• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
Ya'll need relax with the insults and attacks from both sides and wait until this is played out and the "real" facts surface instead of calling her a liar and calling him shit.

But it does seem like now that he's brought in a lawyer she's walking back on her allegations. We'll see.
This. We should just wait and see for both parties

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I'm always open to change my mind based off of more information, but a lot of the rhetoric in that reply seems like the sort of victim blaming stuff you'd expect from a guy who rags about SJWs.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can't stand this guy but he should be given the chance to defend himself. You can believe women while letting the story unfold.

Drelkag

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what happened in the room alone together obviously.

But as for the party there seems to be a lot of people that could clear up who is telling the truth.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
One party can forcefully silence her through the law because he has money, though. He has already started that process.
That IS true, but at the same time wouldn't you lawyer up if you had built something financially and had the money to defend yourself? I can see how this looks like he's muscling her but at the same time I can also see just trying to protect your work and yourself financially. Its kinda a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation on his end

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure why getting a lawyer would be an inditement in either direction. Seems a prudent thing to do for this sort of situation. I mean apparently he's also mouthing off on Twitter which, well, that seems dumb, but lawyering up...nothing wrong with that.

Oct 29, 2017
So are there pics that she posted at the time she claimed her phone was taken from her or not? I skimmed the pages and haven't seen anyone respond to the initial questions about this in the first page.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
That IS true, but at the same time wouldn't you lawyer up if you had built something financially and had the money to defend yourself? I can see how this looks like he's muscling her but at the same time I can also see just trying to protect your work and yourself financially.
Will he lose financially if he doesn't lawyer up and send cease and desists?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
The legal process can also be used to force a battle of the wallets or to threaten and silence others. The accusatory tone of the response combined with Joe being the legal aggressor do have me leaning into thinking that's how it's being used here, regardless of what happened.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
Will he lose financially if he doesn't lawyer up and send cease and desists?
I dunno, I guess it depends on if he has deals and endorsements with people and companies...and they get wind of this scandal and decide to drop him. Sexual assault or anything related is hella taboo in our society and just having something like that attached to your name is good enough to spook people away from you personally and professionally.

And unfortunately, even if it happens to not be true, it can still follow you around just by association and still hurt you for a while

Honestly he could lawyer up and send a cease and desist and STILL lose out on deals/sponsorship/all that. Sexual assault and everything related to it is THAT heavy

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I dunno, I guess it depends on if he has deals and endorsements with people and companies...and they get wind of this scandal and decide to drop him. Sexual assault or anything related is hella taboo in our society and just having something like that attached to your name is good enough to spook people away from you personally and professionally.

And unfortunately, even if it happens to not be true, it can still follow you around just by association and still hurt you for a while
Endorsements would drop them regardless of a cease and desist. A cease and desist is a tool to silence those who cannot financially fight back.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Just a little bar napkin math, but I feel like I can accurately predict a low-post account prior to clicking the name 100% of the time in these threads.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

Sometimes.

www.indiewire.com

Over 100 In Film Community Sign Polanski Petition

Over 100 In Film Community Sign Polanski Petition

May 19, 2020
That IS true, but at the same time wouldn't you lawyer up if you had built something financially and had the money to defend yourself? I can see how this looks like he's muscling her but at the same time I can also see just trying to protect your work and yourself financially. Its kinda a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation on his end
Joe is 100% muscling her and trying to shut down the story by giving off a tough guy persona. This is like basic legal posturing, damage control 101 etc. and you can totally tell his lawyers looked that chest-beating statement over. The original story does not accuse Joe of a crime so this whole "due process" talk is dubious at best. She basically paints him as a creepy asshole who uses his clout to position women for sex. She is allowed to have this view of him and his behavior as that is her opinion.

I find it hard to believe either side will have ammo to actually "prove" anything so it will likely go nowhere.

Jacobson

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On one hand, if you're the victim, it'd be hard if this turns into a legal battle and you don't have the resources to keep up. On the other hand, if you're the accused (and IF it's a false accusation), you have no choice but to take this to court if you want to prove that you're innocent.

