• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
That's if it even gets that far.

Something like that happened to my mother. She went to the police, they half-assed an investigation and everyone who saw it said nothing.

Hell, my sister was raped at 9 by someone I knew, but she didn't tell us for 5 years.

We went to the police at that point and they did a bit of looking into it and were like "I guess he joined the military, oh well" and that was the end of that.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
She's already provided evidence with the texts. And Joe's statement has confirmed that the night did take place.

The onus is on him now to prove otherwise. I said before we should wait and you're right, that was probably wrong of me, but regardless if he can't prove that she's wrong (which he claims is easy) then this whole thing leans in her favour and people should feel free to rip into him.

Not only she provided this, she consistently described a set up in which he was actively taking precautions to have an upper hand at deflecting the narrative should it come to it (vide taking pictures, denying her using her phone etc) - I don't quite understand why people generally in this thread are assuming this woman is more likely in any way to make this shit up in order to "destroy his life" rather than describe a situation of discomfort and being taken advantage of.

I'm kidding actually - I totally understand, being a rape survivor and have experienced this sort of denial first hand.

Which is kind of gross looking at some of the comments here.

Last edited:

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
That's clearly abusive behaviour. Idk legally if it would fit in the harassment category, even though if it missed it'd be just barely.
He was clearly abusing his position of simbolic power and psychologically pushing her to do things she'd be uncomfortable doing.

Good that it's been ousted. Even though I don't see him being criminally punished by this, let it at least shame him into a better behavior.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's worrying that so many kids adore streamers that turn out to be bad people, even just passively watching and listening, you just don't know what they pick up and what is impressed on them. Parents probably think games equals kids, that is if they even care at all what their kids are doing?

Any parents here let their kids watch streamers?

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Hell, my sister was raped at 9 by someone I knew, but she didn't tell us for 5 years.

We went to the police at that point and they did a bit of looking into it and were like "I guess he joined the military, oh well" and that was the end of that.

Sorry to hear that. My mother wasn't raped for the record but if she was they wouldn't have done anything.

My sister was stalked by one of her exes and we eventually called the police when he slit the cars tires. Officer said he'd sort it out but nothing happened. Another incident and a different officer came. We litteraly heard the radio tell him that the previous officer had done nothing and said it was all sorted and he just sort of looked at us with a blank face.

If it ain't something easy to prove, they don't care.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
It might get me banned but I'm sorry I've read the whole story and fail to see any sexual harassment...

That's funny, because I see it happening at multiple points.

Let's go to a restaurant! No wait I'm actually taking you to my hotel room. Only just a minute! How about we shower together? Only kidding! Unless you really want to, then I'm not kidding. Here let me remove your only means of contacting people, and let me photograph ourselves together on the bed just in case I need to shut you down in future. Okay now I'm gonna say you're my girl on the side. You don't want to play along? Your feeling uncomfortable? You know who I am? This would be really bad for you if you dare open your mouth. Worse for you than for me, since you're a nobody.

Read all that and tell me what you're seeing. Multiple points of coercion, multiple red flags of shitty behavior. Just because he didn't assault her doesn't mean he's somehow absolved of all this harassment.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Demanding "concrete proof" of sexual assault or rape from years ago before you believe victims is part and parcel of the reason many of them don't come forward.
I think a lot of people at least vaguely understand what the underlying problems are, but they're disturbed by any solution that may actually approach those problems.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
This seems like the most reasonable response on here.

Doesn't it seem sensible to acknowledge the individual accusing AJ of this and then wait to see what the actual outcome is before grabbing the pitchforks?

Not to be rude but a large majority of this community are happy to go all in without having all the facts. If it turned out this wasn't true then that's an awful accusation to have to your name.

Equally, if Joe did do this, then he should be punished properly.

What outcome are you expecting? There will be no legal action here.

It would be impossible to prove an actual crime because it is one person's word against another and one of those people went out of his way to generate evidence that would give the impression that it was a lovely, consensual time. The picture, the attending of parties primarily made up of his friends and contacts, the refusal to allow phone use and of course the classic drag to side of the room aggressive guilt trip.

That, of course, is ignoring, even if legal action is taken, actual rapists usually get away with it because unless you are literally jumping on someone in a park then a jury or judges err on the side of the attacker. That's if it even makes it to trial because, again, unless you are jumped in a park, anything else is usually downplayed by those in power.

Waiting for the trial or "more evidence" is pointless and often a cover for dismissal.

