• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Murdy Plops

Banned
Dec 21, 2018
This needs to be reported to the police rather than posted on social media in the first instance. If a crime has been committed it needs to be investigated.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
AJ's answer to this accusation makes it seem like it's very real tbh. I already knew he was a piece of shit but not to this extent.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Really disturbed with how many people are focused on detailing false accusations more than anything else.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I don't like Angry Joe but I still agree with that, accusing immediately based on what we currently have is not justice, it's zealotism

We're not accusing him of anything. Some of y'all played too much Ace Attorney or something.
The victim accused him of predatory behavior. We are on a discussion board and we either believe or not believe her.

Bear in mind, though, that she has some receipts, she has two people (her friend Allen and the yet unnamed person who was at the party and saw concerning shit go down) willing to step forward, and she has nothing to gain except tons of hate mail. And, only between 3 to 7% of sexual assault allegations are false according to studies.

But don't let that stop you from #IstandWithJoe.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
This needs to be reported to the police rather than posted on social media in the first instance. If a crime has been committed it needs to be investigated.
It's not a criminal offense, so the reason of talking about this happening is to let it be known AJ is an abusive dude with no qualms in harassing women. So no other people are subject to that and sponsors evaluate if they might want to be linked with known abusers.
He might not be a criminal (and we aren't the people to discern that), but as a public face, that kind of behaviour should be excised.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Let's see what happens. I never enjoy the "KNEW IT!" ride, even though I dislike the guy. This is serious and the supposed victim needs support.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
cw: suicide ment

Okay here's my big issue w/ people claiming that sexual harassment/assault/etc. allegations are fake/for clout/whatever particularly against individuals.

Can y'all think of even a single instance in which a non-famous woman alleged sexual assault/harassment/etc. against a famous man (in whatever niche community that may be) and benefitted from it? Because I can't. These women usually don't really gain any sort of long term popularity boost, they often times face a ton of harassment, and can end up losing job opportunities because of it.

Can y'all think of a single instance in which a non-famous woman alleged sexual assault/harassment/etc. against a famous man (again in whatever capacity that may be) and the dude legitimately got canceled? Like not just lost some youtube subscribers (although they often get some back via some nasty misogynists) or lost a job or a contract but found another one, but legitimately had to leave their industry??

The only instance in which I can think of anything even remotely close would be the Alec Holowka incident, in which multiple women stepped forward with a lot of evidence and we unfortunately have no way of knowing if he would have actually been 'cancelled' because he took his own life within days of the allegations coming out.

I cannot think of another instance, honestly, that even comes close.

edit: brain fart and put the wrong name. Correct name is in there now.

Last edited:

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to keep it real, as a black man I inherently view white women accusing PoC of a crime with heightened suspicion

That's cool and all. I'm a black man too, and I'm well aware there's an intersectional aspect to things. But false accusations are far more rare than actual instances of sexual assault, nevermind harrassment. Like, exponentially more. And because of men's inherent biases against women, they're much more likely to suffer punishment than actual rapists.

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
The victim accused him of predatory behavior.
I think the thread title "Angry Joe accused of sexual harassment/assault" isn't helping the discussion here. As far as I can see he isn't being accused of assault but is being accused of creepy/manipulative/predatory behaviour.

Edit: title has been changed.

Last edited:

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Not believing the victim just because you like the abuser is what offends me. Don't drag "common sense" into this.

I've been browsing the intrenet long enough to not believe everything I read outright. Sure, it raises warning signs of there may be something here, but without more, I don't see a reason to 100% believe her and 100% condemn Joe based on just this.

ok your take sucks dude but i feel like you don't know what lawyers actually do. are you maybe thinking of judges????
While I don't know the full extent of lawyer practices, I'm pretty sure they just don't take one statement and base everything on it.

MrChillaxx

Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Average people being given a platform, becoming lowkey famous and going "mad with power". Feels like every day a new creep is being outed, hopefully it'll be a lesson for the others to behav... oh who am i kidding, creeps gonna creep. Eradicate them all from the platform, Google, do the right thing.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Average people being given a platform, becoming lowkey famous and going "mad with power". Feels like every day a new creep is being outed, hopefully it'll be a lesson for the others to behav... oh who am i kidding, creeps gonna creep. Eradicate them all from the platform, Google, do the right thing.

