• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who wins the rematch?

• Joshua via Decision

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Joshua vs KO/TKO

Votes: 16 42.1%
  • Ruiz via Decision

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Ruiz vs KO/TKO

Votes: 16 42.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that they are aligned with completely different networks and promoters makes me dubious that a Joshua fight with either Fury or Wilder will happen any time soon, no matter how much lip service Hearn or any one else wants to pay. Each has their own massive financial interests that are in direct conflict with each other.
Hearn and AJ aren't even giving lip service anymore.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They've just basically confirmed a third fight will happen and the fury/wilder fight wont.

It should be obvious by now it isnt happening.

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017
For us casuals, what's stopping a Joshua/Wilder fight, that seems by far to be the biggest money maker (along with Fury/Wilder)

Oct 25, 2017
What's all this avoiding Wilder\Fury talk? They were offered the AJ fight ( confirmed by all parties) and rejected it, as did Grandpa Ortiz.

Shit on the big racist all you want, but he ain't no ducker.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
For us casuals, what's stopping a Joshua/Wilder fight, that seems by far to be the biggest money maker (along with Fury/Wilder)

Wilder is signed with PBC, which has a multi year and multimillion dollar PPV deal with Fox Sports/InDemand. Joshua is signed with Matchroom, which has a huge contract to broadcast fights on DAZN (via a monthly subscription, not the traditional PPV model). There's always been issues in boxing with promoters getting in the way of making the fights happen, but the last few years, as networks and sub services have been desperate for content, those promoters are also signing deals with specific networks, which only complicates things further.

Oct 28, 2017
AJ is scared to death of Wilder. His reputation is already worse off after the loss to Ruiz in the first fight. He wouldn't survive a big loss to Wilder.

Fighting Fury would make more sense stylistically, in my opinion.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wilder is signed with PBC, which has a multi year and multimillion dollar PPV deal with Fox Sports/InDemand. Joshua is signed with Matchroom, which has a huge contract to broadcast fights on DAZN (via a monthly subscription, not the traditional PPV model). There's always been issues in boxing with promoters getting in the way of making the fights happen, but the last few years, as networks and sub services have been desperate for content, those promoters are also signing deals with specific networks, which only complicates things further.
While True, Fury and Wilder were able to make the rematch despite Fury signing with Top Rank and ESPN.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
AJ is scared to death of Wilder. His reputation is already worse off after the loss to Ruiz in the first fight. He wouldn't survive a big loss to Wilder.

Thats BS.

AJ is still by far the biggest draw in the division. Its not even close. People said his stock would go down after the Ruiz defeat but just wait to the PPV numbers come in. Will be huge. Fighters don't just stop drawing money when they lose. Fighting elite fighters you will lose one way or the other.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Ruiz vs Wilder would be pretty good if we don't get AJ to fight Wilder, it would be fun to see if Ruiz can eat Wilder's right hand & then come back swinging.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
While True, Fury and Wilder were able to make the rematch despite Fury signing with Top Rank and ESPN.

Top Rank/ESPN still use a PPV model though. Probably makes it easier to split up revenue. How do you do that when PBC wants to charge $70 for a single event while DAZN has a $19.99 monthly subscription?

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Top Rank/ESPN still use a PPV model though. Probably makes it easier to split up revenue. How do you do that when PBC wants to charge $70 for a single event while DAZN has a $19.99 monthly subscription?
True, but I'm just saying PBC/FOX and Top Rank/ESPN still partnered up. They'll just have to come to some form of agreement. Wilder himself isn't signed to a network.

Oct 28, 2017
Thats BS.

AJ is still by far the biggest draw in the division. Its not even close. People said his stock would go down after the Ruiz defeat but just wait to the PPV numbers come in. Will be huge. Fighters don't just stop drawing money when they lose. Fighting elite fighters you will lose one way or the other.
Biggest money draw? Sure. Wilder is an American boxer and the sport isn't as popular as it is in the UK and abroad. But no one sane is saying Joshua is the best anymore. And that's after a slightly controversial TKO loss.

Money aside, what would be the talking points if AJ got slept by Wilder?

There is no upside to him challenging Wilder. The money would be nice, if he could win, but he and his people obviously have serious doubts that he can. The money can be made up elsewhere and would be the smarter business decision.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
True, but I'm just saying PBC/FOX and Top Rank/ESPN still partnered up. They'll just have to come to some form of agreement. Wilder himself isn't signed to a network.

Promoters partnered up in the past. The advent of promoters tying themselves to subscription services and networks makes that more complicated. Like even at its most basic, who airs a prospective Wilder/AJ match? Oftentimes those things are enough to throw a wrench into a plan. If a promoter (either for Wilder or AJ) feels they can make more money fighting some can than putting on the match everybody wants, they'll just do that. These guys don't give a fuck.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Biggest money draw? Sure. Wilder is an American boxer and the sport isn't as popular as it is in the UK and abroad. But no one sane is saying Joshua is the best anymore. And that's after a slightly controversial TKO loss.

Money aside, what would be the talking points if AJ got slept by Wilder?

