• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who absolutely hates MM this is quite entertaining.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Also this AVGN episode was great, one of his best ones in quite some time.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
How many of the gameplay elements he talked about were improved in the 3DS remake?
There's a lot of gameplay elements in the remake that were made worse.

If you mean his complaints specifically...

The camera in the 3DS remake is generally better.

The part with the giant skeleton was made easier in the remake, but to the point where it's become pathetically easy (also there's ways to make it easier in the N64 version that he didn't try, like shooting arrows to stun him or using the Bunny Hood to move faster).

Like he mentioned, the water sparkles in the Great Bay Temple dungeon to show you exactly where to shoot. But this completely removes what made the Ice Arrows interesting in the first place. In the 3DS remake you can ONLY make ice platforms where the sparkles are, instead of anywhere. It also kinda ruins one memorable room where you need to use the Ice Arrows to create platforms in order to stand in a specific spot so you can hookshot up to the ceiling. In the original version you need to think a little to come up with that solution, but in the remake you just follow the sparkles.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't watched the video yet but don't you get a song that slows down time significantly? It made the timer a non issue.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Haven't watched the video yet but don't you get a song that slows down time significantly? It made the timer a non issue.

IIRC you play the song of time backwards or double up all the notes or something and it slows down time.

But even with that crutch, I had problems managing time in the game. Still fun, though, IMO.

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
Just finished it. That was great. I wish more of his recent output was at this level.

PtM

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Man, the more time passes, the more I understand how incredible good, sad and deep is the Anju and Kafei quest. I've always wondered who wrote the scenario for that mini-quest.
Koizumi did the town and ranch quests. That particular quest came from attending a staffer's wedding while dreading North-Korean missiles.
How many of the gameplay elements he talked about were improved in the 3DS remake?
There's a lot of gameplay elements in the remake that were made worse.

If you mean his complaints specifically...

The camera in the 3DS remake is generally better.

The part with the giant skeleton was made easier in the remake, but to the point where it's become pathetically easy (also there's ways to make it easier in the N64 version that he didn't try, like shooting arrows to stun him or using the Bunny Hood to move faster).

Like he mentioned, the water sparkles in the Great Bay Temple dungeon to show you exactly where to shoot. But this completely removes what made the Ice Arrows interesting in the first place. In the 3DS remake you can ONLY make ice platforms where the sparkles are, instead of anywhere. It also kinda ruins one memorable room where you need to use the Ice Arrows to create platforms in order to stand in a specific spot so you can hookshot up to the ceiling. In the original version you need to think a little to come up with that solution, but in the remake you just follow the sparkles.
Also, you can save regularly at the owl statues now, without resetting the time loop. Swimming got nerfed, the lower swimming speed might make the water dungeon less disorienting.

Last edited:

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I was pretty sure I remembered time not running inside of dungeons...but it has been a number of years.

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
Why is his footage of MM so damn dark? It definitely doesn't look like that.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Started watching, stopped three quarters of the way through when it truly felt like he was grasping at straws.

Complaining about the saving system and banking mechanic? Really?

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Amazing episode!
I haven't played Majora's Mask, but this AVGN episode made me love and hate this game at the same time! It seems the game has an amazing atmosphere, interesting story and characters and a good core gameplay, but things like that timer aren't made for my taste.

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
Good episode!
There is always a way to get the dungeon song and then play the song of time. So you get a fresh three day cycle for the entire dungeon.
Also, when getting the dungeon item (e.g. the arrow) before times runs out, there are certain shortcuts which you can do to make the dungeon easier the second attempt.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
This is hilarious.

That said I don't remember the game being THAT frustrating. I know it's just the shtick though.

the7samurai

Oct 30, 2017
At this late stage in the game, I'm used to hearing discussion of this game by people who mostly love and revere it (myself included). It's easy to forget how divisive it was when it came out and still is to newcomers. So I can laugh and enjoy this video while still considering the game one of my all time favorites.

The time system to me was just amazing and I very rarely felt overwhelmed by it (especially with the slowing down mechanic and the bunny hood). I do remember racing to finish a dungeon and I'm pretty sure I didn't beat the boss in time. I however hold that memory fondly. I don't really get stressed often so I can imagine one's personality effecting their enjoyment of this game.