Once an accusation has been made, it's down to personal choice, you either believe the victim or don't. Then what you do with your relationship to the attacker is up to you.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Its not the usual rape or harassment story that comes out but let's sum up what happened:

Unwanted sexual advances
Separating a girl from her ability to leave a situation, no phone, money, transportation
Trying to intoxicate them
Verbalizing everything you are doing to try and make them feel obligated to return a favor
Not allowing them to talk to others, getting mad when they do
Guilting people for not giving what you want

These all huge red flags for women and scary af. This isn't criminal but it's extremely creepy and borderline pre-rape behavior. What this highly communicates is that he uses his platform to manipulate women.

EDIT: what a lot of people don't understand is that rape isn't always violent. Sometimes its the surrounding situation and fear that makes women feel they need to agree to sex because they fear for their safety. Power dynamics are complex and at at best he is being reckless with his.

This is all true

Is he a criminal? No.

Is the setup she describes very plausible?

Yes

Is it creepy AF?

Yes

Is he handling the accusations recklessly?

Yes

Unless there's been several cues and indications from the other party, inviting someone to take a shower with them is way out of line

If he comes out and specifically denies parts like this ever happened, I'll hear his side for sure. But I suspect he won't and cling to 'I legally didn't sexually abuse this woman' - which is where I'd implore people to consider context and think 'would I invite a seemingly uncomfortable and relative stranger to shower with me'

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

It would be impossible to prove an actual crime because it is one person's word against another and one of those people went out of his way to generate evidence that would give the impression that it was a lovely, consensual time. The picture, the attending of parties primarily made up of his friends and contacts, the refusal to allow phone use and of course the classic drag to side of the room aggressive guilt trip.

That, of course, is ignoring, even if legal action is taken, actual rapists usually get away with it because unless you are literally jumping on someone in a park then a jury or judges err on the side of the attacker. That's if it even makes it to trial because, again, unless you are jumped in a park, anything else is usually downplayed by those in power.

Waiting for the trial or "more evidence" is pointless and often a cover for dismissal.

Once an accusation has been made, it's down to personal choice, you either believe the victim or don't. Then what you do with your relationship to the attacker is up to you.
Solid post, thanks for articulating it.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands

There where witnesses, thats why in this case you can wait for (sort of) evidence. I hope these people speak up and tell us what they saw and how Joe was acting. But ye, when the victim is alone with the accused then is pretty hard and almost impossible to provide evidence. Luckily you can tell a lot by someones character and their action and the last couple of years some of these accusation where not suprising given the character of the actor/streamer/artist.

Chariot

Oct 26, 2017
Hamburg
hFhUcF3.png

Man, some of the takes in the Medium comments.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
For real. It's like people living in a democracy don't even know the very basis of its judiciary system: innocent until proven guilty. By the way, it's like that for a reason you know, and it's been like that ever since democracy was born.
You do realize we're not a court of law right?

This should be threadmarked.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
It's worrying that so many kids adore streamers that turn out to be bad people, even just passively watching and listening, you just don't know what they pick up and what is impressed on them. Parents probably think games equals kids, that is if they even care at all what their kids are doing?

Any parents here let their kids watch streamers?
I don't but there are tons of parents and kids out there idolizing celebrities, I hear it every day at car pickup but my kids follow the sillier side of youtube gameplayers like prestonplays and stamp Minecraft something

then you have the regular Kardashian / bachelor or bachelorette chatter at the pickup line

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
That's funny, because I see it happening at multiple points.

Let's go to a restaurant! No wait I'm actually taking you to my hotel room. Only just a minute! How about we shower together? Only kidding! Unless you really want to, then I'm not kidding. Here let me remove your only means of contacting people, and let me photograph ourselves together on the bed just in case I need to shut you down in future. Okay now I'm gonna say you're my girl on the side. You don't want to play along? Your feeling uncomfortable? You know who I am? This would be really bad for you if you dare open your mouth. Worse for you than for me, since you're a nobody.

Read all that and tell me what you're seeing. Multiple points of coercion, multiple red flags of shitty behavior. Just because he didn't assault her doesn't mean he's somehow absolved of all this harassment.
Exactly.

He is essentially trying to separate her from any form of escape and through fear of backlash, coercing her into situations she stated she didn't want to be in.

The example of the old bait and switch tactic of saying you will do one thing and it suddenly turns into another is a prime example of a predator.

