• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
This has been said to death but Angry Joe should be banned here.

It's frankly baffling that mods are silent about this.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
What on earth are you going on about? Hahaha.
A shit story is a shit story which is exactly what TLoU2 was imo and like Joe, I also feel it was very poorly executed considering the first game. That is just my opinion (yes, my opinion if I'm still allowed one).

Dunno why you're referring to me as misogynistic for having an opinion on a story. Guess it's just cool to be offended by everything these days :shrugs:

Because this thread is about his misogynistic remarks. Which you still haven't said a thing about.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Like I said in the other thread, this is absolutely disgusting, and I've seen permanent bans for less.

And also, again like people said in the other thread, I'm super glad TLOU 2 is fully exposing all the dumbasses around.

idioteque

Nov 8, 2017
tenor.gif

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Dunno why you're referring to me as misogynistic for having an opinion on a story.
Literally one of Joe's critiques of the story is that a woman is too buff and that that needs MORE of an explanation in the game that he barely paid attention to and left the room multiple times while playing while referring to shit that was explained in his absence as plot holes. While then saying that some characters don't die because the game wants to kill all men and the thesis for his review is that the game wanted to shit on Joel.

How anyone could think that he had any good points given his behavior on stream is beyond me. If a dude who was half paying attention to a game is the person you're going to for validation about a story you think is bad then 🤦‍♂️

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
A shit story is a shit story which is exactly what TLoU2 was imo and like Joe, I also feel it was very poorly executed considering the first game. That is just my opinion (yes, my opinion if I'm still allowed one).

Dunno why you're referring to me as misogynistic for having an opinion on a story. Guess it's just cool to be offended by everything these days :shrugs:

The issue with your criticism is you don't go into WHY it's a shit story. You simply state it's a shit story as if it's some objective truth. In order for it to be actual criticism you need to break it down. There are plenty of reasons not to like the story but when you don't elaborate and then end a post with "it's cool to be offended by everything these days" you're just one of those anti-SJW chuds so why would anyone actually bother engaging with you in good faith?

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
The best thing about Angry Joe and a few other Youtube celebs is that it shows anyone can make it.

You don't need talent or a unique angle, just get up on your soap box, give your opinion and you'll likely get fans.
t
When he first started doing reviews, there was something alluring to his more deep dive reviews, but now most reviewers go more in depth with talks after their initial reviews, and a lot of reviews are longer nowadays, what made him big isn't as appealing anymore.

Personally, I lost interest during his QB streams, when he would walk away from the game during TV show portions. Was one of the first streams I watched, but when he said the tv show stuff was boring and pointless in the QB review, I was just like, "not shit, you barely watched it."

Like, even if you don't like something, you should still be trying to get engaged, or at least be in the room when it's playing.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Nobody should be surprised by gamers nitpicking everything about the realism of Abby's body but not any other character.

The same people that say diversity of characters in games is only okay if it is completely justified by the story, otherwise it is pandering.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Nobody should be surprised by gamers nitpicking everything about the realism of Abby's body but not any other character.

The same people that say diversity of characters in games is only okay if it is completely justified by the story.
And here we have a game where it was justified by the story but a dude who wasn't paying attention and tbch generally is terrible when it comes to plot and story analysis with his critique often being surface level and poorly thought out, especially when it comes to media that makes him feel in anyway emasculated, (TLJ), missed the obvious parts that showed us why Abby looks the way she does.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
its sad to see how people are triggered af when it comes to tlou2

just stop it. stop defending the project.
stop desperate insults towards everyone who objectively criticizes this game.

You can't change the climate around the project. you can't possibly affect overall atmosphere. why bother?
No one is triggered except pathetic misogynistic manchildren who can't handle the revolutionary idea of muscular women in vidya games after decades of objectifying, sexualizing, infantalizing & otherwise demeaning depictions of women.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
I liked Angry Joe reviews not going to lie. I dont keep up with the drama and I havent been a fan for super long but the reaction by gamers to TLoU2 is embarrassing.

