Isabelle (Fall/Winter)
425 Sherb
426 Megan
427 Dom
428 Audie
429 Cyd
430 Judy
431 Raymond
432 Reneigh
433 Sasha
434 Ione
435 Tiansheng
436 Shino
437 Marlo
438 Petri
439 Cephalobot
440 Quinn
441 Chabwick
442 Zoe
443 Ace
444 Rio
445 Frett
446 Azalea
447 Roswell
448 Faith

Last edited:

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I wonder if Cyrus and Reese can also customize items like the surfboard which is a special summer item but is locked to one style on your island and never changes. I hate that I only have the ugly black and green version and can't customize it to the other styles.

Raza

Nov 7, 2017
Ohio
So, if I wanted to buy the DLC individually (not part of the Online membership), I wonder do I need to purchase it twice? My wife and I share the Switch and we'd both want access to it. Or if I purchase it, since we share the cartridge, would that share the DLC?

mudron

Feb 13, 2020
So the main update generally brings your main island in line with what was available in the big New Leaf update, while all the best new real stuff is tucked away in the paid DLC.

A shame that there's still practically nothing to do in multiplayer, no voice chat, and the animal villagers are all still zombified, so outside of letting other people visit instances of the villager vacation homes you've designed, the game is still an empty, isolated shell.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder if Cyrus and Reese can also customize items like the surfboard which is a special summer item but is locked to one style on your island and never changes. I hate that I only have the ugly black and green version and can't customize it to the other styles.

itd be great if all the island specific variants could be customized. we will see...

B'z-chan

Oct 27, 2017
With each Series 5 pack of 6 cards including just one NPC (SP) card this is gonna be a bloodbath, and that's before we get into the whole scalpers market that has taken hold during the pandemic. 24 of the new Series 5 cards are SP cards, Nintendo what the hell are you doing?

mudron

Feb 13, 2020
So, IGN just confirmed that Nintendo says the November 5th update will be the last major update to the game, so……yeesh.

What a mess, especially in comparison to how evergreen Pocket Camp has been treated by Nintendo.

GestaltGaz

Oct 28, 2017
I don't mean to be rude but for us that can't read the whole thread can the OP update the OP with the details or summary. That would be really helpful, thanks!

AngelSkye

Jul 25, 2018
Is the DLC really not permanent if you get the Online Expansion? Best to get it standalone if that's the case, imagine columns and lighting just getting locked after cancelling Online like we're in some sort of EA Sims game.
Yeah I asked the same question in the other thread and its written in the fine print that it's not permanent if you got it free from the Online Expansion. I"m getting it standalone too.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
agreed, I have no idea what was announced
Here's a summary for the free DLC:

Brewster:
characters show up, like Isabelle
invite characters thru amiibo

Kappn:
located at the pier, ferries you to random islands
island can be different seasons, time of day
climbable vines can be picked up; some new type of plant on the ground(?)

Harv's Island expanded w/ new plaza area:
familiar island visitors set up shops: Saharah, Kicks,
Katrina gives fortune daily
Cyrus / Reese customize the Nook Mile items
Tortimer allows you to access storage
Harriet gives new hairstyles

Group stretching in town plaza
uses motion controls

Island Ordinances:
Bell Boom
Night Owl
Early Bird – all residents wake up earlier
Beautiful Island

Construction Servies:
Modify house exterior design

Home Storage Upgrade:
From 2400 to 5000 thru 3 expansions

Nook Mile
New redeemable items
Outdoor storage locker accesses home storage
outdoor ATM to deposit / withdrawl money

Cooking / Farming:
Tomatoes, wheat, sugarcane, potatoes, carrots can be grown
Cook recipes in your kitchen and eat for typical power

Pro Decorating:
ceiling decorations / lighting
accent wall (change individual wallpapers within room)

Bridge / Inclines
expanded from 8 to 10 each.

9 new fence types (some can be customized)
11 new reactions
11 new hairstyles
12 new songs

Pro Camera Mode
eye level camera (FPS, basically)

Customization Patterns can be worn or used as flooring / wallpaper

Gyroids
Plant gyroid fragments, water them to dig up next day
Find them the day after it rains
Can be customized

New furniture types in the store (ceiling décor) and new items

New tool
Permanent ladders can be set up on island for better island traversal
DIY can be purchased at Nook's

Movement thru tight spaces created by furniture

Villagers visit your house and invite you to theirs
+ Purchasing the DLC let's you use the new Happy Home room customization options (except for the expansion options, because I guess that's why you pay Nook for a bigger house) in your own house back in your island.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
I just realized I don't think local coop players could go to Harvey's Island together.

