• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed that review enough to sit through the whole thing. I thought Joe was pretty fair and his frustrations mirror mine. Anthem is one of the most irritating games I've ever played. It reeks of a game that doesn't understand what it is supposed to be, and that's kinda unforgivable given BioWare have had the benefit of watching and learning from the trials and tribulations of various other devs who have made similar games this gen. They've made all the same mistakes, and a few new ones.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I 've watched a good number of reviews on Anthem but none that thorough (Skillup is very close). Good job AJ.
Now, I am extremely worried about Bioware's future.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
I don't think that it's possible to fix such a fundamentally broken game.

What is "fundamentaly" broken and unfixable other than, perhaps, loading screens?

The items can be fixed. New endgame can be added. Bugs can be fixed. New stories can be told. Seriously, what is "unfixable"? The core gameplay is fun and the game looks great. These are the only two things that can't be fixed in time, and Anthem nails both of them. The rest is very problematic, but fixable. I said it here before - criticism is one thing, but some people are almost cheering for the game to fail long term.

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
No joke, I'd rather listen to Other Joe's goldfish misadventures for an hour than play Anthem for a minute.

Oct 27, 2017
Man, that's one hell of a review! Lol.
My friend's inviting me to grab the game on PS4 though, I'm sure for example, that the loading issues can be patched.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
I don't know, if I had to choose what a game like this does wrong i would much prefer the looter than the shooter part which seems like it's quite fun. What seems more difficult to fix is the loading times because I guess those are due to structural reasons of how the game is built. I mean loading screens between menus is really really fucked up.

CrazyHal

Nov 1, 2017
What is "fundamentaly" broken and unfixable other than, perhaps, loading screens?

The items can be fixed. New endgame can be added. Bugs can be fixed. New stories can be told. Seriously, what is "unfixable"? The core gameplay is fun and the game looks great. These are the only two things that can't be fixed in time, and Anthem nails both of them. The rest is very problematic, but fixable. I said it here before - criticism is one thing, but some people are almost cheering for the game to fail long term.

Yes things like the loot and the bugs can be fix, but a the boring ass story and super repetitive missions probably can not. Adding new content won't magically fix the old one.

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
forget about the loadings... the crafting and grinding is freaki awful, my god who would want to grind so much even after finishing the game??

lmao what a joke

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
The loot is actually embarrassing. Just 2 slightly different armour options and a bunch of reskinned weapons? Looking cool is like half the point of these games.

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah I'm done buying games at full price that have the "promise" of being good. I can't believe this is what the gaming industry has been reduced to. Waiting for the next update or patch, etc.

Division 2 / Destiny 3 / whatever else of these Looter-Shooter/MMO-lite games in the future are never getting day 1 purchases from me.

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
Yes things like the loot and the bugs can be fix, but a the boring ass story and super repetitive missions probably can not. Adding new content won't magically fix the old one.

Story is better than Destiny story, IMO and is not that important for this type of game. As for missions - well, sure, the old ones will stay the same but new ones will, hopefully be better. Again, same like Destiny. This is a game where you won't do old missions again anyway.

DigitalT

Oct 27, 2017
I was so excited for this game, but the fact I can't get a consistent 60fps on low settings killed it for me.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
User Warned: drive-by posting
Can't stand this dude. Literally cannot sit through more than :30 seconds of listening to him. He reminds me of my annoying relatives that live in Long Island.

Nov 3, 2017
Sometimes YT comments aren't bad

0K4gKfc.gif

Oct 27, 2017

EA isn't going to fix the game. If 6 years got you that mission variety, weapons, stories, AI, endgame missions, locations - you are looking at 2020 Holidays to get to the point where Division 2 is going to get on Day 1.

Keep in mind, there is a pile of games which got their support axed by EA (Andromeda, NFS Payback, Battlefront II and probably BFV). So between the incompetence of Bioware to get the game into a good state after 6 years AND EA's lack of interest in growing their games - what is a realistic scenario?

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I could do with less yelling but he brings up good points. I'm only about 4 hours in and enjoying it so far but it sounds like later on it gets very repetitive. So far I'd give it a 7.

