• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
It isn't really explained in the video, but I think it's meant in juvenile a sense of "Neil Druckmann fucked this game over". Like, if you receive the penis you're a loser in the exchange sort of deal.

I think there was a rumour during the leaks (coming from people who hated the leaks) that Neil had done the mocap for all the male characters in the game.
That's why they put his face in this picture.

I think there were also some people who harassed Laura Bailey about it on twitter saying that
the sex scene between Abby and Owen was mocaped in real time, so Laura and Neil has sex or some BS like that
I know, it's as ridiculous as it sounds -.-

Here's Laura's statement on twitter

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Allow me simplify it for you, there are ppl who are negative from the beginning and refuse to open up and engage and they try to amplify anything they don't like and not appreciate any of the strong points.

the angry joe guy actually praises almost everything except the execution of story, characters and the writing.

anyway, There are also ppl who seem to worship ND and already it's a 10/10 before they touch the controller. Any weak points they already have a defence for it.

Truth is the review should not even matter in the context of the thread .
More than once he shows signs of misogyny while streaming the game.
Hell if we want talk about his review a lot of times he was not even playing the game and missing the story aspect since we saw that while he was streaming .
I would say judging execution of story, characters and the writing when missing parts of it shows he did not care to begin with .

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Why does everyone on this thread hate Angry Joe so much?
tenor.gif

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The 'buff' women argument has become such a weird thing on twitter. Like people unable to believe buff women exist now and can exist in a post-apocalyptic world.

It seems that it's true, the only way some man are able to deal with women on their games if if they fit in their idea of attractive woman.
The most bizarre part was how they just seemed to never engage with blunt evidence showing otherwise. It would be like "Um, here is a power lifting woman, indeed the one the character is based on" and they'd just be like "no" lol

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
The most bizarre part was how they just seemed to never engage with blunt evidence showing otherwise. It would be like "Um, here is a power lifting woman, indeed the one the character is based on" and they'd just be like "no" lol
Their insecurity rockets into the stratosphere when they see women like this so they just go into full denial.

Sad, weak little men.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Maybe even just read the OP, and see what he's done before?
Don't forget during the controversy when he said a transphobic slur during the leaks.

Then Cyberpunk 2077 tweet about gender options, concern trolling.

This guy goes on these anti-"SJW" rants all the time ever since Battlefield 5. Same with The Last Jedi. This dude is just hateful.

How he reacted to school shootings with pro-gun propaganda.
www.resetera.com

Angry Joe defends AR-15s against those who want to "take guns from everyone"

Given that he is a large gaming personality whose content often gets his own threads, I think it's important to have a thread for this, as we do for other gaming personalities when they do or say something harmful even if not directly related to gaming. This is disingenuous propaganda that is...

And then the sexual harassment, now.
www.resetera.com

Angry Joe accused of sexual harassment/predatory behaviour [Updates from both posted]

https://medium.com/@WookieMonsterTV/my-interaction-with-angryjoe-d715aedb0e02 Much, much more at the link including screencaps of text conversations. Update: Joe Responds https://www.resetera.com/threads/angryjoe-responds-to-sexual-assault-allegations.234028/#post-37878064

Or you're just trolling.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Ew he almost went mask off there for a minute. Please cancel him out of any shred of relevance.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Can we like move on from this guy already? He's an idiot, he's always been an idiot and he always will be an idiot.

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
I can only speak for myself... I don't hate him at all. I just don't like what he has to say most of the time, and I don't believe that this forum should be giving him a platform. The nail in the coffin for Joe Vargas for me was how he handled his indecency allegations. I wasn't there or know if he even did anything wrong. But I didn't like what he had to say.

I think because of this many of us here don't like seeing forum threads here about him and his YouTube videos. I forgot the guy even existed until his name started coming up because of the scandal.

Jun 13, 2020
Btw, the "nobody wants that" criticism needs to disappear. It doesn't mean anything. Just let creatives decide what they think is the best way to continue their story, and then decide if you like it or not.

Oct 25, 2017
So genuine question here.

I don't really understand why people call for "bans" of content on ERA. I think Joe's takes about the game are shitty, and how he handled the allegations against him reveal him to be a giant piece of shit (Talking down to his accuser, sending his fans to harass her, lawyering up to pressure her, etc), but I don't really get the point of banning content on ERA. Is it just to stop unproductive discussion since a lot of it just ends up being ERA going "yeah, Joe's a piece of shit" (which yeah, he's a piece of shit) so there is no value in discussing his content? Or do people believe deplatforming him from ERA hurts him? Because if it's the former where there is no worthwhile discussion I understand, but if it's the later it feels like an empty gesture because ERA is a mere raindrop in the puddle of "people into video game culture". Banning his content on this platform would literally not even affect him if he is capable of gathering 1.2 million views in a day.

