• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
Finally watched the video and thought James was spot on. The naming of some of these games alone makes things unnecessarily confusing.

Tough. This is the modern age where shit you say/do stays on the Interwebz forever. You have to deal with that reality. If you've been visibly bigoted in the past, then you have to accept the possibility that at some point that shit can be found/noticed by someone (especially if you're a somewhat public/popular internet person) and someone will give you shit about it. At that point you don't go quiet, you own up to it and condemn your past actions.

I know people aren't perfect. I'm not perfect. But I try my best to acknowledge my shitty behaviour & prejudices and try to do better. If someone dug up some 15 year old bigoted stuff I might have said, I'd own up to it and condemn such bigotry. Like, I wasn't always as understanding of trans people as I and everyone should be (heck, even though I'm fairly open to the whole spectrum of gender identities nowadays, I've still learned new things that I need to be better about even in the last few months). The passage of time doesn't mean we should be quiet about our past shitty actions if someone brings it up.

All it does from Mike is to say "yeah, I was a bit of shitty racist edgelord back then but I've since come to understand how crappy that was of me. Racist shit like that is wrong". Like, take 5-10 seconds to write that on Twitter the next time someone asks about it there and all would be ok in the world. It's not like we are asking him to hold a weekly 5 hour seminar on the evils of racism or anything. A quick (genuine) apology/condemnation of that shit. It's pretty easy, especially if you mean it.
Would it? How many times does Kevin Hart need to apologize before Era finally grants him their forgiveness? For the record, I agree with you that it would be great if Mike finally addressed and apologize for the old comics. With that said, not for a second do I believe that it would make a difference.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this going happen for every AVGN topic?
It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't happening on two different AVGN topics simultaneously. It makes sense to discuss it to some degree, and it's obviously important. But I don't honestly think it's productive to have the same conversation split among two threads.

AMAGON

Prominent Member
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
He's been called out on it several times, he's never shown any remorse or repentance for it.

It's nice, that you don't care, that's your privilege. Others do care, and others, even in this thread, have been thankful for the information.
Please create a thread about Mike if its that important than changing the narrative of what this thread originally is about.

Era is starting to become more annoying than Gaf lately with the thread derails. Even if its for good intentions, it ruins the conversation of the topic at hand.

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
James has a point. Only played like 3 games (no numbered ones), so it's really confusing. The gba game was the first time I saw Cloud on a Nintendo system. Good game.

As Era's [formerly] biggest AVGN fan, I implore you: please read this post before watching this video. Thanks.

What's your purpose? Thread derailing? We're here to discuss a video about KH.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Mike isn't a part of this video.
Who do you think made all of the drawings in this video (I just scrolled through, and there are at least four)? And who do you think is taking half of the ad revenues every time someone clicks on it without Adblock enabled? Who do you think is profiting off of the sponsorship ad at the start of the video for Whatever VPN?

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I always found it a little weird that for such a kid friendly series, they made it as complicated to follow as they did.
I think had they called Birth by Sleep KH0, DDD KH3 and KH3 KH4 it would have been much clearer to people. New Disney worlds = new numbered entry.

But I'm now just imagining the meltdowns people would have had if KH3 had been announced as a 3DS exclusive.

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
Who do you think made all of the drawings in this video (I just scrolled through, and there are at least four)? And who do you think is taking half of the ad revenues every time someone clicks on it without Adblock enabled? Who do you think is profiting off of the sponsorship ad at the start of the video for Whatever VPN?

Solution for people who really take this issue to heart: Torrents and download links. I googled/bing'd. Thankfully they exist because a subsection of people on the internet hate google and youtube. You have to ask yourself what lines you'll cross because I'm sure the torrenters and rippers you are supporting probably do as bad or worse than Mike. You'll probably be going down a moral bridge burning rabbit hole. Enjoy.

Solution for people who still want to watch but only care about James: On a youtube channel where James' content is about 10% of it nowadays, only watching 10% of a channel's content is fine.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Solution for people who really take this issue to heart: Torrents and download links. I googled/bing'd. Thankfully they exist because a subsection of people on the internet hate google and youtube. You have to ask yourself what lines you'll cross because I'm sure the torrenters and rippers you are supporting probably do as bad or worse than Mike. You'll probably be going down a moral bridge burning rabbit hole. Enjoy.

