• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
We know that women don't speak out because they have a concern, backed by data and history, that their allegations won't be believed, taken seriously or handled appropriately by authorities or those in positions of power. This has led to a breaking point where women have start speaking out publically about the people that have harassed and assaulted them.

The response when they speak out?
"Go to the courts!"
The thing is in this is, nothing he did was illegal was it? He was being a creep, super clingy but I don't think he broke any laws? So like other than speak out, what could she do? What he did was wrong, gross and ugh, but she has no legal discourse there even if she wanted to. People need to give up on the "go to the courts"

I still fail to see why she would lie about this though.
What's there to gain?
Insults/threats from Joe's fanbase??
Who doesn't want attack from incels?

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
I can't even beging in thinking how i would react if i feel i'm being falsy accused of very serious allegations and very publicly .

If I would be falsely accused of something this serious my reaction would be pretty angry tbh.
This can ruin your live despite it already damaging your reputation until proven false.
(not talking about this specific case here to be clear)

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Second part to the response, sort of.

She never claimed he assaulted her, she claimed he propositioned her for sex multiple times and made her uncomfortable, i.e. verbal sexual harassment. It's also completely understandable that she never went to the authorities about it because none of what she described is illegal, just predatory and gross.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
I think what's happening here is that Joe believes he didn't do anything wrong because he didn't physically assault her, but the problem is that he doesn't realize that everything else he was doing is also wrong.
Bingo. So much of harrassment has nothing to with being physical. Also that bullshit he wrote today about assault? That was internet gaslighting 101. Shifting and confusing the the narrative to his followers. Most won't even check that she never said assault.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Going into a conversation about allegations of sexual misconduct and the only input you have is, "Well, I'll wait for more facts." is quite rude. It adds zero to the conversation. If anyone wants to wait for more facts then they should do it silently. All that statement says is you doubt victims.
If only that was what I wrote.

As a poster above put it, I am also imploring people to take all accusations seriously, that even our own forum's missteps (which I've seen repeated a few too many times) should not lessen the actual impact of the #MeToo movement, and that with Joe's response - including his statement that he can produce receipts - it would be prudent to calm several people here demanding he and his career go up in flames.

One can take the accusations deathly serious while not grabbing your pitchfork.

I've LONG championed and marched and demonstrated and protested and fought for the rights of sexual assault victims, so I'll just assume tempers are heated right now and not take your accusation that I'm dismissing the validity of her statement to heart. I have a long history of promoting and posting on this site about recovery, help, and promoting reform for victims of sexual abuse.

The conversation for how we treat both the accused and accuser involved in issues of sexual assault and harassment aren't things I wish to sit silently on until a verdict arrives. They are things worth discussing here and now - even in the context of not having all the evidence and how we treat people while the issues are being resolved (or, in most cases, NEVER resolved).

I don't "doubt victims" and advocating prudence is not counter to the statement "believe women".

Again, I reiterate, take the statements seriously and let's very much have the conversation about what protections need to be in place for both sides - CHIEFLY the accusers - during these volatile situations.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
The thing is in this is, nothing he did was illegal was it? He was being a creep, super clingy but I don't think he broke any laws? So like other than speak out, what could she do? What he did was wrong, gross and ugh, but she has no legal discourse there even if she wanted to. People need to give up on the "go to the courts"
Couldn't agree more. People keep saying this should be deferred to the courts and I'm trying to fathom what exactly thay expect women to be able to put forth as evidence for sexual harassment and predatory behaviour years prior. In other threads people have asked for concrete evidence. It's ridiculous and a shut-down with little thought to it. Especially when other cases and actions that do amount to a crime and should result in criminal action rarely do.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
What a trump way to handle it. Way to show other people that if you speak up we will c and d you as anyone with enough money can do a c and d.

Fucking trash. I saw on the other thread bout him that he is apparently a homophobe and a transphobe? He also really really enjoys his guns? He caters to incels?

Well he's definitely gotten roasted recently, largely by the right-wing crowd people are thinking of. He's more of a centrist than anything. Not that that's a solid stance to have lol.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
I still fail to see why she would lie about this though.
What's there to gain?
Insults/threats from Joe's fanbase??

