• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
You play as Ellie in this game for just as long, if not longer than the length of the first game. You got what you paid for

I played Ellie 11 hours in this (probably 13 if we count idling and photo mode). This is not how long it took me to beat Last of us 1.

Did you miss that entire trailer that was about Abby getting captured by scars and saved by Lev? This isn't Raiden in MGS2, she wasn't a secret.

I had not read the leaks, congratulations if you were able to figure out how much of Abby would be in the game and how it would be featured in the game from a random clip with no gameplay they showed years ago that they made sure no reviewer talked about and was ignored in recent trailers and gameplay demos.

100% wrong.

People bought the game to play The Last of Us universe.. not just to play as Ellie.

Can you explain why you hated the second half?

Because I love Ellie but the second part of the game was the best when it comes to story development and set pieces.

I was replying to the guy that said it's not deceiving because they did show Ellie and you play Ellie.

But for the record "100%" wrong is also not quite the truth, because a ton of people cared about this world because of Ellie and Joel.

And like I said, if you got it for other reasons that's awesome. More power to you, I wish I could have enjoyed this more.

As to what I hated, here you go :
- I found Abby's story to be extremely bland and generic. Her appearance is the only reason people freak out about her, she's not a "Negan" type character, where you have to play a crazy villain character.

- A lot of the characters in her story are unbearable, Owen, Mel (I don't even know where to start with her), Many. Lev was cool and his sister too.
Lev was a breath of fresh air, I'll give him that.

- The pacing was god awful. So you spend 8 hours or so getting to Ellie's climax, and then they send you back in time and you have to grind your way back to the cliffhanger.
This does a huge disservice to the story and to Abby, because instead of me being slightly interested, I just lost patience with a lot of the padding.

- I really enjoyed "The Birthday" in the first half, and the open Seattle area that lets you explore, I was really excited to get more of those. Which I never got. The aquarium flashback was pathetic and the rest of the game as Abby is just go there pew pew go there stealth pew pew go there. The fire village may have been the "best set piece", a scary hospital, and she also got the only real boss battles, so I understand what you mean.
But the crucial difference is that I cared for Ellie, and I was immersed, playing as her. Since I had no connection with Abby and disliked her character because of how they introduced her, they would have needed a huge thing to sell me on her. What I got sure wasn't it, and the fact I felt I had to grind to get back to the present made me feel irritated instead of immersed, it completely killed any momentum.

- There were a lot of "really makes u think" moments that felt forced and artificial. Stuff like the dogs being nice puppies, I don't feel bad for killing them, because the enemies did turn them into killing machines and sent them to fight enemies armed with guns and grenades and flame throwers and what not. Or Owen's dog, that was a forced QTE. That's not my fault.
Ellie killing Mel and Owen, they couldn't mention Mel was pregnant ? Really ? Not at any point during that interaction ? But luckily Owen manages to mention it as he dies after she's already dead, convenient.
All those random jobbers given some cutscene time to drive home the fact they're friends of Abby, as if it makes any difference when I killed 300 of them as Ellie to get there.
Abby having an epiphany about how to treat people that saved her life.
The uncanny amount of times they should have died but didn't. By the end I felt they were all Nathan Drake's offsprings at this point.
It did not work for me, and it took me out of the game even more.

- It super dragged. It absolutely went on too long.

I'm forgetting things I'm sure, but my point is, all these issues I have, if they had showed the game more properly, I would have been able to either reshape my expectations, or just trust my instinct and wait for a sale.

I am not saying this is a bad game, I am not saying it's not worth playing, and I'm not saying you can't love it.

I just think it fell flat for me. And that the way it was promoted and reviewed, definitely led me to believe this was something else.
And I don't think that's okay to handle it honestly.

And for the record you can ask Vito, I knew nothing of the leaks, and while he had seen them and was super negative on the game, I was the one defending Naughty Dog and the game and telling him to give it a chance regardless of what he read.

Irony is that our feelings are now reversed. But I did give this a chance, and I enjoyed my first 10 hours.

Anyway, times are rough, no 70 euros is not what I would call "worth the experience", as far as I'm concerned, I genuinely thought I'd get a sequel more in line with my expectations, and I trusted them, but it wasn't blind faith, it was heavily pushed with the marketing and promo, and reviews and bla bla bla that I feel did not paint a clear picture of this game. (Whether good or bad, I think the picture is incomplete, is what I'm saying)

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
I played Ellie 11 hours in this (probably 13 if we count idling and photo mode). This is not how long it took me to beat Last of us 1.