I stayed away from most of the talk before the game came out and avoided spoilers and went in blind.

After beating the game I knew there was controversy but now realizing it's all based on the identities and physical attributes makes me so sad as thos game is amazing and I am sure will cause a huge impact to the gaming community like the first one did

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
its sad to see how people are triggered af when it comes to tlou2

just stop it. stop defending the project.
stop desperate insults towards everyone who objectively criticizes this game.

You can't change the climate around the project. you can't possibly affect overall atmosphere. why bother?
You are banned but I would love to hear what is "bad" about the game.

Most of the complaints have been addressed over and over and yet it always boils down to "I believe it sucks cause it doesn't make sense to me" even when the game adresses it.

Also using "triggered" for something like this is tasteless and insulting to victims of traumas.

Jamiaro

Jan 8, 2018
Finland
Yeah, I'm done with Joe. Ban him from this site. The amount of hate this game gets is baffling, how can people be so butthurt about this.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
Also there's no way Abby ate one burrito per day. That what was on the menu for lunch. She seems to have access to more food, enough to cook and have a lot of dirty dishes in her room. Issac had fruit laying around.

Abby is a unit and of course she had special access to anything that she wanted from Issac.
And here we have a game where it was justified by the story but a dude who wasn't paying attention and generally is terrible when it comes to plot and story analysis, especially when it comes to media that makes him feel in anyway emasculated, missed the obvious parts that showed us why Abby looks the way she does.

AngryJoe quality has come down lately in a dramatic way.

I watched a few times his stream playing the game and the dude just didn't care about the story because he saw the leaks.

He was leaving the room every 10 minutes.. tossing the controller.. going away and even talking over the most important parts of the plot.

I believe he even missed the part when Ellie said that she wants to try to forgive Joel. You can't miss that man is the best part of the game.

Billdrew

Apr 8, 2019
User banned (1 Month) - Dismissing concerns
I have to say I don't understand the culture here where if a content creator is viewed as racist, sexist, bigot or whatever, that everyone calls for them to be banned, and then they most likely are.
Don't you think these people need to be talked about MORE than those with whom we share opinions? Is it not more important to see that these sorts of people exist and discuss how and why they got here, he'll even call them out on their behaviour, rather than just sweeping them under the rug and pretending they don't exist? That doesn't help anything.
I think it's important to have discourse about and with people who have these sorts of views rather than just dismissing them

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017

If you don't see anything to disagree with, then you agree with Joe's disgusting misogyny.

Skeeter49

Oct 25, 2017
He made his mind up about this game before even playing it
From what I saw, he would
||kill Abby over and over repeatedly when you first play as her, jumping off of stuff and laughing at it. Which wouldn't be an issue, until you realize his issue with the leaks, and why he's doing it, because of hte scene that's comes up not long after.

And it felt like he would dismiss stuff as bad writing as soon as a scene would start, not even giving it time to end to make that judgement.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I have to say I don't understand the culture here where if a content creator is viewed as racist, sexist, bigot or whatever, that everyone calls for them to be banned, and then they most likely are.
Don't you think these people need to be talked about MORE than those with whom we share opinions? Is it not more important to see that these sorts of people exist and discuss how and why they got here, he'll even call them out on their behaviour, rather than just sweeping them under the rug and pretending they don't exist? That doesn't help anything.
I think it's important to have discourse about and with people who have these sorts of views rather than just dismissing them
We can discuss their bigotry & shitty views when they pop up without signal boosting their content outside of that kind of discussion.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
And to think I used to like Joe. He's really fallen off.

Also, this obsession over how Abby looks or her build continues to be completely mind boggling. It's hilarious (aka sad) how narrow a box women are supposed to fit into when it comes to their demeanor and appearance.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
||kill Abby over and over repeatedly when you first play as her, jumping off of stuff and laughing at it. Which wouldn't be an issue, until you realize his issue with the leaks, and why he's doing it, because of hte scene that's comes up not long after.