If I can't go to the island and see all these cool new things with my partner that is going to be reeeeeeeally disappointing.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
I don't mean to be rude but for us that can't read the whole thread can the OP update the OP with the details or summary. That would be really helpful, thanks!

Serebii
I wrote this summary. Feel free to add it to the OP:

Brewster:
- characters show up, like Isabelle
- invite characters thru amiibo

Kappn:
- located at the pier, ferries you to random islands
- island can be different seasons, time of day
- climbable vines can be picked up and likely reinstalled on your island
- some new type of plant on the ground(?)

- familiar island visitors set up shops (Saharah & Kicks shown)
- Katrina gives fortune daily
- Cyrus / Reese customize the Nook Mile items
- Tortimer allows you to access storage
- Harriet gives new hairstyles

- uses motion controls or buttons

Island Ordinances:
- Bell Boom
- Night Owl
- Early Bird – all residents wake up earlier
- Beautiful Island

Construction Servies:
- modify house exterior design

Home Storage Upgrade:
- from 2400 to 5000 thru 3 expansions

Nook Mile
- new redeemable items, including:
- Outdoor storage locker accesses home storage
- outdoor ATM to deposit / withdrawl money

Cooking / Farming:
- tomatoes, wheat, sugarcane, potatoes, carrots can be grown
- cook recipes in your kitchen and eat for typical rock-breaking power
- some food give more than 1 power

Pro Decorating:
- ceiling decorations / lighting
- accent wall (change individual wallpapers within room)

Bridge / Inclines
- expanded from 8 to 10 each.

- 9 new fence types (some fences can be customized, including originals)
- 11 new reactions
- 11 new hairstyles
- 12 new songs

Pro Camera Mode
- eye level camera (FPS, basically)

Customization Patterns (originally given by Sable) can be worn or used as flooring / wallpaper

Gyroids
- plant gyroid fragments, water them to dig up next day
- find them the day after it rains
- can be customized

New Tool (DIY can be purchased at Nook's Cranny)
- Permanent ladders can be set up on island for better island traversal

Ability to move thru tight spaces created by furniture (like sofa and coffee table being too close)

Added by Shedinja :
+ Purchasing the DLC let's you use the new Happy Home room customization options (except for the expansion options, because I guess that's why you pay Nook for a bigger house) in your own house back in your island.

Last edited:

Wander

Oct 25, 2017
Has there been a QOL update to multiplayer? Hate that there's a cutscene for each player added

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
So, IGN just confirmed that Nintendo says the November 5th update will be the last major update to the game, so……yeesh.

What a mess, especially in comparison to how evergreen Pocket Camp has been treated by Nintendo.
Yeah it's Mario Maker all over again. Unfortunate, I don't think Nintendo has much interest in adopting live-service models.

GestaltGaz

Oct 28, 2017
Serebii
I wrote this summary. Feel free to add it to the OP:

Brewster:
characters show up, like Isabelle
invite characters thru amiibo

Kappn:
located at the pier, ferries you to random islands
island can be different seasons, time of day
climbable vines can be picked up; some new type of plant on the ground(?)

familiar island visitors set up shops: Saharah, Kicks,
Katrina gives fortune daily
Cyrus / Reese customize the Nook Mile items
Tortimer allows you to access storage
Harriet gives new hairstyles

uses motion controls

Island Ordinances:
Bell Boom
Night Owl
Early Bird – all residents wake up earlier
Beautiful Island

Construction Servies:
Modify house exterior design

Home Storage Upgrade:
From 2400 to 5000 thru 3 expansions

Nook Mile
New redeemable items
Outdoor storage locker accesses home storage
outdoor ATM to deposit / withdrawl money

Cooking / Farming:
Tomatoes, wheat, sugarcane, potatoes, carrots can be grown
Cook recipes in your kitchen and eat for typical power

Pro Decorating:
ceiling decorations / lighting
accent wall (change individual wallpapers within room)

Bridge / Inclines
expanded from 8 to 10 each.

9 new fence types (some can be customized)
11 new reactions
11 new hairstyles
12 new songs

Pro Camera Mode
eye level camera (FPS, basically)

Customization Patterns can be worn or used as flooring / wallpaper

Gyroids
Plant gyroid fragments, water them to dig up next day
Find them the day after it rains
Can be customized

New tool
Permanent ladders can be set up on island for better island traversal
DIY can be purchased at Nook's

Movement thru tight spaces created by furniture

Added by Shedinja :
I love you, thanks!