Solution for people who still want to watch but only care about James: On a youtube channel where James' content is about 10% of it nowadays, only watching 10% of a channel's content is fine.
???

Congrats on your false dichotomy. What about, oh, I don't know, just not watching the videos? And watching other channels instead?

And does the torrent magically extract all of Mike's contributions to the videos? Does it cut out the drawings? Does it contain brand new scenes reshot by other cameramen to replace the ones where he's filming? Does it remove all of his contributions to the script and ideas about the editing? Does it take all of his money, help, and assistance out of each and every episode - of which he is significantly involved in the creation of, every last one except for the original 3 (Simon's Quest 1, Jekyll & Hyde 1, Karate Kid)?

He is inseparable from the show. Do what you want, but don't kid yourself.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
As Era's [formerly] biggest AVGN fan, I implore you: please read this post before watching this video. Thanks.

For those complaining about this post: I see this PSA as pretty damn important. I actually had no idea about this and it changes my perspective on their content. I don't know the best way to get this out there, but this was shocking and if it wasn't posted in here I might have never known

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
And does the torrent magically extract all of Mike's contributions to the videos? Does it cut out the drawings? Does it contain brand new scenes reshot by other cameramen to replace the ones where he's filming? Does it remove all of his contributions to the script and ideas about the editing? Does it take all of his money, help, and assistance out of each and every episode - of which he is significantly involved in the creation of, every last one except for the original 3 (Simon's Quest 1, Jekyll & Hyde 1, Karate Kid)?

No, but the other options I listed allow you to watch the show as an AVGN fan without supporting Mike Matei. Isn't that the ultimate solution some people want? You get to have your cake and eat it this way.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
No, but the other options I listed allow you to watch the show as an AVGN fan without supporting Mike Matei. Isn't that the ultimate solution some people want? You get to have your cake and eat it this way.
Not at all. If you "only watch James' videos", you are still watching Mike Matei's videos, because, as I've just made perfectly clear, Mike works on each and every one of them, and also makes half the money from your clicks besides. He is not "separable" from AVGN in any way, just because you can't see his face in the videos (and indeed, there are literally dozens of videos where you can). You are financially supporting a racist, no matter what mental gymnastics you'd like to perform while you go about it.

If you torrent the videos, you are still watching Mike Matei's videos. You are also committing piracy, which is expressly banned under the Era ToS for what I think are some pretty good reasons.

The only way to "get out" of this moral predicament would be if Mike made a heartfelt, formal apology and agreed to renounce these disgusting comics (unlikely, since he has only doubled-down whenever the subject comes up), or if James dumped Mike and started making his videos without him (probably impossible, since Mike owns half the company).

Alternatively, you could just stop bullshitting and dissembling and admit that you have no qualms about financially supporting a racist. Once you've done this, you can watch James & Mike as much as you want without any moral contradiction. You will probably be banned from this site, however.

Or, you could just not watch Cinemassacre videos (what a sacrifice!), and instead watch the literal thousands of other gaming videos that do not enrich bigots with every click. There's three options then, and unlike yours, all of these actually are "solutions". Though I wouldn't hold your breath for the first one, and I wouldn't want to speak to anyone who's picking the second one.

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
I think Mike was trying to create the grossest thing imaginable. He used Tubgirl and other similar gross things in those comics. He's just pretty stupid and was even dumber 15 years ago, I don't think he's a bad person. He should apologize, but I suppose doesn't want to draw attention to it and hopes it would dissappear.

He was very stupid and isn't brave enough to apologize are the two faults about him as a person in this case.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I appreciate you bringing this up ASaiyan. I did not know about this and I have made it a point to click on no more of their content, at the very least until an apology issued. I doubt I am alone in this being a revelation I would prefer to have.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate you bringing this up ASaiyan. I did not know about this and I have made it a point to click on no more of their content, at the very least until an apology issued. I doubt I am alone in this being a revelation I would prefer to have.
Don't thank me, thank Frecklestein . I had no idea before they brought it up in my thread. Prior to that I was probably the biggest fan of AVGN on this site. I put it on whenever I couldn't sleep. And I watched James & Mike every Monday.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Alternatively, you could just stop bullshitting and dissembling and admit that you have no qualms about financially supporting a racist. Once you've done this, you can watch James & Mike as much as you want without any moral contradiction. You will probably be banned from this site, however.