I knew a guy (friend of my aunt in law) who I never liked because he was a creepy piece of shit and it was clear he would try to get into situations where he could chat with my wife (only saw him mostly at the in laws bbqs). On the day of my mother in laws funeral, after the event we all went back to the in laws and at one point my wife was going to the local shop for people and he tagged along. On the way he asked if they could quickly pop to his so he could pick something up, it ended up being further away than he said and when she got there he took long and then walked out without a shirt as he was 'just changing'. She made a point to quickly leave.

He knew she was vulnerable because it was her mother's fucking funeral and he tried to take that to his advantage. This behaviour is what Joe is doing. And for any doubt on the guy I mentioned, I was eventually told he was fired from his job at a local school for trying to groom a 16 year old (the parents didn't want the police involved) and this wasn't the first time it happened apparently. He was also the local sensei of the karate club teaching both adults and kids. I also saw him and his 17 daughter grinding to the song 'bump and grind' one time which lead to me telling the family he was a child predator, they didn't believe me and then the grooming story came out a year later so I was right all along.

If true, the story about Joe is a clear example of a predator who is essentially hunting his prey by herding them into a situation where he can pressure them into sex.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Didn't he turn into one of those anti-SJW people or am I thinking of someone else?

Considering he did a video reacting to the Last of Us leaks where he said he wouldn't play it because
Joel gets killed by "a tranny with a golf club"
? Yeah... He's gone down that road.

I hope this all turns out to be BS, because it's super shitty. But sadly I can probably see more people coming forward as a result...

Last edited:

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
If you try hard enough any victim can be blamed! No doubt written by the same kind of person who claims rape culture doesn't exist.

Pretty much

Even stretching to appreciate the grey context of some situations which I know can get confused, it seems to be implying once a girl has a boyfriend, she can't meet men ever again in any setting without offering some kind of full life disclosure

If I met a girl who specifically didn't tell me she had a boyfriend, again unless there were other cues, my first reaction wouldn't be 'hop into my shower'

Depending on the setup and response, I'd maybe lean in for a kiss. If she backed off and didn't reciprocate, I'd apologise for misreading the situ and then make an effort to keep it light and friendly in a more social setting.

End of.

Oct 27, 2017
I had a look at The Old Place this morning, as this story seemed a likely litmus test of how far that place has gone.

I.. don't recommend it. It's genuinely frightening, and that was before I went to their new politics sub forum.

Chariot

Oct 26, 2017
Hamburg
I had a look at The Old Place this morning, as this story seemed a likely litmus test of how far that place has gone.

I.. don't recommend it. It's genuinely frightening, and that was before I went to their new politics sub forum.
It does make sense. Especially given the specific trigger of the split. People who disagreed with Evil0re left and people who didn't stayed. It is expected that the split is most visible on a similiar issue.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Joe's initial reaction has been "What?! No that's lies. I'm getting a lawyer!"
So that's not a good sign. He'd better calm down and not make things worse. Because his followers and the usual crowd will follow his lead.
Scumbags are probably already harassing and digging.

Unless Joe can somehow disprove events, this should just be Joe self-reflecting, reconciling with his creepy, manipulative behavior, profusely mea culpa-ing, trying to make amends, change and better himself.

But I doubt that's what'll happen...

What would make this disastrously bad and fucked up is if her suspicion of him premeditating things by taking photos of her so he could have "proof" that she was willing, is true. The other stuff is creepy and manipulative, but that'd be on a whole other level.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Considering he did a video reacting to the Last of Us leaks where he said he wouldn't play it because

I hope this all turns out to be BS, because it's super shitty. But sadly I can probably see more people coming forward as a result...

Wait did he legit use that slur? In 2020? That alone should put people off him, jeez.

Neoriceisgood

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017

Is this quote verbatum?

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Joe's initial reaction has been "What?! No that's lies. I'm getting a lawyer!"
So that's not a good sign. He'd better calm down and not make things worse. Because his followers and the usual crowd will follow his lead.
Scumbags are probably already harassing and digging.

Unless Joe can somehow disprove events, this should just be Joe self-reflecting, reconciling with his creepy, manipulative behavior, profusely mea culpa-ing, trying to make amends, change and better himself.

But I doubt that's what'll happen...

What would make this disastrously bad and fucked up is if her suspicion of him premeditating things by taking photos of her so he could have "proof" that she was willing, is true. The other stuff is creepy and manipulative, but that'd be on a whole other level.

lmao. Apologies are worthless. Comments are just full of people calling you garbage and pointing out why its a bad apology. I guess he's going scorched earth.