So if someone can explain what the intent of removing Joe's content is (removing bad faith/unproductive discussion from the forum, hurting Joe by not giving him a platform, etc) I'd appreciate it because I am genuinely confused about what the goal is of doing so.

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018

I don't really understand why people call for "bans" of content on ERA. I think Joe's takes about the game are shitty, and how he handled the allegations against him reveal him to be a giant piece of shit (Talking down to his accuser, sending his fans to harass her, lawyering up to pressure her, etc), but I don't really get the point of banning content on ERA. Is it just to stop unproductive discussion since a lot of it just ends up being ERA going "yeah, Joe's a piece of shit" (which yeah, he's a piece of shit) so there is no value in discussing his content? Or do people believe deplatforming him from ERA hurts him? Because if it's the former where there is no worthwhile discussion I understand, but if it's the later it feels like an empty gesture because ERA is a mere raindrop in the puddle of "people into video game culture". Banning his content on this platform would literally not even affect him if he is capable of gathering 1.2 million views in a day.

So if someone can explain what the intent of removing Joe's content is (removing bad faith/unproductive discussion from the forum, hurting Joe by not giving him a platform, etc) I'd appreciate it because I am genuinely confused about what the goal is of doing so.

A lively thread on ERA can have views in tens of thousands. Even though that's probably like a thousand unique users, and only a fraction of that will click through on linked videos, it's still some views for the content creator in question.
So yes, I would say that banning a content creator from Era is depriving him of those clicks.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I think there was a rumour during the leaks (coming from people who hated the leaks) that Neil had done the mocap for all the male characters in the game.

I think there were also some people who harassed Laura Bailey about it on twitter saying that
the sex scene between Abby and Owen was mocaped in real time, so Laura and Neil has sex or some BS like that

Anyone following this "controversy" when it hit can tell that a huge amount of this backlash is just pure malice.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK

Era may be only a small part of the industry and conversation around it but as a platform that wants to be inclusive and welcoming for everyone it only makes sense to refuse to promote people who promote harmful views.

Now of course there are exceptions to this rule, such as politicians etc where discussions are needed but if you are just sharing the latest review or video from someone who is a known piece of shit who has been proven to be racist/sexist/transphobic etc then it shouldn't be something we do.

Not only does it help minimise that persons exposure (even if only a small part) but it also is one of gamings biggest forums taking a stand to say "we don't accept this person's views and as a result we don't welcome their content here".

Again, there may be some exceptions needed when a story is big enough that to not cover it would be negligent in helping to embody that inclusive stance but just sharing that person's content as a positive thing is totally different.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
It isn't really explained in the video, but I think it's meant in juvenile a sense of "Neil Druckmann fucked this game over". Like, if you receive the penis you're a loser in the exchange sort of deal.
With the amount of hate and death threats Neil is getting, that's a really shitty thing to add on Joe's part. Especially with how toxic his fanbase can be.

Oct 25, 2017
A lively thread on ERA can have views in tens of thousands. Even though that's probably like a thousand unique users, and only a fraction of that will click through on linked videos, it's still some views for the content creator in question.
So yes, I would say that banning a content creator from Era is depriving him of those clicks.
Era may be only a small part of the industry and conversation around it but as a platform that wants to be inclusive and welcoming for everyone it only makes sense to refuse to promote people who promote harmful views.

Now of course there are exceptions to this rule, such as politicians etc where discussions are needed but if you are just sharing the latest review or video from someone who is a known piece of shit who has been proven to be racist/sexist/transphobic etc then it shouldn't be something we do.

Not only does it help minimise that persons exposure (even if only a small part) but it also is one of gamings biggest forums taking a stand to say "we don't accept this person's views and as a result we don't welcome their content here".

Again, there may be some exceptions needed when a story is big enough that to not cover it would be negligent in helping to embody that inclusive stance but just sharing that person's content as a positive thing is totally different.

So am I just greatly underestimating the size of ERA? I know this is a forum people in the industry use (I am responding to one right now), but I never actually saw this as "a big website" and assumed the thread views are inflated because it counts every view instead of unique views.