I had not read the leaks, congratulations if you were able to figure out how much of Abby would be in the game and how it would be featured in the game from a random clip with no gameplay they showed years ago that they made sure no reviewer talked about and was ignored in recent trailers and gameplay demos.

I was replying to the guy that said it's not deceiving because they did show Ellie and you play Ellie.

But for the record "100%" wrong is also not quite the truth, because a ton of people cared about this world because of Ellie and Joel.

And like I said, if you got it for other reasons that's awesome. More power to you, I wish I could have enjoyed this more.

As to what I hated, here you go :
- I found Abby's story to be extremely bland and generic. Her appearance is the only reason people freak out about her, she's not a "Negan" type character, where you have to play a crazy villain character.

- A lot of the characters in her story are unbearable, Owen, Mel (I don't even know where to start with her), Many. Lev was cool and his sister too.
Lev was a breath of fresh air, I'll give him that.

- The pacing was god awful. So you spend 8 hours or so getting to Ellie's climax, and then they send you back in time and you have to grind your way back to the cliffhanger.
This does a huge disservice to the story and to Abby, because instead of me being slightly interested, I just lost patience with a lot of the padding.

- I really enjoyed "The Birthday" in the first half, and the open Seattle area that lets you explore, I was really excited to get more of those. Which I never got. The aquarium flashback was pathetic and the rest of the game as Abby is just go there pew pew go there stealth pew pew go there. The fire village may have been the "best set piece", a scary hospital, and she also got the only real boss battles, so I understand what you mean.
But the crucial difference is that I cared for Ellie, and I was immersed, playing as her. Since I had no connection with Abby and disliked her character because of how they introduced her, they would have needed a huge thing to sell me on her. What I got sure wasn't it, and the fact I felt I had to grind to get back to the present made me feel irritated instead of immersed, it completely killed any momentum.

- There were a lot of "really makes u think" moments that felt forced and artificial. Stuff like the dogs being nice puppies, I don't feel bad for killing them, because the enemies did turn them into killing machines and sent them to fight enemies armed with guns and grenades and flame throwers and what not. Or Owen's dog, that was a forced QTE. That's not my fault.
Ellie killing Mel and Owen, they couldn't mention Mel was pregnant ? Really ? Not at any point during that interaction ? But luckily Owen manages to mention it as he dies after she's already dead, convenient.
All those random jobbers given some cutscene time to drive home the fact they're friends of Abby, as if it makes any difference when I killed 300 of them as Ellie to get there.
Abby having an epiphany about how to treat people that saved her life.
The uncanny amount of times they should have died but didn't. By the end I felt they were all Nathan Drake's offsprings at this point.
It did not work for me, and it took me out of the game even more.

- It super dragged. It absolutely went on too long.

I'm forgetting things I'm sure, but my point is, all these issues I have, if they had showed the game more properly, I would have been able to either reshape my expectations, or just trust my instinct and wait for a sale.

I am not saying this is a bad game, I am not saying it's not worth playing, and I'm not saying you can't love it.

I just think it fell flat for me. And that the way it was promoted and reviewed, definitely led me to believe this was something else.
And I don't think that's okay to handle it honestly.

And for the record you can ask Vito, I knew nothing of the leaks, and while he had seen them and was super negative on the game, I was the one defending Naughty Dog and the game and telling him to give it a chance regardless of what he read.

Irony is that our feelings are now reversed. But I did give this a chance, and I enjoyed my first 10 hours.

Anyway, times are rough, no 70 euros is not what I would call "worth the experience", as far as I'm concerned, I genuinely thought I'd get a sequel more in line with my expectations, and I trusted them, but it wasn't blind faith, it was heavily pushed with the marketing and promo, and reviews and bla bla bla that I feel did not paint a clear picture of this game. (Whether good or bad, I think the picture is incomplete, is what I'm saying)

I disagree again but I'm not going to discuss this.

You clearly just don't like Abby as a character and for some reason you like more Owen than Mel .. he was the one cheating on a pregnant woman and I don't remember anything that Mel did wrong on this story.

But as I said I'm not going to make this a long discussion so.. some will like the story others won't. You just wanted TLOU 1.5 and it's fine.

