• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
as long as it is only a skin that does not influence game balance..I really don't care.

Attitudes like this are why this stuff is just getting worse. A gun skin should never cost that much, even in a F2P game. Make the skins reasonable prices and people who don't normally spend money on MTX might actually be interested.

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Fuck Angry Joe for making that joke (even though he was already complete trash).

Who care about cosmetics. If it's not pay-to-win, it's not a big deal.

May 9, 2018
it is insane this is legal, i know people will always go with the concept of is your own money, you assign value to things differently bla bla bla bla....

but fuck it is a skin for a gun on a game

I know it is legal I know it is a free economy, but fuck i wish i lived in a world where this was not allowed.
I would strongly advise looking into how pricing works for luxury industries (especially the fashion industry, which is more analogous to cosmetic skins).

Price discrimination as an economic concept long predates the F2P market.

Attitudes like this are why this stuff is just getting worse. A gun skin should never cost that much, even in a F2P game. Make the skins reasonable prices and people who don't normally spend money on MTX might actually be interested.
As said many times, gaming companies don't charge $71 for a skin for teh lulz. They charge it because someone will buy it. And if they don't, they reduce the price so people will.

There are other less expensive skins.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
I get the "That's a really fucking dumb price, I'm gonna move on" reaction. I don't get the outrage reaction.

Frivolous, "fashion" items will always be priced way more than they're really worth. I will never be able to justify a luxury watch, or a "Collector's Edition" of a video game. I see the price of some watches when I walk by at the mall and I just keep walking. It is what it is, people who are much more privileged than me may or may not buy it, that's up to them.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah add me to the crowd who never understood the anger over this. What exactly is the problem?
We know from several Fortnite studies that having an ingame store that sells high (!) priced skins will often lead to social pressure and mobbing within friend groups. Especially if the game is targeting the younger audiences like Fortnite or Valorant do. "I don't care. It's just cosmetics!" does not help those people getting mobbed.

Think of it in the same way as people are putting pressure onto others to wear brand clothes to school.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

They don't care though. If they can sell 2 skins at $70 or 20 skins at $5 which do you think they're going to pick? It also adds to the "exclusivity" feeling that people like when they buy expensive stuff that other people don't have.

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
As someone who purchased items in the closed beta, and has the bundle in current valorant, my only problem with the price is the lack of radianite.

I don't mind spending $70 + on a bundle that contains quite a few skins. The issue becomes that it takes even more money to then upgrade those skins to the make level. And to do so, you need to use radianite, which is a separate purchasable currency. Upgrading one weapon will set you back a TON of money. If the current bundle offered upgrade materials too, it would be perfectly fine (imo).

empo

Jan 27, 2018
We know from several Fortnite studies that having an ingame store that sells high (!) priced skins can often lead to social pressure and mobbing within friend groups. Especially if the game is targeting the younger audiences like Fortnite or Valorant do. "I don't care. It's just cosmetics!" does not help those people getting targeted.

Think of it in the same way as people are putting pressure onto others to wear brand clothes to school.
Ok I get that but what exactly is the proposed solution here? It's always gonna be out of reach for someone. Googling a bit and school uniforms at a glance seem to lead to less bullying but then we can't have skins at all?

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Lol the discount keeping it in the range where you still have to buy the most expensive amount of In game currency. I dont play the game so I dont know if whatever is left over is enough to get something else or you still need to get more currency.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Attitudes like this are why this stuff is just getting worse.
I'd say the reason that it's getting worse is because there are people willing to pay $20, $30, $40 for a piece of cosmetic gear. A permissive attitude towards cosmetics does not inflate the asking prices......a market full of people willing to pay sky-high prices does.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Ok I get that but what exactly is the proposed solution here? It's always gonna be out of reach for someone. Googling a bit and school uniforms at a glance seem to lead to less bullying but then we can't have skins at all?
Skins on its own are fine but the problems occure once you artificially create a high-priced eco system while also targeting kids as your core audience.
This Polygon article goes more into details about F2P games, skins and bullying: Fortnite is free, but kids are getting bullied into spending money

I'd say you create less of that kind of tensions if you don't try to sell ingame cosmetics for $99 OR if you don't target kids for your player base.

