• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wow, the whole strider thing is

wow

If they had an engine that could support the fight in the intro cutscene, this game would be GOTY material. If they could simulate that huge battle, that would be it for competition.

Ulthanito

Alt-Account
Banned
Feb 23, 2019
I have never liked these kinda games. I tried Destiny 1-2, was fun for an hour.

BioWare has been far-far away from her old reputation.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
Whew, watch all of it. Can't believe Bioware made this pos.
Yeah...it's like they are not confident there were enough markers on the face.
OM702B.gif
Direct response to tired face from Andromeda. Somehow worse, at least Mass Effect "my face is tired" Andromeda didn't make me cringe like this gif.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly found that pretty shocking. They are just static models in it's default pose that were plopped into the game, and they look like shit compare to what was shown in the trailers. They look awful compared to the rest or the game. Feels like they put them in at the very last minute.

Thats the kicker, there is footage of them from 2017 crashing down on trees. It's like...there had to have been a huge reboot of the whole game late 2017/2018 because....wow. Like just seeing the Strider stand there motionless is actually shocking? Like you said, they just plopped that asset into the game and that's it. I bet if it tried to move, it wouldn't have an animation and just slide around.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Its truly baffling how little content Anthem has its like a game in pre alpha with a focus on finishing its graphics and basic gameplay before expanding on anything else.
Anthem would have been better off if the the story campaign at launch was just an introduction to the world and a look at the threats to come with the content rollouts. They couldn't even manage that.

AcidCat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bellingham WA
Yep. Skill Up does a similar takedown of the game in a more measured fashion if you dont care for Joes theatrics, but yeah, its all on target. Anthem is probably my biggest disappointment this gen.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I feel bad for Bioware. Like, I don't know if this is the game they wanted to make.
I really have to wonder what Casey Hudson was even thinking. He starts this project, leaves Bioware, comes back to Bioware still working on it, and sees it to release.

Like, was production so off the rails that people begged him to come back to set it on some sort of course?

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Still enjoying the game, I'm a huge ironman sucker and the game delivers on that fantasy pretty well but I agree with this video 100%. Like, Joe took my brain and splattered my anthem thoughts into a 50min video.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
To be fair, it's a lot easier to make a trailer look awesome than a whole game.
It's more than visual fidelity. The Striders, a core element of the lore and world of Anthem, are completely static in the game. They aren't a part of any missions. The don't animate. Nothing. The equivalent of throwing a character model into a game in a T pose and just leaving it at that.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really have to wonder what Casey Hudson was even thinking. He starts this project, leaves Bioware, comes back to Bioware still working on it, and sees it to release.

Like, was production so off the rails that people begged him to come back to set it on some sort of course?

That's right, he did didn't he?

Man. I really want a post mortem on the whole Anthem Saga. Like man, to be a fly during the creation of this game.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
It's more than visual fidelity. The Striders, a core element of the lore and world of Anthem, are completely static in the game. They aren't a part of any missions. The don't animate. Nothing. The equivalent of throwing a character model into a game in a T pose and just leaving it at that.

I get that but as always its probably not as easy as people make it sound.

Most likely they couldn't get the animation to work without something going horribly wrong and opt to cut it completely.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I get that but as always its probably not as easy as people make it sound.

Most likely they couldn't get the animation to work without something going horribly wrong and opt to cut it completely.
They didn't cut it though. The models were just left there.

This is a AAA game. I know it's not easy, but expecting something like the existence of ANY animation seems...not unreasonable?

It's not some random filler in the background. Strikers are presented as a core part of the Anthem world. They are shown going to battle in the cutscenes.

Oct 25, 2017
Jeez the review kinda makes me angry and its exactly what I expected the game to end up like.
Glad I didn't fall for it especially after falling for Destiny twice .

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
They didn't cut it though. The models were just left there.

This is a AAA game. I know it's not easy, but expecting something like the existence of ANY animation seems...not unreasonable?

I mean as in they cut the animation.

It depends on what the problem is I suppose. Because it's less likely that it's laziness and more like it's just not enough time to fix it.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean as in they cut the animation.

It depends on what the problem is I suppose. Because it's less likely that it's laziness and more like it's just not enough time to fix it.

There's no laziness here. More than likely, again, like I keep saying -- massively troubled development that likely underwent major restructuring late in the process and they had no choice but to push it out the door.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing how much better SWTOR was in comparison. An MMO has better story and presentation than a co-op loot shooter in 2019. How? I must know what happened? What must Casey Hudson think since he started the project only to come back and see it turn into a mess?

To be fair some of the swtor stories (Imperial Agent comes to mind) are better than a lot of single player story driven games as well.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's no laziness here. More than likely, again, like I keep saying -- massively troubled development that likely underwent major restructuring late in the process and they had no choice but to push it out the door.

Yeah it's not laziness. The 2017 E3 trailer showed that the Striders used to have animation. Something happened in the development that either they had to scrap alot of things or they had to rebuild alot of the stuff they had.

Games are hard to make. They get exponentially harder when you have to reboot development or restructure what you do have.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Can BioWare develop a time machine next, travel back in time, and choose not to get bought by EA?

They used to make some of my favorite games. To see them so severely mismanaged and taken out of their element is fucking heartbreaking.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished watching the review and I mean, the game's existence is at least justified by it, it was entertaining. Loved the OJ story :)

Shame about Bioware ending up where they are, I mean Joe gave god damn Inquisition a 9...

NinjaBoiX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My Angry Joe review is that they're very well produced and he often makes some great points. But fuck me I wish he'd just get to the point sometimes.

He constantly interjects with these "jokes" and beats them to death for far longer than they're worth. A 5-10 minute video of him simply explaining what he does and doesn't like about the game would be far more entertaining for me.

He's just nowhere as funny as he thinks he is, just review the fucking game man.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Rightly eviscerated , what a disappointment after all that hype . Genuinely wonder if people playing this value their time at all or are just trying to justify their purchase

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
After watching this i can only think back to that rumour that said the game was a mess and will be delayed. That rumour also had PS5 news and said this game was running on a PS5 devkit. Surely this has to give that rumour some credibility now yeah?

Such a shame this game turned out like this