Last edited:

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017

No judgment but I'm curious what your expectations were for a sequel? The way TLOU 1 ended the only way forward was for part 2 to be about the fallout from the lie on Ellie and Joel's relationship. ND gave us that story and expanded TLOU universe at the same time. I didn't follow the marketing for this game super closely. All I know is that they showed an Ellie focused trailer in 2016 then an Abby focused trailer in 2017.

Time and money are super valuable these days but it just seems weird that people with very set expectations would buy something immediately vs waiting for more info.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Funny how this dude claims that tlou is only as popular as it is because of him when the moron didn't even review playstation games until well after the game came out and it was clear how popular the ps4 was going to be this generation.
Can you tell me the timestamp for when he says this stupidity?

Rex1157

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
He even attributed the success of the first game and the franchise on himself, in the video talking about the game sales.
"We knew that was gonna happen, because... I mean, the AngryJoe Show gave The Last of Us a 10/10 so why wouldn't the second one sell?".

He played the game on PS4 when it was already a success and won many, many awards.
What part of the video does he do that in?

DitaParlo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i thought he was "dead" with nostalgia critic. Never liked him, anyway even when I was young.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
i thought he was "dead" with nostalgia critic. Never liked him, anyway even when I was young.
I feel like he distanced himself from Channel Awesome earlier than a lot others did, occasionally doing a superhero crossover with them every now and then.

Not sure if it was due to all the Channel Awesome drama, or if he just thought he became too good for Channel Awesome. Mix of both probably.

DitaParlo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like he distanced himself from Channel Awesome earlier than a lot others did, occasionally doing a superhero crossover with them every now and then.

Not sure if it was due to all the Channel Awesome drama, or if he just thought he became too good for Channel Awesome. Mix of both probably.
god, joe have 3.2mi subs and channel awesome have "only" 1.2mi, never crossed my mind

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
And that was the first real trailer, Ellie or Joel looked to have no part of that. The teaser, announcement trailer was Ellie singing and that wasn't part of the game, we all knew it wouldn't be part of the game in a way. It looked like test footage.
I think it was mentioned that it the scene wouldn't be in the game like the first trailer for the last of us part I.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
*words about being deceived because you only play as Ellie for about 60% of the game*

This is such a weird fucking complaint.
TLOU2 was much more Ellie's story than Abby's, overall. I would imagine that if you're a fan you wanted to know more about what happened with Ellie and Joel and Tommy after the events of TLOU1, and those questions were answered rather comprehensively.
There was nothing deceitful about the marketing of the game. Creators can take their story wherever they want and use the characters however they want, you're not entitled to playing a character that's on the cover for any specific percentage of any game.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
This is such a weird fucking complaint.
TLOU2 was much more Ellie's story than Abby's, overall. I would imagine that if you're a fan you wanted to know more about what happened with Ellie and Joel and Tommy after the events of TLOU1, and those questions were answered rather comprehensively.
There was nothing deceitful about the marketing of the game. Creators can take their story wherever they want and use the characters however they want, you're not entitled to playing a character that's on the cover for any specific percentage of any game.
Yep, and even then, Abby's story is all connected to Joel and Ellie, and her story compliments Ellie's as a scale.

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Yep, and even then, Abby's story is all connected to Joel and Ellie, and her story compliments Ellie's as a scale.

Obviously, Ellie's story wouldn't make much sense without Abby's story. If those parts were completely written out, you would have a straight revenge story where a bad thing happens and then the heroine goes and kills everyone. It would still be an okay game, but it would be a one vastly inferior to what we've gotten.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously, Ellie's story wouldn't make much sense without Abby's story. If those parts were completely written out, you would have a straight revenge story where a bad thing happens and then the heroine goes and kills everyone. It would still be an okay game, but it would be a one vastly inferior to what we've gotten.
It's apparently the one the gamers wanted though, and wanted her to become John Wick.

supkid

Oct 29, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
I never actually paid any attention to him, and I understand why people think he should be banned, but personally I think it's better to highlight idiotic people like this and take them to task rather than sweep them under the carpet and pretend they don't exist. I wouldn't have realised he was a piece of shit other than seeing this thread tbh.

DHonko

Banned
Jun 2, 2020
User Banned (Permanent): Drive-by trolling in a sensitive thread. Account in junior phase.
Great review by Joe, as always. Echoed a lot of my same sentiments about the game's story.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Great review by Joe, as always. Echoed a lot of my same sentiments about the game's story.