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I just kill someone with a skin and take their weapon. It carries over as long as you dont die or buy a different gun.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe he made an "I can't breathe joke." What the fuck.

Skins on its own are fine but the problems occure once you artificially create a high-priced eco system while also targeting kids as your core audience.
This Polygon article goes more into details about F2P games, skins and bullying: Fortnite is free, but kids are getting bullied into spending money

I'd say you create less of that kind of tensions if you don't try to sell ingame cosmetics for $99 OR if you don't target kids for your player base.

So loot crates were bad because kids could become addicted to gambling, and now skins are bad because kids get bullied if they don't own expensive ones. At what point do we start blaming the kids and/or their parents for being shitty human beings instead of video games for the problems in society?

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017

This isn't really a good argument here. I agree the skins are ridiculously priced, but kids are going to find ways to bully each other regardless. Shit, I remember getting bullied in school because I had a yellow GBC by kids that didn't even have a fucking GBC.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Fucks me up that people wring their hands over content being expensive while the real problem is games that have endless spending options and no limits. Any game that can generate whales (regardless of the price of the individual purchases) is inherently troubling IMO. We shouldn't be okay with games that allow any people to spend themselves into debt.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the blind defense of "but it's free", "but it's expected".
The skins can cost more then a videogame, and that's okay because it's free

As long as a game's free it's okay to take advantage of players - that's what you're saying.

Where's the Era that used to scream about loot boxes putting people with addictive habits in debt?

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
It provides a way for a few people to get paid while making the fast majority do uncompensated work that can't even get used. That's not great.

Valve isn't making anyone do anything, and they still make and add their own skins. If Valve stopped accepting submissions tomorrow you think people would stop making skins? People make skins for lots of games for free and for fun. And in CS they have the potential to get paid for it. That is great.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I can't stand the style or content of Angry Joe, but checking out the clip it's pretty clear to me that the guy said "I can't breathe" because Joe was in his face and not letting him breathe. It's a very common saying that people use in many situations, I think reading it as definitely a joke about George Floyd's death is pretty disingenuous.

That said, the phrase clearly has a charged meaning right now and they should have caught it was a bad time to say it and edited it out in post.

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
dunno bout that one

hqurXrf.png
You can resell and make your money back, or even profit

These Valorant skins are just lost money.

the lizard

Nov 1, 2017
I've heard a phrase: "If it is free you are probably the product".

It makes a perfect sense in Valorant case.

By just playing this free game, you are making this items worth something. You are just not the target group.

I actually don't really think that old saying applies here. The product in this case is digital items (and the art, special effects, etc.) for use within their digital ecosystem. The game itself is what gives those digital items value and serves as an entry point into the marketing funnel for those digital items. The saying you refer to only really makes sense for digital advertising focused companies (Google, Facebook, and most social media).

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Valve isn't making anyone do anything, and they still make and add their own skins. If Valve stopped accepting submissions tomorrow you think people would stop making skins? People make skins for lots of games for free and for fun. And in CS they have the potential to get paid for it. That is great.
They're not making anyone do anything, they're just employing exploitative work practices and profit immensely off it because they have an audience willing to let themselves get exploited.

You can resell and make your money back, or even profit

These Valorant skins are just lost money.
You can make your money back in Steam funny money, but to just break even you have to hope the item price goes up due to the marketplace tax, and more often than not that's a losing game. The whole item "economy" and how people rationalize it to themselves is gross to me.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
The I can't breathe thing should actually be what this thread is about.
Yeah what the fuck ?
Why are people ignoring this ?
Who the fuck honestly cares about cosmetic shit when we have jackasses making a "I can't breath" joke.
Why isn't this thread locked already (AngryJoe should be banned as well tbh)

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
ePIC F AI L !!

joe's heart is obviously in the right place here and I respect his commitment to consumer advocacy but his thumbnails and sense of humor are painfully dated

Sadly, that's just what you need to to get your your channel breathing these days it seems, a bunch of good channels turned to these thumbnails and even changed the video titles.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
You guys woke up about this just now?

Riot has been doing this for 10 years, it's nothing new.

Neophy

Dec 6, 2018
I can't stand the style or content of Angry Joe, but checking out the clip it's pretty clear to me that the guy said "I can't breathe" because Joe was in his face and not letting him breathe. It's a very common saying that people use in many situations, I think reading it as definitely a joke about George Floyd's death is pretty disingenuous.

