• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Also how can the argument be that it should be left to government to regulate when the head of said government was the one who is causing this problem and has a ton of people in that same government who want him to be able to continue doing so?

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Free speech in the US =/= free speech in Germany or the EU. What she's saying is that the regulation of hate speech and incitement of violence should be done by the law, not private corporations. Last year, Germany has passed a hate speech bill to combat hate speech on social media websites, and the government wants to further crack down on online hate speech and extremism. This is something the US should do as there are no hate speech laws in the US, that's basically what she's saying. Considering it took Twitter four years and a terrorist attack to act, I would say she's right...
An abjectly pointless call because you literally can't have hate speech laws in the us, those were ruled unconstitutional.

She might as well be saying Trump shouldn't have been banned from twitter instead the government should have amended their constitution to force Twitter to ban Trump... which lol is like saying the government should immediately start using teleporters so we don't need airplanes anymore in terms of useful calls for action.

She' s talking about an American company taking action against an American person in America so who fucking cares about how it's done in Germany, when it's impossible to do it like that in the united States.

Last edited:

deathkiller

Apr 11, 2018
Schneck v US was overturned by later court cases. Current precedent is that are almost no governmental limitations on speech.
So this is not true?:
Advocacy of force or criminal activity does not receive First Amendment protections if (1) the advocacy is directed to inciting or producing imminent lawless action, and (2) is likely to incite or produce such action.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
It's always interesting to see seemingly smart people step in shit. I get what she is saying about gov't cracking down on hate speech but criticizing Twitters action is juicy red meat for hate groups and is being upvoted and echoed in all the wrong places today.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
She is absolutely right, what are you guys smoking? You hoped for 4 years some billionaire would do the right thing instead of having laws that prevented certain people from practicing hate speech regardless of what said billionaire thinks about.

It should not be in the power of tech billionaires to lead the charge on public discussions, that should be the job of lawmakers.

As soon as Trump spread lies on social media and harassed people online or talk shit about storming the capitol his account should have been locked by law, not by the whim of a tech company.
That's ideal. But that's not really how it works. First, even if you could prosecute the president, it would take years to go through the process. If you involve the government restricting rights, it will require the government going through due process through the course of a conviction. One could argue that maybe a court would allow an account to be restricted through a trial, but he has unlimited resources and is the president. Not a stretch that he'd find a judge that would allow him to maintain his accounts.

The other issue is that the current legal reality is that a president can't be prosecuted. So the government wouldn't be able to step in the first place. What she's asking for are likely multiple Constitutional amendments to fix this, which have zero shot of happening.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Also I don't know how anyone can say with a straight face that Twitter and other Social Media platforms haven't bent over backwards to PROTECT Trump and other conservatives free speech when it comes to violating their rules.

Either you want elected officials to be above the law or not.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, okay, we should just do nothing then and be glad Silicon Valley finally acted after four years of this. Let's all cross our fingers and hope someone who isn't actually an idiot doesn't create a fresh platform that actually succeeds.

'Outside the actual bubble'. As if this is an isolated incident and can never happen again. Structural changes need to be made.

I didn't say we should do nothing. I just think the reaction is totally made from hindsight and with out practicality. This country and tech giants can come up with a framework to deal with hate speech especially of this kind. Whether it pans out to the point sctous lets it fly or it has any real power would definitely be my beef.

I never said it couldn't happen again but talking about reforming such things to distract from what really happened just shows where her head is at. She could've made these comments well before the 6th, that response comes off as deflection.

excelsiorlef hits the nail on the head why trying to deal with the problem isn't easy it's equally as bad as saying we need to fix the 2nd amendment, well big fucking duh got a way though, nope didn't think so.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
She's saying:

a) US needs to change its constitution to allow single legal definition of when/why free speech is limited or even punished

I think the issue here is that people, including Merkel, are treating this idea as a simple solution America could just do. It betrays a lack of understanding of just how foundational the constitution is.

Like, I agree with the idea in principle. We SHOULD have stronger laws against violent and inciteful speech. Problem is we ALSO live in a country where 74 million people just voted to reelect this man and would likely make it impossible to legislate against him or his clones.

Within the confines of American law, this is an aspirational solution to a very real problem that needed to be addressed, like, yesterday.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's ideal. But that's not really how it works. First, even if you could prosecute the president, it would take years to go through the process. If you involve the government restricting rights, it will require the government going through due process through the course of a conviction. One could argue that maybe a court would allow an account to be restricted through a trial, but he has unlimited resources and is the president. Not a stretch that he'd find a judge that would allow him to maintain his accounts.