So you looked at the OP and this is what you decided to post? The only take away one can gather from this is that you share his shitty sexist views. How nice of you to let us all know that. Prick.

Last edited:

biocat

Oct 25, 2017
Almost didn't post because I don't want this thread bumped.

He should be banned. Don't give more of a voice to that man-child.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
The worst part about all of this, is that misogynistic fucks like Angry Joe are drawing so much attention, that decent people with legitimate, non bigoted criticisms of the game's writing - and also of many of the reviews of the game by professional games journalists - are being largely ignored. And it fucking sucks. It's gamergate all over again, and I hate it so goddamn much. We can't have an honest conversation about this damn game, just like we couldn't have an honest conversation about "ethics in games journalism" after gamergate blew up, because the conversation has been completely hijacked by angry men using it as an excuse to push their disgusting, regressive agenda.

I wouldn't say that's the worst thing about it at all. Absolutely not.

There are also places here you can talk about the game. Yeah, you might get a few idiots that attempt to hijack the conversation, but you can definitely talk about your issues with the game.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The game sold over 4 million copies in three days people.

Sure there are the usual suspects complaining about it online making the most noise, but those who enjoyed it did so and have positive memories of the game, nothing these sexist dickheads say can change that. Silent majority and all that.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Almost didn't post because I don't want this thread bumped.

He should be banned. Don't give more of a voice to that man-child.
Yep, there has been enough bad shit coming from him lately which should warrant a ban. ResetEra shouldn't advertise his content when he's on his way to become a full alt-right shithead.

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
I disagree again but I'm not going to discuss this.

You clearly just don't like Abby as a character and for some reason you like more Owen than Mel .. he was the one cheating on a pregnant woman and I don't remember anything that Mel did wrong on this story.

But as I said I'm not going to make this a long discussion so.. some will like the story others won't. You just wanted TLOU 1.5 and it's fine.
I also don't want to go too deep into this discussion cause it's off-topic but I just want to say I think this is a really lame dismissal of this person's criticisms. Like I get you didn't want to derail the thread by typing a longer response but responding to someone having issues with a sequel by saying "you just wanted the first one again" is pretty reductive and inflammatory. You're better off leaving that part out. And I like TLOU2 a lot fwiw.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I also don't want to go too deep into this discussion cause it's off-topic but I just want to say I think this is a really lame dismissal of this person's criticisms. Like I get you didn't want to derail the thread by typing a longer response but responding to someone having issues with a sequel by saying "you just wanted the first one again" is pretty reductive and inflammatory. You're better off leaving that part out. And I like TLOU2 a lot fwiw.

I agree. I liked Last of Us part 2 I'm on my second playthrough in NG+ which is super fun since all my weapons were close to max by the end. But I have some problems with the game. Pacing for one, length I think it's a tad too long felt it could have wrapped up much earlier in my opinion. And there are some shitty written characters
specifically Mel.

Mel basically jokes about wanting a drink, and she;s like " I could go for a drink, just wish I wasn't pregnant, as she's on a legit "combat mission with Abby and Manny while fucking pregnant? Like I agree thats total disregard for the life inside of her. I get they are showing the lengths people in this world will go to contribute to their communities, but Mel kind of acts throughout the game like she doesn't even want the baby. She was pregnant when they went on the revenge trail to find Joel.

Which I know everyone hates this guy but Angry Joe put up another discussion video on Last of us part 2 and legit the other Joe who liked the game, makes some good points on some of the things I also found wrong/sloppy in some of the writing and overall pacing/setup.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
The game sold over 4 million copies in three days people.

Sure there are the usual suspects complaining about it online making the most noise, but those who enjoyed it did so and have positive memories of the game, nothing these sexist dickheads say can change that. Silent majority and all that.
The problem has gone beyond just caring about the sales of the game though, these hateful people are enabling the haters who are sending death threats to people involved in the game. There are ways to be critical of something, but plenty of these YouTubers are simply riling the idiots up for those clicks and money, without caring a little bit about repercussions.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

Excuse me ?

I don't "like" Owen more, I hate both of them. What didn't you get about "they are unbearable".

As for why is Mel worse, isn't it obvious ?
Owen is a shit bag. Cool. That's his problem, I don't care about him.
Mel is pregnant, puts herself first on the battlefield, keeps jumping into super hazardous shit, does platforming, AND doesn't even mention she's pregnant when someone holds her at gunpoint, not even after her lover gets shot, but she tries to kill the attacker then gets murdered and causes the death of her baby.