Watching AVGN is a bannable offense. You heard it here first, folks.

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not at all. If you "only watch James' videos", you are still watching Mike Matei's videos, because, as I've just made perfectly clear, Mike works on each and every one of them, and also makes half the money from your clicks besides. He is not "separable" from AVGN in any way, just because you can't see his face in the videos (and indeed, there are literally dozens of videos where you can). You are financially supporting a racist, no matter what mental gymnastics you'd like to perform while you go about it.

If you torrent the videos, you are still watching Mike Matei's videos. You are also committing piracy, which is expressly banned under the Era ToS for what I think are some pretty good reasons.

The only way to "get out" of this moral predicament would be if Mike made a heartfelt, formal apology and agreed to renounce these disgusting comics (unlikely, since he has only doubled-down whenever the subject comes up), or if James dumped Mike and started making his videos without him (probably impossible, since Mike owns half the company).

Or, you could just not watch Cinemassacre videos (what a sacrifice!), and instead watch the literal thousands of other gaming videos that do not enrich bigots with every click. There's three options then, and unlike yours, all of these actually are "solutions". Though I wouldn't hold your breath for the first one, and I wouldn't want to speak to anyone who's picking the second one.

You're projecting too much and the world is more complicated than you make it out to be. Also please educate me on how downloading and distributing a free to watch and free to download video is considered piracy.

Edit:

Watching AVGN is a bannable offense. You heard it here first, folks.

There are times where I'm really glad that some members here are not mods and this is definitely one of those moments.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

I despise Mike just as much as you do, but James is one of the most heartfelt people putting out internet content. My pros of watching James outweigh my cons for contributing anything to that other sleezeball. I just wanted to chime in and say I totally hear you and agree Mike Matei is an abhorrent person. I can't stand his brand of humor either which unfortunately rubs of on James. However, despite all this, I still watch James' vids because he's a good dude.

Oct 25, 2017
Good topic for a video considering how convoluted the Kingdom Hearts series seems, especially for someone who doesn't follow the series. And probably fairly easy to make.

My read on Mike Matei is he finds offensive humor really funny and especially did 10-15+ years ago when those comics were drawn (IIRC he drew most of those back when he was still in college). That was back around the peak of offensive humor in general. The "joke" in the comics is him trying to be ludicrously over the top offensive and trying to draw the most offensive things he can think up.

Mike can be an idiot but I don't think he's an intentionally hateful one. I'm not aware of anything he's said/done in the last several years that would point to him having racist views/hating people of other races. Considering all the livestreams and convention appearances you'd think that would be exposed at this point.

Yeah. That was my take on it. Like "The Aristocrats" joke.
The whole humor comes from just being as offensive as you possibly can, to the point where it loops back around to being impossible to take seriously and becomes funny.
It'd help if he commented on it, but I've never gotten the impression that he's an actual racist.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Good topic for a video considering how convoluted the Kingdom Hearts series seems, especially for someone who doesn't follow the series. And probably fairly easy to make.

My read on Mike Matei is he finds offensive humor really funny and especially did 10-15+ years ago when those comics were drawn (IIRC he drew most of those back when he was still in college). That was back around the peak of offensive humor in general. The "joke" in the comics is him trying to be ludicrously over the top offensive and trying to draw the most offensive things he can think up.

Mike can be an idiot but I don't think he's an intentionally hateful one. I'm not aware of anything he's said/done in the last several years that would point to him having racist views/hating people of other races. Considering all the livestreams and convention appearances you'd think that would be exposed at this point.

As for James, I've followed him since 2006 and he seems to be a good-all-around dude who you could only bash for not following the drama about other Youtubers closely.

Then maybe he should fucking apologize. Fuck, I hate the leaps dumbasses will go to defend racists.

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
Don't thank me, thank Frecklestein . I had no idea before they brought it up in my thread. Prior to that I was probably the biggest fan of AVGN on this site. I put it on whenever I couldn't sleep. And I watched James & Mike every Monday.

Don't thank Frecklestein either, thank 4chan for Doxxing him a few years ago and his other stalkers.

Deleted member 29195

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Finally watched the video and thought James was spot on. The naming of some of these games alone makes things unnecessarily confusing.

Would it? How many times does Kevin Hart need to apologize before Era finally grants him their forgiveness? For the record, I agree with you that it would be great if Mike finally addressed and apologize for the old comics. With that said, not for a second do I believe that it would make a difference.
Kevin Hart has doubled down - not apologized. Same with Louis CK and the like.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Good video that pokes fun at the series but doesn't feel the need to completely shit on it.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I was not expecting him to do a video on this series at all, can't wait to watch this.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

And ?

It was 14 years ago and he's done nothing like that since then.

I think had they called Birth by Sleep KH0, DDD KH3 and KH3 KH4 it would have been much clearer to people. New Disney worlds = new numbered entry.

But I'm now just imagining the meltdowns people would have had if KH3 had been announced as a 3DS exclusive.

That would have definitely have worked better for sure but yeah, the 3DS exclusive thing would have been a bigger melt down than it already was lol

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I remember this series. Good video.
I recently got a PS4 but don't really have any interest in KH3 because of how awful the story was going from Kingdom Hearts 1 to 2 without playing the spinoff game. I don't have any interesting in getting up to speed with the crazy plot that I've missed out on.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Definitely one of the better videos that's been put out lately. Felt like an old AVGN video. Loved it and got a good laugh out of it too.

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
I don't play and follow Kingdom Hearts much; probably only played once before, but I'm aware with most of those weird numbering titles because they are so bad that it's good to know about it..

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like Mike created the illustrations for this video

You were such a big fan but had not known of this controversy? That's hard to belive as that was not the first posting of it on era either it has creeper up in many Avgn threads. Unless you lived with your head in sand you would have accidently stumbled into knowledge of Mike being a self absorbed douchebag who happens to be a racist fuck with an alleged big wang.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
You were such a big fan but had not known of this controversy? That's hard to belive as that was not the first posting of it on era either it has creeper up in many Avgn threads. Unless you lived with your head in sand you would have accidently stumbled into knowledge of Mike being a self absorbed douchebag who happens to be a racist fuck with an alleged big wang.
I don't know what to tell you. I only started watching a year ago but I got hooked pretty quickly. I only watched the YouTube channel, and Mike was always just smiling along and joking next to James like a normal guy. I was fucking floored to learn about this last week (fucking James Rolfe's channel, of all people). If there was a post about it before I made my thread I hadn't seen it. And by the sound of things, many people here still haven't heard about it either, which I why shared it (and presumably why Frecklestein shared it in the first place).

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what to tell you. I only started watching a year ago but I got hooked pretty quickly. I only watched the YouTube channel, and Mike was always just smiling along there next to James like a normal guy. If there was a post about it before I made my thread I hadn't seen it. And by the sound of things, many people still haven't heard about it either, which I why shared it (and presumably why Frecklestein shared it in the first place).

If you only started a year ago that makes more sense. It was incredibly dissapointing for me to find it out, I had already moved away from the channel since I could not stand Mike as a person or personality. How he treated Bootsy was another reason why it made it an easy decision to just not watch.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. That was my take on it. Like "The Aristocrats" joke.
The whole humor comes from just being as offensive as you possibly can, to the point where it loops back around to being impossible to take seriously and becomes funny.
It'd help if he commented on it, but I've never gotten the impression that he's an actual racist.

That seemed obvious to me, pretty shocking people translate that as if those are his own, personal views.

It's depicting gross things in media, it's not exactly new or groundbreaking. It's not particularly interesting (unlike the backstory of the Aristocrats joke), but that's it.

Even then, these are pretty bad, unfunny, not very well drawn, etc.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I played KH 1 and 2 once each, and they were awesome, but that was thirteen years ago. I don't particularly want to play them again, and I certainly don't want to play the remastered handheld/mobile games just for the bits and pieces of story content they contain.

I doubt I'm the only person who has KH 3 preordered, but would also appreciate more than a fan-narrated video on YouTube to get me up to speed. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a story-so-far video to be included with the game.

Maybe Square Enix will put out a free-to-download supercut of all the important scenes from the previous games. Be good advertising for 3, and my gut says it would encourage as many sales of the old games as it cannibalises.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Do you think people who play Dragon Quest should be banned too?