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
wonder if the new neighbors will be card exclusive or if they'll just throw them in the random pile with the others

I don't think they really mentioned
they showed a few of them casually at the end of the 2.0 details, and there's no amiibo showcase this time, so it seems like they'll just be rolled into the game

i was hoping the crossovers would return but i suppose that's not happening for the same reason

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
they showed a few of them casually at the end of the 2.0 details, and there's no amiibo showcase this time, so it seems like they'll just be rolled into the game

i was hoping the crossovers would return but i suppose that's not happening for the same reason
The Hello Kitty neighbors aren't in the "normal" pile

I'm super disappointed I won't have Epona as a neighbor, but Cephalobot makes it a little better. Except he's probably a jock, and NH Jock neighbors are awful

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
The Hello Kitty neighbors aren't in the "normal" pile

I'm super disappointed I won't have Epona as a neighbor, but Cephalobot makes it a little better. Except he's probably a jock, and NH Jock neighbors are awful
i figure the sanrio stuff is an exception because there's probably some licensing involved, but that's true too

guess we'll have to wait and see, but the lack of fanfare beyond including new ones gives me some hope

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
i figure the sanrio stuff is an exception because there's probably some licensing involved, but that's true too

guess we'll have to wait and see, but the lack of fanfare beyond including new ones gives me some hope
Yea, they never really mentioned the new neighbors, they're just in the video as normal neighbors and for people who paid attention to the cards

So I guess there's still a chance the Nintendo ones return

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017

Darn, I was hoping they would at least keep the window open for another DLC. :( I wouldn't have minded paying for, say, a Nook store expansion DLC that was just a bunch of new furniture items.

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
I knew they would be going the DLC route, but the free update is full of stuff too - I'm quite surprised at the amount of content there is.
Honestly can't wait for november 5, but I need to make room for my vegetables !

Animal crossing streamers will go nuts - they announced pretty much everything people wanted. Even the froggy chair.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be really disappointed if there's no more Nook Cranny update, it's like the only thing that I kept looking after we learned about the datamine. It would also mean no Gracie :(
Shopping is like my favourite activity in Animal Crossing games, and a small shop really hurts, haha.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
I just wonder (as I'm sure others have already discussed but thread is long) if it makes more sense to just buy the DLC at $25 or get it with the NSO upgrade.

I don't even care about the old games much (I will subscribe for a bit to play Paper Mario) but not permanently. The structure they are releasing just makes me wonder if Nintendo will be releasing "free" DLC for other games throughout the year as an incentive to stay signed up for the upgraded NSO. In which case, long term it may be cheaper to stay in the expanded NSO rather than buy DLC separately for various titles.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY

Correct. If you don't plan to have the Expansion forever, but want to retain access to the DLC, you should probably just buy it outright (and consider skipping the overpriced Expansion).

So, if I wanted to buy the DLC individually (not part of the Online membership), I wonder do I need to purchase it twice? My wife and I share the Switch and we'd both want access to it. Or if I purchase it, since we share the cartridge, would that share the DLC?

The DLC is tied to your Nintendo Account, not your Switch. If you and your wife both use the same Nintendo Account, you're all set. If not, then make sure your Switch is set to be the primary console on your Nintendo Account, and you will be able to share the DLC.

I just wonder (as I'm sure others have already discussed but thread is long) if it makes more sense to just buy the DLC at $25 or get it with the NSO upgrade.

I don't even care about the old games much (I will subscribe for a bit to play Paper Mario) but not permanently. The structure they are releasing just makes me wonder if Nintendo will be releasing "free" DLC for other games throughout the year as an incentive to stay signed up for the upgraded NSO. In which case, long term it may be cheaper to stay in the expanded NSO rather than buy DLC separately for various titles.

Buy the DLC outright. Upgrade to the Expansion for the last month of your sub to play Paper Mario, then revert to the standard sub going forward.

I expect that Nintendo will add absolutely nothing to the Expansion. I hope to be wrong but I'm setting my expectations very low. What we have today from the base NSO subscription is not much different from what we had on day one; that is the precedent.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
I'd be really disappointed if there's no more Nook Cranny update, it's like the only thing that I kept looking after we learned about the datamine. It would also mean no Gracie :(
Shopping is like my favourite activity in Animal Crossing games, and a small shop really hurts, haha.
Was there suppose to be another Nook upgrade?

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Oh man, this update is gonna get me and my partner back into AC big time! Can't wait for cooking and all the new design stuff.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Did they anything about expanding the bug, fish, and fossil counts?

Not super into the home creation and decorating stuff

Unfortunately, no.

I agree that would have been really cool if they added more varieties to hunt for for long-time players who have a 100% critterpedia for awhile now. They did add gyroids though which you dig up like fossils so there's that, at least.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Do we have any idea on how the DLC via NSO will work if you have multiple users for your town but only one has an NSO XP membership? Will the other users without NSO XP get access to the dlc? Will they get locked out like they get locked out of online features?

Seems like this could be another way that New Horizon's requirement for putting all users into one save file like no other game on the Switch has made things weirdly complicated