• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Yeah, I liked it for what it was, it's a B-tier movies homage style movie

Earthbound is one of the best episodes. I really need to finish that game one day, but something always happens in the way (one day emulating it in my laptop, it suddendly died lol)

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
I didn't care for the AVGN movie. The production was good but it was still a tad amateur.

Better than the Channel Awesome movies, probably. But that's not saying much.

Void

Oct 28, 2017
What a fantastic episode that was, here's Jame's creation process for this episode from the description:

James said:
This video has been in the works since last October (2017), when I first started the playing Earthbound on the mini SNES Classic. It wasn't originally meant to be an AVGN episode. It was for myself.

I never played much of Earthbound before, but it's a game that always appealed to me. Yes, even when I saw the ads in Nintendo Power. The only reason I never played it much was because I was too busy with Final Fantasy 3 (6) and Chrono Trigger. SNES has so many amazing masterpieces, it's almost impossible to play them all. But after more than 20 years, I owed it to myself to complete Earthbound.

The gameplay took me 45 and a half hours. After recording it all, I decided to put all those hours to good use, and make a video. At first, I didn't think it would be an AVGN episode, but more of a casual "James review". But I realized there were plenty of wacky moments in the game that the Nerd could react to.

If you're wondering about the characters' names such as "Milly" and "Lilly", my 4 year old daughter named them.

To write the script, I had to search through 45+ hours of game footage, to confirm and describe accurately all the moments that I wanted to comment on. Then came a bunch of researching facts, and developing my own personal theories. It turned out, I had a ton to say. It became the longest single-part AVGN episode, by total accident (running nearly 40 minutes). On top of that, I couldn't resist adding a dream scene with laborious green screen effects. In total, counting gameplay, writing, shooting, editing, the entire video took 137.5 hours to finish, making it the 2nd most time-consuming AVGN episode to date. (Episode 139: Mega Man still barely holds the record at 138.5 hours). Ironically Earthbound was meant to be a break for myself, but it turned into a major task, as all my other projects screeched to a halt.

I had fun with this video and am happy with it, but now that it's finally done, I hope to get back to my personal long-term projects such as a film and a book I am trying to write. But I will always be jumping back and forth with AVGN episodes. I'm always trying to keep those coming.

-James

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
I just got done watching the Earthbound episode and it's easily one of his best episode and also one of my favorite. I have fuzzy memories of Earthbound, when i played it i was quite young so most of the weird stuff in the game flew over my head but seeing it now with adult eyes...whew, what a game.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, Batman: Dark Tomorrow, Drake of the 99 Dragons, Carmageddon 64, & even Alien: Colonial Marines are new games that he's referenced to as being bad. Potential future episodes?

Pretty decent episode. Short, but to the point & felt like his older episodes. Plus it was neat hearing him talking about the series as a whole & all the references to the Clint Eastwood films.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fun episode.

James movie knowledge and trivia will never not entertain me.

Jeez I remember when Spoony reviewd this game.

Oct 25, 2017
Not AVGN related, but it looks like James started a new series.

A roundtable review show set in James' base- I mean video rental store.
Seems familiar...
Jokes aside, this seems like a good idea. Love hearing James talk about movies.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
& that is exactly why I held off getting Netflix for so long. Make a list of shows I want to see, look at said list, realize "boy, I don't know what to pick", then just go back to YouTube & rewatch something I've seen 4 times.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017

Oh, man. I can't wait for these two episodes to come to YouTube. I can relate way more to shitty PS2/Xbox/GC games than I ever could NES-era games simply because I played that generation more. But boy, Drake and Angel of Darkness, he just went straight to the heart of the shit mountain didn't he?

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017

Oh, man. I can't wait for these two episodes to come to YouTube. I can relate way more to shitty PS2/Xbox/GC games than I ever could NES-era games simply because I played that generation more. But boy, Drake and Angel of Darkness, he just went straight to the heart of the shit mountain didn't he?

Thinking about getting Prime just to see this but it'd be such a waste since can't order anything with or no interest in other series.. Oh well at least it's nice to know some AVGN is coming up soon!
Did someone look how long normally it takes between Amazon release and Youtube?

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Last time it was a week or two, although I suspect he'll have a week gap between Episode 3 & 4.

The Drake of 99 Dragons episode is excellent. I'll wait until later to watch Tomb Raider.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
First XBOX game review?
You could cheat & say Shadow the Hedgehog considering that was multiplatform, but it was only one game being reviewed in a group of games. This is indeed the first Xbox focused episode & the first Xbox exclusive game he's played.

....also Xbox came out almost 17 years ago, sheesh. Guess that's "retro" enough to allow the system on the show now.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
The time has come for James to make a decision about his hair because it is starting to hit him hard.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
The time has come for James to make a decision about his hair because it is starting to hit him hard.
Maybe he want to go this style

images

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I know, but we had usually threads for Monster Madness and I want to know if we continue with this
I'd like it, personnally. I've done marathons for the past three years but because of some personnal stuff I don't feel like it this year, but James' reviews are usually perfect to put me in the mood, and also discussing about it. Well I guess I'll watch some old ones, I always forget stuff, he has put out a lot of horror reviews over the years.
I've tried to watch one of the Rental videos he has started to do with his friends. It's okay but it seems to drag for too long. Don't know if I need half an hour of unscripted discussion about Surf Ninjas.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I'd like it, personnally. I've done marathons for the past three years but because of some personnal stuff I don't feel like it this year, but James' reviews are usually perfect to put me in the mood, and also discussing about it. Well I guess I'll watch some old ones, I always forget stuff, he has put out a lot of horror reviews over the years.
I've tried to watch one of the Rental videos he has started to do with his friends. It's okay but it seems to drag for too long. Don't know if I need half an hour of unscripted discussion about Surf Ninjas.
I really dont like the rental shop reviews. But his Hollow Man Video review was amazing.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Screenwave Media buyout of Cinemassacre has just been garbage all around. They wrote a few AVGN episodes like the Dirty Harry one and these Rental Reviews are just trash.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Screenwave Media buyout of Cinemassacre has just been garbage all around. They wrote a few AVGN episodes like the Dirty Harry one and these Rental Reviews are just trash.
What do you mean, other guys have been writing AVGN episodes?...
Didn't know they had been bought. Isn't Screenwave Media something akin to a manager for an artist though? I don't think they're really supposed to be involved in the creative process. But I know nothing about this so, time for some googling I guess.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Personally I've been really liking the rental reviews. The From Dusk Til Dawn one is especially great. I've always preferred these type of roundtable discussions reviews similar to what RedLetterMedia do. It also helps they they're discussing some of my favourite movies and Event Horizon is up next which I fucking love!

Last edited:

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
The Tomb Raider episode is one of the best in a while.

Also, I've been enjoying the rental review series so far. The best stuff is when it's just James or sometimes when he is with Mike, but I don't mind when he tries something else with new people.