To be clear here. I dont accuse her of doing this.

In general what would come to my mind is that such a person wants the attention and publicity from such a story. These stories get postet everywhere and smaller content creators (or other public figures in other industries) could profit from the attention.

In other cases in rare cases women falsely accused Pro-Football/Basketball etc. Players to start a lawsuit, demanding millions as compensation.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
If only that was what I wrote.

As the poster above put it, I am also imploring people to take all accusations seriously, that even our own forum's missteps (which I've seen repeated a few too many times) should not lessen the actual impact of the #MeToo movement, and that with Joe's response - including his statement that he can produce receipts - it would be prudent to calm several people here demanding he and his career go up in flames.

One can take the accusations deathly serious while not grabbing your pitchfork.

I've LONG championed and marched and demonstrated and protested and fought for the rights of sexual assault victims, so I'll just assume tempers are heated right now and not take your accusation that I'm dismissing the validity of her statement to heart. I have a long history of promoting and posting on this site about recovery, help, and promoting reform for victims of sexual abuse.

The conversation for how we treat both the accused and accuser involved in issues of sexual assault and harassment aren't things I wish to sit silently on until a verdict arrives. They are things worth discussing here and now - even in the context of not having all the evidence and how we treat people while the issues are being resolved (or, in most cases, NEVER resolved).

I don't "doubt victims" and advocating prudence is not counter to the statement "believe women".

Again, I reiterate, take the statements seriously and let's very much have the conversation about what protections need to be in place for both sides - CHIEFLY the accusers - during these volatile situations.
Like, my statement was obviously about the person whose only post in this thread was literally, "I'll just wait for more facts."

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
You can take anyone to court for what you believe to be a defamatory statement (something that causes harm to you, whether financial or otherwise) and it'd be up to you to disprove the statement made against you. In this case, he's mentioned factual inaccuracies which are easy to prove/disprove alongside apparent witnesses to the claims against him

Whether he would win or not isn't what I'm arguing, I'm saying that he seems to be absolutely certain of his innocence, and that the C&D is being used as a tool to push her down... which you agree is commonly done.

Just don't see how it doesn't look like he's bullying her down with a C&D instead of having the conviction to go straight to court

I wasn't commenting on the merits of the case, I was just explaining that the twitter post you spoke about is not admissible evidence without taking additional steps to make it so. Yes, Joe is well within his rights to file a libel suit but more than likely he will lose because statistics have long shown that the vast majority of libel suits are losers or at best huge money pits that will disclose even more lewd details during discovery and depositions. You are viewing a C&D as a strong arm tactic yet a lawsuit is exactly that x100.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let me use my fortune to brow beat my victim into silence about what I did to them. That actually makes me an Ally and friend to REAL victims.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (1 week): encouraging internet detective work
It's clear that this statement was under meticulous scrunity of a lawyer. He denies the obvious but didn't provide any more details, so he can't contradict himself later.

But the details about those photos can easily be verified.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I didn't say that. I just want to see how this plays out before I personally decide to do anything.

If more come forward I'll know for certain that he's lying and will gladly stop watching his stuff.
The fact you are still willing to watch his stuff despite all of this kind of says alot about your opinion of her and her accusations imo.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We know that women don't speak out because they have a concern, backed by data and history, that their allegations won't be believed, taken seriously or handled appropriately by authorities or those in positions of power. This has led to a breaking point where women have start speaking out publically about the people that have harassed and assaulted them.

The response when they speak out against people in positions of wealth and influence?
"Go to court!"

The issue itself is that the system isn't weighted equally between the victim and those accused. Simply requesting everything be channeled back through it is being blind to the issue and encouraging the status quo be kept. Supporting victims involves understanding the complications around why demanding concrete evidence isn't viable in cases and not simply asking them to use the system that's kept them silent until that point.
You are completely right about all of this, but I also want to reiterate that she never accused him of anything illegal and she obviously knows this. Why would she go to court or law enforcement over his predatory behavior if they both know it wasn't illegal? That's a waste of time, that's why she spoke out about it publicly.