Let's wait and see if more details come up.

The original story does not accuse Joe of a crime so this whole "due process" talk is dubious at best. She basically paints him as a creepy asshole who uses his clout to position women for sex. She is allowed to have this view of him and his behavior as that is her opinion.
She's allowed to have an opinion, yes, but Joe is alleging that this is all false, which is defamation, hence the legal talk.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
Joe is 100% muscling her and trying to shut down the story by giving off a tough guy persona. This is like basic legal posturing, damage control 101 etc. and you can totally tell his lawyers looked that chest-beating statement over. The original story does not accuse Joe of a crime so this whole "due process" talk is dubious at best. She basically paints him as a creepy asshole who uses his clout to position women for sex. She is allowed to have this view of him and his behavior as that is her opinion.

I find it hard to believe either side will have ammo to actually "prove" anything so it will likely go nowhere.
I get what you're saying. I guess it IS a little excessive for all the lawyer talk and legal action stuff.

Like I said, I we will just have to see if more facts come out...but it does look a little overkill on his end.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
He admits she waited why he took a shower. That alone is inappropriate with a person of the opposite sex that you just met. Or maybe I'm old fashioned. Anyway, I think there is truth to what she is saying.

TCG276

Dec 17, 2017
A few strange things in the story made me question it a little if I'm being 100% honest. This is not to say Joe isn't a scummy dude. My gut is just telling me that the truth of this matter is likely somewhere in the middle, but that's just a gut feeling.

The things in the story that didn't sit well with me starts with her lying to him about her relationship status. Why would she do that? Another rather stupid thing that stood out to me is when she said she didn't have any cards to give Joe's associate at the dinner but then goes on to say she was handing out cards at the after party. It's a small thing but odd nonetheless. And did she imply that Joe took her phone the whole night and that is why she didn't text her boyfriend the whole evening? I'm sorry but that just seems incredibly implausible and I don't think anyone would go along with that.

That being said, it doesn't mean she is lying about Joe being a creepy ass dude who assaulted her, and his reaction to the story isn't helping his case at all. It just makes we wonder if either of them are telling the whole truth.

And to be perfectly clear, I don't give a shit about Joe. Especially if he did push her against a wall. I'm just giving my thoughts on the matter this far. Obviously we know more about her side of the story than his right now so that is why my comment may seem a bit lopsided

Last edited:

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
You can legally protect yourself and your business without being a condescending piece of shit about it though. And you can also do it in a manner that doesn't involve threats and applying public pressure onto the accuser.

So regardless of whether or not he is innocent he has handled this situation like the tone deaf dudebro asshole everyone knew he was already.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah you're right. Do you think just lawyering up should have been all he did?
Allow her to speak her story. Don't try to silence them. It isn't hard. It's a lot like the The Young Turks and unions: they're all for unions until it happens to them. Same with AngryJoe: he's all for supporting and believing victims until it happens to him. If you truly believe in supporting and believing victims then your first move shouldn't be to lawyer up and send a cease and desist letter because that is a commonly used tactic to silence victims.

May 19, 2020
She's allowed to have an opinion, yes, but Joe is alleging that this is all false, which is defamation, hence the legal talk.
Defamation is not a crime. As someone else pointed out, public figures often have to prove that actual malice is behind the statement to make a defamation case stick. It makes any legal proceeding shaky because Joe's team would have to prove that she made this up to ruin Joe's reputation rather than her just providing a valid interpretation of his behavior. It's why I think he is just trying to shut down the story with a big tough guy statement rather than being serious about pursuing this in the courts.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see why if he's so sure of his innocence, that's he's threatening legal action. If someone defamed me in the way same way he's alleged, there wouldn't be a cease & desist, it'd be get the receipts and go straight to court.
Because it's damage to his brand regardless of whether or not he did it

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
The original story does not accuse Joe of a crime so this whole "due process" talk is dubious at best. She basically paints him as a creepy asshole who uses his clout to position women for sex. She is allowed to have this view of him and his behavior as that is her opinion.