The other issue is that the current legal reality is that a president can't be prosecuted. So the government wouldn't be able to step in the first place. What she's asking for are likely multiple Constitutional amendments to fix this, which have zero shot of happening.
Well, that's a problem the US could solve it it really wanted. In a lot of countries President can and are prosecuted and have to akt according the law... how fucked up is it actually that one guy is above that? Lol.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I think this thread title seems more reasonable, but you can't appeal to a country of idiots who never cared. I'd wager the US would make universal healthcare unconstitional since it won't make rich men richer.

BlueGeezer

Oct 28, 2017
She is 100% correct.

To those opposing what exactly did you think of the fact that twitter only banned him at the end of his presidency? The fact that they made as much money out of him until it was untenable to keep him? They knew it was a couple of weeks until they were going to ban him anyway!

You think this is acceptable? Businesses will follow money not ToS!

Orrrr maybe we should have a law that would stop him being on any platform?

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think I've ever seen so many people miss the point in one thread.

Merkel isn't arguing that Twitter shouldn't have banned Trump; she's saying that the decision never should have been theirs to begin with. There should have been legislation targeting hate speech on social media platforms that would have operated to force Twitter's hand lest they face criminal sanction.

Some people have mentioned in this thread that the Constitution prevents such legislation from existing. This argument misses the point since your Constitution is, indeed, a part of your system of laws, and it's equally valid to frame this criticism as being about the absence of legislation as it is to frame it as being about a flawed Constitution. It is worth noting that many countries interpret "freedom of speech" (or its analogues, like freedom of expression) in such a way that allows them to regulate hate speech.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Years of people complaining Twitter isn't doing anything. They finally act in the last week of the presidency and now all of a sudden relying on the moral compass of big tech's shareholders is the better alternative?
It's literally the only alternative in the US... any application of American speech laws to Twitter only widens what you can say on Twitter. A twitter that must full on follow the US 1st amendment would expand white supremacists ability to organize and harass, I'd question if Twitter would even be allowed to remove doxxing tweets for example immediately.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
"This fundamental right can be intervened in, but according to the law and within the framework defined by legislators — not according to a decision by the management of social media platforms ."

I don't even understand how this would be a good thing having the government decide what constitutes free speech.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I think that's a very fair opinion. But is handing power and expecting private entities to handle speech not a similar double-edged sword? I'm not being facetious, I'm genuinely curious as I haven't fully thought out the implications of both. If we believe deplatforming works, are we agreeing that people like Jack Dorsey, Mark Zuckerberg, etc. are effectively in control of what we say and how we think? Is that better or worse than the government? On the flip side, private power allows for the owners of free speech to be fractured, and not unified, like a government entity. But are we adequately prepared to defend against a free speech monopolist?

In the US it is the only option. There's no better or worse because only private companies can regulate speech to a narrow degree than what the 1st amendment says.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
It makes sense for a democratic government to try and deplatform discrimination/hate groups and facist ideology. There are good reasons for wanting to regulate hate-speech, given where it can lead. Kind if weird for people look to the corporations to sort this shit out, as if they had any moral obligation other than lining their pockets.

I assume most of the drive-by-posts were a reaction to the original thread title, and not the idea of regulating discrimination and hate speech?

I mean its illegal in many places for businesses to discriminate when offering goods and services, why is okay for people to discriminate using those goods or services?

Pretty sure you can kick someone out of your store for saying Heil Hitler

Oct 30, 2017
"This fundamental right can be intervened in, but according to the law and within the framework defined by legislators — not according to a decision by the management of social media platforms ."

I don't even understand how this would be a good thing having the government decide what constitutes free speech.
Germany:

Volksverhetzung, in English "incitement of the masses", "instigation of the people" (the official English translation of the German Criminal Code uses "incitement to hatred"[1][2]), is a concept in German criminal law that refers to incitement to hatred against segments of the population and refers to calls for violent or arbitrary measures against them, including assaults against the human dignity of others by insulting, maliciously maligning, or defaming segments of the population.[1][2][3]

It is often applied to, though not limited to, trials relating to Holocaust denial in Germany. The criminal code (Strafgesetzbuch) Chapter 7 (Offences against public order), Paragraph 130 (Incitement to hatred) of the Federal Republic of Germany defines when a person is guilty of Volksverhetzung.[1][2][3]

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City

Merkel isn't arguing that Twitter shouldn't have banned Trump; she's saying that the decision never should have been theirs to begin with. There should have been legislation targeting hate speech on social media platforms that would have operated to force Twitter's hand lest they face criminal sanction.