Plenty of gross, sexist and predatory behavior is not illegal. Seinfield dating a 17 year old was sure as fuck predatory and gross but it wasn't illegal. Legality and morality are not necessarily the same thing.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I'm inclined to lean towards believing that he did it. Or at the very least did it without noticing it because it's part of his personality.

Her story does not mention assault, nor does it mention Joe bringing up "sex". It's entirely about how she felt uncomfortable from reading between the lines i.e. what Joe was alluding to during heir interaction. He doesn't have to explicitly say "sex" to imply that.

Notice how he doesn't actually directly deny the "come join me in shower" thing.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
All that statement says is you doubt victims.

What an asinine position to hold. You don't have to "both sides" an issue. You can take interest and concern in a case without choosing any side, because no evidence in either direction has been presented. Claiming that you'd like to wait for evidence isn't positioning doubt on a victim, it's literally what it says -- you don't know because facts have not been presented. I don't know why you'd twist it that way.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Like, my statement was obviously about the person whose only post in this thread was literally, "I'll just wait for more facts."
And, as I defended, there seems to be an active attempt from both parties to further substantiate their statements, and while we wait we need to continue the discussion of appropriate ways to talk about the situation.

Being undecided and working through and processing events - and expressing that - is a healthy way to process news and information. Nobody should be shamed for it, and if you feel that's not beneficial, then it's worth talking it through about why you feel that way too. Again, there's been misunderstandings before here that "I'm not sure what to think right now" runs counter to the statement "believe women", and the movement itself has never said that's the case.

It's okay to just not know what to think right now, and it's emotionally healthy to vent about that.

Yoh

Nov 19, 2017
After my panel, we met up with my friend Other Joe and we all traveled together to the hotel where she chose to wait while I showered and got ready for the dinner.
Why? Why would someone bring a person they barely know to their hotel and make them wait while they showered?

Inyourprime

Oct 25, 2017
So even after this statement, and his weak ass C&D, he is still on twitter going after her. So much for him sticking to legal advice and keeping his mouth shut. Asshole.

This statement does nothing for me.

TheDave545

Nov 4, 2017
Frankly none of us know anything about what happened, and we are all going to say guilty or not guilty based on whether we previously liked him or not. This should be settled in court.
This is pretty much the only comment that should be on here, unless people have evidence that backs either party up then you should just be quiet and wait for it to be sorted legally.

Too many personal opinions being thrown about because they don't like the guy or his stream (I dont watch any of his stuff anyways, not really a streamer sort of person).

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
I do not think this is a good reply.

He's equivocating around things like whether he literally and explicitly said the word "sex", and setting up a blatant strawman of sexual assault (which isn't what the woman's claims are about).

The paragraph about her being a "grown up" is also super gross. The accusations are precisely about the type of implicit power that men exert over women, in ways that are extremely tangible yet hard to definitively prove. Saying "She's a grown up." is a denigrating strawman argument; being over the age of 18 doesn't prevent this type of harassment from happening.

If he's innocent, he's acting like a selfish asshole nonetheless.

Donepalace

Mar 16, 2019
This is shit, honestly.

I don't believe anyone, who knows who is telling the truth, but one thing is true, accusations over internet are becoming a weapon to destroy people lives, no matter if they are true or not

And it's scary.

(Im not siding with anyone, if the case is true then im glad it came out to light, im just really worried about the current situation, nothing can be believed)

The dudes own story of events just happens to involve dragging this chick he hardly knows around with him all day to these hangouts he just removed all the predatory parts to make him look good imo

before I didn't know which side I was on but after his statement I think the girl is speaking her truth
Why would he drag her around town all day it doesn't make sense

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sexual assault is an alarming accusation and should always be taken seriously. If I or anyone had committed an offense then it should be reported to the police and investigated thoroughly. I urge this person to do that if she believes an offense occurred so I can clear my name. However instead of affording me due process, she decided to post false claims out of the blue more than two years later. The consequence is damage to not only my reputation, career, and brand, but also those whom I employ, my friends and my family – all because many people don't bother to examine the facts, only the salacious headline.