This is the most frustrating part. She wasn't going to take him to court criminally or civilly, just warning others of potentially creepy (but not illegal) behavior.

I keep bringing up Vic Mignogna's lawsuit because it's playing out eerily similar. Right down to his fans victim blaming her by "not taking it to court or the police" first.

Defamation is not a crime. As someone else pointed out, public figures often have to prove that actual malice is behind the statement to make a defamation case stick. It makes any legal proceeding shaky because Joe's team would have to prove that she made this up to ruin Joe's reputation rather than her just her valid interpretation of his behavior. It's why I think he is just trying to shut down the story with a big tough guy statement rather than being serious about pursuing this in the courts.

Typed up my first half when I saw you post this. Worded much better than I was trying to say.

Jacobson

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Defamation is not a crime. As someone else pointed out, public figures often have to prove that actual malice is behind the statement to make a defamation case stick. It makes any legal proceeding shaky because Joe's team would have to prove that she made this up to ruin Joe's reputation rather than her just her valid interpretation of his behavior. It's why I think he is just trying to shut down the story with a big tough guy statement rather than being serious about pursuing this in the courts.

Who said it was a crime? Defamation is a civil case, and you can still sue for damages. Criminal case =/= civil case.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
A few strange things in the story made me question it a little if I'm being 100% honest. This is not to say Joe isn't a scummy dude. My gut is just telling me that the truth of this matter is likely somewhere in the middle, but that's just a gut feeling.

The things in the story that didn't sit well with me starts with her lying to him about her relationship status. Why would she do that? Another rather stupid thing that stood out to me is when she said she didn't have any cards to give Joe's associate at the dinner but then goes on to say she was handing out cards at the after party. It's a small thing but odd nonetheless. And did she imply that Joe took her phone the whole night and that is why she didn't text her boyfriend the whole evening? I'm sorry but that just seems incredibly Implausible.

That being said, it doesn't mean she is lying about Joe being a creepy ass dude, and his reaction to the story isn't helping his case at all. It just makes we wonder if either of them are telling the whole truth.
She never lied about her relationship status wtf? Just because she doesn't outright tell him "hey I have a boyfriend" doesn't mean she's lying.

And how is the whole thing implausible? At the party, she knew no-one yet Joe was friendly with a lot of them. Joe takes her phone, doesn't give it back, well then she's out of luck. You can't just go up to people you don't know and ask if you can borrow their phone real quick.

Jingo

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissing allegations of sexual assault
Guily or not, is image is already damaged, of course he would have to go to legal matters, just think if this happened to you.

Like many of you already said, the answer lies down somewhere in the middle, some bad blood about what happened in that day is now trying to surface, i wont take sides cause the internet is a dangerous place nowadays.

Anyway most of the true assaulters never had only one case, there was always more so ill be following this one with interest if someone else comes up too.

Juan29.Zapata

Oct 25, 2017
Colombia
The best thing that could happen to her, in order to corroborate her side of the story would be that other speak up, whether they have similar stories or witnessed the predatory behavior, but with the C&D he is publicly telling others that they may have to lawyer up if they want to put out their hypothetical stories and face the same scorn she is dealing with right now.

Hope justice is served one way or the other. But as always, I'll believe the victim.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Seems that he claims he has multiple people who can corroborate his story and there's pictures but he fails to provide any of them. instead tried to shut the whole thing down by threatening her with lawyers.

Doesn't accuse him up front but there are some things in her description that could easily be described as physical assault. If I can see it, his lawyers definetly can.

Jacobson

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guarantee he won't because he has to prove malicious intention and forethought on a story which involves a personal opinion and interpretation of another person's behavior. Good luck with that, lol.

I'm not giving my opinion on this case, mind you, I was just stating that taking legal action against this is within his rights if he decides to do it (regardless of how unlikely he's going to do it).

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
I'm not going to try and project how I feel about this onto Joe like we all do or want to do. But if I was going to lie about my side of things and say the accusations had no merit when they in fact did, I would not be doing so publicly. If I'm a predator and I wanna cover my ass, why am I gonna lie in public when it could come back to bite me in court/in public?