And it felt like he would dismiss stuff as bad writing as soon as a scene would start, not even giving it time to end to make that judgement.
Am I confusing it with something else, or didn't he also
think that character was trans before the leak, adding a transphobic aspect to that as well?

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
I liked Angry Joe reviews not going to lie. I dont keep up with the drama and I havent been a fan for super long but the reaction by gamers to TLoU2 is embarrassing.

I stayed away from most of the talk before the game came out and avoided spoilers and went in blind.

After beating the game I knew there was controversy but now realizing it's all based on the identities and physical attributes makes me so sad as thos game is amazing and I am sure will cause a huge impact to the gaming community like the first one did

It's fine, I watched his reviews for years too, so I get the appeal. I just tuned out when I started to see him change. His reactions to TLOU are just the culmination of that.

As long as you understand why it's problematic, it's all good. And it seems that's the case

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

www.vice.com

Social Media Bans Actually Work

Alex Jones says getting banned by YouTube and Facebook will only make him stronger. The research says that's not true.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
It's fine, I watched his reviews for years too, so I get the appeal. I just tuned out when I started to see him change. His reactions to TLOU are just the culmination of that.

As long as you understand why it's problematic, it's all good. And it seems that's the case

My first red flag came when he called Holdo from The Last Jedi "Admiral Gender Studies"...because she has purple hair...

It all came downhill fast from there.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
He isn't the only reviewer that didn't care for the story. Seemed to enjoy the game play. Hope I don't get banned.
Do you think people are mad because people dont enjoy the story? Or are you like many who are mad at a buff woman, lesbians, and a trans man being the stars of the game?

Judging by your comment it's probably the latter

Skeeter49

Oct 25, 2017
lol, that game came out and won multiple awards before Joe had even touched a playstation controller on his channel. What a laughably inflated ego there.
I remember watching his stream for that. Honestly wasn't expecting a 10, he seemed like he wasn't having fun with hte combat in 1, but maybe as he got the hang of it he started enjying it more. He only streamed the first few hours of 1, and then put the review out like 2 or 3 days later.. Can't believe
He thinks Ellie was turned into a lesbian for this game. I guess he could have forgotten that Left Behind moment, but you'd think he'd research that for his review..

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
Between this, the allegations against him, and how he hasn't said anything about his idiotic fans attacking a woman and her boyfriend, he really should be banned ASAP.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here

gettin flashbacks of that person who made a bunch of videos exclusively killing the feminist in Red Dead Redemption 2

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Normally I would agree with you, but I think Joe has become so complacent and lazy that he doesn't put forth anything meaningful enough to engage with. He clearly doesn't put the same effort into his content that he used to and just throwing his hands up and going "she's not a man", while only half-heartedly paying attention to the game that he made up his mind about before it was even released is not the kind of critical thinking I look for out of my video game critics.

He's not worth it.

Skeeter49

Oct 25, 2017
Am I confusing it with something else, or didn't he also
think that character was trans before the leak, adding a transphobic aspect to that as well?
He says
A trans related slur in his leak reaction. That someone else tweeted him, but he didn't censor anything out. Not sure if he took personal issue with it potentially being a trans character. Contorversy was he shouldn't have read teh slur I believe.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
It's a ridiculous take.
His entire channel is basically built on tearing media down though, so I can't say I'm surprised.
He basically promotes toxicity, I don't think we should give him the time of day to be honest.

Yibby

Nov 10, 2017
I watched it and it's pretty obvious that it's just a rant about him not getting the game he wants. Not even trying to understand the story or characters. The only part of an objective review is at the very end, about graphics, animation quality, etc.. .
The rest of the review is just: I can't play Joel = shitty writing, Abby = i hate her, Ellie = they destroyed her aka shitty writing.

idioteque

Nov 8, 2017
If you don't see anything to disagree with, then you agree with Joe's disgusting misogyny.

hmmm.. maybe you're right. Though, I'm not too old to learn learn new tricks and I'm open minded and willing to have my opinion changed.