That said, the phrase clearly has a charged meaning right now and they should have caught it was a bad time to say it and edited it out in post.
yeah i got the same too, in the context of the situation, it wasn't meant as joke about George Floyd's death. But rather them goofing around because OJ was breathing in on the mic and AJ getting mad at him, it is a common phrase but who knows...I recommend people to watch the video before posting an opinion though

Last edited:

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
They're not making anyone do anything, they're just employing exploitative work practices and profit immensely off it because they have an audience willing to let themselves get exploited.

You can make your money back in Steam funny money, but to just break even you have to hope the item price goes up due to the marketplace tax, and more often than not that's a losing game. The whole item "economy" and how people rationalize it to themselves is gross to me.

Skin submissions aren't supposed to be a full time job lol, it's a way for people who do it anyways to get paid for it. Point out other games that offer to pay people for their mod/skin work. I'll wait for that short list.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
I like Valorant, but its financial model is one of the worst I've ever seen. It's like the epitome of F2P, whale-hunting greed. It's sickening, honestly, and Riot needs to improve it.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Yea, they'll never get a dime from me.

The only people I've seen rocking skins are streamers. These are not the times to waste money like this.

There's very little funny about Steambuxx. You can buy games, hardware, and so on with ease.

You can also resell CSGo skins for cash through trusted websites and channels. Worrying about taxes and making your money back misses the point: you can make money back or just straight up make money off items that can be resold.

This shit? It's just money being burned.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Skin submissions aren't supposed to be a full time job lol, it's a way for people who do it anyways to get paid for it. Point out other games that offer to pay people for their mod/skin work. I'll wait for that short list.
Point out other companies that waste thousands of collective hours of work they don't do themselves on an abusive practice? Yeah I'd hope it's a pretty fuckin' short list.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah what the fuck ?
Why are people ignoring this ?
Who the fuck honestly cares about cosmetic shit when we have jackasses making a "I can't breath" joke.
Why isn't this thread locked already (AngryJoe should be banned as well tbh)

Holy hell, watch the video again. It's because of the nose noises, he meant "apparently I can't breathe anymore" since Joe was getting bothered by nose noises.

Ab4dd0n

Oct 25, 2017
About the "i can't breathe" thing, this is the context: 5:26

Maybe my english is not the best but i will try:
Someone was breathing in the mic when joe talks, so he goes to where other joe is and he [OJ] just stop breathing to see if he was making the sound, and because of that he [OJ] says i can't breathe.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Actually valve offers hundreds of thousands of dollars to the people who make these skins, and each skin dev gets a cut of the marketplace sales of their skins, and around upfront $40000-60000 dollars.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Gamers need to stop being mad at games and start petitioning elected officials to change ratings systems to "Stop kids from gambling"

Angry Joe has a huge platform and viewership. He could be leading the charge instead of being ANGRY SCREAMING MAN WTFFFFFFFF IS THIS AAAHHHHHHHH

Ab4dd0n

Oct 25, 2017
Holy hell, watch the video again. It's because of the nose noises, he meant "apparently I can't breathe anymore" since Joe was getting bothered by nose noises.

A lot of people will only read the hat first comment whit that bad take and just keep saying the same, without watching the video because, perhaps, they dont like AJ.
The same happens when someone put a bait thread title, they dont read the OP or the article and just post based on the title.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Not entirely sure when people are going to begin internalizing that cosmetics are a fundamental part of the gameplay loop for a lot of people. Over-monetizing cosmetics like this exists for a reason and it's not because it doesn't work. Enough people consider cosmetics important enough to their enjoyment of a game to make putting this sort of ridiculous pricing into the game worth it.

It's real gross to see people constantly defend this with, "So long as it's cosmetic, who cares?"
You could apply the same argument to the entire luxury market. But there's a demand for those types of items so the market will cater to it.

The people that don't care about overpriced cosmetics aren't required to care about those that do. Not anymore than people working out are required to care about overpriced athletic wear. Because that clothing isn't a necessary part of a workout. And the people that think it is can't impose their value systems on those that do not. Especially when not caring is the objectively better path.