I hate both and I hate her more, yes.

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
I wouldn't say that's the worst thing about it at all. Absolutely not.

There are also places here you can talk about the game. Yeah, you might get a few idiots that attempt to hijack the conversation, but you can definitely talk about your issues with the game.

It's not as bad here as other places, because raging misogyny like that in the Angry Joe video gets you banned, but.... look, there's a reason a lot of LGBTQ+ people have been largely staying out of TLOU2 threads here, okay? We figured out it wasn't the worth the time or energy a long time ago. And I really don't really feel like having this conversation again, either. You wanna hear my thoughts on TLOU2 discussion on resetera? They're all laid out right here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/yo...n-cyberpunk-2077.236938/page-11#post-38369410 (and for the record, I agree with not just the person I quoted, but also the person THEY quoted, too.)

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Excuse me ?

I don't "like" Owen more, I hate both of them. What didn't you get about "they are unbearable".

Mel is pregnant, puts herself first on the battlefield, keeps jumping into super hazardous shit, does platforming, AND doesn't even mention she's pregnant when someone holds her at gunpoint, not even after her lover gets shot, but she tries to kill the attacker then gets murdered and causes the death of her baby.

I can't.
There are no words for how much I disagree with all of your takes.

RightChandMan

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans, LA
His 2nd review (the extended discussion) is much better than his angry review, but still....that Angry Review its troubling and how he decided to hate the game before even playing it.

Yikes at the video in the OP....sigh. Uncalled for.

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I'm so relieved to hear that the second video of this misogynistic piece of shit and alleged predator is a little better.

Totally clears Angry Joe. Thank you!

KG

Banned
Oct 12, 2018
Late game spoilers

I get people wanted to play as Ellie the whole game or expected to play as Joel as well. I remember the first trailer with Ellie in that cottage at the end of it, Joel was shown kind of like a ghost like figure. I figured from that that Joel dies, but was expecting that Ellie sees Joel in her head like Batman in Arkham Knight. I'm glad they didn't go that route that as it has already been done.

As for playing Abby, I enjoyed it overall. But the 2 best parts of playing Abby were facing off against Tommy(who knew he was such a badass, seriously this was like MGS type battle) and facing Ellie who can easily wreck Abby during the battle. Seriously, Ellie was scary as a boss. To be able to see Ellie from that perspective was awesome.

What's pathetic about angry sex offender is that he needs this controversy to make his money. He will make money off something he didn't like too much. If there were no bad or controversial games, he wouldn't make nearly as much. Jim Sterling made a video that he really gets views on negative videos and he backed it up with stats of his videos. What a sad career.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
His team actually sits down and has a discussion on why the game didnt work for them. Alex (I think thats his name) stated he liked the game and he gives his reasons what worked and didnt work. He didn't have his "Angry" gimmick for the most part.
tbh, i'd rather have videos where i hear other joe and alex instead of angry joe, hell you can find old videos where AJ just shuts down anything Alex tries to say in some videos.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Excuse me ?

Saying that a murder victim is responsible for getting herself and her unborn baby murdered, that she "caused the death of her baby" instead of the murderer who has been on a relentless killing spree for days and days at that point is certainly a take

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
His team actually sits down and has a discussion on why the game didnt work for them. Alex (I think thats his name) stated he liked the game and he gives his reasons what worked and didnt work. He didn't have his "Angry" gimmick for the most part.
If anything the angry joe guy was more disappointed and sad than angry in his review. I thought he was gonna start crying at some points.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
Excuse me ?

Saying that a murder victim is responsible for getting herself and her unborn baby murdered, that she "caused the death of her baby" instead of the murderer who has been on a relentless killing spree for days and days at that point is certainly a take

Exactly.. also the word "hate" it a little strong for me when we talk about fictional characters in a video game. You can dislike some of them but to hate them is like on another level.

I didn't bother watching AJ new video.. I'm done with his content since months ago and now I'm 100% sure I made the right decision.

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
I am seeing people in here say they used to like Angry Joe and I am wondering why? Does anyone remember when he got REALLY upset with Geoff Keighley about 10 years ago? That was one of the first Angry Joe vids I ever saw and knew from that point he was just an awful man child. It was just so bad. He was ranting and ranting like a man child, attacking Geoff and was just so clearly wrong. We thank Geoff for exposing Angry Joe as an idiot back in 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.