This part here is some bullshit. She never said he assaulted her and never accused him of anything illegal. What would she have reported to the police? Is he purposely conflating a story about him being a creep with being accused of assault?

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
The fact you are still willing to watch his stuff despite all of this kind of says alot about your opinion of her and her accusations imo.

It's the downside parasocial relationships and sadly I am not immune. I don't want to stop consuming content I enjoy but I also don't want to support a garbage person who isn't the slightest but sorry.

I just need time to process things. I am not trying to make light of the victim or other victims and I'm sorry if I've given that impression.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
You are completely right about all of this, but I also want to reiterate that she never accused him of anything illegal and she obviously knows this. Why would she go to court or law enforcement over his predatory behavior if they both know it wasn't illegal? That's a waste of time, that's why she spoke out about it publicly.

Plenty of gross, sexist and predatory behavior is not illegal. Seinfield dating a 17 year old was sure as fuck predatory and gross but it wasn't illegal. Legality and morality are not necessarily the same thing.
Likewise you're completely right. It was a response to people immediately demanding it be taken to court when it's hard to understand exactly what they expect the woman involved to be able to provide or find recourse from within that. Edited it to draw attention to the below instead as the wider point is better explained in the follow up post.

It makes it clear how many people have read Joe's piece but not the victims when they immediately follow the line of taking it to the police and walking things back.

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
[
The dudes own story of events just happens to involve dragging this chick he hardly knows around with him all day to these hangouts he just removed all the predatory parts to make him look good imo

before I didn't know which side I was on but after his statement I think the girl is speaking her truth
Why would he drag her around town all day it doesn't make sense

Cuz he was interested in her?

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Yep, it's gaslighting what her original point was.

I don't believe him, and if he is innocent, he is doing everything to make himself seem guilty.
I'm curious about that regarding the pictures on the bed. That is the part of the story I don't get. They laid back together or something and snapped a few pictures. She said it was so he could show folks later that they were together in the hotel room? He says nothing like that happened?

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
The problem with making statements of fact about something that took place 2 years ago, and the reason why his lawyer probably told him not to be too specific is the same reason you don't do this with police either.

It can make you look bad if you don't recall correctly.

If you say that x happened, because to your recollection it did, but it turns out you misremembered and x didn't happen or it happened a bit differently or even someone says it didn't happen but THEY are the ones misremembering, people don't think, you misremembered. People think you lied.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Likewise you're completely right. It was a response to people immediately demanding it be taken to court when it's hard to understand exactly what they expect the woman involved to be able to provide or find recourse from within that. Edited it to make it clear it's a broader point and in closing that this was never claimed to be criminal in nature.

It makes it clear how many people have read Joe's piece but not the victims when they immediately follow the line of taking it to the police and walking things back.
You're good, I understood what you were saying I just wanted to elaborate on that aspect. Him only talking about this as if it is a criminal/legal matter is a purposeful tactic on his part to muddy the waters. He KNOWS that there is nothing criminal/illegal to this, and that's why he is placing the focus on that aspect of it so when it is confirmed that nothing illegal happened he can say "see, nothing happened" and sweep it all under the rug.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Joe absolutely did not write this.
lol obviously. Can't help but feel like AJ basically said to his lawyer "So yeah, I did it. Any idea?"
Lawyer: "Speedy justice for you coming up."
1uvYXTW.jpg

Brokofiev

Jun 20, 2019
Pretty standard, formulaic response from Joe. Honestly, the most damning part of the whole thing for me was that screenshot of her DMs with Joe (since removed from the Medium article, unfortunately): he instantly came off as pretty creepy, especially with that "you can cheer me up" line. I don't know how you read that without seeing a pretty clear hint at potential physical intimacy.

TheLastOne

Oct 25, 2017
Even if her story is overstated, or he didn't understand that he was making her uncomfortable as sometimes those signals are not always super straightforward if not explicitly stated, it's still not a great look for him. Is what he did sexual assault or harassment? No, but it doesn't have to be raised to that level to be something we shouldn't be seeing from someone who is supposed to be a role model.

