• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Sadly, the only thing that can corroborates her allegation is if another victim step forward. I have no doubt shit like this is not a one time thing, they just always managed to get away with it.

Yeah this never only happens once. They can't help themselves once they get away with it.
hinestly I don't know and I previously liked him. But her account does seem to say it is some one acting in a way he can have deniability later (he doesn't go far enough to be blatent, most things are implied, and he can easily say she's just being over reactive) and his reply would be what I expect of some one who is that manipulative. That and just judging from what I see of him I could see him being that way (but, I don't know the man and can only judge from his show. Sure, it's a persona but actors still put a little of themselves in their roles and this is a personality he came up with himself to play).

In the end, I really don't know. But if she is not lying then he is a POS and this statement makes him even more of one cause he is very much trying to victimize her more by playing, "it's all in her head." And trying to make her look bad and maybe make her doubt herself. I know there is a word I want to use for that but I can't remember it right now.

Gaslighting? I think.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
When you lay out the sequence of events that way there's very little question that the dude was trying to creep on her.
Knowing how the majority of guys work, I'm 99% sure he was at least interested in her. Now did he do really creepy stuff to try and get with her? I'm leaning to yes but have no proof. He could of easily just been flirty and normal guy but with how he denied it and didn't just call it a misunderstanding...it's...yeah I believe he was being at least a creep.

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Concern trolling in a sensitive thread
Ya'll need relax with the insults and attacks from both sides and wait until this is played out and the "real" facts surface instead of calling her a liar and calling him shit.

But it does seem like now that he's brought in a lawyer she's walking back on her allegations. We'll see.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be surprised if he lost any substantial amount of subscribers over this at all, a rounding error on 3.24 million subs means...its likely not changed at all nor will it if someone else doesnt come forward (preferably someone who can afford a lawyer)

Joe's audience won't care about this. In fact, this will likely give him support from the anti-SJW crowd. Joe may get bigger from this.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
the reason why people use threats of lawsuits and lawyers is specifically because sexual assault is so difficult to prove, especially so far removed from the incident

unless the person was raped and went and had a rape kit done right after, or if there is tangible documented evidence like text messages or photographs, there's really no way to definitively prove that anything happened to them. that's why controlling behaviour is the way it is, limiting who people can talk with and taking away or monitoring what they do with their phone

that's not to say that joe is guilty at all, just when people flaunt lawyers and demand the victim use the legal process if they want to say anything it's a huge red flag to me. max temkin did the exact same thing with his original rape allegation and time has kind of shown what kind of a person he is.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Not much to go off really, it's just her word against his then. I'd say the bit about the phone is interesting though. She said he took away her phone, and he says she posted pictures during the party. Surely that's not too difficult to prove either way?

It's not for me to say who's guilty or not, just not enough facts to go off. These are serious accusations and need to be properly investigated. I'll wait and see when we hear more.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
I think what's happening here is that Joe believes he didn't do anything wrong because he didn't physically assault her, but the problem is that he doesn't realize that everything else he was doing is also wrong.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Since they were in public places maybe they'll get witnesses to get the truth out of this?

I think what's happening here is that Joe believes he didn't do anything wrong because he didn't physically assault her, but the problem is that he doesn't realize that everything else he was doing is also wrong.

I think that's what is happening too. I haven't watched angry joe show in years because I can't stand his very pushy, I want to be in the spotlight, personality. I always felt he was brushing off other joe a lot and it doesn't seem he realized it. I wouldn't be surprised if that extended to private relations and not just the show.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Ya'll need relax with the insults and attacks from both sides and wait until this is played out and the "real" facts surface instead of calling her a liar and calling him shit.

But it does seem like now that he's brought in a lawyer she's walking back on her allegations. We'll see.
It's honestly hard to take your alleged concern for facts seriously when you can't even keep up with the fact she never claimed he assaulted her and it wasn't an angle of focus in her post.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Joe continues to be a trash person even in defense of himself.

I believe the victim though. His threats to shut her up do nothing to convince me of his innocence.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Well thats what the cease and desist is about, without legal representation she'll probably be too scared to respond to his version of events

and looking at angry joe latest video, its almost entirely "we support you" and more victim blaming from comments

I'd be surprised if he lost any substantial amount of subscribers over this at all, a rounding error on 3.24 million subs means...its likely not changed at all nor will it if someone else doesnt come forward (preferably someone who can afford a lawyer)

If Jontron can have his most popular video in his channel's history come out AFTER he outed himself as a neonazi supporting individual, then that pretty much proves that nobody at that size will lose subs over something bad they do. If anything it'll make them more popular with certain crowds of people.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
All these situations are... complicated... and I always try and avoid a mob mentality without more substantiated claims. That's neither ignoring or discrediting the accusations, nor absolving the accused, but I've seen this play out many ways, and this forum itself was tearing itself to pieces not that long ago over rushed-judgment with the Depp/Heard situation.