I do understand if people want to ban a content creator because they feel nothing of value is gained from discussing their content, but I never felt that "deplatforming them" is a significant gesture because this place is just one of many places to discuss video games on the internet.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In all honesty, I never understood why anybody gave this piece of shit the time of day in the first place. He never seemed like anything more than yet another ten-a-penny tryhard gamebro Youtuber to me.

For the longest time I actually thought he had some connection to that alt-right shithole site "One angry gamer" as well... guess now we know that probably would be exactly his kind of place after all.

Anyone following this "controversy" when it hit can tell that a huge amount of this backlash is just pure malice.

The VAST majority of it is exactly that... and nothing more.

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
I like his reviews. In fact, I look forward to them after a big release.

The pre-skits with Other Joe and company. His real-time reactions. How pissed he gets when he dislikes something like microtransactions, EA reskins, short 4 hour campaigns on $60 games, etc...Hilarious.

*shrug*

Everyone loved him in the other forum when he was making "You fucking idiots!" videos about Microsoft and EA no matter how inappropriate he got. This HAD to be the game that drew the line huh?

Even though I enjoyed many portions of the game, I too left extremely disappointed and agree with many of Joe's points. So many plot holes, so many undeveloped characters, unnecessary shock moments. Are people really going to dismiss his entire 48 minutes of, in my opinion, entertaining content because of a couple dumb comments about Abby?

I've looked at the review. It's full of disingenuous half-truths at best. He makes claims that Abby gets the better guns. He complains about the writing being emotionally manipulative, when in his own review, he has footage of him and his friend crying during the opening of the first game. It has transphobic, misogynist dog whistles all over the place. At one point he refers to the franchise as "the last of THEM."

He clearly saw the leaks and was judging the game from the start...he literally wastes his friends time by jumping of the cliff in the opening scenes with Abby in the snow.

At one point when he kills a female WLF soldier in the game, his friend who is playing the game with him says "that's some equal opportunity violence."

Other minor things, he rants about not being able to pick up enemy guns, when that was already in the first game, which he gave a 10/10.

defenders are blind and deaf..

MelliiDragon

Oct 27, 2017
So am I just greatly underestimating the size of ERA? I know this is a forum people in the industry use (I am responding to one right now), but I never actually saw this as "a big website" and assumed the thread views are inflated because it counts every view instead of unique views.

I do understand if people want to ban a content creator because they feel nothing of value is gained from discussing their content, but I never felt that "deplatforming them" is a significant gesture because this place is just one of many places to discuss video games on the internet.

I can only speak for myself but if its about stuff like misogyny, transphobia and so on, one Important aspect is sharing it hurts people. in one part it influences the opinion of the People here, sends a signal to the people here something like that is ok, which means it would be alright for people to write stuff like that here. Another Part ist the People he hurts with it directly will see it as well.

For example here is a thread at the moment that the community here should do better:
www.resetera.com

Speaking of trans issues let's talk about racism and the general disregard of brands when we call them out for it.

Hiya gaming era it is I the spookiest motherfucker you ever met who also made a thread just two days ago about trans issues in eras community. (I'm not exactly great at making threads ) this thread Hey it's minority mental health awareness month Hey era I figured it would be apt if I placed a...

And banning content like his videos can definitly help with it I think.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Maybe I'm making a straw man or playing advocate here, but as someone who enjoys receiving, this means Joe is either:

1. Implying that Neil "took advantage of" his position to ruin the game and is alluding to non-consensual sex, framing it as some kind of joke and demonstrating that at the VERY LEAST despite the allegations against him his views on rape jokes comes into question.
  2. Relying on archaic views of homosexuality and sodomy to make his point, which demonstrates that he's homophobic, or
  3. Implying that anyone receiving dick is in the "worst position", showing him to be either a homophobe or a misogynist.

That one screenshot tells me everything I need to know about the guy in any case, and despite previously being a fan I've always thought that his "holier-than-thou" attitude just stunk, and now it seems to be an indicator of even worse character.

Deleted member 35509

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Don't want to watch it because I just started the game. Can someone tell me what he said or what he implied?

Oct 27, 2017
Has he still not been banned? Why not? I'm not defending skillup, or saying he didn't deserve it, but he certainly got banned for less than Joe has said and been accused of in the past few weeks. Seems strange that there's no movement on this from the mods

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK

Era is essentially where most online gaming influencer and press go to for news, unless of course its a story from a specific publication or person but ultimately everyone from kinda funny to easy allies all come here for news and general sentiment of people so it does have a lot of sway in that way.