The loading screens are not a big deal to me so maybe he played before the latest update. Yes they are there but not very long, at least for me, maybe 20 seconds. I think the biggest problem with these games are the in-game currencies and the balance between free updates and microtransactions. A free to play model in a $60 game is never a good idea so I expect a lot of (warranted) outcry and corrections will be made later on.

Apr 16, 2018
No way this game was made in 5 years.

It was probably hastily cobbled together in its last 18 month similar to Final Fantasy XIII.

Only difference is I actually liked that game.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm done buying games at full price that have the "promise" of being good. I can't believe this is what the gaming industry has been reduced to. Waiting for the next update or patch, etc.

Division 2 / Destiny 3 / whatever else of these Looter-Shooter/MMO-lite games in the future are never getting day 1 purchases from me.
Too be fair, it's not all of the gaming industry. Metro just released, full game. We just had a year of amazing Sony and Nintendo Games that were complete, critically good and respected players.

Good companies need to be supported and shown the market is still there for decent games. There are reasons why I and others support Sony and/or Nintendo

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
How do you honestly have just two or three armor sets per class and only a handful of gun models per weapon type? Like, how does that happen? Even if they restarted development 18 months ago, wouldn't they still have some stuff, like armor and weapon models they could salvage? What, is there only one part-time artist at Bioware?

And the Strongholds. As Joe pointed out, one is was from the demo. One is just a repeat of the final boss, and apparently the last one is actually original, but boss is a repeat of one you fight from another mission, but it has an energy force field. And people thought Bungie reusing and recycling stuff in Destiny was bad.

My mind is just blown away at the pathetically meager amount of content. SIX YEARS!?!? And that's all a AAA studio and publisher has to show? It's beyond embarrassing. It's shameful.

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
EA isn't going to fix the game. If 6 years got you that mission variety, weapons, stories, AI, endgame missions, locations - you are looking at 2020 Holidays to get to the point where Division 2 is going to get on Day 1.

Keep in mind, there is a pile of games which got their support axed by EA (Andromeda, NFS Payback, Battlefront II and probably BFV). So between the incompetence of Bioware to get the game into a good state after 6 years AND EA's lack of interest in growing their games - what is a realistic scenario?

No idea. Maybe it won't be fixed. I hope it does because it's really fun. Personally, I'm enjoying it way more than both Destiny and Destiny 2 on their launch days. I just hope enough people are having fun and the game does well so we get Anthem 2 eventually.

Of course, if it were up to Era, BioWare would get shut down. Seriously, it's like vultures flying around the game.

Last edited:

Tankard

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Love AJ game reviews. This one was one of his best and he always go in depth but this review in particular was a dissection.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
"Remember, this is Bioware."

Why do people keep saying that like it's somehow supposed to give the company who made this more respect? Yeah, exactly, it's Bioware, this checks out completely then how it turned out. They haven't done anything significant for the past one and a half decade.

"Makers of Mass Effect"
A game series that started out strong then completely flopped over when trying to pay off the story.
"Knights of the Old Republic"
A game series that was better when another studio made it and tried to actually do something interesting with the Star Wars property.
"And Dragon Age."
A series that started off as a light Baldur's Gate and ended as a watered down action game.

None of what's going on is surprising anymore, so why do people get surprised? It's like when they come and cry that another Bethesda game was boring and bad to play and I have to go "Yeah, exactly, just like the previous one and the one before that!" Fallout 76 was a natural evolution of the series since clearly people didn't give a toss about story and quests because they preferred FO3 and 4 over New Vegas.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
It's just crazy that BioWare managed to make a worse game than their "b team" which got closed. While Andromeda was a laughing stock in the gaming world many believe that the "true" BioWare are yet to release their masterpiece, aaaand we got this.
It's like if Bethesda were to release a shittier game than fallout 76 a few years later, that's two strikes in a row for the BioWare teams. honestly I don't know how EA will react if this doesn't hit their sales target, which I doubt it will.

Going by the roadmap the big endgame event is coming in May, hopefully the game will survive for that long.

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018

To each their own. I got Division and Destiny 2 at launch and had fun with D2 (Division only so-so). Now I got Anthem and having a blast. I'll almost certainly get Division 2 day 1 next month, I'll be there for Destiny 3 and - you know - if we ever get Anthem 2.