Ultimately, take the accusations serious, but don't rush to judgment.

Why even post this? If you're going to wait then don't let everyone know you are going to wait. Just wait without responding. You just look like that guy who is both siding it for some odd reason and you must tell people.
I don't think there's anything malicious here, only that the situation is one where the poster is struggling to form an opinion between two vastly conflicting stories. People have different thresholds in the court of public opinion.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Thanks for sharing, Kyuuji
So he conveniently avoids touching on the worst parts of her account where there were no witnesses.
He also makes no attempt at an apology for making her feel the way she did. It doesn't matter if he didn't explicitly ask for sex, he still clearly came across as a creep and made her feel uncomfortable.

Of course, he would never acknowledge this or show any hint of weakness whatsoever when he's surrounded by a mob of frothing babies who will see any form of human decency as "bending the knee".

I don't wish any actual harm upon Joe or hope that his business is damaged from this. That would be petty.
I only hope that Joe is actually smarter than he seems, and that he understands who he's made his bed with, and that this hurts him deeply as a person.
Hopefully he knows that he is actually being a shit human being, knowing that he was "forced" to react in this way in order to save face and please his followers.
Nothing bad will happen to him, and he will continue to garner support regardless. So I just hope he knows deep down what he represents here.

Time to offer some more support to Wookie.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
All these situations are... complicated... and I always try and avoid a mob mentality without more substantiated claims. That's neither ignoring or discrediting the accusations, nor absolving the accused, but I've seen this play out many ways, and this forum itself was tearing itself to pieces not that long ago over rushed-judgment with the Depp/Heard situation.

You do appreciate that the power of the so-called "mob" here is to post about this in a thread or two for awhile.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
For people saying it should go to court what evidence are you expecting someone be able to provide of sexual harassment and predatory behaviour a couple of years prior? We know from the Ubisoft case alone predators can be cunning in their methods to eliminate any potential angle of proof. Coupled with the data on how often people are prosecuted around rape, let-alone verbal harassment, and what real avenues do victims have? Especially when faced with the might of a legal team backed by Joe's resources and his ardent and active fan base.

It's easy to say we should defer to a court but neither the parties involved nor the system they're within are weighted equally.

The question you ask is "how do we serve justice?" The answer is that you follow the law as written.

Prematurely ruling in favor of one party or the other without seeing evidence perverts the law and weakens it, making it that much more difficult for justice to be served for other victims later. That's just the way law works.

If you don't believe the law is capable of handling it, what exactly do you suggest?

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Yeah this never only happens once. They can't help themselves once they get away with it.

Gaslighting? I think.

Yep. That is the word I'm thinking of. And yeah, I don't like how slick his reply is. It's "technically correct" even with what she says. And she pretty much said he didn't do anything overt but most stuff was more implied. And he makes sure to note he didn't do anything overt (outright assault or mentioning sex outright). Easily could see this being the story of a creep who knows the boundaries of what he can technically deny and make it seem it's all in her head if she dares say something against it.

Sleeprockss

Oct 27, 2017
yep

she told a story about him being a manipulative, disingenuous prick who abuses his platform

...which is kinda how he comes across in these attempts to defend himself

Yeah I believe him even more after his responses. The fact that hes accusing her of "walking back" the assault claim (false) and willfully ignoring accusations she made really doesn't come across well.

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
Joe says his claims can be confirmed by others, but didn't she have screenshots from a game dev at the bar that corroborated her claims?

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You do appreciate that the power of the so-called "mob" here is to post about this in a thread or two for awhile.
Here? Yeah, that's fine, but I'm cautioning against more radical action - threats, doxxing, harassment, etc.

I'm pretty sure you know what I meant, but apologies if that wasn't clear.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
The question you ask is "how do we serve justice?" The answer is that you follow the law as written.

Prematurely ruling in favor of one party or the other without seeing evidence perverts the law and weakens it, making it that much more difficult for justice to be served for other victims later. That's just the way law works.

If you don't believe the law is capable of handling it, what exactly do you suggest?
That isn't the question I asked and you ignored all of the points as to the concerns around letting the courts handle it. No-one is capable of prematurely ruling anything. This isn't a courtroom, so nothing is perverting justice. My post was asking what evidence people expect women to provide of instances of sexual harassment, assault or rape years after the fact when the immediate response is a cheer toward the court.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
I think that's what is happening too. I haven't watched angry joe show in years because I can't stand his very pushy, I want to be in the spotlight, personality. I always felt he was brushing off other joe a lot and it doesn't seem he realized it. I wouldn't be surprised if that extended to private relations and not just the show.
I've only seen a few of his videos and I caught that vibe too.