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Allow her to speak her story. Don't try to silence them. It isn't hard. It's a lot like the The Young Turks and unions: they're all for unions until it happens to them. Same with AngryJoe: he's all for supporting and believing victims until it happens to him. If you truly believe in supporting and believing victims then your first move shouldn't be to lawyer up and send a cease and desist letter because that is a commonly used tactic to silence victims.
If you were being accused of something you didn't do, why would you allow your accuser to continue spouting lies to try and defame you? Wouldn't you want that to stop immediately?

Supporting and believing victims does not mean remaining silent if you yourself know that what is being said is not true. What is there to "believe" in that case? Belief implies a lack of knowledge; if you are personally involved in a situation it is no longer a case of believing, but of knowing.

I'm not saying Joe is not guilty of what he's being accused of, but him taking legal action is not at all indicative of his guilt. There's not much else to say about this until more information comes to light.

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
I really hope others come forward with stories about Joe, because this sort of thing NEVER happens just once. Otherwise, this unfortunately will probably not go anywhere, even though I'm still very much on the side of the accuser. I'm extremely disappointed in the supposedly "open-minded" userbase here at Era just champing at the bit to defend Joe just because he said he didn't do anything.

The amount of hate and vitriol she's getting just raises up the question I'll keep asking of those who dismiss victims' claims so easily: what could she possibly gain from making up accusations in this world where "canceling" men with any amount of power or influence largely proves to accomplish nothing but the perpetual harassment of the accusers?

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Guily or not, is image is already damaged, of course he would have to go to legal matters, just think if this happened to you.

Like many of you already said, the answer lies down somewhere in the middle, some bad blood about what happened in that day is now trying to surface, i wont take sides cause the internet is a dangerous place nowadays.

Anyway most of the true assaulters never had only one case, there was always more so ill be following this one with interest if someone else comes up too.

Saying the truth is "somewhere down the middle" is taking a side.

TCG276

Dec 17, 2017
She never lied about her relationship status wtf? Just because she doesn't outright tell him "hey I have a boyfriend" doesn't mean she's lying.

And how is the whole thing implausible? At the party, she knew no-one yet Joe was friendly with a lot of them. Joe takes her phone, doesn't give it back, well then she's out of luck. You can't just go up to people you don't know and ask if you can borrow their phone real quick.

"I lie and say Allen, he starts getting angry and said "your boyfriend?" and I lie and say no"

And I say it's implausible because she said she was told to put her phone away. She didn't say he took it from her and kept it. Did she not take it with her to the bathroom? Who doesn't text people while in the bathroom, especially when they are in a shitty situation?

Last edited:
May 19, 2020
Doesn't accuse him up front but there are some things in her description that could easily be described as physical assault. If I can see it, his lawyers definetly can.
She says he asserted himself and "pushed her against the wall" when they were "out of sight". While I think her story is believable it wouldn't hold up in court unless someone else saw this happen. This is why either side is not likely to pursue this further. It's a he said/she said gossip story now unfortunately and a much more convenient situation for Joe to be in. All he has to do is say "nah the weirdo creeper stuff didn't happen and if you continue to talk about this i'll sue", which he did basically.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
The part about her being a "grown up" is a huge red flag to me. Comes off like a transparent attempt to shift the blame to the accuser.

NexusCell

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm just gonna wait for more information to come out. Don't feel comfortable making a judgement at the moment.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Im team "This doesnt have anything to do with us"

Same. I think the forum would be improved by rules about when these types of threads can be posted. What unique discussion is there to be had here? Many people are baselessly judging the people involved and each other, often using information that may be obsolete shortly after as new Tweets come out. Making a spectacle out of it seems really tasteless. I'm glad this woman was able to share her story, I hope Joe faces consequences if it is true. I'm not really sure what is being accomplished by us all arguing over who is more trustworthy and why. It's just gossip, which again, is pretty tasteless considering the allegations.