Some people have mentioned in this thread that the Constitution prevents such legislation from existing. This argument misses the point since your Constitution is, indeed, a part of your system of laws, and it's equally valid to frame this criticism as being about the absence of legislation as it is to frame it as being about a flawed Constitution. It is worth noting that many countries interpret "freedom of speech" (or its analogues, like freedom of expression) in such a way that allows them to regulate hate speech.
The constitution is fundamentally really difficult to change. With the level of polarization we have in the US, asking for changes on that level is a non-starter. We have to work within its constrains and develop new legislation to fix our issues. Winning the Senate helps, but with the fillibuster in place I'm not hopeful for huge laws getting passed. The republicans as always will refuse to cooperate, and our nation continues to slide further down the drain.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
For the people criticizing Merkels timing: here in the Netherlands we also have our Trump like idiots who do everything they can to spread misinformation. And I wouldn't be surprised if our neighbors to the east have them as well. And now all of that has culminated in an insurrection. Fueled by the words of an authoritarian, white supremacist populist, who is trying to overthrow democracy. I feel it makes sense that this has the German head of state worried, and she talks about how this can combated and prevented. For very obvious reasons.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas

A Constitutional issue isn't the same thing as a regular law through legislation. Yes, sure criticism on how amendments have to happen, but that's it what it is. The standard to pass an amendment is nearly impossible now given how divided the country is. So the reality is that we have to work within the existing framework.

Like I said, there is real likelihood that Trump did expose himself to legal liability. This issue is that this Department of Justice says a president is above the law. And waiting until after doesn't solve much for the moment going on now as we speak.

We all know the issues with constitutional amendments. We really don't need her telling us that.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She's right but that's not happening in the us.

The state should have laws around hate speech and they should be the law on every platform and for everyone (especially people in power).

But i don't understand why she's saying this right now. Even with all 3 branches under democratic control things won't change. And she know this.

Deleted member 82064

Banned
Sep 29, 2020

Works fine in various European countries, including Germany.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Germany:

Volksverhetzung, in English "incitement of the masses", "instigation of the people" (the official English translation of the German Criminal Code uses "incitement to hatred"[1][2]), is a concept in German criminal law that refers to incitement to hatred against segments of the population and refers to calls for violent or arbitrary measures against them, including assaults against the human dignity of others by insulting, maliciously maligning, or defaming segments of the population.[1][2][3]

It is often applied to, though not limited to, trials relating to Holocaust denial in Germany. The criminal code (Strafgesetzbuch) Chapter 7 (Offences against public order), Paragraph 130 (Incitement to hatred) of the Federal Republic of Germany defines when a person is guilty of Volksverhetzung.[1][2][3]

This is the United States. We've literally been unable to pass an Antilynching bill for literally over 100 years something that shouldn't even be controversial. Considering how radical people have gotten do you honestly think lawmakers could pass anything that would be seen as restricting free speech.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
An important example: America is a country where, for years now, our Legislative body has been in a practical deadlock because one man, Mitch McConnell, who is not even the President, could simply block ANY legislation he didn't like from even hitting the President's desk.

It's stupid, it's trash, this should not be possible, it should be changed. We know that. We ALL know that.

But it also makes, "hey...have y'all maybe considered changing your constitution?" takes so wildly off the mark in addressing what the problem is.

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think the issue here is that people, including Merkel, are treating this idea as a simple solution America could just do. It betrays a lack of understanding of just how foundational the constitution is.

Like, I agree with the idea in principle. We SHOULD have stronger laws against violent and inciteful speech. Problem is we ALSO live in a country where 74 million people just voted to reelect this man and would likely make it impossible to legislate against him or his clones.

Within the confines of American law, this is an aspirational solution to a very real problem that needed to be addressed, like, yesterday.
TBH I doubt she thinks it can "just be done". However it's not her issue to fix it. It may seem irritating but she's pointing out the issue not providing answers; and I guess being critical it's not being done.

It may need workarounds short term, etc due to how hard it is (such as pushing corporations to regulate) but it's becoming essentially the view every western country I think that the 1st & 2nd amendments need to change, and unless there's a major sea change in a better direction post Trump if you're American I'd brace yourself to hear this or similar rhetoric increasingly if they continue to be abused as they have been and are being.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Here come the MAGAs saying "slippery slope" till the end of time because not protecting racism means the end of free speech as we know it. I mean look at Germany.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
At what specifically? Do European countries have state control over what is on Twitter?
Twitter is indeed following the german hate-speech laws and is banning users and removing posts for the german user base if there's a violation.
Because of this there are several alt-right accounts that are not viewable if you switch your twitter account location to germany.