Something to keep in mind too is that almost everyone thinks that what they do is right/good. It's why social media is so toxic. All you have are a bunch of people with shitty opinions who can get those validated in an instance with little to no consequences.

unknownspectator

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
fuck Joe Vargas. What an Incel manbaby piece of filth. No innocent man would try to silence someone like that unless he was hiding something. tell me we are banning his reviews from this site now?

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think there's anything malicious here, only that the situation is one where the poster is struggling to form an opinion between two vastly conflicting stories. People have different thresholds in the court of public opinion.
Going into a conversation about allegations of sexual misconduct and the only input you have is, "Well, I'll wait for more facts." is quite rude. It adds zero to the conversation. If anyone wants to wait for more facts then they should do it silently. All that statement says is you doubt victims.

Olrac

Oct 26, 2017
California

You have summed up my thoughts in a concise manner in this part of your post. She has a right to be heard and he has an obligation to answer to these serious allegations.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Knowing how the majority of guys work, I'm 99% sure he was at least interested in her. Now did he do really creepy stuff to try and get with her? I'm leaning to yes but have no proof. He could of easily just been flirty and normal guy but with how he denied it and didn't just call it a misunderstanding...it's...yeah I believe he was being at least a creep.
Yeah, this interaction took place over what the accuser seems to feel was an excruciatingly long time and she also makes it pretty clear that the sustained advances across this interval of hours were unwelcome. That paints a pretty bad picture, to me, if this guy was trying to get her in bed for this long and I don't see any other reason he was behaving the way he was even in his recounting of events. From there, for me, it's enough that the woman felt uncomfortable enough about it that this was the outcome. To be clear though, I believe her and think things were much worse than Joe is willing to admit behind his lawyers and C&D orders.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
This.
If you accuse me of being me a sexual predator when I'm not, you can be sure your ass will get sued.
No weak C&D, I'm taking you to court no matter what

Defamation cases are hard to prove and can be costly.

Not to mention that if he HAD done that, filed for suit immediatley, there'd be people here saying the opposite of what you said: "If that was me I'd send a C&D instead of making her pay a ton fo money for lawyer to defend a defamation case".

This is a pretty unequivocal denial by Joe. I don't know what to think. Have there been any allegations by anyone else?

He claims there were multiple witnesses, has anyone else spoken up in defense of the victim or Joe?

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
God you think so? Have the community gone that deep into the rabbit hole?

I think it is distinctly possible. As soon as a crowd starts going anti-woke/anti-SJW I think it is already too late for them. JonTron had a sizable amount of progressive people in his community. Despite losing a large portion of those people when he came out as a giant racist, his channel grew substantially. The shitheels love to rally around repulsive personalities. From what I saw of Joe's community, it was already on the scummy side. I'm sure there are a ton of people who will embrace Joe more readily.

Hopefully, I am wrong.

Last edited:

KG

Banned
Oct 12, 2018
What a trump way to handle it. Way to show other people that if you speak up we will c and d you as anyone with enough money can do a c and d.

Fucking trash. I saw on the other thread bout him that he is apparently a homophobe and a transphobe? He also really really enjoys his guns? He caters to incels?

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
Frankly none of us know anything about what happened, and we are all going to say guilty or not guilty based on whether we previously liked him or not. This should be settled in court.

This. I usually dont post in such threads but its really bad that people here believe one side or the other purely based on the things one of those sides posted about.
There is no evidence to believe any of them.
Only the fact that its plausible with all the stuff happening the last few days. There definitely has to be further investigation to make things clear. But until then I wont call any of them a liar or worse.

Deleted member 7217

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Defamation cases are hard to prove and can be costly.

Not to mention that if he HAD done that, filed for suit immediatley, there'd be people here saying the opposite of what you said: "If that was me I'd send a C&D instead of making her pay a ton fo money for lawyer to defend a defamation case".

This is a pretty unequivocal denial by Joe. I don't know what to think. Have there been any allegations by anyone else?

He claims there were multiple witnesses, has anyone else spoken up in defense of the victim or Joe?

So far, not yet. No one's come forward with further allegations to my knowledge, either.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
One thing that jumped for me at reading his statement is that he just briefly touched the "shower" incident, which is objectively one of the most creepy parts on the allegations and which the accuser could felt the more uncomfortable and at risk. If she lawyers up too, she can ask the lawers to have him expand of the recollection on that part and make the case from there.

He seems very confident in his thinking that he did nothing wrong. I can't even begin in thinking how i would react if i feel i'm being falsy accused of very serious allegations and very publicly .

Last edited:

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
The demands to take it to court or that she's walking things back make it obvious how many have only read Joe's piece and not the victims.

Last edited:

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
There's virtually nothing to read into with this. It's a standard legal statement that denies doing anything that'd get him arrested or sued followed by a CnD notice.

Him continuing to go after her following the notice is really fucking scummy though; he may be upset but he must know that he's sending his army of fans after her.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: I realize I came across as dismissive and don't want to drag down the thread with my BS. I apologise.

Last edited: