• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017

10. Detroit Become Human
9. Assassin's Creed Odyssey
8. Warhammer 40k Gladius
7. Valkyrie Chronicles 4
6. Dragonball Fighter Z
5. Hitman 2
4. Monster Hunter World
3. Spider-Man
2. God of War
1. Red Dead Redemption 2

Last edited:

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
I honestly don't see why Red Dead is so highly regarded when it's gameplay feels so bad. Good visuals and storytelling but I value the other stuff more.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've literally not heard of Warhammer 40k Gladius before. I should look into that. Always cool to see an unrecognized name on a list. I approve of all of his choices I am familiar with though! Those were some good games!
I honestly don't see why Red Dead is so highly regarded when it's gameplay feels so bad. Good visuals and storytelling but I value the other stuff more.
A lot of people feel that Arthur Morgan was literally the best realized character in a video game ever, and that Red Dead 2's story was literally the best writing in a game ever, and as you pointed out, different people have different priorities.

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017
IgMyx.gif

Thought this for the worst.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Gameplay isn't bad. Arthur's movement might be a little slow, but calling the gameplay bad is just hyperbole.

To some people it plays badly, and it's understandable why. It's quite polarizing.

I thought it played badly much of the time, personally, even if I loved how much it let you experience being a cowboy.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tis the state of modern gaming.

Often times, I have hot takes because I don't much care for big blockbusters. I value old school design, but this is not what's valued at large.

It's about visuals, presentation, simplicity, and story. Simple, easy to play games that make the player feel good and engage them in a similar way as a blockbuster movie.

Something that asks a lot of the player typically doesn't do as well critically or commercially, though some people still think they're great. Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, probably being the biggest examples. Look at the new God of War compared to the old. Sold gangbusters by being a by the numbers modern game ditching old school design. Critically, it's also considered the best in the series. Personally, I think it's easily the worst, but hey, opinions.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, lot of variety on that list. Joe loves strategy games, but I didn't think he'd go for a game like VC4. Neat.

Deleted member 3925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The controls are its biggest flaw, but people can overlook it since everything else about the game is so amazing. The writing, characters, attention to detail, etc.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yep. Always crazy to me when any game gets a pass for awful gameplay. I also think its completely messed up so many outlets keep throwing praise on rockstar for merely having a huge budget and taking advantage of their employees since thats essentially the reason why their open world games are always impressive.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
The controls are its biggest flaw, but people can overlook it since everything else about the game is so amazing. The writing, characters, attention to detail, etc.

To me it's like a car trip , you wanna experience the countryside but instead while you're trying to take it in the roads are full of potholes and bumps. After awhile it gets annoying.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
I've literally not heard of Warhammer 40k Gladius before. I should look into that. Always cool to see an unrecognized name on a list. I approve of all of his choices I am familiar with though! Those were some good games!

A lot of people feel that Arthur Morgan was literally the best realized character in a video game ever, and that Red Dead 2's story was literally the best writing in a game ever, and as you pointed out, different people have different priorities.
I still feel like James Sunderland as a character and Silent Hill 2 as a story remain the goat but Arthur is up there, RDR2 had some iffy dialogue and the story beats were just okay, but I can respect the amount of work that went into it.

Deleted member 12555

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So... Detroit is actually good? No more silly writing? I payed no attention to it after being disappointed by Heavy Rain and Beyond, but it pops up in nearly every GOTY talks I've seen.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
So... Detroit is actually good? No more silly writing? I payed no attention to it after being disappointed by Heavy Rain and Beyond, but it pops up in nearly every GOTY talks I've seen.
It's pretty great. If you really detested the writing in HR and Beyond you will see clear improvements everywhere, if it will actually transcend into good territorry for you is hard to say. The game itself is pretty modest and just aims to entertain, which it does plenty. It is not Oscar level writing, but it does what it sets out to do just fine. Pretty great game above that in terms of branching and decision making and every technical aspect

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

I thought Detroit was better than Beyond but not as good as Heavy Rain. I'm gonna say that if you didn't enjoy those then you're probably not gonna like Detroit either.

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Oct 26, 2017
FYI, he's had to pull down the video due to a rendering error in the video (there's around two minutes of footage of just a black screen towards the end).

OP
OP
Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Joe has removed the video. My guess is to edit something. I'll repost the video when it gets back up.