Oct 25, 2017
I can only speak myself but if it about stuff like misogyny, transphobia and so on, one Important aspect is sharing it hurts people. in one part it influences the opinion of the People here, sends a signal to the people here something like that is ok here which means it would alright for people to right stuff like that here. Another Part ist the People he hurts with it will see it as well.

For example here is a thread at the moment that the community here should do better:
www.resetera.com

Speaking of trans issues let's talk about racism and the general disregard of brands when we call them out for it.

Hiya gaming era it is I the spookiest motherfucker you ever met who also made a thread just two days ago about trans issues in eras community. (I'm not exactly great at making threads ) this thread Hey it's minority mental health awareness month Hey era I figured it would be apt if I placed a...

And banning content like his videos can definitly help with it I think.

I can empathize with that.

The discussion surrounding Abby pre-release when people were calling her trans because of her build was genuinely fucking gross. Joe's remarks about women (Abby in particular) are gross, and I empathize with those who feel affected by his comments and don't want his content promoted.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas

Why would it be a problem if Neil mocapped some characters anyway. Devs on a project always do some local here and there and even VA work on their games. Face scans also.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The guy is a bandwagon hater, and I am surprised it took Era this long to turn on him. He's a piece of shit who picks on games for views. He's made a career out of trashing games not unlike Dunkey, Jimquisition and several other angry youtubers out there. They exploit the outrage and era is equally responsible for spreading it. I remember people gleefully posting these 'takedown' videos of Dunkey, Angry Joe and co. trashing games like Metal Gear Survive, Andromeda and Anthem. The reviews were factually incorrect, borderline dishonest and entirely dismissive of all the good things in these games.

It was shocking to go into the official threads of these games and find mostly positive impressions. More so than so called universally acclaimed games like Witcher 3, Uncharted 3, Zelda BOTW and Red Dead Redemption 2. These guys poisoned the well. got 4 million people each to boycott these flawed but still good games, and robbed us of sequels that couldve been much better.

This cycle of outrage needs to stop. And it needs to start at forums like Era that give these assholes a platform. They are toxic, they feed into the toxicity and they exploit the anger. There should be zero tolerance for these piece of shit. Start with Angry Joe then continue with Dunkey, Jimquisition and go on from there.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Why would it be a problem if Neil mocapped some characters anyway. Devs on a project always do some local here and there and even VA work on their games. Face scans also.
The implication is that Druckmann mocapped
Owen's sex scene with Abby
As a sort of wish fulfillment.

It was a vile rumor with no basis.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
He really showed his ass lately. I like a lot of his old reviews and I think his scoring system should be the standard, but personally he looks like a piece of shit so he should be cancelled

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
Don't think every Angry Joe vid needs a thread and prob wouldn't care if he got banned but really dislike that kind of thing. I mean naughty dog themselves have been accused of many heinous things (crunch culture, attacking journalists as mentioned in the Jim Sterling vids) but it ok to praise the results of that effort?

This thread is not about crunch or praise for a game. This subjects had threads before and it was discussed there.

Read the OP next time or at least try to discuss the subject that everyone here is debating.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I still can't believe Laura Bailey had to clarify she didn't have mo-cap scenes with Neil Druckmann. So fucking beyond stupid especially since the characters weren't even correct (they think Manny is Neil's self insert but the scene is with Owen)

Oct 25, 2017

There was also this rumor people spread that the character of Manny was played by Neil and was "his self insert" because he shared similar hair (manbun and beard) but his ethnicity was completely different. People took the scene of Manny spitting on Joel as "Neil Druckmann spiting on cis white men" and kept lying that this character was played by Neil Druckmann.

And I am genuinely annoyed I believed the character of Manny was played by Neil and was thinking "this is kinda racist because if it was Neil he is putting on a hispanic accent" and it turns out it was never Neil and I believed that bullshit because a streamer/content creator I used to respect was regurgitating every rumor out of /v/ regarding Neil because his hate boner for him was so strong because of "crunch" and always does this thing where if he thinks someone is an asshole, he had carte blanche to act like the biggest, pettiest asshole because it's justified.

Oct 25, 2017
It tooks years but finally people are seeing angry joe as the basic junk he has always been
he has no insight he's just a loud dude who failed upward

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There was also this rumor people spread that the character of Manny was played by Neil and was "his self insert" because he shared similar hair (manbun and beard) but his ethnicity was completely different. People took the scene of Manny spitting on Joel as "Neil Druckmann spiting on cis white men" and kept lying that this character was played by Neil Druckmann.