Those who believe she is outright lying are just absolutely missing the point. She has nothing to gain and a lot more to lose from this "5 minutes of fame". While there are cases (few and far between) where this has happened, simply dismissing every account as a result is not a reasonable option and has gone on for far too long already.

I think it's pretty obvious he was interested in her and his intentions went beyond simply trying to help her with her streaming career. However, there is nothing automatically wrong with that.

However, some of the things in her account seem to be difficult or impossible to simply waive away. Others might simply be miscommunication or two people not reading the same situation the same way. Let's assume he took her purse and gave it to the coat check guy, which is seemingly likely from reading both statements. From her perspective, since she was already uncomfortable and looking to reach out to her boyfriend and other friends, that might have seemed like a way to silence her and keep her isolated. From his perspective, he might have thought he was being nice to her so she wouldn't have to lug around her bag.

Very different takes on the same event and both completely true.

Last edited:

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
His response honestly makes him look worse. It's a very dudebro approach to take with "You're a big girl and I didn't force you to do anything, so what's the problem?"

He sounds exactly like the type of person who would throw a proposition out there and just claim it's a joke if it fell flat.

Thanos

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2020
She never phrased it as assault or levelled it as the focal point of her concerns though, so the use of that point to make her seem unreliable is suspect to me.

The point is that she made several statements that can be constituted as an assault. Remember we are the audience and through her writing we are literally recreating in our minds what happened and it seems very physical. Based on her statement it would be seen as controlling, isolating and physically abusive series of events and actions. Hence the term 'predator'.

" Joe grabs me and says "we have to go" and he took me away from Allen."

" Joe then grabs my purse and phone and hands it to someone where I can't see and eventually I'm unable to find for several hours."

"Joe has his hands around me or on me as much as he can."

"If I'm not glued to him, he had to find me"

" hand my drinks off whenever Joe wasn't looking"

"would try to find my stuff when Joe would go to the bathroom."

"Joe spun me around"

" Joe pulled me off to the side out of sight from the bouncer, everyone at the bar, "

" pushed me against a wall "

Ofcourse in response he says..

At the party she checked her bag/belongings. At no point did I ever take her phone or purse or deny her access to them. In fact she posted photos to her Twitter of her with other people throughout the night. I never grabbed, dragged, pushed, pulled, cornered, or spun her in any direction as she claims. I did not make her stay by my side at all times as she claims. We mingled at the party separately much of the time.

Last edited:

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Yes obviously I'm saying his version involved dragging this chick around all day and he wants us to just accept it as that nnaaaa AJ

I mean, his claim just makes it sound like they were both willingly hanging out, not that he dragged her around?

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty standard, formulaic response from Joe. Honestly, the most damning part of the whole thing for me was that screenshot of her DMs with Joe (since removed from the Medium article, unfortunately): he instantly came off as pretty creepy, especially with that "you can cheer me up" line. I don't know how you read that without seeing a pretty clear hint at potential physical intimacy.
She also had DMs from someone at the party who reached out to her to ask if she was OK because they noticed something was off about the way he was interacting with her. That's about as much proof as you are even going to get that she was uncomfortable beyond her own words. Not that more 'proof' of her discomfort was necessary, considering she is the only authority on whether or not his actions made her uncomfortable.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
You're good, I understood what you were saying I just wanted to elaborate on that aspect. Him only talking about this as if it is a criminal/legal matter is a purposeful tactic on his part to muddy the waters. He KNOWS that there is nothing criminal/illegal to this, and that's why he is placing the focus on that aspect of it so when it is confirmed that nothing illegal happened he can say "see, nothing happened" and sweep it all under the rug.
Completely, and it worked. Even right now people are picking apart her post to point out how 'actually she was saying he assaulted her' while ignoring the actual message of the post itself. Frustrating to see though far from surprising. People content to chant Believe Women and then introduce every caveat under the sun when it comes to doing so.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Completely, and it worked. Even right now people are picking apart her post to point out how 'actually she was saying he assaulted her' while ignoring the actual message of the post itself. Frustrating to see though far from surprising. People content to chant Believe Women and then introduce every caveat under the sun when it comes to doing so.
Yup.