No but his in the discussion. I remember when Lennox lost to Rahman, upsets happen.

If AJ lost to Wilder but the fight was competitive he simply gets back on the horse. Win or lose AJ isn't getting starched by Wilder in 2 rounds. AJ comfortably outboxes Wilder its just Wilder always has that equaliser with his power.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You're framing it wrong, The money he was offered was pathetic compared to what the overall revenue that was going to be generated especially from North America.

Not so much. The revenue generated in the states was always overplayed by team Wilder. At that time Wilder couldn't say he brings x amount of ppv's to the table or a huge gate. His never drew big money.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Promoters partnered up in the past. The advent of promoters tying themselves to subscription services and networks makes that more complicated. Like even at its most basic, who airs a prospective Wilder/AJ match? Oftentimes those things are enough to throw a wrench into a plan. If a promoter (either for Wilder or AJ) feels they can make more money fighting some can than putting on the match everybody wants, they'll just do that. These guys don't give a fuck.
While true, all I'm just saying is Wilder specifically made certain he didn't sign with a network so he can potentially make those figths with others on different networks.

Oct 28, 2017
It's a fact. He was offered the fight and refused. Probably because he's never fought anyone decent in his entire career.
Ortiz and Fury don't qualify as decent?

Let's be real here, Wilder isn't the one with a lack of self confidence, and he is more than willing to fight smarter and more technically capable fighters than he.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not so much. The revenue generated in the states was always overplayed by team Wilder. At that time Wilder couldn't say he brings x amount of ppv's to the table or a huge gate. His never drew big money.
Wilder vs Joshua on PPV would have made huge money even at that time. Haymon knew this, but Hearn tried to underpay him. Now Wilder's value is way more than it ever was and DAZN was trying to sign him for over 100 million for only 3 fights. It's obvious Haymon and Wilder knew what they were doing.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wilder vs Joshua on PPV would make huge money even at that time. Haymon knew this, but Hearn tried to underpay him. Now Wilder's value is way more than it ever was and DAZN was trying to sign him for over 100 million for only 3 fights. It's obvious Haymon and Wilder knew what they were doing.

It would do good numbers but it isn't Wilder who brings those numbers. Shit AJ v Ruiz sold out MSG. Wilder as an American has never sold that many tickets.

Oct 28, 2017
No but his in the discussion. I remember when Lennox lost to Rahman, upsets happen.

If AJ lost to Wilder but the fight was competitive he simply gets back on the horse. Win or lose AJ isn't getting starched by Wilder in 2 rounds. AJ comfortably outboxes Wilder its just Wilder always has that equaliser with his power.
We've seen AJ gassed before late. We've witnessed Wilder's power late. Getting KO'd for the first time does something to a fighter, and I just don't believe in AJ's heart.
Yeah, and Fury's win was stolen. Fury rock Joshua? He could barely rock a baby in a cradle. He'd possibly outbox him though.
Maybe Fury should have won, maybe he got a favorable count. I think the draw was apt for the situation.

Edit: After a quick rewatch, no, I don't believe Fury got a favorable count. But I will admit to liking the draw keeping both fighters records unblemished.

Last edited:

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It would do good numbers but it isn't Wilder who brings those numbers. Shit AJ v Ruiz sold out MSG. Wilder as an American has never sold that many tickets.
Who cares about ticket sales, despite the fact Wilder vs AJ in Vegas would be a sellout for a huge amount of money. The PPV in American money would be huge. Wilder/Haymon have leverage and they know it.

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017

Wilder would knock him out in 7 rounds. AJ is hittable and Wilder is better and tougher.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
Best possible AJ showed up for this fight against a below average Ruiz was about it. Ruiz is going to need to take a few more fights before the third fight (I don't see it happening). Run Parker v. Ruiz back, it was a close fight leaning to Ruiz but Parker got the hometown decision. And maybe another one. Ruiz in his current state is perfect for the old AJ. For the new AJ he'll need to find ways to cut the ring off, close that distance and force close quarters. But his height and reach put him at a serious disadvantage for doing that.

Ruiz beating wilder or fury is pretty laughable. Against Fury he'll just get outclassed and Wilder only needs to be perfect for a few seconds but Wilder will have plenty of time to be perfect. Ruiz isn't exactly quick on his feet and Wilder will have plenty of time to setup.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
AJ dominated this time around. He wasn't too eager to go in (that's what cost him the last fight), and he made use of his jab. I don't see people clamoring for another fight with Andy after this. I'd want (well, everyone wants) to see a unification match against Deoantay.

I'm wondering when that it'll be... Not anytime soon, it seems.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
AJ dominated this time around. He wasn't too eager to go in (that's what cost him the last fight), and he made use of his jab. I don't see people clamoring for another fight with Andy after this. I'd want (well, everyone wants) to see a unification match against Deoantay.

I'm wondering when that it'll be... Not anytime soon, it seems.
Well the winner of Wilder vs Fury. The world will be clamoring for Joshua to fight the winner. We just need to put pressure on everybody to make it.