• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Man hadn't he been at GI for a super long time? Good for him.
Crap EA? Never mind tough break kid.

don't follow game journalists much but I enjoyed him in game informer back when I had a subscription a few years ago

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This is like the Super Saiyan Blue version of the "game journalist gets hired by a publisher as a community manager" trope.

Hopefully he does a good job - messaging has never been one of EA's strengths.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Good luck. They are one of the most tone deaf companies around so having someone with a soul there can only help.
Their presentations are poor and their communication seems robotic. Cut the influencer crap and get back to basics.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
It is the easiest thing in the world for gamers to shit on EA, often for good reason.

THAT SAID, I feel like with their last showcase they do seem to be at least trying more, or at the very least, positioning themselves to deliver more in the next generation. Key to that will be a good marketing arm to try and win back support and trust from a large part of the gaming community.

Hiring Andy McNamara seems to be a great first step towards doing that, and I only hope that he both finds success in this new role and that EA don't make the job nigh-on impossible for him.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
unfortunately andy mcnamara's first job will be to announce the closure of Bioware, permanently staining his legacy at EA

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
Reminds me of what happened with Andrew Goldfarb (IGN > Sucker Punch)

Wish him the best.

Oct 27, 2017
I like Andy a lot, and communications is definitely something that EA can use some help with, so I will remain optimistic.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
The Games Media -> Games PR treadmill still running like a well oiled machine.

With the recent conversations about how games journalism is actually dependent on appeasing companies for access and how companies shouldn't push back against journalists it's an interesting thing to think about for sure.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this is a good thing for EA. I'd like to believe they've been trying to do a lot behind the scenes. Their game announcements have been pretty sparse but a game like Fallen Order gets my hopes up. hiring someone like Andy I feel like could show that they are looking for a direction change. Game development obviously takes a long time so I'd imagine it'd be a little while before we see the results of this.

azfaru

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Congrats on the new job but never been a fan of EA so it's tough to be excited about this. Probably haven't bought an EA game since Mirror's Edge 2. Even that was a quite a bummer.

Nov 2, 2017
mj-laughing.gif

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, hiring a well-liked and trusted voice from the press was a great get for EA. And a good move for Mcnamara since GI, unfortunately, seems like a sinking ship.

ron_bato

Oct 25, 2017
Been a huge fan of Andy Mac for a long time now, so big congrats to him regardless of how one feels about EA. Good luck!

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Good for him. That guy was at GI FOREVER. Glad he got himself a nice new position at a game company

Oct 27, 2017
Though they probably have an existing team, hiring (back) the people laid off under gamestop to make his new team would be a remarkable move.

Still, I wonder how long game enthusiast sites will start making things up about him now that he is working for a game-making company.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not the first time I've seen veteran game press people move on up to working for video game companies.