It takes a hell of a lot less than a successful YouTube channel for people to be corrupted by 'power.' Ask women you know how they've been treated by bosses who out-earn them by $.50 an hour. I'm lucky enough that I only had to work retail for about six years while earning my degrees but I couldn't believe some of the shit I saw during that time. Some (I honestly believe most) people just can not be trusted with an ounce of power over anyone.

Nariwari

Banned
Mar 12, 2020
Don't like the guy. He came off as very arrogant when he was in front of me at a publisher's reception desk at E3 a couple of years ago. Certainly not a kind-hearted person, so this news isn't a *huge* surprise tbf.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
2am in the morning? As opposed to 2am in the afternoon? Joes on full panic mode. I know it's his epithet and all, but getting angry and screaming "lies!" isn't how to respond to a serious allegation like this. Very poor response.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad I actually read the article. At first I thought this might have been a misunderstanding on his part, but fuck no. This is sounding like a man using his small amount of power to coerce a woman into hanging out with him. The attempts to keep her from contacting anybody for hours while making her feel like she was "in debt" is red flags galore. Total creep shaming behavior.

Of course, we have people completely dismissing her claims. It was just a few hours ago where I wrote a post for the Bieber thread that never actually posted, due to it being closed. It was about how we need to be better than to immediately have a mob mentality against these people being accused (of course that depends on the evidence). In here though, it's the opposite.

Yes, we've had some recent cases where some accusations ended up being false. That doesn't mean that you should immediately regard any other future accusation as the same. Just because you're not shutting down the accusation doesn't mean you're throwing the accused to the wolves.

Each case is different, and context matters. The accuser in this case is completely aware that they lack the evidence to prove the events she described. Which is why she was hesitant in sharing this story in the first place because many would easily dismiss her claims. Believing women means that we're not going to let her be dismissed so easily and give her the platform she needs to tell her story.

The behavior by Joe that she describes is the kind that sounds like it's part of a pattern. Her story is not just for her, it's for any other possible victim that has shared her experience or even worse with this guy. It's meant to empower other victims. Her story alone won't be enough and she knows that, but at least she was able to tell it. It's also important to watch how the accused responds to these accusations. People have lost a lot on bad responses, which can also add to their guilt. If you don't believe me, just ask the guy who used run a forum that this community came from.

Just coming in here and leaving a post basically saying, "Bieber had some lies made up against him, so I'm not going to believe this one" doesn't serve anybody. It's also the reason why users who have posted 'good faith' evidence against the accusers in recent threads got instantly banned for their efforts. We're better than this.

Edit: to an above comment about the consequences of falsely accusing someone of harassment/assault/rape. It's dangerous to assume that these allegations don't have much of an effect. Johnny Depp is the immediate example here, and that's because of the length between the accusations first coming out to when the truth was actually revealed. It's been noted that Depp was suicidal and that his career took a hit, but the worst was that these things happened to a person who was an actual victim in their situation. So no, we can't assume that anybody who is falsely accused can just recover...no harm no foul. We have to be better than that.

Last edited:

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
Somebody on twitter accused Bieber of rape, and he posted receipts showing how it was physically impossible for him to be where and when the crime took place. The accuser deleted the account and ERA got made to look like fools
Being sympathetic towards serious allegations doesn't make people "look like fools", their hearts were in the right place and it turned out the person was a liar.

Your tone and attitude is pretty foolish though.

b0uncyfr0

Apr 2, 2018
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissing a sexual harassment allegation, calling an accuser a liar for no reason
I believe her story might be sensationalized. Joe approached her, but in that exact way she described - i don't quite buy it.

I will wait for proof from both sides before condemning anyone.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If this is true (this is a big IF, but for all we know this is not how it transpired, don't judge too soon), then there seems to be a decent amount of asshats between YT celebs. Perhaps its because they become celebs kind of out of the blue and can't deal with it or have no proper management to keep themselves in check. This is also evident if you read into the idiotic comments a bunch of them make. They probably don't have proper media management that would prevent them from doing so.

Not that there aren't shitheads between TV celebs, but the percentage of gaming YT streamers incidents seems kind of high to me.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe I have to point this out to some of you. Yes, doing people favours and then getting them alone so you can pressure them into sex (especially after they've already turned you down) is sexual harassment.

TwitLonger — When you talk too much for Twitter

TwitLonger is the easy way to post more than 140 characters to Twitter

This is getting depressing at this point. So many stories.
Oh wow. This person's ex is a massive piece of shit.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Back off dude, I wasn't gaslighting or doubting anyone. My point was that I don't know what happened which is a fact, I don't and neither do anyone in this thread.