I want to replay it now.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great video. Didn't know what to expect, because all I have are rosey memories of when I played the game at launch, so it was interesting to see him hammer home on the negatives. Makes me wonder if I had the same issues when I played the game forever ago.

Deleted member 7883

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is probably the best episode he's done since Earthbound.
James is the friendly face of the alt-right gamer community.
I was under the impression that James is the cool guy that doesn't afraid of anything/is left leaning, but Mike is the shitty one with the racist views? And that James' worst fault was keeping Mike along for as long as he has?

Deleted member 50454

Banned
Dec 5, 2018
I was under the impression that James is the cool guy that doesn't afraid of anything/is left leaning, but Mike is the shitty one with the racist views? And that James' worst fault was keeping Mike along for as long as he has?

Yes, James is cool and completely oblivious to the horrible cunts he works and collaborates with on a regular basis.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I get that he's been friends with Mike for a long time and, sure, friendship can be strong enough to look over someone else's shitty views, but publicly James is completely ignoring the abhorrent shit Mike has written and looking at the clip posted above, James also seems to work closely together with other people who have at the very least a rather questionable sense of humour.

I don't want to declare James guilty by association, but it's a bad look that as a public figure he's not even doing what I would consider the bare minimum (e.g. "I'm still friends with Mike, but I completely disagree with his comics") to distance himself from the people surrounding him.

JTyrmi

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Pretty much what I felt like playing the game back when the game released. It felt like a chore, unfun and all that, but there was still some redeeming qualities and I even 100% the game. Was a solid 6-7/10 back then, now a days I wouldn't touch the game at all though.

Feb 10, 2018
Lol, when my sister and I were young we rented mm and did not have a clue what to do, the moon kept on destroying us.

I was such a dumb gamer back then.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
Great episode and I share most of his love and hate for the original game.
The 3DS version really improved the game, making it an almost flawless masterpiece.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Not a bad watch. I don't agree with his critique though. I never had an issue with the 3 day cycle, gameplay or any of that. It provided an interesting and challenging resource with managing your time, but never felt so scarce or out of my control that I could never get anything done or was being immediately punished.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
MM is my favorite game of all time, I think the greatest Zelda. Never understood the issue with the time, if you slow time you have three hours to do what you want. Who has a game sitting of three hours and what activity is so big that it takes three hours. The majority of stuff in the game is NOT on a timer, you can do all the quests leading to a dungeon whenever and the dungeon whenever, think of resetting time as your save. Yes the bombers notebook relies on time but that is why it's the best side quests in the history of video games.

I don't get the issue with the time mechanic, people get agitated for no reason. It's a compelling system wide gameplay mechanic that makes the game very unique.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yeah, no.
can't get behind his opinion at all.
played majora's mask as a friggin kid (and multiple times after that) and had no problem whatsoever with the time limit, no anxiety, just get to the entrance of the dungeon, save going back to the first day, play the song to slow time and enter the dungeon.
Done. no anxiety , you have plenty of time to finish any of the dungeons that way, and if you can't even realize such a simple method, then sorry, but it's your fault, not the game.

also, what's wrong with tight challenges where you need to polish your skills to complete them? what's the point of some obstacle if you are going to win either if you are playing like shit or getting into the mechanics?
shit like this is what ruined portal 2 and all those other games that get focus tested to shit .

is the game perfect? not at all, some parts could have been better designed (like the part with the bridges and the goron mask, not because it needed precision, but because every time you fail it takes a bit too much time to go back for a new try, but some parts he complained about, like the whirpool room where you are just suppose to go with the current and you will be able to eneter any tunnel with precision, and even if you miss it, that same current is gonna bring you back for a new try in no time.

it's really strange for someone that delved in some of the hardest nes games to be so concerned by a bit of challenge.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Solid episode. Great to see The Nerd play something that isn't shitty but also hasn't aged well in certain area's.

It definitely has some annoying gameplay mechanics, I feel his pain lol

VGEsoterica

Dec 10, 2019
Watched this today. Highly entertaining take on a classic game. Especially when he tapes a bag of shit about his head as a metaphor for impending doom lol

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I played MM back when it came out on N64. I remember disliking it at first, pushing through anyway, and then considering it a very good game by the end.

That being said, I've never felt the need to replay it. I even own the 3DS version, but I've never even booted it up.