From memory (admittedly I watched the review in-between matches of Warzone, so was a bit stop/start) here's what I took away from the review...

- He enjoyed playing as Abby, but the character was set up wrong
- Wanted to play more as Ellie
- Didn't like how Ellie was portrayed due to his fondness of her from the first game
- He also just didn't like the game and how Joel was handled

Now, what did I miss? What did he say in this review that was so misogynistic?

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Well Joe's been an absolute tosser complaing about the "SJWs" for some time now so not sure why people are surprised he's full masks off now.
Fuck him.

Nothing wrong with TLOU2, only thing I would like to change
is starting as Abby, hunting this guy who killed her father (but not mentioning Joel) and then after she kills him, you play as Elly on the revenge plot.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
hmmm.. maybe you're right. Though, I'm not too old to learn learn new tricks and I'm open minded and willing to have my opinion changed.

From memory (admittedly I watched the review in-between matches of Warzone, so was a bit stop/start) here's what I took away from the review...

- He enjoyed playing as Abby, but the character was set up wrong
- Wanted to play more as Ellie
- Didn't like how Ellie was portrayed due to his fondness of her from the first game
- He also just didn't like the game and how Joel was handled

Now, what did I miss? What did he say in this review that was so misogynistic?

How about you take a look at my OP instead of trolling?

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019

The opening minutes of his review have him hawking the "pewdiepie flavored g-fuel" products.

This is slowly getting into Alex Jones territory. Stoking controversy in order to sell ..protein? Caffeine??

Last edited:

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

Don't forget during the controversy when he said a transphobic slur during the leaks.

Then Cyberpunk 2077 tweet about gender options, concern trolling.

This guy goes on these anti-"SJW" rants all the time ever since Battlefield 5. Same with The Last Jedi. This dude is just hateful.

How he reacted to school shootings with pro-gun propaganda.
www.resetera.com

Angry Joe defends AR-15s against those who want to "take guns from everyone"

Given that he is a large gaming personality whose content often gets his own threads, I think it's important to have a thread for this, as we do for other gaming personalities when they do or say something harmful even if not directly related to gaming. This is disingenuous propaganda that is...

And then the sexual harassment, now.
www.resetera.com

Angry Joe accused of sexual harassment/predatory behaviour [Updates from both posted]

https://medium.com/@WookieMonsterTV/my-interaction-with-angryjoe-d715aedb0e02 Much, much more at the link including screencaps of text conversations. Update: Joe Responds https://www.resetera.com/threads/angryjoe-responds-to-sexual-assault-allegations.234028/#post-37878064

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It makes no sense because there is no other character that is jacked. She is the only character in the game that looks like that. No one even come close

Fucking bullshit. You meet at least two dozen jacked characters as enemies alone. Most of the guys she's with are jacked, too. They're army people, it's their fucking job to be jacked.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
yeah, can we please ban this guy? The dude clearly went in hating the game and was not open-minded at all to the story being told. What he has said comes off as extremely sexist and toxic as hell. Just disgusting.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I posted this in the other thread, go to any of the twitch clips he has here or vods here, report them for TOS Violation (as they are), cite the TOS about hate speech and harassment and do it for the videos. if enough reports come in, he will be perma'd from twitch. Its a lost cause on youtube, but at least twitch is aiming to change for the better with the recent things going on.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
From what I can tell he already had his negative opinion from the leaks.

There's a part where he's like 'Well, if we had built a connection with this character, and built that muscle, then...' and it's such bullshit, because also the point is being made of 'Who's this? This should be Ellie's story'.

It's post-hoc rationalisations of a dislike for the game that was based on leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.