Believing a victim is about investigating their claims to make sure if they're real, not automatically charging the accused party as gullty.

Do I think he did what she claims he did? You can bet I do.

Do I know if he did it or not? No, I have no means of knowing.

We aren't prosecuting anyone, not charging as guilty either, that's not our job, neither is something we can do. We aren't imparting justice.

We don't know what happened, but we choose to believe the victim and believe their history even if we don't have video evidence or something like that.

Also in cases like these, there is no 'hard evidence', is incredibly hard to make a proper conventional trial based on evidence is basically her testimony against his. So is easy: You choose to believe her for all the above reasons listed above or you believe Joe.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The article does mention how he set things up in a way to give himself an out if she ever spoke up - taking pictures of her smiling in the hotel room, keeping digital evidence to a minimum, essentially forbidding her from meeting anyone she knew.

I can only hope the other people who were there speak out. It wasn't exactly long ago, you'd hope the folks at the dinner and the bar would remember. Unless, of course, they want to stay silent to protect the reputation of a golden goose.

Personally I'm guessing at the very least Joe is an absolutely terrible flirt who bases his relationships on what he's seen in media. That's why calling out misoginy is so important.

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck angry joe. I somewhat liked him too. Her story has details that are exactly what you would remember if this happened. And from what she is saying, its clear he's using tactics to manipulate and take advantage of her. This isn't a misunderstandin. He is being calculated in how he makes advances, separates her, guilts her, etc. Guarantee you hes done this to others and it has worked.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
Can I also just say that even if you have the best of intentions if someone comes away from an interaction with you feeling like you were trying to pressure them into something they didn't want to do youve fucked up and the least you can do is own it instead of throwing a tantrum.

Fuck angry joe. I somewhat liked him too. Her story has details that are exactly what you would remember if this happened. And from what she is saying, its clear he's using tactics to manipulate and take advantage of her. This isn't a misunderstandin. He is being calculated in how he makes advances, separates her, guilts her, etc. Guarantee you hes done this to others and it has worked.
Hopefully others will come forward. Though people seem to be doing their best to intimidate them right now.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
Can anyone give an example what would be considered a "proof" for or against this story?
Because if y'all waiting to have her accusations corroborated by another man then wow women in this industry are incredibly vulnerable.

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
Wish content creators online could just ya know.... Be normal.

Is there something about Twitch/YouTube/Streaming that attracts this certain type of person because the number of fucking creeps in that community seems disproportionately high.
It requires long hours of gaming/streaming. I guess it's always going to have a disproportionate number of lonely / socially frustrated people.

Edit: on second thoughts, it's probably more to do with getting a taste of power and abusing it.

Last edited:

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Somebody on twitter accused Bieber of rape, and he posted receipts showing how it was physically impossible for him to be where and when the crime took place. The accuser deleted the account and ERA got made to look like fools

Plus the thread got locked after the receipts so 90% of the people who saw it before hand still have the original accusation in their mind and not the resolution for the 10% who saw it before it falls off the first page which just leads to confusion where people don't know there has been updates.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I use to watch a lot of his reviews, but lately stopped watching, as yeah, there were a lot of changes that i wasn't a fan of. This is definitely fucked up, and if she really does have witnesses who can confirm this, that'd be great.

To the people who are saying we shouldn't jump to conclusions, A. It's always in bad faith to not side with teh accuser, especially when coming out about assault/ harassment can lead to threats/ even worse. B. Taking this seriously and siding with the accuser is the best way to get Joe to acknowledge this, which he has, and to provide proof that there wasn't harassment/ assault. If we're wrong and there was no harassment/ assault, then we're wrong, but it's the best way to go about it without negatively affecting hte accuser, in case she is right. Knowing she has support, even if it's only a few extra people on here, can help her provide more proof, and help to avoid and issue where threats/ further harassment keeps her quiet.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This is awful, what an asshole

Can these famous people not find anyone who actually wants to sleep with them? I mean there must be some girls out there who feel that way, yet they seem to want to be slimy and weird and creepy and try and trick and coerce girls into sleeping with them

I guess it's just that they see something and want it, and feel like they can use their status to get it, but I imagine the idea of doing that comes off as completely alien to 99% of the population

How bad does your sex life have to be for you to aspire to sleep with someone who isn't into you? Like, if your dream is to fuck someone who is at best, reluctant to sleep with you, you must be shocking in bed

No wonder he's angry