And I am genuinely annoyed I believed the character of Manny was played by Neil and was thinking "this is kinda racist because if it was Neil he is putting on a hispanic accent" and it turns out it was never Neil and I believed that bullshit because a streamer/content creator I used to respect was regurgitating every rumor out of /v/ regarding Neil because his hate boner for him was so strong because of "crunch" and always does this thing where if he thinks someone is an asshole, he had carte blanche to act like the biggest, pettiest asshole because it's justified.
We do need to have that discussion of crunch in the industry because it's immoral and destructive on the productivity of workers just to get a product out to sell, but I think there are people who are legit using "crunch" as another excuse to shit on this game. They bring up what workers went through during the production of TLOU2 but I really doubt they care. They are the same people who cannot wait for Cyberpunk 2077 but are unusually quiet when someone brings up CDPR's own crunch.

Again, I would love to have the industry unionize to protect the workers above all else, but some of these trolls don't really care one way or another.

Skeeter49

Oct 25, 2017
We do need to have that discussion of crunch in the industry because it's immoral and destructive on the productivity of workers just to get a product out to sell, but I think there are people who are legit using "crunch" as another excuse to shit on this game. They bring up what workers went through during the production of TLOU2 but I really doubt they care. They are the same people who cannot wait for Cyberpunk 2077 but are unusually quiet when someone brings up CDPR's own crunch.

Again, I would love to have the industry unionize to protect the workers above all else, but some of these trolls don't really care one way or another.
I agree crunch is an issue, but yeah, you can tell who really cares and who doesn't. There are ND employees who received death threats and hate when Jason talked about ND's crunch, and it got worse when the leaks came out. Like, is that how people show they care? Giving death threats to the victims of crunch?

For ND, Neil has publicly said they're working to fix it, after the leaks came out, while that could just be fluff, I'd like to think they're actively going ot work on it.

Oct 25, 2017

With him caring on crunch, it's a mixed bag. He'd bring up and make fun of the crunch seen in R* and even CDPR calling CDPR's crunch even worse because they would basically do this thing called Death March where they'd be crunching for no reason, but he never went out of his way to attack individuals in charge of those companies or impacts his desire to play those games. I honestly believe most of his "hatred" comes from the fact he thinks Neil and TLOU2 are "pretentious"

Skeeter49

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, what the hell. That's some top tier dumbassery. How do you even come to that conclusion, jfc.
When you devote hours in your day daily to shitting on a game because it has a "political message/ agenda" you don't like, it's interesting the type of shit people will come up with to shit on a game and personally attack devs for.

So much dumb shit, and the sad thing is people will see that type of shit pick on up on Twitter, Youtube, etc and believe it.

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The guy is a bandwagon hater, and I am surprised it took Era this long to turn on him. He's a piece of shit who picks on games for views. He's made a career out of trashing games not unlike Dunkey, Jimquisition and several other angry youtubers out there. They exploit the outrage and era is equally responsible for spreading it. I remember people gleefully posting these 'takedown' videos of Dunkey, Angry Joe and co. trashing games like Metal Gear Survive, Andromeda and Anthem. The reviews were factually incorrect, borderline dishonest and entirely dismissive of all the good things in these games.

It was shocking to go into the official threads of these games and find mostly positive impressions. More so than so called universally acclaimed games like Witcher 3, Uncharted 3, Zelda BOTW and Red Dead Redemption 2. These guys poisoned the well. got 4 million people each to boycott these flawed but still good games, and robbed us of sequels that couldve been much better.

This cycle of outrage needs to stop. And it needs to start at forums like Era that give these assholes a platform. They are toxic, they feed into the toxicity and they exploit the anger. There should be zero tolerance for these piece of shit. Start with Angry Joe then continue with Dunkey, Jimquisition and go on from there.
I'm pretty sure Jim Sterling and from what I have seen of Dunkey dont practice misogyny and homophobia. I'm not mad that they are angry about the game, it's why is what is the problem for Joe. I like Jim Sterling's review of this game even though I completely disagree with it

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure Jim Sterling and from what I have seen of Dunkey dont practice misogyny and homophobia. I'm not mad that they are angry about the game, it's why is what is the problem for Joe. I like Jim Sterling's review of this game even though I completely disagree with it

I think Dunkey used the F word before. But I agree, they are in a different category than this predator/manchild/use leather jackets indoor/bigot

Status
Not open for further replies.