Some people like looter shooters. I know it's hard to grasp, but - for example - I wish I could get my money back for Red Dead Redemption 2, but this one I'm having a lot of fun with. That's the thing with different tastes: they are, indeed, different.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I don't think that it's possible to fix such a fundamentally broken game.

Nah its something that's fixable over time. Loading times and bugs can be addressed. How and when players get interesting loot can be addressed. UI issues can be addressed. I don't see anything from a gameplay standpoint that's unfixable.

That being said, with all these issues plaguing it at launch, Anthem has zero buisness being on store shelves right now. It probably should have dropped in the summer at the earliest. All these things are likely due to not giving the devs enough time to properly let QA do its job.

Corporal

Oct 27, 2017
If there is any justice in the world, Bioware should (fix the game and then) patch in an NPC that talks about exploding goldfish...

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"Remember, this is Bioware."

Why do people keep saying that like it's somehow supposed to give the company who made this more respect? Yeah, exactly, it's Bioware, this checks out completely then how it turned out. They haven't done anything significant for the past one and a half decade.

"Makers of Mass Effect"
A game series that started out strong then completely flopped over when trying to pay off the story.
"Knights of the Old Republic"
A game series that was better when another studio made it and tried to actually do something interesting with the Star Wars property.
"And Dragon Age."
A series that started off as a light Baldur's Gate and ended as a watered down action game.

None of what's going on is surprising anymore, so why do people get surprised? It's like when they come and cry that another Bethesda game was boring and bad to play and I have to go "Yeah, exactly, just like the previous one and the one before that!" Fallout 76 was a natural evolution of the series since clearly people didn't give a toss about story and quests because they preferred FO3 and 4 over New Vegas.
I'm gonna guess that when people get tatoos of the Normandy, the impact BioWare games have are that signficant.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Jeez at the weapons being basically the same. I remember when we heard Anthem wouldn't have PvP, people said "now that they don't have to balance weapons for PvP, they can do crazy weapons" and it turns out they do even less. I don't understand how you can make a looter SHOOTER and all the guns are basically the same with pretty much no real cool or unique weapons. I couldn't imagine Destiny without exotics.

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
Too be fair, it's not all of the gaming industry. Metro just released, full game. We just had a year of amazing Sony and Nintendo Games that were complete, critically good and respected players.

Good companies need to be supported and shown the market is still there for decent games. There are reasons why I and others support Sony and/or Nintendo

Agreed.

Some people like looter shooters. I know it's hard to grasp

Don't give me this bullshit. When Destiny 1 and 2 "got it right" after Taken King, Forsaken, etc they were fine and I enjoyed them. The criticism is that it takes far too long to get there and day 1 is almost inherently bad. This shouldn't be an expected feature of these types of games and people shouldn't be expected to fork over the retail price of games that are more complete at launch (see the above quote I responded to). That's what people are rallying against. Maybe that's hard for people like you to grasp.

Last edited:

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Unlikely indeed, no way EA throws that much money/resources at Bioware. They probably think the game is good enough as it is. Hell, they released it at full price so...

Well the game is grindy with ridiculous pricing on the "best gear" which leads to using RL money to buy shit.....so yeah its good for EA.

Dec 4, 2017
My mind is just blown away at the pathetically meager amount of content. SIX YEARS!?!? And that's all a AAA studio and publisher has to show? It's beyond embarrassing. It's shameful.
From what I undestand of project flows, the model used by EA for their companies (the waterfall) has a critical flaw in that, if a fundamental design issue occurs relatively late in the cycle and cannot be repaired, everything has to be dumped and restarted from scratch (pretty much feels like they did). Which is why I joked that Bioware should adopt AGILE instead, in that "what would you do..." thread.

Deleted member 1759

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
To be fair some of the swtor stories (Imperial Agent comes to mind) are better than a lot of single player story driven games as well.
I have had SWTOR installed for ages but never played it. Can I play the "good" stories (is there a list of them?) without the premium sub? I know that I can play them, just not sure if it will get grindy or something when playing it without subscription.

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
How do you know so much about what is in the division 2? Is the game out?

Can't speak for him but I played the beta plus I mean they have a whole end game trailer showing you what's coming plus all the other stuff leading up to the end game There's a ton of content coming in Division 2 and Ubisoft has been very up front about a lot of it.