What about the people who bought Kingdom Come?

The people excited about Cyberpunk?

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do we really need this coming up in every James / AVGN Thread ?

Back on topic, as a big fan of the series, it does always make me laugh how over the top the KH names got and how convoluted the story became and spreading it across multiple platforms made it even harder to follow. Luckily the 1.5 + 2.5 set had everything needed in one package to catch up.

Yes some of us don't like supporting alt-right sympathizers.

Until James tells his racist fuckhead of a friend to go fuck himself, then fuck him too.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know what to tell you. I only started watching a year ago but I got hooked pretty quickly. I only watched the YouTube channel, and Mike was always just smiling along and joking next to James like a normal guy. I was fucking floored to learn about this last week (fucking James Rolfe's channel, of all people). If there was a post about it before I made my thread I hadn't seen it. And by the sound of things, many people here still haven't heard about it either, which I why shared it (and presumably why Frecklestein shared it in the first place).

You called yourself Era's biggest AVGN fan despite only starting watching it a year ago?

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think people who play Dragon Quest should be banned too?

What about the people who bought Kingdom Come?

The people excited about Cyberpunk?
Candidly, I am of the opinion that CD Projekt, Vavra, and also Quantic Dream should all be banned from the site.
You called yourself Era's biggest AVGN fan despite only starting watching it a year ago?
I'm willing to bet I watched the episodes more times over in that one year than anyone else has in the past ten. I used to put them on whenever I couldn't sleep, which is almost every night. My OP had at least a dozen references in it, and soon after writing it I was kicking myself for missing four or five more obvious ones. There were barely ever any AVGN threads on Era, but anyone who thinks they were a bigger fan than I was is welcome to challenge my claim, lol.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Candidly, I am of the opinion that CD Projekt, Vavra, and also Quantic Dream should all be banned from the site.

I'm willing to bet I watched the episodes more times over in that one year than anyone else has in the past ten. I used to put them on whenever I couldn't sleep, which is almost every night. My OP had at least a dozen references in it, and soon after writing it I was kicking myself for missing four or five more obvious ones. There were barely ever any AVGN threads on Era, but anyone who thinks they were a bigger fan than I was is welcome to challenge my claim, lol.

I just don't understand how you could claim to be such a big fan but be completely unaware of Mike Matei's antics. Like, I thought it was already common knowledge by at least months ago, if not longer. And I don't know how CD Projekt, Vavra and QD can be "banned" from the site, as I don't even think they have accounts here, and their games (and distribution platforms) are way too big to just be ignored.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't understand how you could claim to be such a big fan but be completely unaware of Mike Matei's antics. Like, I thought it was already common knowledge by at least months ago, if not longer. And I don't know how CD Projekt, Vavra and QD can be "banned" from the site, as I don't even think they have accounts here, and their games (and distribution platforms) are way too big to just be ignored.
As this thread and my own thread have shown, it is clearly not "common knowledge" at all. I did not encounter any indications of Mike's behavior just clicking around the Cinemassacre YouTube channel for the past year. Plenty of people, like me, had been supporting a bigot without knowing it. Which is why Frecklestein thought it was important to let us know, and why I in turn thought it was important to share their posts.

As for this site, we were founded as a direct expression of a certain set of values, and maintain a banlist even more extensive than Twitch in maintainence of those views. I agree that banning all talk of Cyberpunk would result in a massive uproar, even after CD Projekt's repeated transphobic remarks. But I genuinely believe that Kingdom Come and especially The Last Night should be banned entirely. Maybe one of these days I'll change Cerium 's mind.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Let's start by banning this homophobic filth, portraying gay men as sexual predators of minors. Don't you agree.
xhgUjSs.png

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Let's start by banning this homophobic filth, portraying gay men as sexual predators of minors. Don't you agree.
xhgUjSs.png
This. So many Eastern games are incredibly problematic with much of their gendered content, but conversations about them seem to immediately get buried under excuses like "cultural differences." Absolute hypocrisy.

I for one, won't support AVGN anymore for Mike's disgusting comics, but lumping so many other devs in with such filth is deliberately disingenuous when many of the same posters support devs like Atlas and and Square Enix, the latter of which has no qualms with war crime deniers apparently.