Every report gets also checked if it violates the Twitter ToS (resulting in a global ban) or if it violates the german laws (resulting in a germany-only ban):
twittr.png

Oct 30, 2017
This is the United States. We've literally been unable to pass an Antilynching bill for literally over 100 years something that shouldn't even be controversial. Considering how radical people have gotten do you honestly think lawmakers could pass anything that would be seen as restricting free speech.
I just answered the question "how this would be a good thing having the government decide what constitutes free speech".

If the US is able to do this (and do this responsibly) is another question of course.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

Like I said if her argument really is the United States Constitution's approach to free speech sucks America should change that! Then she might as well be saying The American Airlines system sucks America should install teleporters in everyone's homes.

The United States Constitution is by design nigh immalleable, it is a waste of everyone's time to talk about changing it, period.

It is especially a waste of time to suggest that is the better option than right now Twitter removing Trump.

Because only one can actually happen.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Super rich considering Germany has strong rules against hate speech and violence.

Yep, this doesn't compute with the law we have on hate-speech and how companies have to adhere to German law even if a foreigner views the post.

The criticism on twitter about Trumps ban is going the wrong way, if someone is critizicing twitter for the Trump ban, they should call out the company on all the other violent inciting tweets and posts from the rest of America and the world.

Trumps ban was a great win but seems hollow and a political move instead of TOS when you have so many awful people spouting hateful things on Twitter.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, fuck that. Also, pretty rich coming from a country that already has very extensive rules against hate speech - why should we be told to tolerate it when they make it 100% illegal themselves?

That's what she wants to happen in America as well. She's saying that the US should legislate hate speech instead of relying on the tech companies doing it themselves. Her mistake is assuming that a person has freedom of speech rights on a private platform. Twitter and the rest aren't the government, so no one's freedom of speech rights are being curtailed.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
It's my understanding that Brandenburg vs. Ohio is the current law of the land, which does establish the "clear and present danger" standard. It's a very specific (and hard to prove) limit, but it's a limit.
Brandenburg is, yes. The issue is that Brandenburg didn't create limitations; it instead removed almost every limitation. A fact that was later emphasized with Hess. Applications of Brandenburg are almost always about why the individual's hate or lawless speech was in fact protected.

So yes, there is barest of limitations in theory. But in execution, the difference between imminent action and actual action (or planning) is so small that the free speech violation is a moot point.

Trump might be the first (well known) dumbass to thread this speech limitation needle

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
In principal I agree with her. In an ideal world, Twitter shouldn't need to do what it did as the government has properly regulated hate speech against any person including the president to open them up to prosecution. But in reality, and in "free speech at all costs" mentality of the US, it was the best thing for them to do.

But her main point still stands, the US needs better hate speech controls against their 1st amendment. Twitter wouldn't need to do anything if it was easier to prosecute someone for such speech, thus making people not want to post items that they can be prosecuted for.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird to have people claim that others' aren't paying attention because there is a clear claim in the article that Twitter should not have banned Trump, in fact it goes further and seems to claim that Twitter should not have been able to ban him unless the government said they could...

So again when people laugh at that, how is that not paying attention to what is being said.

Deleted member 69501

Banned
May 16, 2020
I understand the critisim and I even agree with it.

Essential she's suggesting that laws mandate the way social media restrict content. If those laws were in place DT woulda been blocked years prior to becoming president. However, the problem with her statment is that instituting laws control speech in the states is nearly impossible. This is obviously not the case in EU as their views of free speech is totally different. In other words, her ire should be directed to America's definition of free speech

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
But her main point still stands, the US needs better hate speech controls against their 1st amendment.

And this makes sense in context of some global discussion on free speech, not as a suggestion, as you agree, for what should have happened instead of Twitter taking it on themselves to ban Trump.

So I actually think her main point doesn't stand because it's entirely within the context of Twitter banning Trump here. Fundamentally all she is saying is Trump shouldn't have been banned by Twitter.... everything else is superfluous.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
This is like when celebrities circle the wagon about "cancel culture" when another celebrity is accused of doing something heinous, even if they personally don't like that other celebrity. They think that if it happens to someone else, it will happen to them.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
And this makes sense in context of some global discussion on free speech, not as a suggestion, as you agree, for what should have happened instead of Twitter taking it on themselves to ban Trump.

So I actually think her main point doesn't stand because it's entirely within the context of Twitter banning Trump here. Fundamentally all she is saying is Trump shouldn't have been banned by Twitter.... everything out is superfluous.
Ding Ding Ding.